Start by marking “Teen Frankenstein (High School Horror Story #1)” as Want to Read:
Teen Frankenstein (High School Horror Story #1)

Teen Frankenstein

(High School Horror Story #1)

3.49  ·  Rating details ·  273 Ratings  ·  95 Reviews
High school meets classic horror in this groundbreaking new series.

It was a dark and stormy night when Tor Frankenstein accidentally hit someone with her car. And killed him. But all is not lost--Tor, being the scientific genius she is, brings him back to life...

Thus begins a twisty, turn-y take on a familiar tale, set in the town of Hollow Pines, Texas, where high school
Published January 12th 2016 by Feiwel & Friends

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
www.melissa413readsalot.blotspot.com

Who doesn't love Frankenstein?

I thought the book was okay for what it was, I loved the concept. I just didn't love the book to death. That being said, there will be tons of people to love this book and that is great :)

As you can read in the blurb, Victoria (Tor) Frankenstein takes after her late father in the Science department, but she goes a little bit further and creates her own re-animated being. She does this with the help of her best friend Owen, which
grace
Mar 28, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.75!! Video review to come!
Chandler Baker
Nov 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Writing this book was a five-star experience, so there you go.
Lori Goldstein
Nov 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A modern spin on the tale of Frankenstein brings a character in Tor who is complex and determined. But the cost of "success" begins to gnaw at her edges once her "Adam" is brought back to life. Full of scenes that haunt in true horror form, it's also a book that speaks to what friendship and love mean and the lengths we'd all go to keep them alive. And in the author's very capable hands, it does all of this while being well-written, entertaining, and surprising. Great read.
Jazmen
Apr 12, 2016 rated it liked it
This review can also be found on YA Books Central:

A unique retelling, with humor on almost every page. I laughed out loud quite a bit--but what should have been it's saving grace, just barely saved a fairly slow moving story.

Victoria Frankenstein aka "Tor," is a mad scientist...okay maybe she's not mad--but she is a scientist. Following in her father's scientist footsteps--Tor's been attempting to raise the dead--dead mice that is. It's something she's bee
Sparkleypenguin
Once Upon a Twilight
I wanted to read this book because of the twist on a very classic story: that of the monster of Frankenstein. In this version of the story, the genius is a 17 year-old girl named Victoria and it takes place in the present time. The reason I didn't give it a higher rating is because, in my opinion, there were a few flaws to the story to make it more interesting and entertaining.

So the book starts with Victoria driving back home from her friend Owen's house late at night in the heavy rain when she
Liz at Midnight Bloom Reads
Victoria "Tor" Frankenstein didn't mean to hit someone with her car—and kill them—when she was driving home one stormy night. It might be too late to take the stranger to the hospital, but maybe his death can finally give Tor the breakthrough she needs in her research on reanimation. Ignoring her small pang of guilt, Tor drags the broken body back to her car and shocks the teen boy back to life in her cellar, her makeshift laboratory where she experiments on dead animals.

With the help of her bes
Cherry (_forevermint)
In terms of enjoyment, this is easily 4 stars. However, the ending was not what I expected at all and I hoped for a little more. Overall, this is was an incredibly fun, fast-paced read that takes the original Frankenstein story and adds a quirky high school twist to it. The title of the book couldn't have been any more perfect.

I suspected this would be like a retelling of sorts based on the title alone but it never really felt like one until the very end, which was the exact opposite of what I
Tanja Voosen
Auf dieses Buch habe ich mich im Januar mega gefreut, aber es konnte meine Erwartungen leider nicht erfüllen. Ich fand es auch alles andere als schlecht, allerdings kratzt der Autor immer nur die Oberfläche sämtlicher Themen an und die Logik ließ auch etwas zu wünschen übrig, was die Erklärungen zum ganzen "Frankenstein Thema" anging. Dabei fand ich die Idee echt mega!

Es geht um ein junges Mädchen, das eine Nachfahrin von Frankenstein in der modernen Zeit ist und eben Experimente durchführt, in
Ionia
Oct 18, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There have been a lot of Frankenstein remakes, but few that I thought were worth reading. This book, however, is an exception. This novel was a lot of fun, and if you like horror, this has some of the classic horror elements, but fits neatly into the modern day world.

The author did a good job of making this book feel dark and atmospheric and never quite giving away enough info that the reader could guess what was going to happen next. From the beginning, this book was entertaining and drew me r
Petra
Well, I liked this. It was creepy, and very thought provoking.
Roxanne
Oct 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: coun-libstl
Between a 4.5 and 5. I kind of loved this, but won't lie the ending fell a little flat for me.
Jezire C Akin
Apr 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, books-i-own
I know it looks like it took forever for me to read this and that is only because I have been so busy! Finally done. Really enjoyable and a fun mix of highschool drama and the classic Frankenstein tale.
Anne
After Tor Frankenstein's dad's unexpected death, her mom loses herself in an alcoholic stupor and Tor spends more and more time in the science lab she and her dad had shared. She's conducting experiments to bring dead rats back to life. When she hits and kills a person, she decides to try it on a person instead - and it works! However, there are some unexpected side effects.
For those who aren't ready for either the classic Frankenstein by Shelley or the horror novels of Stephen King, this might
Shannon L. Gonzalez
Book Review: An awesome way to get YA readers interested in STEM via fiction!

Teen Frankenstein: High School Horror
by Chandler Baker

Meet Victoria “Tor” Frankenstein, a high school student on track to be valedictorian. She and her best friend, Owen, are in her Hollow Pines, Texas root cellar turned science lab. They are trying to reanimate dead rats ominously named Mr. Bubbles. As a storm approaches and it nears two o’clock in the morning, Victoria drives Owen home. On her return the rain is tor
Caidyn (SEMI-HIATUS; BW Reviews; he/him/his)
While this took me a while to read, I really enjoyed this book. Setting it down didn't influence my opinion of it, mainly because I was in the midst of finals season. I know I put other books ahead of this once, but, still, I really enjoyed it.

I absolutely adored the characters. Victoria was great and I definitely saw some of my personality in her. Then, Owen, also was great. A sarcastic shit the whole time and 100% another part of my personality. Adam was great as well, our little Frankenstein
Kristine (The Writer's Inkwell)
Posted originally on my blog:
The Writer's Inkwell

I’m a fan of horror, but for me classic horror is hard to appreciate. For some reason, I just am not the kind of person who could fall in love with Dracula. However, when I saw this cover of book one, of the High School Horror series, I couldn’t resist requesting it to see if it was any good.

This is the kind of young adult fiction I would have really enjoyed as a teenager. Hell, I enjoyed it as an adult. The author does a great job creating a sit
C. Stuchl
Dec 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZTT It's Alive, It's Alive.
(Sorry, I just had to.)

I remember those high school science projects. Some kids really came up with astonishing projects. Others not so much.
Tor and Owen are working on their project in the "lab" that was an underground tornado shelter. They were on their seventh rat, the others didn't make it.
I'm not sure if this was supposed to be so funny but it is. The dialog between the two as the experiment progresses and the discription of the of their progress, or
Rachel (Life of a Female Bibliophile)
Rather than waiting for a slow build-up in suspense like most horror novels, Teen Frankenstein jumps immediately into action. Majority of the story takes elements from the original tale by Mary Shelley since it is a retelling, but gives it more of a modern spin. Before each chapter the reader is given little snippets from a scientist’s journal which turns out to be our narrator Tor and I liked that it kept the story grounded in that Dr. Frankenstein vibe.

The novel is definitely got more of light
Kylie Kaemke
Dec 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
In the beginning of this book it felt like something I would watch on the Disney channel. You know, the Disney channel original movies, the awesomely cheesy ones like Halloweentown and Under Wraps; yeah those gems. It had that same great feeling to it, and then it started to get a little dark… and people started dying.

Teen Frankenstein is about teen scientist Victoria Frankenstein (Tor) who is determined to bring something back from the dead for her school science experiment. However, bringing t
Kelly Hager
Chandler Baker is becoming one of my favorite YA horror authors. This book creeped me out multiple times!

One thing you should know about Tor Frankenstein is that she takes after her father. She's obsessed with science, and is currently working to figure out how to bring something back to life. Rodents don't work and she wonders if maybe she needs (a) more electricity and (b) a bigger body.

When she accidentally kills a teenage boy, she's pretty sure she can bring him back to life. She hopes so,
Ryley (Ryley Reads)
Well.

Thanks to Raincoast Books for sending me an ARC for review. All opinions are my own.

This was a weird book. After science genius Tor Frankenstein kills a pedestrian with her car one rainy night, she decides to take him home and bring him back to life.

Yeah, the books a little weird.

Anyways, after a few weeks, "Adam" starts experiencing issues, and violent streaks, and several people from the town go missing and turn up dead and mutilated. Number one suspect is Adam.

Long story short, this is a
Cara
This book was HORRIBLE! Maybe it's because I never read Frankenstein, but I hated this book. The only reason I finished it was because I needed it for a reading challenge. Tor, the main character, was wholly unlikable and the story itself was just ridiculous. Tor hits someone with her car and kills him (not a spoiler, it happens in the first chapter or so). She manages to bring him back to life. Fine. I guess I can go along with that. Then, dead bodies start showing up in the small town she live ...more
Hannah
Jan 25, 2016 rated it liked it
So if your looking for a quick teen book to read with a little gore this is the book for you. It was just full of fluffy teen book goodness
Brittany
May 08, 2017 rated it liked it
Tor fancies herself a scientist. Never moving past experimenting on rats she catches in traps. Then, one fateful day, while reading a text message, Tor hits and kills a boy who was crossing the street. Knowing that she can't go to jail, she brings him back to her lab and is successful in reanimating him. One problem, this newly alive experiment cannot remember who he is, where he's from and most importantly, how he died. The story weaves through "Adam" joining a new school and finding an unhealt ...more
Meghan
Review originally posted at: https://lafoiaveugle.wordpress.com/20...

I am so excited that I am getting this review in just under the wire. This book is officially released tomorrow. The ARC was provided kindly by NetGalley (back in October...for Halloween...)

Teen Frankenstein
by Chandler Baker
January 2016
Format: ebook, arc
Genre: horror, gothic, young adult, classic retellings
Rating: moose-mdmoose-mdmoose-mdmoose-md 3.75/5 Moose
Synopsis
Victoria "Tor" Frankenstein became obsessed with curing death after her father is kil
Amber
Oct 30, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I am a little mixed on if this is 2 or 3 stars for me. I think I am settling on 2 for two main reasons. First, Tor is a very unlikable character. She does horrible things and just doesn't seem to care at all for it's effect on others. It made for an interesting character especially by the end which I did enjoy but I just didn't care for her as a character. Second, it had a lot of moments I just felt like skimming. I just got to a point where I just wanted the book to be done. Not a horrible read ...more
Jessica
Oct 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the writing and the plot. Tor was such a funny character and I loved how different she was. She didn't care what others thought of her and did whatever she wanted. Owen was easily my second favorite. Loved him as a 'sidekick' of sorts to Tor.

I didn't give this book 5 stars because it was just so slow! Lots of hype all the time but things didn't happen quick enough to me.

This novel reminded me a lot of Stalking Jack the Ripper with the indepth writings of human anatomy. Interesting an
Nancy
Nov 01, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: lit-cube-books
This whole story was weird but in a bad way. The premise is that Victoria(tor) brings a boy back to life after she kills him with her car. It set in a Texas high school where she tries to assimilate her creation/boy into daily high school life. The plot was interesting but not enough to keep me entertained.It was very difficult for me to finish the book. I had no love for any of these characters. The book was a bit bland, characters were unlikable, and the ending in my opinion was awful.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Hellraisers (The Devil's Engine, #1)
  • The Treasure of Maria Mamoun
  • The Inn Between
  • Baker's Magic
  • The Greatest Zombie Movie Ever
  • Terror at Bottle Creek

High School Horror Story (3 books)
  • Teen Hyde (High School Horror Story, #2)
  • Teen Phantom (High School Horror Story, #3)