Start by marking “Essential Nova, Vol. 1” as Want to Read:
Essential Nova, Vol. 1

Essential Nova, Vol. 1 (Nova, Volume I #1-25)

3.61  ·  Rating details ·  77 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
Before New Warriors, Nova was one of the 70s' most scintillating stars and it shows! Be it murder mystery or cosmic clash, the Human Rocket rises to the occasion! Historic heroes! Futuristic Fiends! War with the Skrulls! Special guest-appearances by Spider-Man, the Thing and... Moses!?

Collecting: Nova 1-25, Amazing Spider-Man 171, Marvel Two-In-One Annual 3
Paperback, Essential, 512 pages
Published April 5th 2006 by Marvel (first published March 29th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Essential Nova, Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Essential Nova, Vol. 1

Mar 19, 2010 rated it really liked it
This volume collects #1–25, Amazing Spider-Man #171 and Marvel Two-in-One Annual #3, written by Marv Wolfman (with the exception of A S-M) and pencilled by John Buscema (#1–2 & 21), Sal Buscema (#3–14 & M T-i-O), Ross Andru (A S-M) and Carmine Infantino (#15–20, 22–25).

It introduces the 70s superhero Nova, that is young Richard Rider turned into a cosmic powered hero in a fashion that borrows from DC's Green Lantern tradition while being infused with the teenage angst of Marvel's own Spi
Oct 25, 2013 rated it liked it
As many others have commented, this was originally published in the mid/ late 1970's, and is decent enough for that era. I like the character very much, but over the course of the stories Richard Rider is nothing more than a poor mans Peter Parker. The adventures are pretty simplistic, and a steady stream of new villains are introduced to give Nova purpose. I enjoyed the later art a lot less than the beginning of the series too.
When all is said and done, it's comic book fast food. Fine while rea
Joseph Zurat
Sep 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comic
I read all of Nova V.1 (that is 25 issues plus an issue of Spider-Man) recently in issue form. Nova was intentionally a throwback in storytelling terms to the early Silver Age of Marvel. For the first half or so of the issues, the stories are self-contained and usually introduce a new villain to be an attempted Rogue's Gallery for Nova. The second half had more stories that were multi-part, but that meant that much of what Wolfman was initially going for (as a throwback) was lost. I enjoyed more ...more
Craig Tyler
Sep 26, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: comicbooks
I had a few issues of the original series and had seen most of the exciting covers in "How to Draw Comics The Marvel Way". But I hadnever read the series as a series. Honestly, it was good, teenager hero, family issues, original and odd villians. Certainly straddled the genre between regular super hero and other worldy super hero. He battled Sandman as well as the Kree. I liked it especially for the run of Carmine Infantino artwork.
Naty Flor
Jul 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
Bastante bueno, interesante, como me lo había recomendado mi hermana, a mí no me gustaba el personaje de Nova y cosas de la vida, no lo quería leer. Pero al final vino el Booktube-A-Thony le di una oportunidad y me gustó mucho. Encima aparecen un montón de personajes como Iron Man, Thor, Spiderman, Cosa, etc. que hicieron a la historia un poco más interesante.

PD: el 3.75 es porque odio que Nova diga "Blue Blazes!". Me molesta. Mucho.
Shannon Appelcline
Jul 03, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, comics-marvel
For its time period, not bad. It introduced a lot of interesting characters and gave them some depth and had some interesting possibilities, though the really interesting possible plots in space weren't explored until the very end. A bit slow by today's standards though.
Sep 30, 2014
Mar 14, 2013
Dylan Pritts
Mar 11, 2009
« previous 1 3 next »
Marvin A. "Marv" Wolfman is an award-winning American comic book writer. He is best known for lengthy runs on The Tomb of Dracula, creating Blade for Marvel Comics, and The New Teen Titans for DC Comics.
More about Marv Wolfman...

Nova, Volume I (1 - 10 of 25 books)
  • Nova (1976-1978) #1