Start by marking “Game Night” as Want to Read:
Game Night

Game Night

The gods don't play dice with the universe... unless it's game night. A twelve-thousand-year quest is about to be completed, prophecies will be fulfilled, ancient riddles answered, legendary evils bested, and the nature of the universe revealed. All that's needed is a band of mighty heroes to do the completing. Unfortunately for the locals, some of the gods have taken a pe ...more
Published December 1st 2007 by Magnum Opus Press

To ask other readers questions about Game Night, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Game Night

John
Apr 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: peterborough
I purchased this book at Eastercon LX in 2009 based almost entirely on the fact that I was sitting next to the author in the dealers' room and I'd enjoyed chatting to him. Never have I been so glad to buy a book on a whim; it's a truly excellent tale that features four gods as they play a roleplaying game with the people under their jurisdiction.

Some will tell you that you need to have played roleplaying games to find this funny, but honestly, you don't – the tale doesn't at all revolve around r
Joey
Jan 06, 2015 rated it liked it
This book was hilarious. But with a few flaws:

1. The jokes rely on the reader having an experience of tabletop roleplaying. Not a big issue for me as I eat and breath the stuff.

2. The constant story resets, weird event happenings are hilarious but often cause weird story breaks that in experienced readers might get confused on. Jumping between the god and 'mortal' character POV is useful but it might have helped to focus more on one or the other each chapter.

3. The author does a good job of show
Mike
Jan 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook, gaming
This book shouldn't be as funny as it is; it's the story of a bad tabletop game and the characters who have to live through it.

But it's also wonderfully written, for all that the trite nature of some of the situations, and is the story of a bunch of gods (and the mortals they control) discovering the nature of the mortal realm as they play through the Allfather's game.

There are hilarious one-liners, player behavior that flies in the face of common sense, game master cowardice/obfuscation, and am
Jacob Jones-Goldstein
Lots of fun, lots of good ideas, not overly well executed. Mr. Nexus is not a great writer by any stretch, but I imagine he would be a terrific GM. Worth reading for anyone who enjoys role playing. I would suggest that RP'ers is the only audience for this book though, not much for anyone else.
David
Feb 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
They're not elves!!
David(LA,CA)
May 24, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: gaming
"God does not play dice with the universe;..." Terry Pratchet, Good Omens.

"These gods should not play dice games. Period." Me, reviewing this book.

In a fantasy world of magic and dragons and elves ("they're not elves") a band of adventurers sets off on possibly the most important quest in existence: to become absurdly wealthy and ridiculously famous. And maybe prevent the end of the world, as a side effect of the wealth and fame thing.

But their fate is not of their own making. For each one of th
Brian
May 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a fun and well-written book, but as others said, I was disappointed with the ending.

In the Overland, the Gods are playing a game because, well you know, it's game night. However, they aren't using token but real people on the world below them. Now they must guide their mortals through the AllFathers game and try to save the land they live on.

This story was a lot of fun. The game story is a good one and the asides that pop up from the gods add a lot of humor. Others have said that it br
Muffins
Dec 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi-book-club
I thought this was actually a pretty accurate representation of tabletop roleplaying games and group dynamics. Although the narrative is about the roleplaying characters and their journey as the game session progresses, the real story is about the AllFather, who finally takes a stand for his world and his plot design against his unruly players. I wish it hadn't ended in such an abrupt manner but it was fantastic while it lasted and incredibly funny.
Gavin
Sep 14, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: not-worth-it
Honestly? I was leaving it at 2 stars for "it was OK".. but then given the fact that I genuinely didn't like it and gave up after 20 pages I left it at one star.

One star... didn't finish as I didn't like it
2 stars.. .finished but didn't enjoy it
3 stars ... finished and liked it
4 stars.. chewed down like a kobe slider
5 stars... was amazing and would be a multiple re-read.

Michael
Welcome to the OverRealm. The celestial realm from which the AllFather, Creator of All, surveys his creation. With him are five of his pantheon of gods. The Dealer, The Warrior, The Jester, The Lady, and The Sleeper. Together they look at the world below.

On this world, the barbarian Yann, dark paladin Draag, wise wizard Tallenna, halfling thief Hill Bigfella, and the enigmatic and slow-moving fighter Stone are tasked with going on an epic quest and preventing the destruction of their world. For
Edwin Hayward
Mar 30, 2016 rated it liked it
I bought this book after meeting the author at Mancunicon (the Eastercon in Manchester) and polished the whole thing off over a couple of days.

It was a light, entertaining read, extremely funny in places, but it suffered from the fact that all the characters were relatively dislikeable. I understood that was the point (because they're modelled on BAD role-players) so it was superficially an "effective" conceat. However, there was only so much I could forgive them before they started to set my te

Pj
Mar 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Allison
Aug 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
If you've ever played a game with a bunch of folks and enjoy a story with mythical characters, then this might be a fun book for you to read. I got a kick out the players being gods who are playing an RPG with a mortal world that the All Father created for the game. Note the All Father is the "dungeon master" of sorts. The fact that the players weren't always cooperating reminds me of a few folks I've played games with. And there is always THAT person, the one that doesn't want to follow the rul ...more
Ryan
Oct 20, 2015 rated it liked it
Not fantastic but has a few fun moments about god's playing a D&D like game. It's a ridiculous romp and those who play pen'in'paper rps will probably get a kick at the in jokes I didn't quite get. The highlights are when the god's biker among themselves about the rules of the game or events in the adventure. The gamemaster whom is also a god created a entire fantasy world just for this game and the other god's play highly unusual characters. For the gamemaster this is his dream story, a very ...more
Psychophant
Aug 03, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy, humour, reviewed
This is a book for people who have roleplayed a lot, who have suffered through it and yet they still kept doing it. As Jonny Nexus himself used to say in his fanzine "Critical Miss", disfunctional gamers.

If you have seen "Knights of the Dinner Table" you know what I mean, but there is the rub. While this kind of disfunctionality is great for a humorous vignette from time to time, it is not funny enough to fill a full book that you are supposed to read in one go.

It is good, however, to quench any
Matt
Aug 30, 2015 rated it liked it
This is a quirky book about a bunch of gods sitting at a table role-playing their mortal characters. RPGers will enjoy it for the spot-on dialogue of hack-and-slashers decimating plot and the tribulation of badly made GM calls. I was surprised that the book didn't make more of the "gods playing mortals" mechanic, but it was still a fun read of a game session.

And the lines about the AllFather's passive-aggressive jealousy of fellow-god "Mr. Six Days" with his "internally consistent universe" cont
Silas
Aug 11, 2011 rated it did not like it
This book was intensely British. It's not a problem if you have a grasp of British idioms and turns of phrase, but could be a turn off for some. I rather enjoyed it, even though, luckily, much of my gaming experience didn't get to quite this level of unpleasantness. It was a worthwhile read, and I would recommend it to fellow gamers, though I agree with others that if you're not of the gaming persuasion, then this is probably not your book.
Henry Hallan
May 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: roleplayers
Shelves: reviewed
Good, solid gaming humour. If you enjoy roleplaying, especially "dysfunctional" roleplaying, and especially if you enjoyed the "Critical Miss" RP magazine, you should also enjoy this.

It's the sort of humour of "Order of the Stick" or "Dork Tower", but now in handy novel form.

It might not make you a better roleplayer, it might not help you run better games, but it should help you relax a little about your own dysfunctional gaming group.
Lady Entropy
Jan 09, 2014 rated it it was ok
I should have loved this: the gods playing RPGs?

It should be awesome.

Instead, it was just.... meh. Much to my pity. There aren't enough games about RPers, and that celebrate RPing, and this could have had such a great thing.

Instead it was just forgettable.

I remember vaguely smiling here and there, but I also remember my annoyance at the Terry Pratchetesque ending with a deus ex machina, so 2 stars it is.
Roger
Feb 27, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
elegant satire

It's a great read! And filled with such subtle criticisms of the world we live in as to be brilliant, especially considering that gaming is itself the criticism. We'll read, and the ending is also to,subtly brilliant I smiled and sat for a few minutes reveling in it. Thanks for the read!
Jon E. Hilton
Jan 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it.

This book did something that no other book I've read in a long time has done. It surprised me every few pages by doing something I never thought it would do. All the way through it kept me guessing. This is a much better book than you think it is. Give a try.
Jason
Aug 04, 2014 rated it it was ok
A fantastic - and evidently problematic - idea for a story, but honestly, I was rushing to the end so I could put it down. Clunky, repetitive, and at time confusing and annoying.
Rob
Jan 24, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, funny
A fun story but it was like a Saturday Night Live skit that is initially very funny but goes on for too long. This would have been better suited as a short story.
Shannon Appelcline
Apr 22, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, humor
Funny, though probably only to roleplayers. Also has a surprisingly interesting fantasy story going along.
Steven Verbridge

• Player's Handbook 3: A 4th Edition D&D Core Rulebook
  • Dungeons & Dragons Player's Handbook 2: A 4th Edition D&D Core Rulebook
  • Mistborn Adventure Game: A House of Ashes
  • Storm Dancer
  • Confessions of a Part-Time Sorceress: A Girl's Guide to the Dungeons & Dragons Game
  • Dungeons & Dragons Player's Handbook: Arcane, Divine, and Martial Heroes
  • Player's Guide to Faerûn (Forgotten Realms) (Dungeons & Dragons v.3.5)
  • Snips, Snails, and Dragon Tales (The Order of the Stick, #D)
  • Eberron Campaign Setting (D&D: Eberron)
  • Deities and Demigods
I'm a Lancashire based IT guy who moonlights as a writer in my spare time. When not doing that, I spend time with my wife, daughter and dog; read; watch TV, films and the occasional work of theatre; and engage in intermittent bouts of extremely bad roleplaying.

I began my writing career by launching the cult gaming webzine Critical Miss (criticalmiss.com), before moving on to write regular columns
“Time has no meaning here, but if it did, it would be a little after tea-time.” 1 likes
“Dog, the Lord of Man's Loyalty, stirs, half-heartedly licks his balls, and then settles back down to sleep.” 0 likes