Start by marking “The Worst Case Scenario Survival Handbook” as Want to Read:
The Worst Case Scenario Survival Handbook

The Worst Case Scenario Survival Handbook (The Worst-Case Scenario Survival Handbooks)

3.61  ·  Rating details ·  2,981 Ratings  ·  222 Reviews
Danger! It lurks at every corner. Volcanoes. Sharks. Quicksand. Terrorists. The pilot of the plane blacks out and it's up to you to land the jet. What do you do? The Worst-Case Scenario Survival Handbook is here to help: jampacked with how-to, hands-on, step-by-step, illustrated instructions on everything you need to know FAST -- from defusing a bomb to delivering a baby i ...more
ebook
Published November 1st 1999 by Chronicle Books (CA) (first published January 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The Worst Case Scenario Survival Handbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Worst Case Scenario Survival Handbook

Corey D.
Oct 14, 2007 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: who want guests to enjoy your bathroom
Now I doubt I'll need to know how to jump three stories into a street level dumpster, but if I do this book will have helped me.
This is a nice bathroom reader, if you really want to use this in a survival scenario it will make a nice fire starter.
John Yelverton
Jul 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such a fun and enjoyable book a outrageousness that actually could come in handy if it ever, actually happened to you.
Kim (magicsandwiches) Lawyer
What a great reference book to keep in the bathroom or on the coffee table! There are some sections which really are completely irrelevant, but most of it is absolutely fascinating, not to mention hilarious. What do you do if the elevator starts to plummet? How do you leap off a building into a dumpster properly? What's the best way to wrestle an alligator and can it really be done? Want to escape from killer bees? What should you do if your parachute doesn't open? How can you escape from a bad ...more
Bryan
Really good: When I bought this book, my girlfrind and some friend where making fun of me, but as soon as one of them started reading it, he couldn't let it down and everybody was reading it. It contains information that I hope I'll never need. It's funny, but at the same time the information provided was well researched.

Great for having at your coffee table, since everyone will comment on it.

I belive it might be useful also for actual surviving....
Andrew
Dec 23, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I needed a bit of light reading - and in my case a book I could easily pick up and put down knowing that the story line would not suffer for it. This book and its companion book Travel (ok they are not linked but I decided to read them side by side anyway) fitted that requirement perfectly.

The books are separated in to subject matter chapters (since its Leap of faiths or Great escapes and entrances...). Where each chapter deals with how to's on related subjects.

In their time there were a whole
Alex
Nov 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This handbook written by Joshua Piven was a very interesting read. Even though it was quite small, there were over 200 pages filled with different guides. I found it really helpful but I hope I will never have to use any of them. Some of the worst case scenario's and learning about what to do in the situation was pretty scary however was an eye opener. I recommend this book to everyone so that if they are in one of these situations, they know what to do.
Jamie
After 2014, this is how I’m preparing in case 2015 tries to top it.

(Half fun and useful, half disappointing common sense. Like, the way to survive an avalanche is to not get trapped in an avalanche. Touché!)
Rick
Jul 03, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Funny stuff and maybe useful (I'd say Vin should read this, but he probably already knows it all already!)
Trinia
I listened to this book with my boys and found it interesting and helpful! Believe it or not, we found a great number of these situations possible here in Texas... poisonous snakes, lightning, gators, jumping from a moving car. Of course some situations would not ever be possible ... jumping from a moving motorcycle to a moving car for one.
I will definitely check out the other books in this series!
Anna
Dec 28, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is about what you always wanted to know about all kinds of weird life-threatening situations but were either afraid to ask - or just weren't lucky enough to lay your hands on a book like this!

If, just like me, you go about your daily chores wondering "what if"...

What if a crodile bites your hand off?
What if your car falls into a river?
What if a shark wants to eat you?
What if you get lost in a desert?

... then this is the perfect read for you.

Doesn't matter that the nearest crocodile is
  • The Action Hero's Handbook: How to Catch a Great White Shark, Perform the Vulcan Nerve Pinch, Track a Fugitive, and Dozens of Other TV and Movie Skills
  • The Worst-Case Scenario Survival Handbook: College: College
  • Survive!: Essential Skills and Tactics to Get You Out of Anywhere - Alive
  • When Technology Fails: A Manual for Self-Reliance & Planetary Survival
  • When All Hell Breaks Loose: Stuff You Need to Survive When Disaster Strikes
  • How to Build a Fire: And Other Handy Things Your Grandfather Knew
  • SAS Survival Handbook: How to Survive in the Wild, in Any Climate, on Land or at Sea
  • The Darwin Awards III: Survival of the Fittest (Darwin Awards, #3)
  • How to Survive the End of the World as We Know It: Tactics, Techniques, and Technologies for Uncertain Times
  • Sneaky Uses for Everyday Things
  • Crisis Preparedness Handbook: A Comprehensive Guide to Home Storage and Physical Survival
  • US Army Survival Manual: FM 21-76
  • The People's Almanac Presents the Book of Lists
  • Complete Krav Maga: The Ultimate Guide to Over 230 Self-Defense and Combative Techniques
  • Emergency Food Storage & Survival Handbook: Everything You Need to Know to Keep Your Family Safe in a Crisis
  • Tom Brown's Guide to Wilderness Survival
  • Take Care of Yourself: The Complete Illustrated Guide to Medical Self-care
  • US Army Survival Manual
Josh Piven is a television writer and producer, speechwriter, playwright, and the author or co-author of more than twenty non-fiction and humor books, including the worldwide best-selling The Worst-Case Scenario Survival Handbook series.

He wrote the teleplay and serves as producer of Don The Beekeeper, a half-hour children’s TV show about honeybees and urban beekeeping. His most recent stage play,
More about Joshua Piven...

The Worst-Case Scenario Survival Handbooks (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • The Worst-Case Scenario Survival Handbook: Travel