Start by marking “Finding Gabriel” as Want to Read:
Finding Gabriel

Finding Gabriel

Colonel Gabriel de Laurent departed for the war intending to die.

After a decade of bloodstained battlegrounds while fighting in Napoleon's army, Gabriel returns to the streets of Paris a shattered and haunted soul. Plagued by inner demons, he swallows the barrel of his flintlock pistol and pulls the trigger.

But fate has a different plan.

Ariah Larochelle is a survivor. Orph
Published August 27th 2015 by Momentum (Pan Macmillan)

NiCoLeTa E.
Jul 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
***5 "You are my light" stars***

I just finished this magnificent story and i'm kicking my a$$ because i didn't read it earlier...
This book deserves to have a place among the classics.
It was a beautiful story about redemption and liberation from the invinsible chains of a tortured past...

Gabriel and Ariah were both tormented creatures whose pasts were holding them prisoners...
They were fighters, they were kindred spirits that needed each others presence to reach into their liberation...
I shall
Rachel L.  Demeter

“There is no paradise on earth, but there are pieces of it. What there is on earth is a broken paradise.” – Jules Renard

Writing this novel was a deeply personal experience and a true emotional rollercoaster. At times, the subject matter forced me into uncomfortable and often brutal territories–and the road to Gabriel and Ariah’s Happily Ever After is certainly paved with an abundance of loss, discovery, hope, and, of course, searing passion and relentless love.

Every word emerged straight from
Stephanie (Bookfever)
Finding Gabriel was unlike any books I've read before. It was exquisite, personal, emotional and I just loved it so much. It took me a good six days to finish it but it never got boring. All I know is, I want to read more by this author!

This book felt a bit like a mix between Les Misérables and The Phantom of the Opera. In fact I like this one just as much (if not a little bit more), which is a huge deal since I'm a huge fan of both those stories.

The story starts quite shockingly with Colonel G
Azahara Arenas (Living in Our Own Story Blog)
This is the first book I've read by Rachel L. Demeter and I have to say that I am really impressed. I must confess that when Momentum sent me a copy of Finding Gabriel I initially picked it for review for the hot model in the cover xD Don't judge me I'm kind of a cover addict. But after reading the blurb I knew had to dive in its pages. And I am really glad I gave it a chance because its been months since I read such a good historical novel. It is accurate in its historical events and I love tha ...more
Elaine *~ on cloud 9 ~*
Jul 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
You know that sensation when you begin a new book and it instantly sinks into your heart? Finding Gabriel hooked me from the first scene with its shocking and wonderfully descriptive opening. And once Ariah and Gabriel met and begin their beautiful love story, the romance was gorgeous and had my heart beating from my chest! <3 Demeter's writing was lush and lyrical... Almost poetic at times. Loved everything about this story - the complex characters, the dark setting, the unusual plot and its ...more
Katie
Mar 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
4.5 we are not our pasts stars

description

"Gabriel de Laurent was far from a superstitious or spiritual man. And yet the feeling he had was unshakable. Ariah Larochelle had found him for a reason."

So let me just start off by saying this- I have never really been a fan of historical romances. For some reason, I just couldn't get into a lot of them. But, thanks to Rachel L. Demeter, I do believe I can now call myself a historical romance fan! This is the second book I have read from her, and I have loved bot
Julie
Finding Gabriel by Rachel L. Demeter is a 2015 Momentum publication. I was provided a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

“There is no paradise on earth, but there are pieces of it. What there is on earth is a broken paradise.” _ Jules Renard

Sometimes I just can't find the words to convey my personal experience with a book, and this may be one of those times.

This is a dark, often painful story, on the one hand, and on the other it's a romance deeply drenched in true love, hope,
Joanna Lambert
Aug 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Blaming himself for a brutal murder, Colonel Gabriel de Laurent returns to the battlefield to fight alongside Napoleon. For ten years, feeling he has nothing to live for, he has hoped the war will claim him. However, with the war over he finds himself in Paris and very much alive. Deciding to take matters into his own hands, he stands on the banks of the Seine, swallows the barrel of his pistol and pulls the trigger.
Ariah Larochelle is a survivor. Orphaned as a child and victim to a devastating
Marie
Jul 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rachel L. Demeter, you did it again! You skillfully bring your reader thru a heady experience, no emotion goes untouched. Historical Romance is truly your genre. You definitely do your homework, the historical accuracy is so acute, the slightest nuances brought to the readers attention, and the romance is Ooh La la! Reading Finding Gabriel I felt transported back in time and Paris comes alive with all your delicious characters.
You remind me of one of my favorite authors Diana Gabaldon who wrote
Loraine Oliver
Aug 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Loraine by: ARC
Shelves: reviewed-books
Finding Gabriel is a novel that takes place in France during the time of Napoleon Bonaparte and the War, it starts out in 1815, but flashes back and forth between ten years before that time.

In the opening pages we come across a man, Gabriel De Laurent, a greatly decorated soldier who has gotten back from the war. Gabriel is so disillusioned, so broken and so alone, with nothing to live for, that he can no longer stand all of his haunted thoughts and memories, and the loss of his family 11 years
WhiskeyintheJar/Kyraryker

A soldier with nothing to lose has everything to sacrifice.

With his emperor imprisoned, the most important battle Colonel Gabriel de Laurent has left to fight is with his self. On a dark night by the Seine, his demons win and in full dress uniform he takes his pistol, places it in his mouth, and pulls the trigger. While it looks like he lost this bat
Dianne
War, a battle of political egos fought with the flesh, blood and heart of soldiers. Survival and coming home should be wonderful, but do you think PTSD is a modern day discovery? For Colonel Grabriel de Laurant, ten years fighting beside Napoleon is his own personal suicide and atonement plan. When he couldn’t be killed on the battlefield, he attempted to end his private suffering with a bullet. Another epic fail as, with his life’s blood pouring into the Seine River and his face damaged beyond ...more
Lindy
Sep 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
never write reviews yet felt compelled to share my admiration for this book. Talk about a story hangover and an emotional ride!! The characters blew me away and the plot kept me on the edge of my seat. I often caught myself holding my breath in anticipation, holding back tears, and even laughing aloud at some of the lighter moments. Gabriel, the hero, was true romance candy! He had my heart racing. He was so broken and lost.....dark and withdrawn, yet surging with inner strength. Watching his ba ...more
Carol *Young at Heart Oldie*
Jul 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
I admire authors who push the boundaries of the established norms of historical romance and Rachel L. Demeter does just that in this dark and intensely emotional story. I found myself totally immersed in the compelling world she created and her fascinating, flawed characters.

…the only journey worth traveling starts from within.

Gabriel is full of despair and all-consuming guilt following the horrific deaths of his wife and child for which he feels responsible. When he finds no solace in drink, he
Grace
Nov 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Can't recommend this book enough. I enjoyed every moment - even the moments spent crying and coiling in horror for the lovely Gabriel and Ariah. The emotional scope portrayed in this book is stunning!

This is an epic love story which teaches us that no matter how horrible life gets, no matter hopeless things may seem, with the right person to love and love you back, you will not just survive but persevere and grow stronger. Be still my beating heart!
Erika Vroom
Nov 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Breathtaking. Was blown away by the degree of detail put into every aspect of the story. The characters were beautifully flawed and real. Finding Gabriel is a FEELS book. It's dark, gritty, and jam packed with every emotion.
Diana Stîngă
Aug 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Originally posted on http://mikkysworldofbooks.blogspot.fr...

Let me start by saying that I am a big fan of historical romance and, any well-written book that bears this label, has always been close to my heart.

The story Rachel L. Demeter has chosen to bring to life – that of a tormented man saved by a woman, who manages to convince him that he isn’t the person he thought he was – became one of the best I have read so far.

After losing his family and experiencing the tragedy of wars and countles
Kimberly Rocha~ Book Obsessed Chicks

Desperation and despair makes Colonel Gabriel de Laurent want to end his life. Resolved to end it all, Gabriel winds up along the River Seine on a snowy night with a pistol in his mouth. Unfortunately for him, the pistol does not do its job very well and Gabriel winds up on the brink of death.

Ariah Larochelle has had a difficult life, to say the least. Left an orphan at a young impressionable age then betrayed by her best friend, she has had to fight to survive. Trust is a serious issue with thi
Melvina
Jul 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
If you’re looking for a Historical Romance that is historically accurate, emotional, unique....and one you’ll be unable to put down....this is it!! This book is so descriptive and well written....I felt like I was there....feeling and seeing everything right along with the characters. I can’t wait to read more from this talented author.
Marissa
Nov 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
If you love broken, well developed characters & descriptive writing, this one is amazing!
Seffra
Mar 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
4 Solid Stars!

WOW. THIS WRITING.....

description

I want to kick myself in the head for not finding Rachel L. Demeter before now. Her writing is a whole new level of phenomenal!!!
description

Okay, time to get serious. I was enthralled from the first word upon the page and I couldn't put it down. Gabriel and Ariah are such well written characters who felt real. Their chemistry was amazing and I loved reading about them. Also, Geoffrey was such a complex villain and I love how she wrote him.

Suicide or attempted suicide is
Erin
Jul 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Find this and other reviews at: http://flashlightcommentary.blogspot....

I was fortunate enough to obtain a copy of Rachel L. Demeter's The Frost of Springtime from the Historical Novel Society in early 2014. I greatly enjoyed the narrative, but I've never been particularly happy with the review I penned for it. Much as I love HNS, their magazine limits word count and asks their reviewers to incorporate a basic outline of the plot in each commentary they submit. I understand the need for such res
Sybil aka Lala
Jan 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
After a horrible incident caused Gabriel to join the French army, he runs into every battle seeking only his own death. What he receives however, is every accolade for bravery possible. After a decade of war he returns to the banks of the Seine with the intent of killing himself. His plans of dying are ruined by Ariah who finds him face down on the banks of the river and slowly nurses him back to health.

Ariah herself is hiding many secrets and a lifetime worth of pain. Waiting for her husband to
Kel (Faerie-bookworm)
I received a copy from the author for an honest review.

It's a timeless love story that's been told many different ways but I want to read it again, it was just that beautiful. This one is about two broken people that have been hurt, betrayed, beaten and left alone in the past and how they find the ability to trust and let go with each other.

First off I am not complaining but it would feel like I read most of the book but when I looked it would only be about 10%, the detail was good. It was enoug
Lina's Reviews  ❥Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ❥ღೋBook Blogღೋ ❥Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ❥
This is the second historical romance I've read this summer and it really felt like one. The settings, the medical methods and characters were a great representation of the era.
The story was dark in some instances and very bright in others.
Colonel Gabriel wants to die but fate has other plans. When a suicide attempt goes wrong, Ariah is thrown into his path.
Disfigured but alive, he struggles to find meaning in his life. Love will bind them together but will it be enough?
I loved Ariah; she was
Hanna
Jul 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
What a captivating story! I loved Rachel's first novel so when she asked if I wanted to read this one I jumped on board and I wasn't disappointed. The story is beautiful, full of passion, amazing characters, and so addicting that I read it in one sitting.
Alyson LaBarge
Review:

Deeply depressed, Colonel Gabriel de Laurent has been battling in Napoleon's Army for a decade. Having finally had more than he could take he attempts to take his own life and ends up in the River Seine, floating toward Paris. Ariah Larochelle, having endured a terrible life, has learned to trust no one. However, when she finds the gravely injured de Laurent washed upon the riverbank, she is moved by compassion to aide him and in spite of her usual reservations takes him to her home. When
Carmella Siciliano
Aug 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I received an ARC in exchange for an honest opinion.

Gabriel and Ariah are haunted by their pasts.

Gabriel has guilt over many things, his parents and brother dying from the plague, not being able to save his beloved daughter from being killed and the many horrors he saw in War.

Ariah became an orphan after her beloved father died. She shortly stayed with her fathers mistress and her half sister but her step-mother hated her and sent her to a foster home at 12. The only friend she has in the world
Nicole Laverdure
Aug 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Intense and emotional!

The cover, of Finding Gabriel, really intrigued me! I had to read this story! This beautiful cover really reflects Gabriel! I'm overwhelmed! What a roller coaster ride of emotions! Dark, poignant, intense, Gabriel and Ariah's story is a little gem to discover!

I really enjoyed, Rachel L. Demeter's book, a new author for me! Here is an amazing Gothic novel, set in Paris, along the River Seine 1815. It tells the story of Colonel Gabriel de Laurent and Ariah Larochelle, two b
Ceecee
Aug 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romancebookworm
Rachel Demeter has delivered another captivating novel!

I was immediately drawn in by the distraught hero, Gabriel, and his desperate attempt to escape his tortured life. Enter Ariah, the heroine, and I was hooked! Both characters are introduced with a resounding sadness, which makes it hard not to pull for their happiness. The tug of war involving emotions progresses in an interesting manner, and the bonds that form are beautiful.

The secondary characters help make the story whole, and the writ
Happily Ever Afte...: Finding Gabriel - 99¢ During Pre-Order Period 3 8 Aug 22, 2015 04:18PM

• Prisoner of Poseidon (Villain's Love #2)
  • My Highland Bride (Highland Hearts, #2)
  • A Bed of Thorns and Roses
  • The Soldier's Rebel Lover (Comrades in Arms, #2)
  • Sinful Liaisons
  • The Portrait
  • Between Love and Lies (Gambling Hearts #1)
  • Beloved Impostor (Beloved Trilogy, #1)
  • Wish for Me (The Djinn Order, #1)
  • Inevitable (Love and War #1)
  • Willow's Discovery  (The Winters Sisters #3)
  • A Most Devilish Rogue
  • Lachlan's Bride (Highland Lairds Trilogy, #2)
  • Alec Halsey Mysteries Books 1 - 3 (Alec Halsey Mystery Book 0)
  • Temptation by Fire
  • The Earl’s Unexpected Journey Of Love (The Fairbanks Series - Love & Hearts)
  • Rue Toulouse
  • The Silver Cross (Vampire Nightlife, #1)
Thank you for stopping by my Goodreads page!

I live in the beautiful hills of Anaheim, California with Teddy, my goofy lowland sheepdog, and my adorable snake Nagini. (GO Slytherins!) I enjoy writing poignant romances that challenge the reader’s emotions and explore the redeeming power of love. My stories are darker than most traditional romance novels and contain a distinct Gothic flavor.

Imagini
“I won’t pretend that I deserve you. I am faithless. I have done unforgivable things. And I am broken.” He gestured to his face and body with trembling hands. “I know you see past these things when you look at me . . . but I hope I can be enough for you.”

“What? Enough for me? Gabriel, you are everything.”
2 likes