Start by marking “The Shattered Lens (Alcatraz, #4)” as Want to Read:
The Shattered Lens (Alcatraz, #4)

The Shattered Lens

(Alcatraz Versus The Evil Librarians #4)

The Shattered Lens is the fourth action-packed fantasy adventure in the Alcatraz vs. the Evil Librarians series for young readers by the #1 New York Times bestselling author Brandon Sanderson. These fast-paced and funny novels are now available in deluxe hardcover editions illustrated by Hayley Lazo.

Alcatraz Smedry is up against a whole army of Evil Librarians with only hi
Published July 19th 2016 by Starscape (first published December 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Shattered Lens, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Aaron (Okuyo) Toponce The main character is male, and gets all of the page time, just like with the past Alcatraz books. Overwhelmingly so. It's written from his perspectiv…moreThe main character is male, and gets all of the page time, just like with the past Alcatraz books. Overwhelmingly so. It's written from his perspective, and the series is his story.

With that said, Bastille is a strong supporting female character, who gets a lot of page time, and is featured in every book in the series. Probably more so than the other supporting characters combined, except for possibly Alcatraz's grandfather.

There are other active supporting female characters that do get good page time, and critical to the plot, and have shown up in various parts of the series, but far less consistently: Shasta, Australia, Aydee, Himalaya, & Draulin.(less)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Joanna Sulecka
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of The Shattered Lens (Alcatraz, #4)
Patrick
Nov 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Eagerly looking forward to the final installment. Continually fun stuff...
Evgeny
Aug 24, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Alcatraz was forcefully pushed, I mean gently persuaded by his loving relatives and friends into defending a besieged city he never saw before in his life.
Gently Persuade
To put things into perspective, the people who are supposed to care about the guy thought it would be a good idea to send a 13-year-old boy into a city surrounded by an army of evil librarians in hopes he somehow would be able to save the day. Off he went only to discover that the situation is much worse than what everybody thought previously
Kyle
Jan 04, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

Is there anything Alcatraz can't break?

Tuki Tuki, the capital of the kingdom of Mokia, is under attack by an army of evil Librarians and Alcatraz decides he's going to do something about it.

As with all the books in this series, Alcatraz Versus the Shattered Lens is funny, irreverent, entertaining and teaches you everything you need to know about Librarians!

Definitely targeted to younger readers, 10 to 13 years of age, I'd say. After reading four books in the series, I'm not sure I'l

Choko
*** 4.17 ***

A buddy read with the young at heart at BB&B!

I loved it!!! It offered everything we have come to expect from Brandon Sanderson. I love the book! I love the series! I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Brandon Sanderson!!!! (not a member of any SANDERSONIAN cult)
Robin (Bridge Four)
On sale Sept 7 2016 on Amazon for $2.99

So this was my least favorite of the series so far. This went a little into the dark side and except for some of the stuff at the beginning and a spectacular chapter with a bunch of Hamlet Quotes in a chase. It is more serious as discoveries are made as to what Alcatraz's father has planned, what the librarians are doing and that sometimes being the hero doesn't work out quite like you think it will.

But I will say that the chapters headings (which followed
Bookwraiths
Aug 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Originally reviewed at Bookwraiths.

My youngest son and I have been enjoying the Alcatraz series for several months now. Brandon Sanderson’s funny, bizarre, clever, and hilarious writing definitely takes some getting use to (I mean, the Evil Libraries are reading these stories after all, so Alcatraz has to confuse them.), but once you begin to acclimate yourself to the strangeness of the Free Kingdoms and the whackiness of the Smedrys the middle grade fun takes off. The author has even been kind
Mogsy (MMOGC)
4 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum https://bibliosanctum.com/2016/07/20/...

Great to know I can always count on the Alcatraz series to lift my spirits. The Shattered Lens may be book four of the sequence, but I’m just as hooked on the story as I was when I first picked up Alcatraz vs. the Evil Librarians, the adventure that started it all. Brandon Sanderson continues to deliver plenty of laughs and action as he prepares to ramp things up for The Dark Talent; now that the illustrated hardcover re-i
Kells Next Read
Another great read by my one of my fave authors of all time. Hmmmm, I think I have officially run out of novels by BS to read. Well, there's still the last three books of the WOT series that he finished but I don't think I'm in the mood to tackle ( ten books from another author, to get to his work )just yet. There is however, about three or so of his novellas I haven't read, so I'll go read those in the mean while ; ))

I can't wait for the final book The Dark Talent to come out on September 6th 2
Eon ♒Windrunner♒
Another great book from my favourite author.

I did not enjoy this one quite as much as its predecessors but it was still a very fun read. The story tends to lean towards a slightly more serious tone and in one or two instances the humour felt forced. It still had me smiling most of the way through though and I am interested in knowing what happens next as things looked decidedly morbid for our team going into the last book.

It’s Brandon Sanderson. I’d buy it if it was a menu.
Franco  Santos
It's easy to accept the normal and avoid thinking about the difficult and strange. Life can be so much simplier if you stop dreaming.
Sanderson, te odio.

Solamente voy a decir dos cosas: 1) este es el mejor libro de la serie, hasta ahora, y 2) Sanderson, te odio. He estado contando la cantidad de sagas que he empezado pero que todavía no están terminadas, por lo que tengo que esperar a que se escriban y publiquen los siguientes tomos... En total son 12. Ocho de esas sagas son de Sanderson...
TS Chan
Sept 2016: Twas before book 5 I dost reread.

The penultimate book of the Alcatraz series, this one ends on a darker note. In spite of some really hilarious moments, the story loses a bit of fun when our thirteen-year old protagonist was forced to grow up - all too quickly.

-----------------------------
Aug 2015:
This instalment still has all the fun of previous Alcatraz books but with a more serious undertone. It also ended in a quasi-cliffhanger.

And to prove a point about Shakespeare, he had an e
Kiirsi Hellewell
I finished this book nearly a week ago and I'm still laughing. I LOVE these Alcatraz books!! They are so hysterically funny. And smart. And clever. Brandon Sanderson is a genius. I particularly loved the chapter titles in this book--hilarious! The plot was fun and exciting, and the new Smedry talent was great. (I never can figure out what a new talent will be or--when it's introduced--how in the world this talent can possibly be a GOOD thing. But it is, every time, in such a clever and funny way ...more
Marnie  (Enchanted Bibliophile)
Shattering-Glass that was awesome
Shattered Lens

First Sentence: So there I was, holding a pink teddy bear in my hand

This is why I started this series. Although the previous two books kind of disappointed me, this one lived up to expectations! Lost of action, flare and a nail biting page-turner.

I'm kind of glad the next book is out already! Now I don't have to wait "forever" to see how the alter scene plays out. Yes I know it's wishful thinking, but still I'm wishing.
Irene
Oct 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This review will encompass all four of the "Alcatraz vs. the Evil Librarians" books.

I bought the first "Alcatraz" book for my 6th grader. It sounded as though it would be strange. I mean, really, how could a librarian possibly be evil? I have read "Elantris," then the "Mistborn" series, the two "Wheel of Time" books, and lastly, "Warbreaker," and I have become a huge fan of Brandon Sanderson. So, I decided to read the book before I gave it to my son.

While the first chapter or two felt quite a b
I didn't love this one quite as much as the previous books but still, a pretty good read.
Lindsey Rey
Jul 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Officially out of Sanderson novels to read until Firefight comes out and I read more of the Wheel of Time series D:
Sanaa
Nov 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites-2014
[5 Stars] Go Alcatraz for being awesome! I NEED THE LAST BOOK!
Taylor Ramirez
Reread Review (Spoilers for the ~Entire~ Series): http://libralita.tumblr.com/post/1665...

This book was not stoopid.

~Spoilers~

“My name is Alcatraz Smedry, my Talent is breaking things, and I’m stoopid. Really, really, really stoopid. So stoopid, I don’t know to spell the word stupid.”—Page 11

I love Alcatraz.

Apparently, I’ve been counting wrong, according to the chapter numbers in this book it actually goes:

2, 6, pi, 4½, 42, 144, Act V scene iii, A+, No!, 1010, 25601, 070706, 6.022140857 x 10^23,
Gary
Aug 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As usual another great piece by Brandon Sanderson. Glad I waited until now to take this series in with the final book less that 2 weeks away. I would have been annoyed over this cliff hanger.
Emily Michelle
Dec 16, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely adore this series and I think this book is the best one so far. There was a lot more action than in the last book, as Alcatraz sneaks into a besieged Mokian city in order to force his protectors to join the Mokians' defense. We get a lot of answers about what Al's parents are up to and see certain events that have been vaguely alluded to throughout the whole series (though not as many as we might like), we get to see Alcatraz mature and really step up to bat (although don't expect a ...more
Snazzy Reads
Jan 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This series is amazing!
Kinga
“This is my story. Or, well, part four of it. Otherwise known as “The part where everything goes wrong, and then Alcatraz has a cheese sandwich.”
Enjoy.”

That was a perfect summary for this whole book, actually.

Like really, anything that could have gone wrong went wrong. I’m not going to spoil anything here, but if you’re just about to read this part of the story, be prepared.

I’m really curious how this would all end, as there have already been so many huge turning points and twists. I do have
Shel
Jun 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: middle-grade
Sanderson, B. (2010). Alcatraz Versus the Shattered Lens. New York: Scholastic Press.

292 pages.

Internetz, you have not been witness to it. But a great battle of wills was just averted. When my co-assistant and I learned that our boss was receiving an advance copy of the fourth book in the Alcatraz series, we went to war with one another. My boss's office was left in far from perfect condition. Her many books were tossed from their slumping shelves, torn to pieces. Shredded pages rained down like
A.L. Sowards
I read this to my kids and we enjoyed it. We had to pause a few times because we were laughing too hard to keep reading. Anyway, this book was at times sillier than the rest of the series, at times more serious. We've already started book 5 (and hope book 6 will be out really, really soon).
Jonathan Rader
Fun Read. Had the usual humor and silliness, but there was also a depth to Alcatraz's experiences at the end of the book that I really enjoyed and was thought provoking. Great book for middle-grade readers!
Rae
Mar 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Alcatraz and the Smedry's continue to get into trouble as they try to save the Mokians from the invading Librarian army.

Another great book--and added chapter to Alcatraz's life. Also highly entertaining in audiobook format by Ramón de Ocampo.
Libby Ames
Dec 30, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ahh Alcatraz, such refreshing humor after several dark books. I have a 12 year old friend who passes on his Alcatraz books after he has finished them. Apparently, I appreciate the same bizarre humor as he does: sarcastic side notes by the narrator, absurdly numbered chapters, and clever critique on the art of writing. The disappointing thing is that Sanderson's cleverest writing is lost on his intended audience. Few fifth and sixth graders could catch the genius of chapter Act V, Scene III where ...more
Kim (magicsandwiches) Lawyer
It's open war with the librarians (LIE-brarians!), but when Alcatraz travels to the island of Mokia to stave off an assault, he meets his mother and has a very interesting conversation which changes everything. What if the librarians are right and Alcatraz's family is wrong? Is this just another conspiracy?

The first half of the book is completely brilliant. The wacky humor, the silly talents, and the wordplay are all top-notch. The Shakespeare chapter alone makes it worth reading! GAH! It is ama
Mark Baker
May 19, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013, middle-grade
In the (unfortunately) final book of the Alcatraz Smedry series, Alcatraz is off to Mokia to try to keep the librarians from adding that kingdom to the Hushlands. Along the way, he gets a few surprises about his family and his talent. Fans of the series will love this latest adventure. It's filled with humor and action like all the others. Unfortunately, it also sets things up for a final book, which doesn't seem to be happening.

My full review at Carstairs Considers.
Fantasy Buddy Reads: Alcatraz vs the Shattered Lens [Nov 10, 2018] 3 23 Nov 14, 2018 03:23AM

• Little Wizard Stories of Oz (Oz, 7.5)
  • Heroes of the Dustbin (Janitors, #5)
  • Gears of Revolution (Mysteries of Cove, #2)
  • Wizard for Hire
  • The Rogue Knight (Five Kingdoms, #2)
  • The Adventure of the Sussex Vampire
  • Embers of Destruction (Mysteries of Cove, #3)
  • The Mystery of the Scar-Faced Beggar (The Three Investigators, #31)
  • Arah Musim
  • Apprentice Needed (Wizard for Hire, #2)
  • Splatoon, Vol. 3
  • Darkness Buries the Bronze Age (Hardcore History, # 9)
  • Бомж
  • Strike of the Sweepers (Janitors, #4)
  • The Twig Trilogy (Edge Chronicles #4-6): Includes Beyond the Deepwoods, Stormchaser & Midnight Over Sanctaphrax
  • Scars of the Great War (Hardcore History, #8)
  • Brandr: A Viking Warrior Romance (Viking Surrender #2)
Brandon’s major books for the second half of 2016 are The Dark Talent, the final volume in Alcatraz Smedry’s autobiographical account of his battle against the Evil Librarians who secretly rule our world, and Arcanum Unbounded, the collection of short fiction in the Cosmere universe that includes the Mistborn series and the Stormlight
Archive, among others. This collection features The Emperor’s S

Alcatraz Versus The Evil Librarians (6 books)
  • Alcatraz Versus the Evil Librarians (Alcatraz, #1)
  • Alcatraz Versus the Scrivener's Bones (Alcatraz, #2)
  • Alcatraz Versus the Knights of Crystallia (Alcatraz, #3)
  • The Dark Talent (Alcatraz, #5)
  • Bastille vs. the Evil Librarians: The Worldspire (Alcatraz, #6)