Start by marking “Blonde Hair, Blue Eyes” as Want to Read:
Blonde Hair, Blue Eyes

Blonde Hair, Blue Eyes

A missing girl in the news reminds Julia Carroll of herself: nineteen, beautiful, blonde hair, blue eyes.

Julia begins to dig deeper and plans an article for her college paper. She becomes gradually more obsessed with the case, never imagining how close she herself is to danger.

Includes an extract from Karin Slaughter’s gripping new novel, Pretty Girls.
Published June 4th 2015 by Cornerstone Digital

To ask other readers questions about Blonde Hair, Blue Eyes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blonde Hair, Blue Eyes

Original Review: October 2015
Blonde Hair, Blue Eyes is a short-story prequel to Karin Slaughter's September 2015 novel Pretty Girls. It is a brief look at Julia's life before she went missing. In my opinion, I don't feel that it is necessary for readers of Pretty Girls to read this but it provided interesting insight into local crime at the time, Julia's character, some family dynamics,
Karla
Jun 26, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.25 stars**

I’m glad I read this prequel to Pretty Girls second, because after reading pretty girls I feel like I got to know Julia and what her state of mind was prior to her gone missing. Julia was just normal teenage girl whom, even though was physically beautiful she had insecurities and actually hated the attention she got. I found this read hauntingly eerie, and sad knowing what happened to her and even though it was a short read I felt like I knew her and saw how protective she was of her sisters. ♥
Brenda
Julia Carroll was a beautiful nineteen year old, with blonde hair and blue eyes. Studying at the local college, not far from her family’s home, she also worked and wrote articles for the college paper, which she loved. Another missing girl led Julia to do some research on missing girls and what she found horrified her. As she pitched her idea to her editor, she was stunned at the comments from a colleague – and also the results.

Julia had a happy family life – she was the eldest of th
Jan
Dec 29, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: series

This is a prequel short story to Pretty Girls. Of course I read them in reverse order, but in this instance it really didn't seem to matter.

Blonde Hair, Blue Eyes introduces us to Julia, oldest sister of 3, who is a big focal point in Pretty Girls. It is essentially her backstory-going to school, helping at a homeless shelter, working on a story for the school paper about a local missing girl...

Again, not much to this (60 some pages) and I'm not sure why it
Mackey
May 24, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was a just a short little story used as a prelude to her upcoming novel, Pretty Girls, due out soon and which many already have read courtesy of Netgalley. It is set in the very early 90's on the University of Georgia campus in Athens and told by a very beautiful blue eyed, blond haired girl. We are told often, very often, how incredibly beautiful she is. This repetitiveness is partially the reason for my lower rating. That, and while I understand that this was always meant to be a short st ...more
Elaine
Jul 01, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Blonde Hair Blue Eyes is a short story prelude, which gives you the back story for Karin Slaughter’s new novel Pretty Girls. Now I am enjoying Pretty Girls a lot more than this short, I really didn’t like it that much at all. The prime reason was the main character Julia – I hated her and by the end of the read I just wanted to punch her lights out. She is self absorbed, selfish, mean, spiteful and nasty and I couldn’t find a single nice thing to say about her.

In addition she is described as be
Sam Quixote
Jul 11, 2015 rated it it was ok
While it’s listed as a short story, Karin Slaughter’s Blonde Hair, Blue Eyes is more of a prologue to her latest novel, Pretty Girls. It’s just sold separately for some reason (coughmoneycough!).

Set in 1991, Julia’s a pretty 19 year old college student studying journalism. There’s been a spate of attractive young women being abducted in the area and it’s worrying everyone. Guess what happens to Julia at the end of this story?

It’s not just the predictability of the narrative, it’s how absolutel
Brenda
Jul 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Julia is a 19 year old finding her way in the world, making that journey away from her parents and family, trying to be independent, sometimes being an adult. She thinks she is in love for the first time. She is a journalism student writing for the campus newspaper and is given the opportunity to write a front page story. She is increasingly becoming aware of the terrible things men can do to women and has an idea to write about rape.

Karin Slaughter packs a lot into this short story,
Jean
Aug 19, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have always loved Karin Slaughter’s writing. It is heart-pounding, nerve-wracking suspense – usually. In “Blonde Hair, Blue Eyes,” Slaughter’s novella prequel to her newest novel, Pretty Girls, a nineteen-year-old college girl becomes fascinated – obsessed, really – with the disappearance of a young woman much like herself. She was blond, beautiful, and had her whole life ahead of her. Or so it seemed. She was last seen when she left her parents’ home to go buy ice cream for her dad. She never ...more
Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
Julia Carroll can't stop thinking about Beatrice Oliver, a young girl that recently went missing. Was Beatrice Oliver kidnapped and could other young girls be a risk to be kidnapped?

I haven't read anything by Karin Slaughter before I read Blonde Hair, Blue Eyes and even though I found this short story well written and interesting is it just a teaser for her latest book Pretty Girls. She could just as easily just have used it as a prologue for her new book instead of making a short story of it.

I
Rosie
Aug 10, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
After reading a few reviews, I realised this probably wasn't the best introduction I could've had to Karin Slaughter. The short story is set in 1991 and focuses solely on Julia Carroll and her growing obsession with a girl who has recently gone missing. Julia was quite narcissistic and her whole life focus seemed to be on sex and the burden of being attractive (such a burden...). I didn't really like her much. The story develops slowly and it isn't until the last page that the real action occurs ...more
☮Karen
This takes us back to 1991, before Pretty Girls, setting up the character Julia, missing and presumed dead in P.G., getting abducted here. It's very short but packs a wallop in that Julia is trying to get a story printed in her college paper about a series of young pretty women gone missing. She has done her research on rape statistics and meets some resistance with her male counterparts disputing her facts and figures as known in 1991. More recent stats are reeled off at the very end in the Aut ...more
sue
Jun 09, 2015 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: net-galley

This is a short prelude to the next book. I can tell you this much, there is enough in here that keeps you thinking and and wait eagerly for her following book.

When a girl goes missing, she relates this to herself as the description is very much like the person she looks like, pretty girl,. blonde hair, blue eyes.........

Can't wait..........

Thank you [I think] Random House UK, Cornerstone for this book. Quick, need the next one
Marnie  Krüger
This didn't feel like a Karin Slaughter book...
I don't know how to say it otherwise, it didn't had the normal enchantment or the usual grip all her other novels have.

Hopefully Pretty Girls are not as disappointing.
Jay G
Aug 09, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Want to see more bookish things from me? Check out my youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfer...

After a fellow student and local homeless woman goes missing, 19 year old Julia is paranoid that she could be next.

This is the prequel to Pretty Girls, which I haven't read yet. This may be why I didn't feel much of a connection to the main character and I didn't care much for what happened to her. I'm sure if I had read Pretty Girls first I would have enjoyed this a lot more than I did. I do enjoy Karin
Marianne
Jun 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Blonde Hair, Blue Eyes is a kindle short story by popular American author, Karin Slaughter. It details the events of a fateful spring day in the life of nineteen-year-old Julia Carroll, an attractive (blonde hair, blue eyes) student of journalism at University of Georgia, Athens. Her attention has been caught by the report of a college student, also nineteen, also blonde-haired, blue-eyed, now missing for five weeks: Julia may be a features writer for the UGA campus newspaper, but she wants to w ...more
Rebekah Reads
Aug 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I wish I had read this before reading Pretty Girls! It only dawned on me halfway through that this was the prequel to it.
Nonetheless, everything by Karin Slaughter is amazing, and this is another 5-star for me!
Judy Collins
Depending on what part of the country you rest your head, (sooner or later) get prepared with a tantalizing prequel BLONDE HAIR, BLUE EYES by the southern queen of international crime fiction, Karin Slaughter! Get a glimpse of the upcoming ride of your life, setting the stage for her latest new standalone, PRETTY GIRLS. Slaughter is on fire!

Being a huge Karin Slaughter fan, (also a Georgia gal), I anxiously await every book she cranks out. Trust me when I say PRETTY GIRLS, is definitely one yo/>Being
Christine
Jun 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is a short story by the acclaimed crime writer, Karin Slaughter. It takes place before the events in ‘Pretty Girls’, which has been published recently.

Julia Carroll is a nineteen year old university student. In her spare time, she volunteers with a homeless charity and works on a student newspaper. Julia becomes obsessed with missing young women in her area and feels some kind of kinship with them. She notices they are all in appearance like her, blonde and beautiful.

Ashley
Mar 19, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This short novella is a prequel to Karin Slaughter's Pretty Girls. After reading about the horrific crimes committed against Julia, it was interesting to see the events that led up to her abduction. There was a lot of speculation as to what happened in Pretty Girls, but without Julia there was no way to know for certain. The entire time while reading you know what is going to happen to her which makes the entire story even that much more heartbreaking. She had such dreams and wanted to make a differen ...more
Julie
Blonde Hair, Blue Eyes by Karin Slaughter is a 2015 Cornerstone Digital publication. I was provided a copy of this book by the publisher and Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review.

This novella length story sets the stage for the full length novel “ Pretty Girls”.

Julia is a college student concerned about the recent disappearance of a couple of girls who are strikingly similar in appearance. She is hoping to be a reporter/journalist and wants to write a story about rape statistic
Amina
Jul 18, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Blonde Hair, Blue Eyes is a short story -and the prequel to Pretty Girls- in which we are introduced to
Julia Carroll a ninteen years old beautiful girl, student at the local college, volunteer at the shelter, oldest of three girls, she moved to the campus to give herself some independance, but she usually drops by their house which is not very far. Julia has a long time best friend who's also her roomate and a great boyfriend, she also writes articles for the college paper.. When another b
Autumn Is Azathoth
Review: BLOND HAIR, BLUE EYES by Karin Slaughter

A short story prequel to Karin Slaughter' s newest novel, PRETTY GIRLS, this story proves that horror doesn't have to be alien, otherworldly, or supernatural to be terrifying and implacable. A tautly-written piece that touches on a number of contemporary issues, BLOND HAIR, BLUE EYES left me with the persistent thoughts of "unavoidable" and "implacable." I shan't soon forget it.
Ângela
Jun 10, 2017 rated it it was ok
Well... I didn't like it much.

I found this story quite predictable, and all the things that kept happen to Julia made this story even more unlikable.

Her teacher harassed her, her roomate (suposed best friend) is not a good friend at all, she is marginalised by her fellow collegues in the University newspapper. And what does she do about it? Nothing.
She is not sure if her boyfriend really like her or not, so she went to a bar and started flirting with a stranger. What happened after that?
Predictability happend...
Selene
Overall, there wasn’t much going on in this short story besides all of the third-person inner monologue revolving around the woes of college life. The ending snuck up on me quickly, though!
Chandra Claypool (wherethereadergrows)
3.5 stars for this short story from one of my favorite authors. I had guessed the ending very early on but the meat of the story is the percentages and sweeping under the rug of very big issues for women within the media. However, for the most part, I grew a bit tired of the inner monologue that felt somewhat repetitive for such a short story.

What did I love the most? That the main character is a KICK ASS POOL PLAYER... gets me every time ;).
Ethan
Aug 05, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The year is 1991 and college student Julia Carroll has her whole life ahead of her. She's a bright aspiring journalist, dedicated student, and loving daughter and sister. Her strong investigative instincts lead her to the story of Beatrice Oliver, a local girl who mysteriously disappeared a few weeks ago. Oliver left her home to buy some ice cream for her father and never returned. As often happens in missing person cases, time advanced, evidence was scarce, and the trail went cold.

I
Cocktails and Books
This review was originally posted on Cocktails and Books

A prequel to Pretty Girls that introduces us to Julia Carrol a blond haired blued eyed college student who starts to investigate disappearances of other girls who resemble her.

Karin always blows my mind with her detail writing. It scares me sometimes at how her mind works. She can very well be the female Stephen King .

Being that this is a prequel it should be read before Pretty Girls, but be warned. If you alread
Michelle
Apr 27, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this novella which is a prequel to Pretty Girls better than the sequel. Instead of using the gore and shock tactics that were so dominant in Pretty Girls, Blonde Hair, Blue Eyes was much more of a psychological thriller. It focused on building atmosphere and tension -- which can be tough when most readers coming to the work already know how it ends. I thought this was well done.
Amber
Aug 13, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015-read
Told in first person narrative, the story is rather slow and suffers an overuse of information delivered via parenthesis during streams of Julia's thoughts. This happens, what feels like, several times per page with mostly unnecessary information, or information the author easily could have worked into the story. While I'd like to think that the authors hope was this would give us insight into Julias character, this jerky, unorganized manner of thought really only made me feel as if the author w ...more
How to Choose beauty Product for Female 1 3 Nov 06, 2017 05:54AM
Shapiro MD shampoo 1 1 Oct 23, 2017 01:04AM

• A Bad Day for Mercy (Bad Day, #4)
  • High Tide
  • Clone Hunter (Clone Rebellion Chronicles)
  • Last Dance of a Black Widow
  • Nothing Matters
  • Pittsburgh Backyard and Garden (Elfhome, #1.5)
  • 3 Truths and a Lie (Detective D.D. Warren, #7.5)
  • The Listener (Virtue Falls, #0.5)
  • We Were There: Revelations from the Dallas Doctors Who Attended to JFK on November 22, 1963
  • Little Lies
  • Stranded (Maggie O'Dell, #11)
  • Taken
  • Here Be Dragons (Lacey Flint, #4.5)
  • Ground Zero (The Becoming, #2)
  • The Loft (Memory House, #2)
  • A Cold Dark Promise (Cold Justice #8.5)
  • Ready to Roll (Troubleshooters, #16.8; Troubleshooters: Izzy Novellas, #3)
  • Saved By The Belles
Karin Slaughter is one of the world’s most popular and acclaimed storytellers. Published in 120 countries with more than 35 million copies sold across the globe, her nineteen novels include the Grant County and Will Trent books, as well as the Edgar-nominated COP TOWN and the instant NEW YORK TIMES bestselling novels PRETTY GIRLS, THE GOOD DAUGHTER, and PIECES OF HER. Her most recent book, THE LAS ...more
“The only reason my daughter has not come home is because someone is keeping her.” Keeping her.” 0 likes