Start by marking “By a Thread” as Want to Read:
By a Thread

By a Thread

Leon’s never felt as strongly about any man as he does Andrew, but when Andrew asks to meet him for dinner, Leon’s sure things are over before they’ve even started. Except Andrew isn’t coming to dinner to call things off. He’s coming to drop an entirely different bomb.

Andrew’s a sorcerer. He can manipulate fire, he can manipulate lightning… but like most of his kind, what
Kindle Edition, 2nd edition, 71 pages
Published June 2nd 2015 (first published October 17th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about By a Thread, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about By a Thread

Ami
This novella is basically a loooong foreplay so that Leon can have safe sex with his boyfriend, Andrew, a fire sorcerer, without getting burn or struck by lightning. A lot of promises and kisses and attempts before they finally work it out.

It is just okay for me. Not totally blown by it *shrugs*. The two MCs are likeable though.

Technicality: first person present tense (for those who think tenses matter)
Simsala
3,25 stars

Not an outstanding but nonetheless sweet love story where the sparkling electricity and fireworks were all to real...
clear skies
Dec 06, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Basic plot is this one guy is a sorcerer and the other is human. The thing is magic folk can't be with human folk because of their power. The magic folk cannot control their magic when in certain situations. So basically this book was about how to have sex without the magic blowing them up.
Jacq ~
Cute story.
Not much of a plot. This story was just a long long foreplay, absolutely no fun. HFN :(
Feliz
Mar 30, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, m-m
Interesting take on the use and/ or perils of elemental magic. Liked this story!
L.A. Witt
Nov 07, 2014 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Out of print.
Elle Schroder
Jun 09, 2019 rated it liked it
This was quite a short book.  71 pages, so definitely a novella rather than a novel.

It's a paranormal m/m romance, and the paranormal aspect is that Andrew, one of the two main characters, is a fire sorcerer.  Leon is non-magic.

The story is quite simple.  I feel like there was potential for the author to expand on the world, the characters and the romance quite easily and turn this into a full-length novel.  She didn't, though.

The book deals primarily with the fact that a sorcerer must retain
Serena Yates
The effects of magic, or at least what we imagine them to be, can be devastating. And not only because they might be dangerous when magic is wielded, but, as in this book, magic could affect sorcerers in different ways. This story asks the question what happens when a sorcerer and a non-magical man fall in love and want to get physical – but can’t, because every time the sorcerer loses control, stops to focus on reining himself in, the non-magical human might get hurt. Or even die.

Please find my
cmbookdiva
Oct 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable read.
Sammy Goode
Jul 23, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
y A Thread by L.A. Witt explores the idea of one's man touch being tantamount to a death threat to his lover. As her story unfolds, we come to find out that Andrew is not just any sorcerer but one in which two strong veins of magic reside, fire and lightening. The combination, when uncontrolled, can mean almost certain death to any sexual partner that Andrew has--unless it is another sorcerer who can combat the magic with some of his own. SO Leon is faced with the dilemma--let Andrew walk out of ...more
Sadonna
Nov 03, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mm, pdf
Review to come shortly at The Armchair Reader.

This site is down. Here is the review.

I’ve read a number of stories by this author and I’ve liked all of them – some more than others. This is a shorter story, which is something that I think is difficult to do well but is done pretty well here.

At the opening of this story, it seems that our main character, Leon, has not been very lucky in love. But he really likes this new guy Andrew. When Andrew asks him to meet for dinner, he’s convinced that he’
Lucy
Oct 30, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I believe this might be the first book I’ve read in first person present tense that I made it all the way through. I will admit right off, not my favorite thing to read, but it wasn’t enough to turn me away from the story. I’m glad, because I thought this was sweet and romantic.

Andrew is a fire sorcerer with a side of lightening. He is falling for the lovely Leon and asks to meet him for dinner for “a talk”. Leon is so bummed, because he’s sure a talk means THE talk, the breakup talk. That’s no
Melissa
Undeniable Chemistry!!

Those words describe Leon and Andrew perfectly! Andrew is a fire sorcerer and Leon is a non-magic. It's very dangerous for them to be together intimately because Andrew could lose control of his power and hurt Leon and at one point he does get hurt. This makes Andrew even more skeptical of being intimate with Leon so they continue their relationship without being physical.

As they fall deeper in love, you can see how much they want each other and how hard it is for both of t
Sierra
Sep 15, 2016 rated it liked it
This was a sexy literally slow burn romance. While the story is short in length, it takes place over many months and allows you feel the frustrations of the characters. The depth of the romance and their commitment to each other really comes through. The author really builds the sexual tension while showing how, in a way, it strengthens the relationship. How will they work it out? Once they get to the sex (as you know they will!) it is quite hot (no bad pun intended). I felt that the book left u ...more
Kali
Feb 02, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
WOW, I can't believe I'm saying this, but I found a book by this author that I didn't like...not even a little bit. Mind blown! I'm such a fan of Witt's, and maybe it's the cliche "it's not you, it's me" but what the hell was that all about? Yes, I get the whole one's human, one is not, they want to have sex but can't SO! They must find a way! Umm...no, sorry this one wasn't for me.
Diane
Jan 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Playing With Fire!

This is a wonderful short story that 'sizzles' with tension, what-ifs, and a very satisfying HEA 'hopefully.' The love the characters demonstrate for each other is 'electrifying!'
Michelle
Nov 06, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
2.5 stars.
The characters were basic,, not enough to become invested in either of them. Drawn out storyline..
Thomaidha Papa
Hah! Sparkling and scorching!!!
Spoonkick
Very short, and it had a bit more sex than I usually look for. But the sex was well written. And Leon and Andrew were very cute and enjoyable. A very nice quick read.
Tailtiu
Oct 19, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3,5*
Susan
Mar 07, 2016 rated it liked it
Fascinating premise, I enjoyed it!
Claudia
Not the best work I've read from this author but not bad either
Pixie Mmgoodbookreviews
2 1/2 Hearts

Review to follow
Kayla
Nov 10, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Short read, but cute story.
Avalie
Jun 15, 2015
Gabi
Oct 29, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• How the Other Half Lives (London Lads, #2)
  • Clockwork Tangerine
  • Too Many Fairy Princes
  • Dire Straits
  • Healer (The Institute #1)
  • The Truth About Al
  • In the Dark (PsyCop, #6.1)
  • Jamie (Dominion, #2.5)
  • Can't Hurry Love
  • Wizard (Bloodraven, #2)
  • Blue-Eyed Soul
  • Bitterwood
  • For The Attention Of (Pushing the Envelope, #1)
  • Broken Bonds (Souls in Bondage, #1)
  • Saviours of Oestend (Oestend, #2)
  • Isherwood (Isherwook Pack #1)
  • Magically His (Hidden Magic #3)
  • Destroyer of Worlds (SPECTR, #5)
L.A. Witt and her husband have been exiled from Spain and sent to live in Maine because rhymes are fun. She now divides her time between writing, assuring people she is aware that Maine is cold, wondering where to put her next tattoo, and trying to reason with a surly Maine coon. Rumor has it her arch nemesis, Lauren Gallagher, is also somewhere in the wilds of New England, which is why L.A. is al ...more