Start by marking “Because of Miss Bridgerton (Rokesbys, #1)” as Want to Read:
Because of Miss Bridgerton (Rokesbys, #1)

Because of Miss Bridgerton (Rokesbys #1)

3.87  ·  Rating details ·  14,423 Ratings  ·  1,606 Reviews

This is not one of those times.

Everyone expects Billie Bridgerton to marry one of the Rokesby brothers. The two families have been neighbors for centuries, and as a child the tomboyish Billie ran wild with Edward and Andrew. Either one would make a perfect husband... someday.

Sometimes you fall in love with exactly
Mass Market Paperback, 375 pages
Published March 29th 2016 by Avon

To ask other readers questions about Because of Miss Bridgerton, please sign up.
Hilda Like Ankon just said, we had a very short story of Violet and Edmund in The Bridgertons Happily Ever After. Sadly Mrs. Julia Quinn said she would not…moreLike Ankon just said, we had a very short story of Violet and Edmund in The Bridgertons Happily Ever After. Sadly Mrs. Julia Quinn said she would not write a full length book about them because it would be too sad knowing how it would end. (less)

Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
If you can believe it, this was my first experience with a Julia Quinn book, and I had no IDEA what I was missing.

I've heard great things about Julia Quinn, but I've been burned in the past by overhyped writers, especially in the historical romance genre. It turns out, I have very specific tastes in historical romance. I've fallen in love with the Tessa Dare and Courtney Milan brand of historical romance, which mainly consists of smart, out-of-the-box women, snappy dialogue, lots of humor, and
Daniella
Oct 30, 2015 rated it liked it
Because of Miss Bridgerton started off quite unsteadily. For the first half of the book, the writing was too fragmented, and the flow wasn't as fluid as I'd expect from a Julia Quinn novel. It was almost as if Ms. Quinn was still trying to get a solid foothold on things in the first 30%-40%. There was an abundance of unnecessary details and dialogues that didn't blend well together.

It was hard to get into scenes like this:

“No,” he said dryly, “you’re much too sensible for that.”
Billie decided t
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
This book was such fun! I love Billie Bridgerton. She is full of snark, a tomboy, watches over her father's estate, wears breeches as much as possible, she's just great. She is definitely not like the woman in 1779. She likes to ride her horse out and check on the crops and the tenants. I think it's brilliant. But she won't be the one inheriting, one day it will be her younger brother. I'm sure she can whip him into shape though.

They are also great friends with the Rokesby family. Billie's best
Alex ☣ Deranged KittyCat ☣

When in doubt, but you want a high rating anyway, go for the half stars.

description

I'll just copy/paste the blurb because historical romance (nothing new, really):

Som
Jilly
Nov 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Aww, I'm so glad I stopped torturing myself with a bad series and followed up with Julia Quinn. Her first Bridgerton series was soooo good. Apparently, this series is set before the Bridgerton series, and we get to learn a couple of things, such as the birth of "The Mallet of Death".

This book was a really sweet romance that built slowly and had all of the delicious banter that JQ writes so well. She has a way of writing situations and conversations that are full of dry wit and quirk. I always fi
Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
Everyone expects Billie Bridgerton to marry one of the Rokesby brothers. The two families have been neighbors for centuries, and as a child, the tomboyish Billie ran wild with Edward and Andrew. Either one would make a perfect husband... someday.

Billie Bridgerton has always been expected to fall in love with one of the Rokjesby brothers. The two families have been neighbors and friends for centuries and the tomboy Billie has always been close to Edward and Andrew and someday one of the would mak
Susana
2.5 Stars

I still remember what I felt when I read the Bridgertons for the very first time: It was pure fun.
I loved them. From Daphne to Gregory's stories, I could inhale them! I still "remember" when Gregory inadvertently pushes Simon into the river. ;)
The wit, the swoon worth romance, the writing, all of it was gold... that is why, it pains me to say this now, but it feels as if the author has lost that magical touch :/
Sure, I had some fun reading the beginning of this story: Billie is suppose
sraxe
Hmm...it was fun, but definitely not Quinn's best. This book was a nice change from some of the books I've been reading recently, so that was a definite plus for it there. It was fun because I tend to like the sort of love-hate/bickering/opposites-attract dynamic, which is somewhat present here. Billie and George don't get along, and that's mostly because they're pretty much polar opposites, with Billie being the adventurous spirit, while George is more staid (or, to her, the stick in the mud). ...more
Stacey is Sassy
Dec 28, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's great to catch up with the Bridgertons.

Because of Miss Bridgerton was a cute story where love blossomed unexpectedly between family friends. Billie Bridgerton is a bit of a tomboy who at times, recklessly jumps into situations that get her into strife. This time her escapade leads her to needing assistance, and her unlikely hero, while not her first choice to save the day, leads to an attraction neither of them can deny.
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)

At long last, Julia Quinn has come back to the family we all love, the Bridgertons! But, what do we think of her new book Because of Miss Bridgerton? We ask two of the Bridgerton series craziest fans their thoughts on the new book.

So girls, what were your thoughts when you saw that Julia Quinn was bringing a new book featuring the Bridgertons?

Annie: I lost my shit. The Bridgertons is one of my all-time favorite Historical Romance series and I still believe it’s some of Quinn’s best work so whe
Caz
Jun 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
There can’t be many people in Romancelandia who haven’t at the very least heard of Julia Quinn’s Bridgerton series. Through eight books (not including the subsequently published set of Second Epilogues), we followed the eight Bridgerton siblings as they found love, romance and their happily ever afters, and they’ve become some of the most beloved and iconic creations in the historical romance genre.

The problem for any author who has achieved such a feat must be how on earth to follow such a re
Sharon
I've already read 9 books about the Bridgteron family, but FUCK YES to a prequel. I honestly miss this family, even though this is technically in the "past" (more past than it already was).
----------
Romantic. Funny. Heartwarming.

Plot
I am SUCH a sucker for love-hate relationships. Billie and Geroge just make my heart melt with their endless cute bantering. I love the pacing of the romance, the light atmosphere, the humor, the cuteness, the strong family theme – this book is pretty much perfect. I
Alyssa
Mar 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016-releases
***Review posted on The Eater of Books! blog***

Because of Miss Bridgerton by Julia Quinn
Book One of the Rokesbys series
Publication Date: March 29, 2016
Rating: 4 stars
Source: ARC sent by the publisher

***Warning: this is an adult book, and for the eyes of mature readers***

Summary (from Goodreads):

Ewa
First half of the book was a struggle for me. The tomboyish heroine, the I'm-not-sure-what-to-do with-my-life hero were both rather annoying and I had a hard time warming up to them and wishing them HEA. I felt it was an attempt at some level of angst and it failed.

Once they stopped fighting their mutual attraction it somehow got better and it turned out to be a sweet story.

One thing though - I missed the fact that it's a prequel. For the most part of the book I was sure I was reading about Ka
Lady Gabriella of Awesomeness (On Hiatus)
★★★★ 4 "Have you ever danced with me ?" Stars ★★★★

I can't tell you how glad I am to ended up giving this one a four star ! I've always been a huge fan of JQ's books but after rating The Sum of All Kisses a two and the low ratings from my GR besties on The Secrets of Sir Richard Kenworthy,I was worried this one wouldn't really meet my expectations much.

But it did and so much more ! Thank god for that !

Loved everything about the book :) I found the characters (both lead & secondary),the plot-
Esther
ARC Provided by Edelweiss for honest review. Thank you!

The synopsis of the book pretty much gives you the over arching story line so my review isn't going that direction for this one. But this one review I will go on and on about how this author does a beautiful job in creating wonderful characters.

George and Billie come to life in this story and I mean I'm right there with them feeling and experiencing what they are. George with his stubborn, stoic demeanor, but a heart of gold that would do a
Becca
Apr 09, 2017 rated it it was ok
It pains me---truly PAINS me--to say this, but I could not get into this JQ novel. In fact, I almost didn't finish it. I still gave it more than one star because there were glimmers of the old magic in there (e.g., sibling squabbling with Andrew), but overall, this was an enormous disappointment.

I am not going to rehash what happens in this story because really, NOTHING HAPPENS. I'm serious. I love character-driven novels where the development of the relationship is the focal point and not a lot
Dina
Sep 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4 1/2 stars (rounded up to 5 stars, because nobody writes light and funny historical romance with the right amount of "seriousness" to prevent it from becoming fluffy like Julia Quinn)
Jen
3.5 Stars

Let me start off by saying I love me some Julia Quinn. For my money The Bridgertons, specifically Colin and Hyacinth and the fun they bring, are some of the best historical romance characters ever.

That being said, Because of Miss Bridgerton ended up being more meh than any of the previous Julia Quinn books I've read. I enjoyed it but that spark I've come to love just seemed to be missing.

Still, a so so Bridgertons book, even if it's Auntie Bridgerton's, is better than most historicals o
Cee (The Mistress Case)

Just take my money now. Please. JUST TAKE IT!!

Julia Quinn, you are the best!

Angie Elle
Jan 05, 2016 added it
Shelves: dnf, overrated
This book was provided by Edelweiss and AVON in exchange for an honest review.

DNF @ 44%, so I won't be rating this one.

It is with great pain that I write this 'review.' At 44%, I have decided not to finish this book. Nothing has even happened yet. It's been a non-stop verbal sparring fest between Billie and George, and quite frankly, I don't care for either one of them. Is this really a Julia Quinn book? And a Bridgerton one at that? This is nowhere near the caliber of the original Bridgerton se
Christina (A Reader of Fictions)
I OFFICIALLY HAVE A FAVORITE JULIA QUINN. Because of Miss Bridgerton was immediately my favorite from the very first page. This is by far the funniest of Quinn’s books that I’ve read, and the ship is pure fucking gold. SHIP SHIP FLAIL SHIP.

I mean, the heroine, Billie, has climbed up a tree to save a demon cat and fallen on a roof where she is now stuck with an injured ankle. Where, of course, the only person nearby is George Rokesby, the oldest of the neighbor boys, the only one who’s not her de
Andrea (Catsos Person) is a Compulsive eBook Hoarder
Sigh

I really liked the plot.

BUT

I am very upset that I still don't really know very much about the h/H appearance. I like to know something more about how characters look in HR and I like good looking h/H.

When I started this book, I was very excited that this was a Georgian HR. But this was sorely lacking in period detail to make this a successful novel of the 18th C that I like.
Except for that date given to indicate 18th C, there was little else to indicate a Georgian HR.

There were only two t
Paige  Bookdragon

Light, funny and cute as fuck.

It's always a pleasure to read a Julia Quinn book. If this is some other authors that we are talking about, I would have bitched and accused them of milking their best selling series *cough Clare and Cass cough* but not Miss Julia Quinn. She could write and write series that revolves around the Bridgerton and I wouldn't mind. Not at all.

Because of Miss Bridgerton made me laugh so hard because the characters were witty, the scenes were spectacular and the romance is
Mei
Oct 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: historical
My friends are right: this is a very good book, but not up to Bridgerton's series.

Still Ms. Quinn's writing is stellar as usual!

I suppose that this being the first book, some concessios must be made, as we are introduced to new family: the Rokesbys. Therefore we must be introduced to their dynamics, their characteristics, their quirks. So the story suffers because of that.

But I still loved the not-very-much-loved-acquaintance to lover's story. It was simple and straitforward, but also sweet and
Chris
Jan 18, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2016, romance
Overall a fairly delightful Julia Quinn read, but lacks the depth and complexity of her earlier works. Everything came together a little too quickly at the end, with earlier plot points being dropped and an overly tidy resolution. If you've enjoyed her later books (particularly the Smythe-Smith quartet), you will likely enjoy this. If you miss the emotional depth and richer plots of the Bridgertons, you won't find it here.
Lady Wesley
I wanted to love this book, but it got off to a horribly slow start. The banter was not really funny. There was too much modern language (Billie actually told Andrew to "shut up").

The saving grace was George. What a wonderful beta hero! He has known Billy his entire life and is so darn confounded to suddenly find himself attracted to her. I adored George.
♥ℳelody
Jul 17, 2016 marked it as never-will-i-ever-read
This is going out unread. Summer cleaning and I just can't bring myself to read this. I bought this too and immediately regretted it. That's how indifferent I've become to JQ's work. I have a towering to-read pile and little patience on wasting my time with 'meh' books.
Catarina
4,5 Stars.

When Julia Quinn writes a historical romance, she always write a winner and this book is the proof of it. After falling in love with the Bridgertons series, she made me fall in love again with the first book of the Rokesbys, one that I will mostly definitely be following.

description
Steam: Some heated moments. It is a historical book after all...
Sensible Subjects: (view spoiler)
Love Triangle: (view spoiler)
Cheating: (view spoiler)
  • Marrying Winterborne (The Ravenels, #2)
  • Duke of Sin (Maiden Lane, #10)
  • The Rogue Not Taken (Scandal & Scoundrel, #1)
  • The Earl Takes All (The Hellions of Havisham, #2)
  • How the Duke Was Won (The Disgraceful Dukes, #1)
  • Lord Dashwood Missed Out (Spindle Cove, #4.5)
  • Chasing Lady Amelia (Keeping Up with the Cavendishes, #2)
  • Luck Be a Lady (Rules for the Reckless, #4)
  • Dukes Prefer Blondes (The Dressmakers, #4)
  • The Study of Seduction (Sinful Suitors, #2)
  • Love and Other Scandals (Scandalous, #1)
  • My American Duchess
  • When the Marquess Met His Match (An American Heiress in London, #1)
  • The Highwayman (Victorian Rebels, #1)
  • It Started With a Scandal (Pennyroyal Green, #10)
#1 New York Times bestselling author Julia Quinn loves to dispel the myth that smart women don't read (or write) romance, and in 2001 she did so in grand style, competing on the the game show The Weakest Link and walking away with the $79,000 jackpot. She displayed a decided lack of knowledge about baseball, country music, and plush toys, but she is proud to say that she aced all things British an ...more
More about Julia Quinn

Rokesbys (3 books)
  • The Girl with the Make-Believe Husband (Rokesbys, #2)
  • The Other Miss Bridgerton (Rokesbys, #3)

Romance Deals

• Hidden Secrets
  • Breath of Malice
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Kian (Undercover Billionaire, #1)
  • Greensleeves
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Everything We Keep (Everything #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • From Thin Air (A Black Swan Historical Romance, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Sweet Caroline (Lowcountry Romance #1)
  • All the Breaking Waves
    $4.99 $1.99
  • To Hope (The Broken Roads #5)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Royally Bad (Bad Boy Royals #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Royally Ruined (Bad Boy Royals #2)
  • The Finishing Touches
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Roses
    $11.99 $3.99
  • Accidentally in Love with...a God? (Accidentally Yours, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Splinter (Reliquary, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Claimed (Servants of Fate, #2)
  • Keeping You a Secret
  • The PMS Club
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Gypsy (The Promised Land, #3)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Bodyguard (Hollywood A-List, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Willow (The Promised Land #1)
  • Mosaic (Reliquary #3)
  • The Lullaby Sky
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Secretly Hers (Sterling Canyon, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Tycoon Takedown (Lone Star Burn, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Come High Water (A Black Swan Historical Romance, #3)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Before I Knew (The Cabots, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Paradise of Glass (The Glassblower Trilogy #3)
  • Trusting You & Other Lies
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Once Haunted, Twice Shy (Peyton Clark, #2)
  • The Story of Beautiful Girl
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Lullaby Girl (Angie Pallorino, #2)
  • Say Goodbye for Now
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Bridged (Callahan & McLane, #2)
  • Love Is
  • The Unimaginable
  • The Hating Game
    $11.24 $1.99
  • Unbeautifully (Undeniable, #2)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • His Darling Bride (Echoes of the Heart #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Augusta (The Promised Land, #5)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Twisted Truth (Rogue Justice #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Morning Glory (Drifters & Dreamers, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Worth the Wait (St. James, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • My Best Friend's Ex (Binghamton #2)
  • A Totally Awkward Love Story
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Charmingly Yours (Morning Glory, #1)
  • Sit! Stay! Speak!
  • In the Barren Ground
  • About the Night
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Violet's Wish (Oklahoma Land Rush, #2)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Exploited (Zero Day, #1)
  • About That Fling
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Promises to Keep (Love in Provence Book 2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Taken Home (Lone Star Burn, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hard to Handle (Caine Cousins, #2)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Austen Escape
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Garnet (The Promised Land, #4)
  • The Strawberry Hearts Diner
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Truth Be Told (Rogue Justice #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Born of Shadows (The League, #4)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • A Merciful Death (Mercy Kilpatrick #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • From Wine to Water (Angels & Outlaws, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Worth the Risk (St. James #3)
  • The Dove
  • The Ladies' Room
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Too Hot to Handle (Romancing the Clarksons, #1)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Accidentally Hers (Sterling Canyon, #1)
  • Kissing Max Holden
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Known (Bone Secrets, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Omega (Penton Legacy, #3)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Taking Charge (Lone Star Burn, #4)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Vanished (Callahan & McLane #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • All the Lies We Tell (Quarry Road, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hidden (Bone Secrets, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Seven Nights in a Rogue's Bed (Sons of Sin, #1)
  • The Ivy Tree
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Evening Star (The Drifters & Dreamers #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Misadventures of the First Daughter (Misadventures, #3)
  • Daisies in the Canyon
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Claiming Felicity (Ace Security, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • All the Beautiful Brides (Graveyard Falls, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Barefoot in the Rain (Barefoot Bay, #2; Barefoot Bay Universe, #2)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Only You (Sweet Torment, #2)
    $4.49 $0.99
  • A Merciful Truth (Mercy Kilpatrick, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Claiming Alexis (Ace Security, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Unlucky in Love (Lucky, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Merciful Secret (Mercy Kilpatrick, #3)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Difference Between Us (Opposites Attract #2)
  • Bullets & Bonfires
  • White Lace and Promises
    $3.99 $0.99
  • To Commit (The Broken Roads #2)
  • The Yard Rose
  • Otherkin
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Driven by Fire (Fire, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Taken, Not Spurred (Lone Star Burn, #1)
  • One Summer Day in Rome: A Novel
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Sixth Grave on the Edge (Charley Davidson, #6)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Chasing Down a Dream: A Blessings Novel
  • The Pursuit of Love
    $11.99 $1.99
“You are so beautiful,” he whispered. He stepped closer, but before she could touch him he took her hand and brought it to his lips.
“When I saw you tonight I think my heart stopped beating.”
“And is it now?” she whispered.
He took her hand and laid it over his heart. She could feel it pounding beneath his skin, almost hear it reverberating through her own body. He was so strong, and so solid, and so wonderfully male.
“Do you know what I wanted to do?” he murmured.
She shook her head, too entranced by the low heat of his voice to make a noise of her own.
“I wanted to turn you around and push you right back through the door before anyone else saw you. I didn’t want to share you.” He traced her lips with his finger. “I still don’t.”
9 likes
“George leaned to the right so that he could see her from behind his brother. “Shall I strangle him or will you?” She rewarded him with a devious smile. “Oh, it must be a joint endeavor, don’t you think?” “So that you may share the blame?” Andrew quipped. “So that we may share the joy,” Billie corrected. “You wound me.” “Happily, I assure you.” 9 likes