Start by marking “Embers (Abiassa's Fire, #1)” as Want to Read:
Embers (Abiassa's Fire, #1)

Embers

(Abiassa's Fire #1)

He's coming for them. And the kingdom.

Haegan and Kaelyria Celahar are royal heirs of the Nine Kingdoms, but Haegan is physically crippled. What chance does he have against Poired Dyrth, the greatest enemy the kingdom has ever faced, who wields fire with a power none can match?

Published October 16th 2015 by Enclave Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Embers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Embers

Tracey Dyck
Aug 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018-reads, owned
First off, I LOVE the concept of this book! A fire-wielding princess trades places with her crippled brother, and he must go on a quest to save her from his own paralyzed fate. I was interested based on the sibling dynamic alone, never mind the disability and the fire powers.

WHAT I LIKED:

-Male protagonist! There aren’t enough of those around. Haegan was a well-rounded hero with refreshing weaknesses to contend with. Having been paralyzed for years, only to receive movement quite suddenly, he wa
H.S.J. Williams
Jun 11, 2015 marked it as to-read
Can I just say how REFRESHING it is to hear of a Christian fantasy novel with a young man as main character? Finally.
Toni Shiloh
Sep 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I'm an avid reader of all books by Ronie Kendig and she did not disappoint. From the opening scene she weaves a tale that is intriguing and captivating. The imagery and every word was used to engage the senses and put the reader into the world of Haegan and Kaelyria Celahar, heirs to the Nine Kingdoms. But she doesn't stop with just the brother and sister. She has a cast of characters, each important to the quest Haegan must make to get to the Great Falls. I absolutely loved this book and could ...more
Brittany
Oct 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I recently took a reading leap of faith and read a book that is far outside my normal literary choice. Although I enjoy fantasy movies, I really had not read a purely speculative fantasy novel before. Knowing that I have enjoyed Ronie Kendig’s military fiction and that I like her writing style gave me the courage to step into this unknown world. I am very glad I did.

It took me a little while to get the “lay of the land”, so to speak, as well as to understand who the many characters were and how
Marian Baay
Oct 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
“Surprising” and “amazing” sums up my first thoughts about “Embers” by Ronie Kendig. But really a lot of “WOWs” are going through my mind right now. I have enjoyed all of Ronie’s books and when I heard she had written speculative fiction, I could not wait to explore the story world she had created.
Kendig did not disappoint in this genre; she threw me right into the story – into another world – and kept my attention all along. Fast-pacing and heart racing, “Embers” had me nearly constantly on the
Emilie Hendryx
Sep 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Embers is captivating and brilliant--a fantasy tale that draws you into a world of heat and fire, good and evil. Ronie Kendig delivers a searing tale that will leave you craving more!

Siblings, one crippled the other gifted. A enemy who will stop at nothing to wage war. A long forgotten prophecy that will change the course of history. This is the recipe for a fantastic read and Ronie Kendig is the master chef who has brought it all together in Embers.

I really don't know where to start this review
Jamie
Aug 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
I’m so excited for Ronie with this release! For those of you familiar with Ronie’s previous books, you know she’s known for her action packed military novels. Her first release in the Abiassa’s Fire Series though? Fantasy! So excited! As y’all know, I am a bit of a “fan” of this genre. So without further ado…

One of the things guaranteed with a novel written by Ronie? Plenty of non stop action. And Embers has just that. With a new and very imaginative world, full of those who understand given po
Serena Chase
Jan 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
EMBERS is a stunningly gorgeous fantasy/speculative fiction debut from Kendig, who is better known for writing contemporary military romance. The fantasy world is built with vivid detail you have to absorb (along with the characters!) on the run from danger. The action scenes are sensory explosions and the burgeoning "could-it-be-romance?" thread has so many obstacles to success already... whew! I am really excited to get my hands on the next book in this series! If you love quest-driven fantasy ...more
Jessica Higgins
Oct 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
An epic fantasy tale that has a difficult start, but is worth sticking with till the end.

Haegan and Kaelyria Celahar may be brother and sister but are vastly different from one another. As royal heirs to the Nine Kingdoms they have grown up under the eyes of the empire. Haegan, poisoned as a young boy, lays crippled in the top of a tower. His only company for the past decade has been his tutor and his sister. His father refuses to see him as his guilt for his sons position keeps him at bay. Kael
Marylin
Feb 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-reviewed
I’ve read many of Ronie Kendig’s other books and I have loved them. Yet, I was a bit hesitant to read a fantasy book by her because these two genres are so different. HOWEVER, I must say I was blown out of the water with this book. Ronie Kendig has really captured the realm of fantasy writing.
In this story, you will find sparks flying everywhere. You’ll see them between the relationship of Haegan and his father, the Fire King, to Haegan and his relationship with Theil, a girl who just might be t
Caryl
Jan 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019-challenge
Speculative fictions fans you will not want to miss Embers! Ronie's world building skills are amazing. This is an epic adventure of the highest level!
Shannon McNear
Oct 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Kendig’s skill in delivering a rockin’ good adventure, laced with a touch of romance, shines in this first installment of her fantasy debut. Her tagline is “Rapid-Fire Fiction” for good reason, and whether she’s writing military thrillers, speculative, or even “plain” romance, she knows how to deliver. If you’re a fan of epic fantasy—or dystopian, or YA—you NEED to read this one!
Ian
This is a typically high-octane fast-paced Kendig story. She throws us straight into the conflict and the pace never lets up. For her first speculative novel Kendig builds a wonderful stage in the alternative world she creates and then packs it with a diverse bunch of characters and interwoven relationships that add richness and depth to the plot.

I loved the two leads: Haegan and Thiel. Can I say that again? I loved these two. Their development as individuals over the course of the story is fasc
Ashley Nikole
Dec 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Though I've read 112 books this year, this is only the second fantasy I've read this year, and the only one belonging in the High Fantasy genre. So, that being said, I'm not familiar with the genre.

When I began Embers, I was so dang confused. I almost put the book down on several occasions, because I felt like a bajillion new terms and names that just don't exist on planet earth were being thrown at me, with NADA. ZILCH. ZERO glossary for terms or characters or anything. That, and I honestly wo
Angela (Books of a Shy Girl)
Sep 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
You can find more reviews on my blog: Books of a Shy Girl.

Embers by Ronie Kendig is a YA Christian fantasy book. The story, told in third person, follows Haegan in his journey to fight Poired Dyrth, the enemy of his kingdom. However, he has been a cripple for ten years and after a transference, highly prohibited and dangerous, he has regained the use of his arts, but with a high price. Now he has to fled his kingdom to escape his father’s wrath.

I both loved and hated this book at the same time.
Kim  Gregory
Nov 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I started this story several months ago and just let it go by the wayside, not getting into it. When I restarted it I wondered why I let it go!

Abiassa is the goddess that the Nine Kingdoms follow. These are the people, some of whom, are able to wield fire. Aelyria is the princess and she is the heir to the throne, as well as a very strong wielder. Haegen is her older brother, but he was stricken with paralysis when he was poisoned at a young age. Aelyria wants her brother healed and finds a way
Becki
Jul 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018-challenge
I really enjoy Kendig’s books and was excited to read this series. I was given a pdf version by the author and sat down to read but I just could not get into the story. I figured it was because I was reading book #3 first so I bought book #1 and started from the beginning. I have to admit that this book was a real challenge for me to read. I really liked the plot but the use of unpronounceable names was tough for me to read. Book #3 has a glossary of terms with pronunciations but book #1 did not ...more
Tom Robinson
Oct 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a most unusual book - true Christian fantasy, though I would say more clean than 'Christian'; but, nonetheless, I thoroughly enjoyed it after the first 100+ pages, where I struggled to understand the finer details of the states, rulers, names, opponents and more. After that, it progressed very well, and speedily. I'm not sure whether this is the only genre this author works in, but I've read enough to intrigue me - but would like to read more of a faith tie-in, rather than it be wrapped ...more
Sharon
Nov 23, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't read many books in the Fantasy genre but I really like this author; so, I wanted to read this one. It did to disappoint. i was enthralled from the very beginning. With a cliff-hanger ending I was glad I had book two of the series ready to continue on the journey through this intriguing world peopled with so many interesting characters on a great adventure.
Chelsa  Wiarda
Mar 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An exciting journey you'll never want to end!

Embers has everything you need in a book: Adventure, action, romance, fantasy. I couldn't put it down from the start and never want it to end.
Anna Haber
Jul 28, 2018 rated it liked it
At first I was a bit confused, but as I read on and Haegan's journey began to take shape, I was hooked. This was a beautiful story, albeit a whirlwind, and I'm curious where the rest of the series will go!
Ruth "CowgirlMama " Utz
Awesome Book

Usually I'm not a fantasy reader, but I always enjoy Ronie Kendig's books so I tried this one. Now? I NEED to read book two!!!
Sheri Yutzy
Jan 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
You'll love Haegan's journey into the fascinating, dangerous world of the Nine Kingdoms. Haegan discovers what he's willing to sacrifice to save his sister.
Katie
Oct 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Embers is action-packed and so fun! I appreciate Kendig's fearlessness in allowing the plot race in directions we do not expect.
Chelsea Johnson
He's coming for them. And the kingdom.

Their only hope is forbidden: Kaelyria must transfer her fire-harnessing abilities to Haegan. When she does, it comes with a terrible price: Haegan's disability is healed, but only by being transferred to Kaelyria. this dec
Lisa Godfrees
Nov 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
It's been a while since I've read any epic fantasy. And that's what this book is -- epic. A large cast of characters told from several different view points, and a host of cultures and customs to add flavor to this fantasy land.

What I liked:
The world building is amazing. There are so many details but the reader isn't overwhelmed with them. You can tell that the author has only scratched the surface with what she knows about this world. No backstory dumps. No excessive explanation.
The characters:
Natalie Walters
Nov 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
If there was ever a book to make you fall in love with fantasy and speculative fiction: This IS the book!!

Embers is an amazing literary journey through the fiery realm of Abiassa. A princess dares to take fate into her hands when she transfers her health and fire-harnessing powers to her crippled brother, the rightful heir, in the hopes he can be the one to battle their kingdom's greatest enemy. But Princess Kaelyria's sacrifice comes at a high price as the Fire King charges Prince Haegan with h
Katelyn Bolds
Sep 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: enclave
A fast paced epic fantasy that focuses on a world where fire-casting is a gift from the great Abissa. When a sister switches places with her handicapped brother, she gives him a second chance at life—and a chance to find he has more gifting than he knew.

While it is written by a Christian, there is nothing in it that would turn off a nonchristian reader. Very comparable in sharing the message in the way Lord of the Rings does. Content appropriate for 13 and up.
Gretchen
Nov 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Contender for My favorite Book of 2015

I'm already a huge fan of Ronie's military suspense novels. I had no idea what to expect from her fantasy novel. It was as exciting as her other books with great characters.
And really, I pretty much fell in love with Haegen from the beginning.
I can't wait to read the rest of the series.
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • The Heir War (The Kinsman Chronicles, #1b)
  • Of the Persecuted (Legends of the Woodlands, #1)
  • Shadowed Eden (Beguiled #1)
  • The Hive
  • Out of Darkness Rising
  • Heir of Hope (Follower of the Word, #3)
  • The Restorer's Journey (The Sword of Lyric #3)
  • Amish Vampires in Space (Peril in Plain Space #1)
  • Dare (The Blades of Acktar #1)
  • Merlin's Shadow (The Merlin Spiral #2)
  • A Time to Speak (Out of Time, #2)
  • By Divine Right (The Darkwater Saga, #0.5)
  • Mardan's Mark (Mardan's Mark, #1)
  • Fly Away Home
  • The First Principle (Emancipation Warriors, #1)
  • One Realm Beyond (Realm Walkers, #1)
  • Seeking Unseen (Toch Island Chronicles, #2)
Ronie Kendig is an award-winning, bestselling author who grew up an Army brat. She married her own hunky hero, who’s an Army veteran. After twenty-plus years of marriage, she and her husband have a full life with four children and a retired military working dog. Ronie’s degree in psychology has helped her pen novels of raw, broken characters.

Since launching onto the publishing scene, Ronie’s Rapi

Abiassa's Fire (3 books)
  • Accelerant (Abiassa's Fire, #2)
  • Fierian (Abiassa's Fire #3)
The embers of time spark and flash but they, like all else, smolder and extinguish. 0 likes
“No one hates war more than those who fight” 0 likes