Start by marking “The Romanov Bride” as Want to Read:
The Romanov Bride

The Romanov Bride

3.55  ·  Rating details ·  1,912 Ratings  ·  341 Reviews
As the Russia of Nicholas and Aleksandra rushes full speed toward catastrophe, The Romanov Bride follows the lives of two revolutionary souls, that of Grand Duchess Elisavyeta (or Ella), sister of the tsaritsa Aleksandra, and that of Pavel, a simple village man yearning for more.

The life of Grand Duchess Elisavyeta begins like a fairy tale - born a princess of Germany, she
Published April 17th 2008 by Viking

To ask other readers questions about The Romanov Bride, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Romanov Bride

Wendy
Nov 13, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: fiction
I invoked the Rule of 50, and therefore only read the first 53 pages. It was really all I could stomach. This man writes like a fourth-grader--he clearly has no understanding of the way people talk, or if he does, his idea of how people spoke at the turn of the century is just laughable. It's very stilted and contrived dialogue.

I can't tell if he had a good story on his hands or not, because I was too distracted by the awful dialogue and the unnecessary descriptions of people's clothing. It's re
Kristin Lee Williams
Jul 18, 2008 rated it it was amazing
What I love about Robert Alexander is the fantastic historical detail he includes in his novels. I love that he uses the diaries and letters of his characters so that he can use their actual words and language in his novels.

I also love that he presents such a tumultous time in history in such an even handed way. He doesn't portray the Tsar and other Royals as perfectly evil or perfectly innocent. Neither does he portray the revolutionary activists as perfectly innocent or perfectly evil. He rea
Danielle
May 14, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: fans of historical fiction, Russian history buffs
Shelves: historical-novel
This is the third book from Robert Alexander, and like the two previous books, it is set during the turmoil of the Russian Revolution. This book follows the paths of two victims of tragedy; Pavel, the worker turned revolutionary assassin, and Ella, sister to the Empress Alexandra and Romanov princess.

Alexander explores the two very different paths taken. For Pavel, the murder of his wife and unborn child leads him to revenge and hatred. At many times, he seems to be acting purely through the dir
Apr 11, 2009 rated it did not like it
If I hadn't been sitting in an airport with nothing to do, I wouldn't have bothered finishing this. It would be okay for someone who hasn't read tons and tons about European monarchy and the Russian revolution. It wasn't historically inaccurate, just intellectually scaled down for a precocious fifth grader.
Katie
Jan 16, 2013 rated it it was ok
As much as I loved The Kitchen Boy, I have to say I mostly endured The Romanov Bride. I have read many stories of the more famous Romanovs — Nicholas, Alexandra and their children — but had only heard of this older sister of the Empress as a passing mention in some of the other books. So I was intrigued by the chance to read a story focused on the lesser-known sister.

Perhaps if the book had focused solely on "Ella" (as the heading of her chapters dubbed her), it would have been a better story.
Robert Alexander
Mar 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Recommends it for: historical fiction and lovers of Russian history
I loved working on this book and I hope it shows. I'll be talking about it on my live webcasts:
Hope
Jul 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
What an AMAZING book!
I so enjoyed reading this and tried to devour it in one sitting but sleep claimed me before I finished. ;-)
After chores, a walk and breakfast I finished it, sobbing into the pillow held tightly to my chest as I read the last 2 chapters!
Poignant, touching, heartbreaking, yet gloriously uplifting.... so many emotions!
This is seriously an amazingly wonderful book! I look forward to reading the other books by this same author. :-)
Dulce
Sep 23, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Uma Familia que foi dizimada, um País em Revolução, mais uma lição de história desconhecida, e actual.
Ema
Mar 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: in-my-shelves
Mais uma vez fiquei rendida à história dos Romanov. Neste livro seguimos a história da irmã da czarina Alexandra, que foi uma pessoa bastante importante para o povo russo, através do seu ponto de vista. Não temos muito acesso a outros elementos da família, mas conseguimos ficar com uma noção de como a Revolução começou e de como foi ser um Romanov naquela época, perseguido e eventualmente fuzilado. É uma história ficcionada, mas o autor dá-nos bastantes factos históricos e deu voz às personagens ...more
Ladyslott
Book No: 7
The fall of the Romanov’s has provided endless fascination among both authors and readers for many years. In this book Robert Alexander takes a look at one of the lesser-known Romanov’s, Elizabeth, sister to the Czarina and wife of Grand Duke Serge of Russia. While the life of this princess is indeed interesting, the execution is not as interesting as I had hoped.

I had heard good things about this author so I was looking forward to this book, but I was very disappointed. First the titl
Leanna
May 20, 2008 rated it liked it
Robert Alexander returns again to the Romanovs in his most recent novel, The Romanov Bride. This time, he focuses on the Grand Duchess Elisabeth “Ella” Fyodorovna, the older sister of Tsarina Alexandra, and Pavel, a fictional revolutionary.

The book alternates chapters between Ella and Pavel’s perspectives. Ella reacts to the Russian Revolution and the assassination of her husband, the Governor General of Moscow, by retreating from her aristocratic roots and founding an abbey, hospital, and orpha
Carolina
Nov 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5, usa
Gostei muito de ler A Noiva Romanov, pois sempre me fascinou muito a história dos czares da Rússia, que é a época retratada neste livro.

A história é-nos contada pela mão de duas personagens: Isabel (Ella), a irmã da czarina Alexandra e cunhada do czar Nicky e Pavel, um simples camponês a quem foi tirado a mulher e o filho, ainda por nascer, por culpa do imperador Nicolau II (no episódio do "Domingo Sangrento" em 1905) e devido à sua miséria e vontade de mudança vai abraçar a revolução. Somos ass
Rebecca
May 26, 2009 rated it liked it
Recommended to Rebecca by: Louise
My perfect idea of a vacation is what I have experienced so far over the last three days: a beautiful beach, good food, and unlimited historical fiction. The Romanov Bride is not the best piece of literature I have ever read, but it was an absorbing easy beach read. I had never heard of The Grand Duchess Elisavyeta who was the sister of doomed Tsarina of Russia at the time of the Revolution and was married to the Tsar’s uncle, the Grand Duke Sergei Alexandrovich. Her story is so tragic yet gripp ...more
Maria Ana
Apr 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I've already read one of Robert Alexander books, the first he published.
I loved the fisrt one, but this one had a special touch.
His books tell us about the times of the Russian Revolution, which is a very interesting topic. It were times of mystery, war, richness and poverty, wonderfull princesses and the Tsars!
As the other book, "The Romanov Bride" also takes place during the proletarian revolution. The reader is able to observe the two diferent factions of this "war" through the Grand Duchess
Barbara
Jan 05, 2010 rated it really liked it
This is the story of the life of Princes Elisavyeta, Grand Duchess in the tsarist Russia. It was helpful that I had read "King Kaiser Tsar" prior to this book. What makes it so fascinating is the relationships that exist between all the characters. Ella (her "English" name is also the sister of the Tsarina Alexandra and both of them were graddaughters of Queen Victoria and hence first cousins of Kaiser Wilhelm!!!
Princess Ella lives through the great Russian Revolution that occured during World W
Jaret
Jan 25, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: audio-1000
This book was not as interesting as it could have been. I didn't mind that the story shifted viewpoints from the Grand Duchess to the poor revolutionist. The contrasting viewpoints were the most interesting part of the book. I think I'm in the minority here, but I preferred Pavel's storyline more. There was more action to his story, where Ella's storyline dragged a lot for me. She spent most of the story whining about her life with the Grand Duke, until she had her "epiphany". Then she became a ...more
Caroline
Apr 27, 2009 rated it it was ok
Historical novel based on the real-life Grand Duchess Elisabeth Romanov. She was the older sister of the Tsarina Alexandra and her husband, Sergei Alexandrovich, was the Tsar's cousin. After her husband's death, she became a nun. After the Bolshevik revolution, she, along with other members of the Romanov family, was killed in 1918.

The novel is told in alternating viewpoints--Elisabeth or "Ella"--and Pavel, a fictional revolutionary whose life becomes entwined with Elisabeth's.

The history of the
Jen
Jul 23, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: historical, russian
I really only read this novel by Alexander to get some more background on the Russian Revolution. Ultimately, he is a disappointing writer. He knows his Russian history, but knowledge does not necessarily make a good author. Elizaveth was an interesting person and had a fascinating life, but the story as told here is emotionally quite dull.
Diane
Feb 10, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio
Knowing little about the Russian Revolution, I found this fascinating. The attention to detail was exceptional, and the author note indicated he quoted actual records when possible. This was done seamlessly without interrupting the narrative. The historical speculation was wonderful. I also enjoyed the alternating points of view.
Agnieszka
Dec 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
Easy to read historical fiction... even if you don't know a lot about the historical period. History is well done, never boring or overwhelming. The characters seem a little clichéd, but again... easy read which draws you into story.
May 18, 2009 rated it it was ok
For a fascinating era, this historical fiction felt unimaginative and shallowly investigated. It made me want to research Russian history, but it didn't make me want to read anything else by this author.
Bridget
Apr 06, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2009
Booooooring! I would have been better off reading the Wikipedia article on Elisabeth Fyodorovna.
Liz Lawrence
Aug 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I love historical fiction as well as biographies. This book combines the two. I found both protagonists intriguing and easy to sympathize with. I really enjoyed this book.
May 22, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: slavic
Interesting, but sad, as most stories from this time period are. The narrative style was effective but sometimes a little annoying.
Cassy
Nov 26, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Angela
Oct 10, 2017 rated it liked it
I had trouble with these characters. They were not sympathetic at all and I never felt connected to them. I wanted Elizabeth to survive and her zeal to help others was encouraging towards the end but it was too little too late. Of course, that often happens when you are using historical people in real events. Pavel was nothing to me. His path of destruction made me not want to like him. And I completely missed how he felt any connection with her at the end. They were barely in the same story! Ex ...more
Kara Olsen
Jul 11, 2017 rated it it was ok
I was interested in the Russian history and the story of the fall of the empire and the disappearance and death of the Romanov family. This had some good information historically on the subject. The story sometimes caught my attention and other times it seemed to drag. I could never really get to the climax. I read 3/4 of the book and then lost interest, I had other books piling up. It just wasn't a book I was excited to pick up to see what happened next.
Helene
Jan 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This author has such a grasp of Russian culture and history that he was able to truly capture the beauty, struggles, emotions, and triumphs of Pavel, Elizabeth, and the rest of the Russian people. My degree is in history, and I focused on Russian history. Everything about this book was satisfying. I knew what was going to happen, but was able to see it all in a new light from two different points of view.
Samantha
Oct 08, 2017 rated it it was ok
Usually I love Alexander's books involving the Romanovs but this one was hard to get through. I was not a fan of either of the main characters...in fact they annoyed me very much. At least I got a little bit of insight into Russia's history around the time of the Russo-Japanese War and the Revolution of 1905.
Beth
Aug 07, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: stalled
I tried. I really tried. I've read numerous bios of St Ella and find her fascinating but this book made her out to be quite vapid and boring. And I really couldn't care much less about Pavel. Bleah. Life is too short to read boring books. I got to about page 200 and gave up.
  • The Tsarina's Daughter
  • Catherine the Great
  • Anna (The Kirov Saga, #1)
  • The Quest for Anastasia: Solving the Mystery of the Lost Romanovs
  • The Last Empress: The Life and Times of Alexandra Feodorovna, Tsarina of Russia
  • Romanov Autumn: Stories from the Last Century of Imperial Russia
  • The Jewel of St. Petersburg (The Russian Concubine, #0)
  • The Gates of November
  • The Last Romanov
  • The Queen's Pawn
  • The New Nobility: The Restoration of Russia's Security State and the Enduring Legacy of the KGB
  • The True Memoirs of Little K
  • Ice Road
  • Anastasia: The Lost Princess
  • The Lost Crown
  • The White Russian
  • In the Shadow of Lady Jane
  • Is Journalism Worth Dying For?: Final Dispatches
Robert Alexander is the author of the bestselling novels Rasputin's Daughter, The Kitchen Boy, and the forthcoming The Romanov Bride. He has spent over thirty years traveling to Russia, where he has studied and also worked for the U.S. government. He speaks frequently to book clubs, and the schedule for his live video webcasts can be found at his website: http://www.robertalexanderbooks.com
More about Robert Alexander...

Fiction Deals

• The Lace Makers of Glenmara
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Speak Easy, Speak Love
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Quaker Café (Quaker Café #1)
  • On Turpentine Lane
    $14.99 $2.99
  • The Whiskey Rebels
    $12.99 $1.99
  • The Honest Spy
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Gone Crazy in Alabama (Ala Notable Children's Books. Middle Readers)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • We Are All Made of Stars
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Angry Housewives Eating Bon Bons
  • Mercer Girls
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole, Aged 13 3/4 (The Adrian Mole Series)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • While the World Is Still Asleep (The Century Trilogy Book 1)
    $5.49 $1.99