Start by marking “An American in Scotland (MacIain, #3)” as Want to Read:
An American in Scotland (MacIain, #3)

An American in Scotland

(MacIain #3)

New York Times bestselling author Karen Ranney returns with the third heart-stirring novel in her latest series, a tale of deceit, desperate measures, and delirious desire

Mass Market Paperback, 345 pages
Published February 23rd 2016 by Avon

To ask other readers questions about An American in Scotland, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about An American in Scotland

Caz
Sep 08, 2015 rated it liked it
I've given this a C at AAR.

I enjoyed the previous two books in Karen Ranney’s McIain series, so was looking forward to An American in Scotland, which features Duncan MacIain, the steady and dependable owner of the MacIain family’s textile business, and who has appeared as a secondary character in the earlier novels. In the first book, In Your Wildest Scottish Dreams Duncan’s mill was struggling because of the difficulty of obtaining sufficient quantities of cotton from America owing to the Civ
Ezinwanyi
3.5 stars.

Rose O'Sullivan travelled from South Carolina to Scotland to broker a deal with her brother-in-law's cousin, Duncan MacIain, for the cotton produced at Glasglen plantation .
Rose's sister Claire was married to the master of the plantation, Bruce MacIain, who was off fighting for the confederacy. Meanwhile the people if the plantation were suffering and starving. Unable to get fair prices for their cotton, Rose decided to ask the last person to make a reasonable bid for the cotton.

Upon a
Nadine Jones
They were, perhaps, all fools to be on the Raven, but he was the biggest fool of all.

EVERYONE is a fool.

Four words: Too Many Twee Details.

Other words:
Disappointing.
Too much telling rather than showing.
Every one is too ridiculously nice and lovely. When one woman is described as "a character from a novel," I'm afraid I laughed, because EVERY person in this book is unrealistic and somewhat archetypal.

And by the numbers:
Number of times Bruce punishing Rose is described: 7
Number of times Duncan m
Jultri
Somewhat entertaining but not very memorable offering from Ranney. American abolitionist heroine travels to Scotland, pretending to be a widow in order to sell cotton to the Scottish hero, a distant relative of her sister's cruel Southern slave-owner husband. She manages to persuade our Scot to run the blockade. He finds out she's not a widow and very much a had-been virgin after their inevitable joining. They confront the evil brother-in-law. I got frustrated with her stupidity in putting herse ...more
Mariana
Apr 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: civil-war, highlander
4.5⭐

This is the second civil war era HR I have read and the first book by this author. I really enjoyed it, despite (maybe partly because of) all of the pain in the story as well as the unthinkable cruel behaviors of the villain. It is so difficult to imagine and yet historically accurate. This is a book that made me consider again some of the horrors in history and wonder about what may still happen in the world today.

I really liked the hero. He is a man of character, the antithesis to his dis
Susan
May 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Good book, though a little slow at the start. Rose arrives in Glasgow at the end of her rope and the end of her resources. The Civil War has hit her family hard back in South Carolina, and she has come to see if the Scottish branch of the family will brave the blockade and purchase the last of their cotton. She's taken some liberties with the truth in order to ensure that she'll be listened to.

Duncan is a mill owner who is struggling to keep his business going. The war in America has made it dif
The Book Junkie Reads . . .
This romance takes place on more than one continent. The civil unrest in America begins this journey for Rose. She has to under go some minor deceptions to help the one person in the world she loves. She just never imagined that it would lead to her true hearts desire, Duncan MacIain.

Duncan was a man that valued family and work. He had a large responsibility to carry with family and his business. He just did not expect for it to encompass the widow of his cousin in just this way. Once he learns
Angela
Apr 22, 2016 rated it liked it
The story in general has a lot of potential, and could be really good if not for the pace. There's a lot of back story, and inner monologue, and unnecessary description that's both repetitive and boring. Cut all that out and get to the meat of the tale and you'd have a pretty darned good book.
Wendy
Feb 22, 2016 rated it liked it
This was my first experience of a Karen Ranney novel and to begin with I was pleasantly surprised, especially with the high standard of the writing. An American in Scotland is the third in Ms. Ranney’s MacIain series and although I have not read either of the first two (In Your Wildest Scottish Dreams and Scotsman of My Dreams), I had no trouble sorting out the characters, the various familial connections or keeping track of the story line.

Rose Sullivan arrives in Glasgow at the home of Duncan M
Tash
Sep 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Reviewed @ Confessions From Romaholics
Review copy kindly provided by the publisher in exchange for a honest review

An American in Scotland is the third book in the MacIain series and this time the focus is on the American branch of the family in a round about way featuring the sister in law of one of the American MacIains, Rose . Rose is on a desperate mission trying to worm her way in to the Scottish side of the family to make a trade to help her family despite her problems. She may be from the
Barbara Rogers
Feb 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
I have to say that I waited a while before I read this book because I knew that it dealt with slavery and the Civil War. I'm not against reading about either of those things, but I was afraid that either the hero or heroine (or both) would end up in one of those awful prison camps or something. I definitely didn't want to read that part. Luckily, that didn't happen and Karen Ranney handled it pretty well, but you could tell she wouldn't be writing about any redeeming qualities of any southerner. ...more
April
#3 in "The Maciain" series, but can be read as a stand alone. This is Rose and Duncan' story, and a story that crosses an Ocean, from Scotland to the Americas during the Civil War. Filled with desperation, risk, deceit, danger, passion, slavery, mystery, a bit of suspense, sea adventure, and the premise of love. A bit slow in the beginning but picks up nicely.
More Historical Fiction than Historical Romance. Ms. Raney has done lots of research into Civil War issues, and the consequences of war,
Kimia Safavi
Jun 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is another great book by Karen Ranney. This is the link to my review in Fresh Fiction:
Pam
Jul 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is the third in a series about the MacIain’s of Scotland. I love this setting, the highlands of Scotland and enjoy reading about these men and women who are passionate about life. Ms. Ranney writes a compelling novel of romance amidst the despair and dangers of the times. I will have to say that this one took me by surprise, not only do we spend time in Scotland, but also in Nassau and South Carolina during the Civil War, a setting I have not read in several years.

Rose has traveled a long w
Rose Blue
Mar 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
4.5 Stars As reviewed at Roses Are Blue: http://wp.me/p3QRh4-l9

Rose O’Sullivan has somehow managed to scrape together enough funds to allow her to travel to Scotland, in the hopes of convincing Duncan MacIain to purchase a warehouse full of cotton for his mill. The cotton was grown on her brother-in-law’s land in South Carolina, and has no value unless it’s sold. Rose, her sister, Claire, and the rest of the household are near to starving, while Bruce (Claire’s husband) has gone off to fight in
Belinda
Feb 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
I was so glad to get a hold of this fantastic story of the MacIain's which is book #3 in the series. It can be read as a stand alone though. The characters are developed with thoughts and feelings of their own. I really liked Rose MacIain who pretended to be the widow in the direst of circumstances. She meets Duncan MacIain who is the cousin of her late husband. Rose and Duncan have an immediate attraction that leads to a very dangerous situation. You can feel the simmering passion that has Rose ...more
Jaye
Feb 28, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: romance
I liked the premise, but I couldn't feel the connection between the characters. Also, I found it a little boring. I don't know if this had to due with the author's writing style or the plot. It was disappointing to say the least.
Cat
May 13, 2016 rated it did not like it
Light, escapist romance fiction, should probably steer clear of the deeply problematic and traumatic impacts of slavery, especially if it is just used to drive a white heroine's romantic aspirations forward.
Meghan Jennings
Nov 02, 2017 rated it liked it
This book had a descriptive and quaint storyline but that actually had some substance. Was a bit uneventful for my taste and I didn't necessarily connect personally with the characters. Interestingly political and reminiscent of our current day politics. A bit typical but was nice to listen to on YouTube.
Melissa
Dec 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was actually really lovely. I wasn't expecting to enjoy the blending of genres (civil war, which I usually don't like, and highland, which I do) but the characters and their emotional journey made this a wonderful read.
Christina
Jul 09, 2019 rated it liked it
A cringe worthy cover design and a cliche title but the contact is decent. The cover art definitely does it represent the contents of the book. It’s almost more a historical fiction novel with a romance as one of the main plots.
Karen Gregory
Jan 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Slow to start but better than I thought it would be.
Mar 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
The first one in the series was my favorite, but this was a solid third book.
Mel Harris
Jun 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
quite good for the genre of cheesy romance :) Check it out!
Pamela
Mar 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Rated 3.5.
Les Romantiques
Feb 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Posted on Les Romantiques - Le forum du site
Reviewed by Fabiola
Review Copy from the Publisher

An American in Scotland is the third volume in the MacIain series by Karen Ranney. The series consists of In your wildest Scottish dreams and Scotsman of my dreams. I haven’t read the first too volumes, but An American in Scotland can easily be read alone.

For now, two of Karen Ranney’s novels have been translated into French, but I never read them. An American in Scotland is my first by the author. I rea
Sandy S
Feb 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
ABOUT THE BOOK: Release Date February 23, 2016

Rose MacIain is a beautiful woman with a secret. Desperate and at her wits' end, she crafts a fake identity for herself, one that Duncan MacIain will be unable to resist. But she doesn't realize that posing as the widow of the handsome Scotsman's cousin is more dangerous than she knew. And when a simmering attraction rises up between them, she begins to regret the whole charade.

Duncan is determined to resist the tempting Rose, no matter how much he a
Emily
Feb 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Originally posted on Polished Bookworm

In An American in Scotland, celebrated author Karen Ranney crafts a quiet romance set against the horrors of the American Civil War and Scotland’s intertwined history.

Scots mill owner Duncan MacIain and Rose O’Sullivan (known as Rose MacIain to Duncan and his Scottish relations) enter into an agreement for Duncan to purchase the last of Rose’s South Carolina grown cotton. Duncan had previously expressed an interest in purchasing the harvest, so Rose uses t
Bambi Unbridled
This is the third book in the MacIain series, which focuses on descendants of Highlanders in the latter half of the 19th Century. Once the MacIains fled Scotland after the Rising, the three brothers scattered to England, America and Glasgow. While Scotsman of My Dreams featured the English branch of the family, An American in Scotland focuses on the Glasgow and American branches. While there is some character crossover in each book, you won't be lost if you haven't read the earlier books.

Duncan
Becky
Dec 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
It's official--Duncan MacIain is my new Scottish book boyfriend--such a fantastic hero! I didn't even realize that I needed one until I read his book, but there you have it :)

I really enjoyed An American in Scotland, book three in the MacIain series--though it probably should have read An American in Scotland...and in the Bahamas... then back in the Confederate States of America, and then Scotland again, to be technical about it. Whereas we saw the hero of book two (Dalton of Scotsman of My Dre
« previous 1 3 next »
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Aug 13, 2015 07:58AM

• The Groom Wore Plaid (Highland Weddings, #2)
  • My Fair Duchess (Dukes Behaving Badly, #5)
  • What a Lady Needs (The Redgraves, #2)
  • The Match of the Century (Marrying the Duke, #1)
  • Governess Gone Rogue (Dear Lady Truelove, #3)
  • The Earl's Complete Surrender (Secrets at Thorncliff Manor, #2)
  • The Rogue (Devil's Duke, #1; Falcon Club, #4)
  • Millennium Snow (2-in-1), Vol. 1: Includes Vols. 1  2
  • My One True Highlander (No Ordinary Hero, #2)
  • Scarlet Devices (Steam and Seduction, #2)
  • Six Degrees of Scandal (Scandalous, #4)
  • Dare to Love a Duke (The London Underground, #3)
  • Duchess by Design (The Gilded Age Girls Club, #1)
  • Ten Kisses to Scandal (Misadventures in Matchmaking, #2)
  • Miss Lavigne's Little White Lie (Beau Monde, #3)
  • Fruits Basket Collector's Edition, Vol. 4
  • Bleach (3-in-1 Edition), Vol. 2: Includes vols. 4, 5 & 6
  • My Highland Bride (Highland Hearts, #2)
I’m a writer who’s been privileged to have attained the New York Times and USA Today Bestseller Lists.

Although I've primarily written historical romance, I've also written contemporary romantic suspense, a murder mystery, and I'm having a wonderful time writing about a vampire who is being challenged by her new state of being. (The Montgomery Chronicles: The Fertile Vampire and The Reluctant Godd

MacIain (3 books)
  • In Your Wildest Scottish Dreams (MacIain, #1)
  • Scotsman of My Dreams (MacIain, #2)