Start by marking “Lost Stars (Journey to Star Wars: The Force Awakens)” as Want to Read:
Lost Stars (Journey to Star Wars: The Force Awakens)

Lost Stars

(Journey to Star Wars: The Force Awakens)

4.25  ·  Rating details ·  15,990 ratings  ·  2,250 reviews
This thrilling Young Adult novel gives readers a macro view of some of the most important events in the Star Wars universe, from the rise of the Rebellion to the fall of the Empire. Readers will experience these major moments through the eyes of two childhood friends--Ciena Ree and Thane Kyrell--who have grown up to become an Imperial officer and a Rebel pilot. Now on oppo ...more
Published September 4th 2015 by Disney Lucasfilm Press

To ask other readers questions about Lost Stars, please sign up.
Nathan Schubert I felt the same. I have only read a mere dozen of the Star Wars books, but this one absolutely blew me away with it's scope and depth, action, and…moreI felt the same. I have only read a mere dozen of the Star Wars books, but this one absolutely blew me away with it's scope and depth, action, and love, all rolled into one amazing package, (with the hints of movie #7 a nice bow on top.)

I will definitely need to put Dark Disciple near the top of my Star Wars list if it is even half as good as this book.

P.S. I hope Thane and Ciena get at least some small mention in the 7th, (or 8th,9th) movie.(less)
Andy Reynolds One of the characters refers to a plan as being "dumb-ass" at one point, which is the only swearing I remember.

The sex is being slightly overstated.…more

The sex is being slightly overstated. There are two instances, but everything beyond brief mentions of kissing happens off-page, and the references made to it after the fact are mostly about the emotional impact.

If those three things give you pause, you may want to consider the other Journey to Star Wars books: Moving Target, The Weapon of a Jedi, and Smuggler's Run, which are written specifically for the 10-14 range.(less)

·  15,990 ratings  ·  2,250 reviews

Khurram
Jan 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book. Very rarely do you get book that manages to tick every box. This is a love story, but this is not a fluffy story, both the characters are likeable, intelligent and principled. In fact all the characters are written very well, to the point that as a reader I was invested in each character, even the side characters. The book has great character development, and the story is set across the whole original trilogy and finishes a year after Return of the Jedi.

Usually in stories l
Ana O
Dec 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, mythology
*Uses a Jedi mind-trick*

You will buy this book.

You will read this book.

And you will love this book.

Convinced yet?

*is forcibly removed from the room*

Ok, my Jedi skills are a bit rusty. Moving on. I think you should give the Lost Stars a shot. It's a perfect mix of sci-fi, romance and heroic fantasy. And it's Star Wars.

“Look through my eyes...”

tumblr_omckl0o_Rs_O1r9xerro5_500

P.S. 2Pac returning as a Force ghost is my new aesthetic.

jy_Le_Vv_W
Mogsy (MMOGC)
4.5 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum http://bibliosanctum.com/2015/11/09/r...

And to think, I almost gave this one a pass when I was compiling a list of books I wanted to read from the new Star Wars canon. What a mistake that would have been. Yes, this is categorized as Young Adult, but to be sure, this is not the kind of Star Wars YA from the old EU when the stories tended to lean more towards middle-grade audiences and few children’s series stood out strongly enough to make an impression. Lost S
GrilledCheeseSamurai (Scott)
(I'd give this a 4.5 if I could).

Wow. This one kind of came out of nowhere! I was so disappointed and let down with Aftermath that I didn't really think I had it in me to try another new Star Wars books so soon.

Am I ever glad I did.

What can I say? I loved everything about this book!

The story has two points of view. We follow, and skip between, Thane Kyrell and Ciena Ree. Both of who, by the end of the book, I adore just as much as any of the classic cast from the movies.

The timeline covers eve
David - proud Gleeman in Branwen's adventuring party
This IS the Star Wars book you're looking for!

I had so much fun buddy reading this with Sophie! Chatting with her about Star Wars history and our theories about what would happen in the book really made this a wonderful reading adventure!

This was my favorite Star Wars book of all time. And I'm saying this as a old curmudgeon who read a lot of the old Star Wars Expanded Universe books and was furious when Disney announced that those books were no longer considered canon. (Seriously, I shook my fi
Sean Barrs the Bookdragon
The Imperial training academy is an attractive place for naïve youngsters. For those that have never left their home-worlds, the magnificent space craft and disciplined soldiers look like a thing of wonder. They do not understand the harsh blood price the brutal Empire exacts; thus, Thane and Ciena are enamoured by the dreams of glory Tarkin gives them. They see the Empire as a machine, a mechanism of control, order and stability. And they want in.

“He and the girl ran inside, where everything w
Terence
Nov 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Many of the major events of the original Star Wars trilogy are experienced through two childhood friends, Ciena Ree and Thane Kyrell. Ciena and Thane are life long friends who find themselves on opposite sides of war.

Lost Stars covers the lives of Ciena and Thane who happen to have been born the same time as the Empire. Their story starts at age 8 and continues on until after the end of Return of the Jedi. The story was good, but I was expecting more.

The biggest surprise I experienced in this st
On a cold, remote, seemingly backward planet with two distinct, isolationist cultures, a boy and a girl, he a settler and her a native, dream of being TIE pilots for the mighty Galactic Empire. Thane Kyrell and Ciena Ree won’t let anything get in the way of their shared dream. But while they are strong together in the face of disapproval from their families and snobbery at their imperial piloting academy, they break apart when confronted with proof of the Empire’s evil. Thane, the firebrand, can ...more
Bradley
Dec 17, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: space-opera, sci-fi
This novel went down very smooth, with two well-drawn characters destined to be best friends, lovers, and eventually bitter enemies. What could make it better? Being in the Star Wars universe with cameo appearances of both iconic characters and situations.

But, you ask, "But wouldn't that take away from the impact of a well-drawn adventure following these two children well into adulthood?" And I reply, "No, not really, unless you're a die-hard snob who believes that an entirely new worldbuilding
❂ Sam ❂
Mar 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In a lot of ways, Lost Stars is perhaps the perfect Star Wars book. If nothing else it's easily my favorite book in the new Star Wars canon and perhaps my favorite Star Wars book in general. As someone who grew up on the old extended universe, that's saying a lot. But I mean every word of what I've said. Lost Stars is everything I ever wanted from a Star Wars book.

The author does a fantastic job of inventing her own story while fitting it seamlessly into the Star Wars narrative. She creates two
Alex
Oct 13, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, star-wars
I was a little disgusted with this book.

No, actually, I was very disgusted with this book.

If I was presented with an action-adventure novel wherein the main character was an apologist for Hioroshima and Nagasaki and throughout that novel kept saying things like "well, the US were only trying to prevent further death and stop the war from escalating" I would probably take that book and rip out every single page individually before setting it on fire.

Herein one of our two main characters is a Deat
Justine
Jun 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-read, audiobook
This is the third of the canon books I have read, the other two being Rebel Rising and Leia: Princess of Alderaan (also by Claudia Gray), and I enjoyed it just as much as those previous two books. In Lost Stars I loved the overlap touching on events in A New Hope, The Empire Strikes Back, and Return of the Jedi, and also the setup event the remnants of which make an appearance in The Force Awakens. I liked the story a lot: childhood friends Ciena Ree and Thane Kyrell train and enter Imperial ser ...more
Kyra (Book Allure)
STAR WARS + ROMEO AND JULIET + CLAUDIA GRAY = EPIC

WHY DIDN'T I KNOW OF THIS BOOK SOONER??!??!!???!!!!!

EDIT 12/26/2015

THIS BOOK IS AMAZING! I love how there are some snippets into The Force Awakens. This book is so smart and brilliantly written. I also highly recommend the audiobook. It features the iconic Star Wars scores and it was an amazing production. I am blown away.

Ashley
So, this book basically came out of nowhere, right?

I only heard about it a couple of months ago thanks to some GR friends, all of whom were also completely surprised by how good this book was. (Granted, I think a lot of them don't regularly read YA and might be unaware of some of the wonderful authors currently working in the genre.) But still. Even with all of those reviews, the book still managed to surprise me. Because what's so surprising about it isn't that it's good, but HOW it's good.

The
Jessica (BookObsessedJess)
WHAT! WHERE IS MY ENDING?! WHERE IS MY NEXT BOOK?! I only have MORE questions now. I loved absolutely every second of this. Literal and actual star crossed lovers. I don’t wanna give anything away, but this one is definitely worth the read to find out if Cienna and Thane will find a way to work it out.

Lost Stars is filled with side characters we have never met before, alongside and participating actively in the events from the destruction of the Death Star, to the battle of Endor, and to the fo
Rob
Executive Summary: Young Adult Romance is not my thing, and I probably would have enjoyed this one more if that wasn't the main plotline.

Audiobook: Like all Star Wars audiobooks, you get music and sound effects. That kind of thing annoys me in general, but seems to work well for Star Wars books. Pierce Cravens isn't nearly as good as Marc Thompson, but he's decent. His normal reading voice seems more appropriate for this book anyways.

Full Review
I was reluctant to pick this one up knowing it wa
Stephanie
Sep 06, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-wars, ya-mg
Oh wait there was a romance in this?

I was distracted by the horrifying Life and Times of Nash Windrider
Neil R. Coulter
Oct 31, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-wars, fiction

I gave one star to Divergent and Hunger Games, and I consider the film Titanic as 194 minutes of my life wasted. In short: I am not the target audience for Claudia Gray's Lost Stars. I am, however, a big Star Wars fan, and have been since almost the beginning (I was 2 in 1977; I caught up as soon as I could, and I have no memories of life before Star Wars). I really want the fictional world of Star Wars to be as good as it can be, and I'm disappointed by books, movies, or other media that don't

Chris (The Genre Fiend)
Review originally posted here at Geek of Oz.

Other 'Journey to Star Wars: The Force Awakens reviews':
Star Wars: Aftermath

---

The acronym 'YA' (Young Adult) carries a bit of a stigma in some literary circles. As the median between kids' and 'adult books, YA can be seen as softer, less interesting and only appealing to a niche demographic of teens and early 20s. That is, it can be seen as such if you're not willing to ignore such rigid styles of classification and enjoy a book entirely on its own me
Joe
Oct 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was very hesitant to pick this one up. I literally just got done reading "Aftermath" and got burned by that books crappiness in a big way. Plus, this book is "YA" and I usually avoid those because I'm not Y (or necessarily an A but I digress). Also, I looked up Claudia Gray's other books and they look like YA romance books that are the one genre that I consistently avoid.

Well, I'm glad I forced those issues out of my mind and picked up the book. (See what I did there? Man, I'm clever!) "Lost S
RJ
Aug 20, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Weaving its way through events of the original Star Wars movie trilogy, Lost Stars has some surprising insights regarding the inner workings of the Rebellion and the Empire from the point of view of the "little people" (and I don't mean Ewoks). It's a little too YA to be taken completely seriously, especially the first third of the story which focuses on our young protagonists and can be summed up as: "OMG!! They like each other!!" The ending is also unsatisfying, likely a setup for a possible s ...more
 ♥ Rebecca ♥
Oh.my.gosh. This book was.so.tedious.

And somehow still infuriating.

Ciena's cultural beliefs were so stupid! Sooo, you think so highly of yourself that you are willing to sacrifice thousands of lives just to avoid breaking a promise you don't even believe in because you think it will make you look bad? Just kill me.

And this was pretty much the basis of the whole book, Thane and Ciena not being able to be together because of their different values. I honestly don't know if that kind of love is ev
Raoofa Ibrahim
actual rating:4.5
This book is a must for every Star Wars fan!
you need to watch episode 4,5,6 to read this book.

We have 2 characters who lives in Jelucan :
Thane
and Ciena
description
their dream is to be an Imperial officers.
They'll work hard to make their dream come true, practicing together as a pilot and copilot. then will come the tests to know which academy they'll be accepted in.

*at an imperial party

After being accepted in the academy and become a real lieutenant, things begin to change, no simulators
Maria Dimitrova
Sep 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Lost Stars blew my mind! It's great. The story, the characters all were perfect. I got hooked from the beginning. This just proves that you can come up with a whole new set of characters and still get the hardcore fan love them as much as the ones from the movies. Startegic cameos from the later remind you that the novel is part of a larger universe. The way the characters react to the events from the old trilogy birngs a new dept to the familiar story but the most important to me was the fact t ...more
Shadowdenizen
Nov 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-wars
Wow. This title ranks up there with the Darth Bane: Star Wars 3-Book Bundle: Path of Destruction, Rule of Two, Dynasty of Evil trilogy as some of the best Star Wars fiction I've read. (I'll even go a step further, and say that this is not just a good "Star Wars" novel, this is a great novel overall.)

Though I wasn't familiar with her before, having read this makes me more interested in her other works (which is amongs the highest praise I can give an author.)

Claudia Gray knows her way around the
☣Lynn☣
1 million stars!

I finished this hours ago and I'm still blown away how fucking amazing this book was. It was everything I wanted in a SW novel and more. I loved how it expanded through the original trilogy and a bit before Force Awakens.

I will admit I was a bit scared to read this since I'm not a fan of the author's pnr books. But man can she write scifi! I'm looking forward to the next SW book she's coming out with in a few months. Hopefully it's just as perfect as this one was. :)

A MUST REA
Victoria (victoriashaz)
Really great! Gray did an amazing job with the atmosphere and pacing. One of the better Star Wars books I've read.
Milo (BOK)
The Review Can Also Be Found Here: https://thefictionalhangoutsite.wordp...

I’ve been looking to find this book for ages and was finally able to get ahold of a copy whilst I was in the Forbidden Planet Store in London, I knew It would take me long to start reading and I quickly devoured through its pages on the journey home, and was really blown away by what may be the best Star Wars novel from the new Expanded Universe so far.

The book itself adopts a very Romeo and Juliet feel to Star Wars as it
E.K. Johnston
Sep 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was, simply put, astounding. I was so, so, so excited for THE VERY FIRST Star Wars YA book, and I could not be more impressed by the book Claudia Gray wrote.

There were amazing parts of this book that took place far away from the well known plot-lines of the OT, and there were some that took place breathtakingly, heartbreakingly close. I can't even pick which I like more; I'm so glad we got to see both, and everything in between. That flash of recognition when a familiar character walks
Brierly
Lost Stars is a new adult novel set in the Star Wars universe. By setting this novel in a well-established canon, Gray doesn't need much exposition. Because of this, Lost Stars features events from the original Star Wars trilogy as well as events leading up to Episode VII. Characters like Tarkin and Darth Vader appear, because both main characters are in training to be Imperial officers.

It's a star-crossed love story, so barriers separate Thane and Ciena throughout the narrative. First, they are
2019 SQHS Your Li...: lost stars 7 4 Jun 10, 2019 11:20AM
Sci-fi and Heroic...: Lost Stars by Claudia Gray 12 32 Aug 21, 2018 01:01PM
Understanding?? 6 72 Apr 24, 2018 07:27AM
HMSA Summer Reading: Book Review: Lost Stars 1 2 Oct 31, 2017 09:24AM
Star Wars Book Club: October's Book 1 12 Oct 26, 2016 10:32AM

• Smuggler's Run: A Han Solo & Chewbacca Adventure
  • Moving Target: A Princess Leia Adventure
  • The Weapon of a Jedi: A Luke Skywalker Adventure
  • Rebel Rising (Star Wars)
  • Twilight Company (Star Wars: Battlefront, #1)
  • A New Dawn (Star Wars)
  • Life Debt (Star Wars: Aftermath, #2)
  • The Perfect Weapon
  • Lords of the Sith (Star Wars)
  • Dark Disciple (Star Wars)
  • Star Wars, Vol. 2: Showdown on the Smuggler's Moon
  • Heir to the Jedi (Star Wars: Empire and Rebellion, #3)
  • A New Hope - The Princess, the Scoundrel, and the Farm Boy (Star Wars)
  • From a Certain Point of View (Star Wars)
  • Most Wanted (Star Wars)
Claudia Gray is not my real name. I didn't choose a pseudonym because my real name is unpleasant (it isn't), because I'd always dreamed of calling myself this (I haven't) or even because I'm hiding from the remnants of that international diamond-smuggling cartel I smashed in 2003 (Interpol has taken care of them). In short, I took a pseudonym for no real reason whatsoever. Sometimes this is actual ...more

Journey to Star Wars: The Force Awakens (1 - 10 of 21 books)
  • Aftermath (Star Wars: Aftermath, #1)
  • The Perfect Weapon
  • Star Wars: C-3PO - The Phantom Limb
  • High Noon on Jakku
  • All Creatures Great and Small
  • The Face of Evil
“Believing in something greater than ourselves isn’t crazy. It’s proof we’re sane. Look how vast the galaxy is. Don’t you have to admit we can’t be the greatest power within it?” 25 likes
“Sometimes we're loyal to more than one thing. When there's a conflict, we have to choose which loyalty to honor.” 14 likes