Jump to ratings and reviews

Chief Customer Officer 2.0: How to Build Your Customer-Driven Growth Engine

A Customer Experience Roadmap to Transform Your Business and Culture

Chief Customer Officer 2.0 will give you a proven framework that has launched and advanced the customer experience transformation in businesses in every vertical around the world.

And it will take years off your learning curve.

Written by Jeanne Bliss, worldwide authority on customer experience, and preeminent thought leader on the role of the Customer Leadership Executive (such as Chief Customer Officer, Vice President of Customer Experience, etc.) this book follows the five-competency model she uses to coach the C-Suite and Chief Customer Officers.

1. Manage and Honor Customers as Assets

2. Align Around Experience

3. Build a Customer Listening Path

4. Proactive Experience Reliability and Innovation

5. One Company Accountability, Leadership & Decision Making

Chief Customer Officer 2.0 will get you into action quickly with a united leadership team, and will shift your business intent to earning the right to growth by improving customers’ lives. Jeanne Bliss fearlessly shares her tools and leadership ‘recipe cards’ for leading and enabling your business transformation. And she provides practical guidance on how embed the five competencies into how your company develops products, goes to market, enables and rewards people, and conducts annual planning.

Including over forty accounts of actions by Customer Leadership Executives around the world, this is the book you have been waiting for that tells it like it is and gives you the framework to build your customer-driven growth engine.

Jeanne Bliss pioneered the Customer Leadership Executive position, holding the role for twenty years at Lands’ End, Allstate, Coldwell Banker, Mazda and Microsoft Corporations. Since 2002 she has led CustomerBliss, a preeminent customer experience transformation company where she helps companies achieve customer-driven growth. She is a worldwide keynote speaker, and sought frequently by major media for her point of view.  Jeanne is the co-founder of the Customer Experience Professionals Association, established to advance the worldwide discipline of customer experience and customer experience practitioners.  She is also the best-selling author of Chief Customer Officer: Getting Past Lip Service to Passionate Action (2006), and I Love You More than My Dog: Five Decisions to Drive Extreme Customer Loyalty in Good Times and Bad (2011).

288 pages, Kindle Edition

8 books7 followers

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
21 (9%)
1 star
12 (5%)
Displaying 1 - 23 of 23 reviews
Profile Image for Olivia Law.
343 reviews13 followers
Read
April 22, 2021
Good but repetitive. Interesting content and ways to work.
Profile Image for Alice Tsukamoto.
64 reviews2 followers
June 30, 2020
Jeanne Bliss's book is really complete and detailed about the Customer Experience challenges, and all the CCO's stories helped to make the concept more clear.

I wish I could be in a better mood to taste this properly, but I'm sure this will be one of the books that I'll always turn back to read again.
Profile Image for Vasco.
451 reviews20 followers
July 23, 2018
The bad: what a long book. Maybe I'm missing something here, but I did not find 50% of the information useful. I found it generalizations, abstract actions and reiterations of the same thing over and over. I get that the book is strategic. It's executive-level. It's abstract. But this goes way too far, degenerating in generic lessons that I feel anyone could have written. Overall the book reads slow and is not interesting at all.

The good: there are some nuggets throughout the book. Some specific examples written by specific people or some real case studies. But these are few and far between.
Profile Image for Andrew.
502 reviews14 followers
November 16, 2018
Meh. I should start by saying that I generally am not a fan of many business books. They tend to be basic common sense 98% of the time. This book is primarily written for individuals who are Chief Customer Officers at companies rather than for the companies in general. The author is a big believer in tell them what you're going to say, say it, say it again, and then tell them what you told them. In other words this book could have been reduced in size by 75%. There were some decent, practical ideas for getting a company to truly focus on the customer - but overall it was a real slog to get through this book.
Profile Image for Alex.
48 reviews
August 17, 2021
Should have been a blog post, not a book.

You could fit all the valuable content from this book onto a single sheet of toilet paper - written in poo, with your fingertip.

Unfortunately, the author pads this out with piles of impenetrable corporate buzzwordery, and then repeats the same half dozen phrases over and over and over for what feels like several thousand pages. What value exists is good advice, don't get me wrong. But there isn't nearly enough of it to justify an entire book.

This reminds me of that scene in The Shining, where the guy's wife discovers that he's been typing the same sentence over and over for reams and reams of paper. That's what this book is like.

"All jargon and no actual content makes Jeanne a repetitive writer. All jargon and no actual content makes Jeanne a repetitive writer. All jargon and no actual content makes Jeanne a repetitive writer. All jargon and no actual content makes Jeanne a repetitive writer. All jargon and no actual content makes Jeanne a repetitive writer. All jargon and no actual content makes Jeanne a repetitive writer. All jargon and no actual content makes Jeanne a repetitive writer..."
10 reviews
November 12, 2018
This book is unnecessarily long and dull - it’s a perfect example of ‘could have been a white paper’. The author’s writing is reparative and annoying and it’s too general a book, trying to cover all bases but missing most of them. I give it two stars, because my boss was impressed when he saw the title and i got about 3 things from it.
Profile Image for Chris.
30 reviews
February 22, 2021
There certainly is a lot to unpack in Chief Customer Office 2.0. Bliss provides a systemized framework to get the entire organization behind the concept of customer success. From early stages in which the CCO is the one and only champion to more mature stages in which the CCO is facilitator with all of the teams aligned, she offers clear insights, explanations, and actionable ideas in a five-competency process.

For prospective CS readers, it doesn’t matter if you aren’t a CCO or your company doesn’t have a CCO. Leadership can come from anywhere, and a Director of CS can achieve just as much with other teams across the organization as outlined here. Of course, it may take more effort and patience to get the buy in.

For prospective readers who don’t even work in CS, there is so much here to reorient your thinking and habits towards the customer. A big problem for many organizations is the siloing of information and objectives, which results in a lack of horizontal communication and alignment. Just reading this book is enough to follow new paths of possibilities.

As you can tell, I’m a big fan of what Bliss has written here. It’s definitely a must read for any organization that desires to focus 100% on the customer.
Profile Image for Jim Miller.
48 reviews3 followers
September 19, 2021
Compelling and practical. I’ve read several books in the past two years that make a case for delivering excellence and customer experience. However, Jeanne Bliss actually presents a plan for how to get it done. I bought 20 copies for others in my office.

The book is very repetitive in some of the concepts presented. I’m sure that helps to drill it in, but makes the reading less engaging. Also, the print on so many of the charts is so small that I could hardly read it. Minor issues compared to the value I derived from it.
Profile Image for Radvilas Šeputis.
6 reviews7 followers
January 27, 2022
Technical and very enterprise-oriented. If you can stomach the algorithmic writing style and read it as a manual - you should be fine. I imagine that in the '90s business books were all like this. If you cut through all that there are lots to learn about how to do it for every marketer. Highly recommended for anyone looking into how to research your customers, how to structure your efforts and how to pace yourself.
148 reviews4 followers
July 10, 2022
The author provide clarity on role at CXo level and describe 5 competency requirements. The author also touches on the maturity model creating a roadmap.
In every chapter a used case is used. Many a cases these are repetitive.
Good one time read but nothing specific rigorous on driving customer experience. Although there is a pitch to come out from NPS to customer asset metrix, not clear whether it is common across or its only industry specific.
Profile Image for Thijs.
8 reviews
May 7, 2017
A book with more in it than you'd think.
It reads very difficult, and is sometimes quite repetitive.

I would recommend the book, though, and it won't harm to read it. It's a nice overview of questions and remarks to have in your pocket when dealing with customers.
Profile Image for Camille.
293 reviews45 followers
May 3, 2020
This is my customer care exec bible. God bless Jeanne Bliss. Like any good Bible you need to read it slow and over and over and bookmark and highlight and dog ear, and rinse and repeat.
Profile Image for Matt Brown.
45 reviews1 follower
July 25, 2021
A great dive into the CCO role and create a customer centric environment in business.
Profile Image for Paulo Peres.
133 reviews16 followers
April 16, 2016
Read it. Think with mindset leadership. But use another books focused in service design too
Jeanne gave us a book excellent. For me, is a great source to combine with another books when the theme is customer experience.

Jeanne clarify and bring a light for a good way to explore better the customer journey map. I'm coming by service design, and my vision about this book is that it is necessary to amplify your understanding not really for the experience just, but the importance of the leadership and the mindset focused customer-centric.

PS: Even, in sometimes, she has a way to writing, repeating concepts. And, maybe the fourth chapter, could have had more clear about the training, facilitation about human-centered, putting more enfasys in this parte very indispensable to understanding what are "the users".

Insert the figure of Culture Chief Officer inside an company maybe not be a really a easy way, but the concept certainly is easier. Ms Bliss, tracking us a long the road, asking good questions for CEOs, and the employees.

Read it, but search for books focused in service design too.
Profile Image for Brian Nicholson.
14 reviews2 followers
October 10, 2016
Jeanne Bliss has some good advice for would-be Chief Customer Officers and organizations considering such a position.

The quality of the content is about a 4. Repetitiveness and poor editing bring it down to a 3.5. Still, I'd recommend it to anyone learning about the role of a CCO.
Profile Image for المهند السبيعي.
Author 8 books32 followers
November 22, 2017
I liked the book however it can be shorter maybe 100 page less, in conclusion it seems that CCO should be the jack of all trades ... And if he managed to improve customer lives then he will be the next successful CEO
Displaying 1 - 23 of 23 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.