Start by marking “The Haunting of Emily Stone” as Want to Read:
The Haunting of Emily Stone

The Haunting of Emily Stone

“The haunting of Emily Stone was a hoax. There was no ghost, it was just a money-grabbing old woman and an easily-manipulated little girl. End of story.”

Twenty-four years ago, Robert Slocombe thought he had proof that ghosts were real. British newspapers filled their pages with photos of little Emily being tormented by what seemed to be a malevolent spirit. And then the wh
Published June 1st 2015 by Dark Season Books

To ask other readers questions about The Haunting of Emily Stone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Haunting of Emily Stone

Start your review of The Haunting of Emily Stone
Anne
Jul 02, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: horror, paranormal
This book had a really great premise. Girl "fakes" a haunting at the behest of her mother, but could it have been true? And what if the same things start happening to that girl's daughter? A perturbing thought, and one that should have been terrifying in the long run.

Was this book terrifying? Um....

description

Yeah, it's like that.

I think the immediacy of any of the situations faced by these characters was completely lost because the author attempts to write the entire thing in dialogue. Seriously, there
Inn Auni
To get the horror feel, I read it at 2am. So by the time I finished, it was almost 3am. I kind of skipped when Joyce was being her crazy self.

It got the vibe, I was hype, but once done, I slept like a baby. Wait, I think I dreamed of a pair of good looking twins with one being mute and the parents was trying to marry the mute one to this gang leader's daughter but somehow the gang knew about it and so the parents have to switch son. Something along that line.

The point is, the book was not haunti
Elise Olbrechts
Jan 16, 2020 rated it it was ok
2,5*
The story idea is really good, but I found the execution lacking... There was almost no character development, it felt like I was reading a horror movie, rather than a book. I like to be able to know what the characters drives, what they think, why they act a certain way. Unfortunately Amy Cross did not deliver...
It was the first book I read of her, but I will give her another try.
Julie Rein
Jun 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Paranormal at it's best

Amy Cross has done it again! Great story with vivid characters and descriptions, fast moving plot that keeps you guessing and wanting more. The ending was not what I expected but the book was solid
Josette Thomas
Aug 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
A very thought provoking book about the idea of ghosts being real or fake. It also had a great view about the afterlife and how time passed differently. What if someone has been there and wrote down what they witnessed? That is a question that could be pondered for infinity.
John Morris
Oct 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A paranormal delight

After my disappointment with the last Amy Cross book this story was a delight to read. An exceptionally well crafted ghost story. Well recommended to all you "spook hunters" out there.
Kathy Floyd
Sep 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Good and scary!

Good storyline. I liked the switching back and forth between time periods to get the feelings of anger and despair of the characters. The ending also had a nice twist.
Katey
Jul 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Enjoyable

Loved the premise and characters. Another great amy cross book she doesn't fair to entertain or let me down. Great.
Vickie
Aug 27, 2017 rated it liked it
Title is rather misleading. Story is odd yet intriguing. Several grammatical errors and such ("She head a noise."). Overall it was okay.
Thomas Ballein
Sep 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Another hit

Amy Cross is one of those author that puts out a lot of books and every one is superior work this book gives you a different spin on a ghost story.
Caroline Cairn
Nov 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Not a masterpiece, but a solid little story , great to pass the time. Shame about the crap editing. The wrong name was used multiple times in sentences...ouch
Sean McCoy
May 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Page turner

Good story, well fleshed out charActers and a haunting story that was unique and a little scary. Some minor editing issues as usual.
Jain
Oct 21, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5 stars.

Not scary at all if thats what you're looking for like i was, interesting story though.
Stacey Hammond
Nov 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Loved the beginning & the promising storyline of this book, but found myself extremely disappointed by the ending. ...more
Paula D. Gotlibowski
Good book. The ending appeared rushed.
Christina Robinson
Dec 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A must read

From beginning to end of the story, it has you hooked. If you want a good ghost story this is the one to read!
Donna L Buchanan-Smith
Mar 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I Couldn't Put It Down!!!!

I am so blown away by the brilliance and creativity of this author!!! Wow!! I have been reading everything I can that she's written and this is by far one of the best stories I've EVER read! And, I've read quite a lot in my 50 years. I finished this book in less than a day and I would love nothing more than to see this story portrayed on film! Scarier than The Conjuring movies, the Insidious movies, and other similar stories. Just wow!
Suzanne
Oct 26, 2017 rated it liked it
A supernatural / paranormal thriller ..

More to follow
Julie Powell
Jul 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A very good, spooky tale of a haunting with a difference, and a definite twist.

This is a story that explores possibilities, that of death and its meaning; it is also about a kind of faith, not in the usual sense, but more about beliefs in what can be and our place within...I don't give spoilers so I cannot explain this in detail.

Themes of love, betrayal, sorrow, forgiveness, anger and disappointment run alongside an unusual plot - one that keeps you hooked wanting to know more.

There were answers
Elana
Jan 15, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: horror
It's easy to dismiss serial horror fiction as a literary equivalent of binge eating. However, there are three caveats: first, it is better for your figure; second, it is better for your mind; and third, even an indifferently written novel in the genre can have flashes of genuine imagination. This is the case here. Despite a predictable beginning and flat characters, there is a depiction of the world of the dead which is as strange, uncanny and powerful as almost anything in modern horror. Unfort ...more
KT
Mar 03, 2016 rated it it was ok
Interesting concept, poor execution

I was extremely interested in the storyline but was vastly disappointed by poor writing littered with typos and British accents that sounded like an insecure American 8th grader writing their first Harry Potter fan fiction. Has the author ever even met a real breathing 12-year-old? Because Lizzie acted closer to six than twelve. Disappointing, can't believe I spent money on it.
Jessica Mcclaskey
Aug 07, 2015 rated it liked it
I liked the story & the concept... But there were grammatical errors/tense errors and even points where a male character was referred to as a she or one characters was referred to as the name of another character (I tripled checked, this wasn't misreading. Just editorial mistakes) and that sort of thing always takes me out of a story and makes me second guess an author's work. ...more
Emily Crow
Oct 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
An absolute page-turner of a horror novel, this novel combined both the feeling of hanging out with an old friend (with the story of a paranormal researcher who became a bitter drunk after his star case turned out to be a hoax) and interesting new territory. I enjoyed this so much I immediately borrowed another title by Ms. Cross through kindle unlimited; hopefully it will be just as good.
C.J. Wright
Jun 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle
Brilliant story. Very reminiscent of the film Poltergeist from 1982. This is exactly the type I book I love to read.
Teena Renken
Aug 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
A good chilling book

I enjoyed reading this book . The characters draw you in, and the story is a good twist on a haunting story. There were quite a few typos though.
Julie Donovan
Sep 16, 2015 rated it liked it
Fast read

Good storyline, not my favorite, but worth the read! The ending I felt could have been more in depth. Great editing and story.
Nancy J Doyle
Mar 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Wow I mean Wow

I loved this book it kept me so interested every morning couldn't wait to start reading again to see what happen next I hope you enjoy this book as much as I did
Rana
Mar 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Riveting

The author creates something new for readers to consider. A new way to look at things. Ending was a little bit rushed but, overall a good read.
Shadow Girl
Apr 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
RTC
Helen Lancaster Lancaster
Jan 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great

As usual great read by Amy Cross. I love her books, they are really up my street. This was no exception and the end wasn't what I expected. Good job Amy.

• What Reggie Did on the Weekend: Seriously! (The Reggie Books Book 1)
  • Bones
  • Saint X
  • Warner's Chase
  • The Sleep Experiment
  • Dawn on a Distant Shore (Wilderness, #2)
  • After the Cure (After the Cure, #1)
  • The Haunting in Barry's Lodge
  • Project ELE (ELE, #1)
  • Crossfire (Omega Group #1)
  • Greco (Omega Group #1.5)
  • The Super-Secret Science Club: Case of the Disappearing Glass
  • Altered Genes: Genesis
  • Vigil: Vampire Apocalypse
  • HADRON Dark Matter (HADRON, #1)
  • Castles
  • Suicide Forest (World's Scariest Places #1)
  • Apache Dawn (Wildfire, #1)
Amy Cross writes novels and short stories in a number of genres, mainly horror, paranormal and fantasy. Books include The Farm, Annie's Room, The Island, Eli's Town and Asylum.