Start by marking “Gyre (Atlas Link, #1)” as Want to Read:
Gyre (Atlas Link, #1)

Gyre

(Atlas Link #1)

3.9  ·  Rating details ·  111 Ratings  ·  60 Reviews
Chelsea didn’t try to teleport. All she wanted was to play the Battle of the Bands show. But after accidentally teleporting onto classified Navy vessel SeaSatellite5, all she’s rocking is the boat.

Once it’s sorted out that Chelsea’s not a threat, SeaSat5’s top scientist offers Chelsea a position on the crew as an archaeology intern. Dr. Gordon studies people with powers,
Published February 1st 2016 by Curiosity Quills Press

To ask other readers questions about Gyre, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gyre

Emerge by Tobie EastonFacsimile by Vicki L. WeavilScardust by Suzanne van RooyenThere Once Were Stars by Melanie McFarlaneForget Tomorrow by Pintip Dunn
#WO2016 Books
58 books — 70 voters
Lady Midnight by Cassandra ClareAge of Myth by Michael J. SullivanHeartless by Marissa MeyerThief of Lies by Brenda DrakeAnd I Darken by Kiersten White
New Series (2016)
198 books — 350 voters

More lists with this book...

Alexandra
Gyre is an imaginative twist on the myth of Atlantis, with intrigue and action.

Most of the story takes place aboard the classified Naval vessel “SeaSatellite5”, where we have military personal and civilians, along with clandestine Lemurians and Altlanteans with their own agendas.

Things escalate as the crew discovers a cache of apparent Atlantean artifacts. Who can be trusted?

When we first meet Trevor he is on the run from the military, trying to extricate himself from a struggle against Atlant
Emma Adams
I was lucky enough to read an earlier version of this book, and I can honestly say I've never read anything quite like it - and I mean that in the best way possible! GYRE has a really unique premise I haven't read before, featuring Atlantis folklore, superpowers, time travel, action and romance.

The POV alternates between Chelsea, an archaeology student with no idea she's descended from ancient Atlanteans until she teleports herself onto a top-secret vessel where scientists study people with powe
Jessica
Jun 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
This is my book! I'm so excited for everyone to read it! :D COME SOONER FEBRUARY!
Dorothy Dreyer
Nov 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
I had the privilege to be given the opportunity to read this book before its release. Gyre is a NA paranormal with a fantastic backdrop of the myths of Atlantis. Being a fan of myths and legends, I immensely enjoyed the way Atlantis was weaved into the plot. Add to that elements of paranormal and romance, and this book delivers. Gunn's writing is precise, her words carrying the reader directly into the matter at hand, wrapped in emotion and action without forgetting to give her characters unique ...more
Laura Thalassa
Aug 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Excuse me while I come down from my bookgasm. I swear this novel somehow managed to combine all of my favorite things--superpowers, lost civilizations, a war that spans time and space, and romance--into one epic book. And that ending! I need to know what happens next! Jessica Gunn's debut novel is the perfect read for lovers of all things sci-fi and fantasy!
Suzanne Rooyen
Jun 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I was super privileged to read an early version of this book. It had me intrigued from the very beginning and is so different from all the other New Adult books out there. If you're a fan of sci-fi or fantasy and enjoy a good NA romance, then this is one book you don't want to miss! mark your calendars for February!
Michael Cristiano
Jun 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
In short, if you love speculative fiction with a splash of archaeological fiction à la Guy Gavriel Kay, GYRE is for you. Jessica Gunn's debut new adult speculative fiction novel is fantastic, a story told in dual-POVS: Chelsea, a student who turns out to be Atlantean, and Trevor, a Lemurian fighting to stop his fellow Lemurians from destroying Atlantis.

Through twists and turns, Gunn seamlessly intertwines both stories, each with its own unique voice, and that ending is enough to have you absolut
Pat Esden
Jul 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing

I was excited to receive an ARC of GYRE and even more thrilled once I began to read. It’s a delicious blend of mythology, fantasy, and science fiction made even more enjoyable by the distinctly new adult and realistic main characters. The novel has fantastic world-building, loads of action, and a realist romance with ups and downs. I think Dr. Who fans will especially enjoy this novel. Hands down, I’ll be reading the next book in this series.
Jennifer Blackwood
Jun 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book was my gateway to SF--I never knew I liked the genre until I read Gyre. Absolutely loved the Atlantis lore and an altered take on ancient history. The relationship between Chelsea and Trevor is both sweet and steamy! Action-packed read that had me turning the page until I was finished!
Donnielle Tyner
Gyre is a science/ archaeological fiction with a New Adult twist. The blurb really drew me in. A love story – Teleporting – Atlantis –Ancient Wars – Mystery…

First of all, one of the main characters - Chelsea. Oh Chelsea, Chelsea, Chelsea… I’ll admit that I really didn’t like her at the beginning and it was all because of her inner musings about her ex-boyfriend.

“But who was really at fault? Lexi for convincing my boyfriend to cheat on me, or me letting it happen?” – Gyre, Jessica Gunn

Really? R
Marjolein
Read all my reviews on http://urlphantomhive.booklikes.com

Chelsea didn't mean to teleport. But did she mean to be such an annoying character?

Atlantis and Lemuria. Both sunken continents and at war with each other. In this mess Chelsea teleports, to a very secret navy base in the middle of the ocean. But don't worry, only Chelsea is special enough to succeed.

Chelsea annoyed me. If there ever was a character that was so special and had such powers and didn't question anything. She immediately le
CL
Jun 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
THIS BOOK!!

I had the privilege of reading this book early and couldn't put it down. I hadn't read any New Adult spec fic/SFF before and this was the best introduction. Immediately I connected with the Chelsea, an archaeology student by day and rock musician by night (having lived a bit of that lifestyle myself :). The way she experiences and handles her emotions, and her voice in general kept me turning pages. She's so relatable. The second POV belongs to Trevor, whose chemistry with Chelsea wa
Melanie McFarlane
Jul 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Gyre...now that's how you write NA. A step up in steaminess and age from YA books, Gyre was my first NA novel and a perfect fit for my preferences. Not only does it have elements I adore (I was going to be an archaeologist in a past life) but it also carried elements that kept me reading (action, adventure, mystery....and oh yes, romance). With my busy workload and family life, a book has to keep my interest or I just move on. Gyre not only kept my interest but also showed me that alternating PO ...more
Courtney Sloan
Dec 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I was privileged to read an early version of this book. Fantasy, Sci-Fi, and Romance , oh my. Normally if someone told me they were going to combine all of the above, I'd have been very worried. But this book does it not only handily, but also with a slow burn steam that keeps you rooting for more. The mix of science and powers is intriguing and makes me want to learn more and more about Atlantis and their long time adversaries.

This book not only adds so much new to a very old myth, but also to
Rena Rocford
Jan 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
I received an advanced reader's copy of this book.

Gyre is based on an interesting concept that Atlantis was a real place and the people from Atlantis had superpowers. The writing was fast paced, and the characters had distinct voices. The book is a mixture of Romance and Science Fantasy. It leans heavy on the romance side for the first two thirds of the book before making a very abrupt change into action, so if you like your romances mixed with a bit of a thriller, this book is for you!

Overall
Chasia Lloyd
Feb 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Pretty interesting spec fic NA. It's not what I normally would read, and I admittedly had a hard time getting into it because of the ol' "my boyfriend cheated on me with my best friend and clearly she is the problem, not him" opening. That kind of internalized misogyny is present in enough contemporary NAs, thanks.

I would have stopped reading there, but the teleportation thing had piqued my interest.

I never grew to care much for Chelsea, but I did like Trevor a lot.

Fans of Doctor Who might enjoy
Jun 22, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition

This book was okay. It has marines, Atlantis, Teleportation, basically all my favorite things. But then the instant love happened........ :(

description
Alicia Huxtable
May 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Surprisingly a very interesting read. I don't think I've read anything like it before. The storyline keeps you just as entertained as the characters themselves.....especially the fiesty rock chick Chelsea. Definately worth the read.
Felicitia
Feb 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, reviewed, favorites
I received a copy of this book in exchange of an honest review.
It's been a while since I picked up anything else other than contemporary novels and hell I am so glad to give this book a chance.

Chelsea just wanted to survive the Battle of the Bands show where she's supposed to perform with her band for the audience and hopefully, win. So waking up in a strange room and being told that she had teleported to a classified Navy vessel is the last thing that she would have expected. Enter Trevor. The
Shealea
Feb 22, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Read the entire review @ That Bookshelf Bitch!

I received a digital copy of this book (via NetGalley) in exchange for an honest review. Thank you, Jessica Gunn and Curiosity Quills Press!

I can genuinely say that I have never read anything quite like this! Gyre, which is the first installment of The Atlas Link series, is a brilliant story involving Atlantis folklore, time travel, adventure and super soldiers! I don’t want to give anything away because one of this novel’s biggest strengths is figur
Danielle
Feb 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Read this review and more on my blog.

I received a free copy of Gyre for my honest opinion.

Gyre made me realise how much I love archaeology (thank you Indiana Jones).

Gyre is set onboard a Navy research vessel, where Chelsea teleported herself onto. She is thrust into a thousand-year-old time-travel war between her ancestors that she never knew that she was related to.

I absolutely loved Gyre. I found the story to be very unique, which can be hard to find sometimes. Although, the romance did feel l
Karla
Feb 02, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: z-did-not-finish
I'm sorry to give this book only 2 stars. I didn't even finish the book I gave up at 64%.

I didn't like the dual POV, the idea was great, execution was poor. I was expecting more action, intensity and intrigue. The chemistry was between Trevor and Chelsea was poor. This book really wasn't for me. The world building was okay and I got a fare idea of what seasataelite5 contained but it did also disappoint me.

I didn't feel like I was living this adventure story, I was an outsider looking in, only g
Ruby
Feb 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I love Atlantis and the myths and legends surrounding the lost city so when I got an opportunity to review this book, I jumped at it. I was so glad that I did. Amazing settings filled with equally engrossing characters... I loved that Ms. Gunn not only added her own thoughts to the legend, but also kept with some of the 'truth' that we think happened to the city. I am excited to read the second and hope she keeps the momentum of this series going. Amazing stuff!!
Kimberly
Dec 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Great book!!! I received this book for free in exchange for an honest review.
Awesome premise with Atlantis at war with another group of similar people. Chelsea trying to figure stuff out when everyone around her is keeping secrets and Trevor trying to figure out how to help and how much to tell.
Can't wait to read more!!!
Diane
Feb 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Received a complimentary copy to read and review. I couldn't put it down. I really like the characters and world that Jessica created. It has some great twists and turns. Readers will be drawn into the story from the very first page. I look forward to reading more of Jessica's books.
Wendy
May 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Gyre” blends romance, mystery and the paranormal into a scify thriller that begins with a chance encounter in Boston in an alleyway behind the Franklin between Chelsea Danning part-time lead singer of the "Phoenix & Lobster" as well as an archaeology student, and Trevor Boncore an ingenious engineer on the SeaSatellite 5, a military research vessel. When she’s attacked by a mugger and he intervenes, their lives are irrevocably intertwined especially after she accidently teleports to SeaSate ...more
Elisabeth Hamill
May 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
**I was provided an ARC in exchange for a fair and honest review**

3.5 stars rounded up to 4

One of my favorite TV shows back when I was a wee baby writer was "The Man From Atlantis". This book had a lot of that vibe, minus the dolphin leg-flip full body swimming! I also loved "SeaQuest DSV" a while back. This book has a high tech submarine, undersea scientists, and descendants of the now-sunken civilizations of Atlantis and Lemuria, so it was right up my alley.

I really enjoyed the story once I g
Donna Thompson
Jun 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017-read
"Gyre," by Jessica Gunn, has a very unique premise. Mixing historic Atlantis with time travel, super charged soldiers with multiple magical abilities and a nice dash of romance, this book has it all. From the opening sequence, in which we are introduced to the two main characters, I knew I'd like this book, since Chelsea is a rock guitar babe and an archaeology major, and Trevor is a gaming geek/computer whiz. I knew immediately I'd like these two and together, they create an interesting dynamic ...more
Elaine Carass
first I received this in exchange for a review.

I found this to be confusing, each chapter been from either Trevor or Chelsea view put started to grate. Especially when things from the previous chapter were said from the other persons view point. so to me it was growing tired going over the same stuff. I understand that maybe that was the best way to get things across but didn't work for me.
I thought the story line was intriguing, an ancient war between Atlantis and Lemuria and Trevor and Chelsea
Derik
Apr 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I can't say enough great things about this book. I received a free copy in exchange for a honest review in September but wasn't able to read the book until this month. I found the story to be unique and unlike anything I've read before in a fantasy novel. I like how the story is told from the two main protagonist characters and switches between their perspectives in each chapter. I felt like I knew how each was feeling and really grew to quickly love both characters and their budding relationshi ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Link (The Shadow of Light, #1)
  • Artificial (The Kepler Chronicles, #1)
  • Vengeful Love (Vengeful Love, #1)
  • Stripped (Travesty, #2)
  • Cursed (Beholder #1)
  • Out of the Ashes (Five, #3)
  • American Specter
  • Roar (Stormheart, #1)
  • Isaura (Aberrant, #3)
  • Angel's Curse (Angel Series, #2)
  • The Black Witch (The Black Witch Chronicles, #1)
  • Harp's Song (Harp's Song, #1)
  • Moonstruck (Diablo Lake, #1)
  • The Reflections of Queen Snow White
  • Facsimile
  • The Packing House
  • Her Fantasy Husband (Things to do Before You Die…, #2)
  • Homunculus and the Cat
Jessica Gunn is a New Adult author and avid science-fiction and fantasy fan. Her favorite stories are those that transport the reader to other, more exciting worlds. When not working or writing, she can be found binge-watching Firefly and Stargate, or feeding her fascination of the ancient world’s many mysteries. Jessica also holds a degree in Anthropology.

To catch up with Jessica, follow her on T

Atlas Link (4 books)
  • Landlocked (Atlas Link, #2)
  • Riptide (Atlas Link, #3)
  • Countercurrent (Atlas Link, #4)