Start by marking “Junji Ito's Cat Diary: Yon & Mu” as Want to Read:
Junji Ito's Cat Diary: Yon & Mu

Junji Ito's Cat Diary: Yon & Mu

Hell-o-kitty! Master of Japanese horror manga Junji Ito presents a series of hissterical tales chronicling his real-life trials and tribulations of becoming a cat owner. Junji Ito, as J-kun, has recently built a new house and has invited his financée, A-ko, to live with him. Little did he know … his blushing bride-to-be has some unexpected company in tow—Yon, a ghastly-loo ...more
Published October 27th 2015 by Kodansha Comics (first published March 13th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Junji Ito's Cat Diary, please sign up.
Willa Taylor its like a 1-2, only because he draws facial expressions in a hilariously scary way. But its really very cute.

Start your review of Junji Ito's Cat Diary: Yon & Mu
karen
Apr 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
 photo IMG_1893_zps4nj52z5z.jpg

junji ito is a writer/illustrator known for his horror manga, and here he focuses his energies on the most horrible horror of them all - the domestic cat.

photo IMG_1925_zps3i1wc2fe.jpg

this is a comedic-horror manga, and it speaks to those of us who have invited these little devils into our hearts and homes, and the everyday horrors we endure as a result.

photo IMG_1919_zpsfer7ht8l.jpg

and

photo IMG_1908_zpstb2wwunp.jpg  photo IMG_1907_zpskt7m3buf.jpg

and

photo IMG_1934_zps6nblbxxi.jpg  photo IMG_1935_zpsa6icxyby.jpg

it is an autobiographical tale of what happens to a dog-person when his fiancée brings her two cats into their home

photo IMG_1917_zpsy4ym1yd7_1.jpg

I just love cats!
Tim
Sep 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed, humor, manga
“A curse is upon my household!”
-Junji Ito’s reaction upon seeing his fiancée’s cat

This is an oddity. It’s a manga that I really liked, but feel I can’t recommend it to many. It requires a love of cats, silly slice of life moments and a knowledge of Ito’s prior works. You see Ito is a Horror Artist, and I use capital letters there because he takes it a step beyond what most can pull off. His drawings are horrific and often grotesque. He is not the sort of manga creator I can recommend to most of
Dave Schaafsma
Apr 01, 2016 rated it liked it
I have been successfully creeped out by horror manga-ka Ito's Uzumaki (a town driven to madness by spirals) and Museum of Terror (boys driven to madness and murder by a girl/femme fatale), so I just added this to my tbr list, and was surprised to find it is basically diary comics, the funny story of how dog person Ito got pushed into living with two cats by his wife.

But how can a horror artist tell the story of two cats coming to live in his house? As if the cats were monsters, of course, out t
The Artisan Geek
10/7/20
As a Junji Ito stan I could not help but really enjoy this manga! It was such a fun combination of Ito's horror style, but without the actual horror. His facial expressions juxtaposed with the story lines were super funny in my opinion. Also Yon looks super scary -- but also, I love him (and Mu)

You can find me on
Youtube | Instagram | Twitter | Tumblr | Website | The Storygraph
Caro the Helmet Lady
Knowing it to be Junji Ito's work, one would expect something like this:
description

But it's nothing like that, relax! (or get upset, it depends) At its worst it's more like this:
description

This story is about cat loving, it's about becoming a cat person - a true one, believe me, and about how these little furry assholes change everything when they arrive in our lives. It's adorable to say the least. It's very funny and it's actually authentic, because you will also get a bonus gallery of Ito's real life cats, who l
Kelly Spoer
Nov 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
KITTY CATS
Timothy Urges
Jan 01, 2021 rated it really liked it
Absurdity defines cats.
Anthony Vacca
Dec 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Junji Ito makes gleeful use of his superior horror aesthetics to create a charming love letter to the cats his wife forced into his life. While not the mind-melting masterwork that is Uzumaki (trans: Spiral), this comic book is slim enough to stuff a Christmas stocking and quirky enough to delight the feline fetishist nearest and dearest to your heart this holiday season. ...more
Anna Kļaviņa
10 chapters, Yun-chan and Muu-chan's photos, FAQ.

Fun stories about Ito and his wife's cats. Drawn and told with love.

Nazrin Asy
Funnily cute stories about cats but the drawings are still creepy.
Kate
5/5stars

Freaking LOVED this!! This was a hilarious combination of Ito's normal horror art style mixed with the comedy of having two cats with VERY different personalities. If you love cats or have cats - i HIGHLY recommend! I saw so much of Bin and Tae in Yon and Mu!
Nate D
Dec 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is Juni Ito of horror manga like Uzumaki (you know, where a town is consumed by spirals in three volumes) doing diary comics about his pet cats, so you can probably already guess whether this would ever appeal to you. I like both Ito and cats, so I find this pretty delightful, particularly in how it's still drawn like horror manga in typical Ito style, even though the content is all actually pretty normal. But aren't cats always a little uncanny anyway?

You may have run into the little bit w
Orrin Grey
May 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Junji Ito and I love cats, which is probably why I put off reading this for so long. One of Junji Ito's claims to fame is that he can make just about any random thing creepy as hell, so I wasn't too keen for him to turn his powers onto cats. (Which, let's face it, are often creepy enough on their own.)

Fortunately, I needn't have worried. While Ito's usual offbeat comedic style (which comes through in many of his horror manga as well) is in full force here, and Junji Ito's Cat Diary occasi
Mizuki
Mar 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
A horror manga-ka moves into a cozy new house with his newlywed wife, what can go wrong? This: his wife wants to have two cats! Lol
Amanja
Oct 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Junji Ito is a horror manga artist known best for exceptionally creative and terrifying works such as Uzumaki and Tomie. I've read almost everything of his that has been released in America (still waiting for my bf to finish one anthology so he can lend it to me). His works are creepy, disturbing, spectacularly drawn, and always something I have never seen before. This book is no exception, just that it is also very funny.

It's the true enough story of what happened when his fiance moved into hi
hannaღ
Dec 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ficiton, japan, manga
Somehow Junji Ito manages to make even really cute cats look quite scary....
Mara Cee
Aug 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Having read most of Ito Junji's other works, I would consider myself a fan first and foremost of his horror stories. However, I can safely say after reading Cat Diary that Ito Junji is one of the rare authors who can sate my obsession with the frightening and the grotesque on the one hand, while on the other delighting me with humor and cute animals.

Cat Diary is basically a manga based drawn from Ito's home life with his fiancee and two cats, Yon and Mu. Not only does he capture the cats' expres
Sara
Stumbling upon this in a local comic book shop was such a pleasant happy accident. I love Junji Ito. His horror comics are terrifying and amazingly drawn and unique. I love cats. I have one. Cats are the best.

JUNJI ITO WROTE A COMIC BOOK ABOUT CATS! MY LIFE IS MADE! I love how this is very very similar to Chi's Sweet Home...but for older readers, and he still manages to weave his horror sensibility into a very cute story about becoming a cat lover. Basically, this is Chi's Sweet Home filtered t
Erin
Mar 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I can't remember the last time I laughed so hard at a book. I totally relate to Junji Ito as being someone who went from a dog person to a cat person. Yonsuke Forever. <3 ...more
Richelle Delgado
Feb 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
I can’t believe a cat story could be so funny!

I’m ready to read more of Junji Ito!
Anita
Mar 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I laughed and I cried (that ending is so touching)! This manga was so funny due to the artwork (at times terrifying and clever all wrapped into one image) and writing. But the best part about it was the heart that was behind every page. Clearly these are two extremely well-loved kitties and any pet owner can appreciate the little snippets of stories if they think about how much they love their furry best friends. One of my favorite parts was the author's confession that a gift of fake poop, "sti ...more
Nay Keppler
Nov 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i've never loved anything in my life more than this book ...more
reese ♡
Sep 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, manga
Five stars!

To be honest, I was a little hesitant to read this manga when I saw this on a Youtube manga rec video but I am happy to announce that I'm glad that I did!

Who would've thought that the king of Japanese horror manga will be able to deliver such delightfully humorous read about cats?

Cat Diary: Yuu & Mu is a compilation of hilarious anecdotes about an originally proclaimed dog person's conversion to being a cat person.
These amusing stories starring J and A-ko's cats–Yuu and Mu—combine
R.
Sep 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018
Cat owners will find much to identify with in this slim volume of cat chronicles. Ito gets it all down in fine style, the horror of feline ownership: the bites, the disappearances, the escapes and, perhaps most supernatural of all, their ability to catch your eye, hold your gaze, and hypnotize you into state of complete submission to their whims, fancies: into a mood of love or forgiveness or another cup of frisky biscuits.

That's my take. I leave the remainder of the review to my cat, who also
Francesca
May 14, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga, 2021-reading
It took me a minute to get into this. The mini-stories within are very short and are practically over before they've started. But once I'd read the first couple I found myself grinning like a maniac while reading.

Junji Ito perfectly captures those dumb facial expressions that only cat owners will recognise. The fat belly hanging through the hole in the cat tower, the exposed butthole, and the sudden CHOMP when just a moment before everything had been perfect.

I sincerely wish I knew more manga-r
Akira
Jan 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was just too dang cute and funny 😂😂😂!
Robin
Dec 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
Cats :)
Rehan Abd Jamil
Feb 02, 2021 rated it really liked it
Muu is so cute..and Yon seems to wear an eyeliner!
C. Varn
Mar 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Junji Ito is a master of horror manga, and as an artist, his style is distinct. Clean-lines, sometimes hyperreal to the point of the uncanny, and then a manic tip over into the grotesque. What makes Junji Ito's Cay Dairy so strange is that while it is creepy and uncanny, it is mostly Ito making fun of himself.

This is the story of J, A-ko, J's fiancee, and their two cats, Yon and Mu. Yon is a family cat that J. thanks has an accursed face, but he learns to love. Mu is a Norwegian forest cat that
ABQ Graphic Novel...: * January 2020: Junji Ito's Cat Diary: Yon & Mu 3 5 Mar 02, 2020 03:13PM

• The Drifting Classroom: Perfect Edition, Vol. 2
  • The Drifting Classroom: Perfect Edition, Vol. 1
  • The Drifting Classroom: Perfect Edition, Vol. 3
  • 血の轍 1 [Chi no Wadachi 1] (Blood on the Tracks, #1)
  • 後遺症ラジオ 1 [Kouishou Radio 1] (PTSD Radio, #1)
  • A Man and His Cat, Vol. 1
  • 後遺症ラジオ 3 (PTSD Radio, #3)
  • The Drifting Classroom, Vol. 1
  • 極主夫道 4 (Gokushufudou: The Way of the House Husband, #4)
  • 極主夫道 3 (Gokushufudou: The Way of the Househusband, #3)
  • 極主夫道 2 (Gokushufudou: The Way of the Househusband, #2)
  • 後遺症ラジオ 4 (PTSD Radio, #4)
  • PTSD Radio, Vol. 2 (PTSD Radio, #2)
  • The Drifting Classroom, Vol. 3
  • The Drifting Classroom, Vol. 4
  • 極主夫道〈1〉 (Gokushufudō: The Way of the Househusband, #1)
  • The Drifting Classroom, Vol. 2
  • 血の轍 2 [Chi no Wadachi 2] (Blood on the Tracks, #2)
See top shelves…
Junji Itō (伊藤潤二) Born in Gifu Prefecture in 1963, he was inspired from a young age by his older sister's drawing and Kazuo Umezu's comics and thus took an interest in drawing horror comics himself. Nevertheless, upon graduation he trained as a dental technician, and until the early 1990s he juggled his dental career with his increasingly successful hobby — even after being selected as the winner o ...more