Start by marking “Even The Score (Tall, Dark, and Texan, #1)” as Want to Read:
Even The Score (Tall, Dark, and Texan, #1)

Even The Score (Tall, Dark, and Texan #1)

3.8  ·  Rating details ·  878 Ratings  ·  150 Reviews
A sexy category romance from Entangled's Brazen imprint...

He'll make her an offer she can't refuse...

Actress Tess McKenzie is performing in the Tenth Circle of Showbiz Hell-dinner theater. All she really wants is to start a theater of her own. Then Tess receives an offer she can't refuse. She'll get her funding... if she pretends to be the fiancée to her nemesis, Texan pro

Published July 21st 2015 by Entangled: Brazen

To ask other readers questions about Even The Score, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Even The Score

Arianna✦❋SteamyReadsBlog❋✦
4 Stars!!

description

What a great read this turned out to be! A enemies to lovers story, “Evan the Score” was a sexy, fun, feel good story with the perfect amount of steam, angst and drama, so if you love the hate-to-love trope this might be the perfect read for you. The story fallows Tess McKenzie, an actress who’s performing in the Tenth Circle of Showbiz Hell – dinner theater. Her dream? To open with other actors their own theatre. The problem is she doesn’t have enough money.

“Revenge was a dish best s
Lana ❇✾Dirty Girl Romance❇✾
5 Stars

Revenge was a dish best served in bed- And Tess McKenzie was about to get a five-course meal.

There is no other trope out there that I love more than hate-to-love. And I think I may have found my favorite hate-to-love romance book to date. Even the Score was full of sexual chemistry, humor, all wrapped around a fantastic story that was utterly delicious. Delicious I tells ya! If this book isn't on your TBR, you are seriously missing out because what a perfect gem this turned out to be.
Amanda
4.5 'Frenemies Forever' stars

Even The Score is the perfect kind of feel good romance that make me laugh and give me all the warm fuzzy feelings. It come with a dose of smart humor, a pair of lovable characters and some emotional moments that left my heart tender. I spent my weekend curled up on the bed with Hunter and Tess and fantasizing of having a threesome with them.

Meet Hunter Dade, the cowboy with a hero complex and Tess McKenzie a spitfire, aspiring theater actress who ruined his wedding
Claire Robinson
May 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
5 - Perfection times heaven. Stars!

Sometimes you pick up a book with no expectations and no real idea as to what you are going to get. I hadn’t read anything by Kate Meader prior to Even The Score, and to say it grabbed me from the first page would be an understatement. I am naturally quite a quick reader, but I found myself slowing down with this one, because the writing is just that good, I wanted to make sure that I hadn’t missed anything.

Kate has also managed to mix snark, sarcasm and wit
Jeanne
Jul 30, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jeanne by: ami
Shelves: favorite-brazen

Thanks for finding me a good book Ami,

Maybe there's hope for us yet! I don't know why I haven't read a book by this author before, because I have a couple on my list. I will definitely try them, I like her writing style, the banter in this was fun. Well, the hot Texan didn't hurt either....! Definitely a favorite Brazen.
[~Ami~]♥Sexy Dexy♥
4 stars

This was everything I enjoy about a Brazen title.
Quick read? Check
Fun banter? Check
Sizzling sexual tension? Check
Hot sex? Check check check!!

It's not a storyline I haven't read before unfortunately and it may get lost and forgotten in the many books that I have read with similar plots. But still an enjoyable read and I'm def interested in Brody's story (FYI he wears glasses and apparently is the brains of the trio ;)) #swooningalready)
Michelle
ARC provided by author in exchange for an honest review

[image error]

Kate Meader has once again reminded me why I love reading her books. She has managed to make sensual tension and banter into such a fun yet emotional endearing romance that will make any hearts flutter. In her newest release, Even the Score, Kate Meader has written one of my favorite tropes of frenemies to lovers. There is nothing like a love/hate relationship and sexual tension to keep readers like myself engaged. With hot sexu
Janey
Jul 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, entangled, series
4 perfection times heaven stars

Loved this new author to me, but loved Hunter Dade far more!

description

Tess McKenzie is biding her time until she has enough funding to set up a theatre of her own. In the meantime, the actress is working at a dinner theatre, currently kitted out in a corseted waist and ffffoool-me shoes.

Hunter Dade is an established business man on the edge of a huge deal, but finds himself needing someone to play his fiancee. Dealing with a man he’s known since a boy, he’s going to have t
Lyndy Ann ♫
Tess McKenzie is a struggling actress trying to raise enough money with her friends to open up their own theatre. She is independent and strong willed, she gets a job offer that would get her dream off the ground she can't refuse the only problem it is from the man who hates her for destroying his wedding day.

Hunter Dade needs a pretend fiancée for a weekend to impress a business tycoon who better than Tess she is an actress and he wants his revenge on her as well but soon their mutual attractio
Nicola
Jul 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I have to confess when I saw Even the Score involved a fake engagement, I may have emitted a little groan as it's a trope that has become tired for me of late. And it fills me with glee to admit I was wrong, because this held pretty much everything I could have asked for in a book from the Brazen imprint. Great writing, fabulous characters who had depth and an engaging storyline.

description

I adored Hunter and Tess. Their chemistry burns from the start and their verbal sparring and dislike of one another b
Alyssa

Publisher: Brazen
Publication Date: July 21, 2015
Rating: 5 stars
Source: eARC from NetGalley

***Warning: this is an adult book, and for the eyes of mature readers***

Summary (from Goodreads):

Ivy Deluca
description
Want to hate you: Hunter Dade was unceremoniously dumped on his wedding day and it still stings. His wussy bride couldn’t tell him, so she sent her maid of honor, Tess McKenzie, to deliver the news. The same maid of honor who told/nudged the bride into not going through with it because said wussy bride was in love with someone else. Ouch.

Hate to want you: Fast forward several months later, and Hunter runs into Tess when she’s working the tenth circle of hell, otherwise known as dinner theater.
Jo
Oct 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4-stars, gr2016
Revenge was a dish best served in bed— And Tess McKenzie was about to get a five-course meal.

Actress Tess Mckenzie dreams of starting a theater of her own. Instead she’s performing in dinner theater. But when Hunter Dade, the man who hates her because she ruined his wedding, makes her a offer that will give her the funding she needs, she can’t say no to pretending to be his fiancé for a weekend. She will have to use all her acting skills to pull this off without Hunter finding out how attract

Kate Meader
May 27, 2015 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-wrote-this
Available now from Entangled Brazen...

She's a down-on-her-luck Chicago actress slumming it in dinner theater. He's an on-the-rise Texan tycoon who climbed out of the dirt and found a beautiful socialite to marry . . . only to have the actress stick her nose in and tell the bride "Run!"

On his wedding day.

A year later, they need each other but the past is never forgotten.

EVEN THE SCORE is the first book in my new Tall, Dark, and Texan series from Entangled's Brazen line, where romance begins in
Guilty Pleasures Book Reviews
Slick's review posted at Guilty Pleasures Book Reviews

I'll admit I almost didn't read this book because of the title; I'm tired of reading books that are labeled romance but the characters are together for revenge or to use one another or to "get even." But because I've loved this author's work in the past, I took a chance and I'm really glad I did. Yes this book started out with the two characters doing exactly what I listed above as a reason to be together but it was the way this author turned
Valerie
Jul 12, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015-reads, romance
Pretending stories are one of my very favorite tropes, so when I saw this one I had to read it. It wasn't as good as I'd hoped.

For me, a pretending story is good when the couple are forced to act like they love each other and discover there's some serious heat when they tough. The trying to resist each other is part of the fun. This one didn't feel that way to me. They gave in early and then tried to back track. It just wasn't right to me.

I did love these characters. Hunter is a self-made man. G
Lisa
Nov 24, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm struggling with reading at the moment....too many juggling balls in the air at once and 'reading time' is suffering.

Sooo......this book is probably way more cohesive than it seemed to me because I had to keep putting it down to do 'adulting' and other boring things like feed my family.

Hunter Dade (bad name) is a trailer park boy grown up to be a billionaire (aren't they just a dime a dozen in book world!!). He is about to marry the right girl, Amy, connected and beautiful, but boring....when
Amber .:★Wild Heart Reviews★:.
Even the Score is the first book in Kate Meader's new Tall, Dark and Texan series. This book amused me practically from the very beginning. It's one of those very well written, middle of the road books for me that I completely enjoy. If you're looking for entertainment, it definitely does not and will not disappoint you.

From the get go, Tess had me cracking you. You meet here while she's doing murder mystery dinner theater and having to prance around in a French maid costume.. that she hates. Th
Kim Reads (Read Your Writes Book Reviews)
Reviewed for Read Your Writes Book Reviews
by Kim

Confession time...I’ve known Even the Score was coming out for awhile now. Being a fan of Kate Meader, I couldn’t wait. I’ve heard bits and pieces about the story. From those bits and pieces, I was concerned I wasn’t going to like the heroine, Tess McKenzie. I mean come on, the woman convinced her friend to not marry the hero, Hunter Dade on their wedding day. The man was actually left at the altar in front of hundreds of people. That’s a little ha
Talk Supe
Jul 20, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh but I loved this! KMeader, your brand of sexy romance is fast becoming a my favorite.
*The Angry Reader*
I liked that this book avoided a lot of the silly pitfalls that catch so many romance reads. Where Tess and Hunter could have been mired in family drama or denying their feelings they both did a good job of realistically assessing where they stood and moving forward accordingly.

Hunter doesn’t like Tess because she broke up his wedding. But when he needs an actress to play his fiancé she falls in his lap. They spend their fake-engaged weekend realizing there’s a thin line between hate and love.
Maria Rose
This fun and sexy romance is the story of Tess and Hunter. When Hunter's wedding to his socialite fiancée ended in disaster, he blamed Tess the maid of honour for scaring off his bride to be. Encountering Tess months later in a dinner theater where she is the only bright light in an actor's hell he offers her something she can't refuse - a surefire way to earn some money she desperately needs by pretending to be his fiancée to secure a business deal, while at the same time atoning for what he se ...more
WTF Are You Reading?
Acting my ass! There is no way that an attraction as intense as the one searing the pages of Kate Meader's Even The Score can be anything less than soul-shatteringly, heart-stoppingly, panty-soakingly, authentic.
This blue collar Texan, and his blue blooded "lady of the stage" may begin their "fiancee farce" under terms that are anything but 100%...shall we say...above the belt. But it soon becomes very clear that Tess McKenzie and Hunter Dade share a passion that is REAL HOT!

Not one to leave ev
Gretchen  (About That Story)
This was so great! Everything I love in a story was in this plus the edition of a super sexy cowboy. Awesome read!

I loved both Tess and Hunter and the friction between the two. Characters that bicker and have great animosity are a personal favorite of mine. It created amazing chemistry between them and a lot of heat. I loved their growing connection and the development of them coming together.

I thought there was an excellent pace and it was well developed. It was entertaining with funny parts an
Dyndyn
Oct 12, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

Likeable characters but the story needed something more for me. I can't quite figure out if it's the flow of the story, the narration or more connection. There's a lot of heat, no doubt. This was an okay read. I just needed a bit more to make it fantastic and comparative to her other stories which I loved.
Book Reading Gals
Title: Even the Score

Series: Tall, Dark, and Texan book #1

Author: Kate Meader

He'll make her an offer she can't refuse...

Actress Tess McKenzie is performing in the Tenth Circle of Showbiz Hell-dinner theater. All she really wants is to start a theater of her own. Then Tess receives an offer she can't refuse. She'll get her funding...if she pretends to be the fiancée to her nemesis, Texan property tycoon Hunter Dade. If she's going to pull this off, she'll need all the luck she can get. Break a le
1-Click Addict Support Group
Never have the words ‘opposites attract’ worked more than in this story!

Tess and Hunter intensely disliked each other and with Tess ending his wedding before it even began, it led to lots of fighting. However, there was always an underlying attraction and connection between them.

“He’d never had as much fun as when he was fighting with Tess. Which was incredibly arousing and strangely disturbing.”

Tess is an actress who is stuck in the awful world of dinner theater. One night, Hunter comes to see
CL
 photo LIASOM_zps9e498f89.png

ARC received from: Netgalley

Rating: 3.5*

Cover: Yay

Trope: Fake relationship

Chemistry Rating: Low boil

One-Sentence Summary: Struggling actress meets rich Texan

Review: I'm a big fan of Kate Meader's other books so when I heard that she was writing for Entangled Brazen (of which I have enjoyed more than a fair few), I was really excited.

This book had a lot of what I love about the author's writing, namely the banter and the quips. Unfortunately it also suffered from one major flaw: I just didn't wa
Nadia
Aug 03, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: must-read-asap
I was expecting a 4, maybe a 5 stars reading with this one, to be honest, it did deliver, but not like I was expecting.

Tess knows she made a favor to Hunter and her friend Jenna when she helped Jenna to make a decission of not marrying Hunter, unfortunately he doesn't feel the same, so now that they're face to face a year later, he wants to make her pay for sticking her nose.on his business.

Tess is an actress and Hunter needs a fake fiancee to close a deal during a weeked gateaway, so he hires T
Bette Hansen
Jul 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Funny, sexy, and completely entertaining! Tess McKenzie and Hunter Dade know each other. At least they think they do. She did, after all, ruin his wedding! When they meet up a year later in a dinner theater of all places, Hunter can't believe his bad luck. Or maybe, if she agrees to his deal, his good luck! It seems they both need something. He needs a fake fiancee, and she needs money to get her own theater up and running. After spending a little time together, they are both coming to realize t ...more
  • Blackmailed By The Hero (Gone Hollywood, #2)
  • Slow Ride (Playing for Keeps, #1)
  • Chasing Desire (Chasing Love, #3)
  • Recipe for Temptation (Madewood Brothers, #4)
  • Betting on Fate (Serve, #4)
  • Ask Me Nicely (Naughty or Nice, #2)
  • Bridesmaid Blues (Wedding Favors #1)
  • Hold Me Until Midnight (Grayson Brothers, #1)
  • Playing for Her Heart (Gamers #2)
  • Exposed by Fate (Serve, #2)
  • A Moment of Weakness (Boston Alibi, #1)
  • Seducing the Princess (Shillings Agency, #3)
  • Swan Prince
  • Sleeping with Her Enemy (49th Floor, #2)
  • Make Me, Take Me (Hot Nights, #3)
  • How To Master A Millionaire
  • Neighbors with Benefits (Anderson Brothers, #2)
  • Always for You: Jack (Sergeant Joe's Boys, #1)
Kate writes sexy contemporary romance with alpha heroes and strong heroines who can match their men quip for quip. Her latest series, the Chicago Rebels, is about a trio of estranged half-sisters who inherit their late father's hockey franchise.

Sign up for her newsletter to get updates on sales, giveaways, and new releases.

Order of the Chicago Rebels series about sexy hockey players:
0.5 IN SKA
More about Kate Meader

Tall, Dark, and Texan (3 books)
  • Taking the Score (Tall, Dark, and Texan, #2)
  • One Week to Score (Tall, Dark, and Texan, #3)

Romance Deals

• Wild Kisses (Wildwood, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Dangerous Engagement (The Regency Spies of London, #3)
  • Trouble in Paradise
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Staying For Good (Most Likely To, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Miss Fortune (Lear Family Trilogy #3)
  • Almost Like Love
  • Party Girl
  • Cross My Heart
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Grave Secrets (Rogue River #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Married by Monday (The Weekday Brides, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • If I Didn't Know Better (The Callaways #9)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Beauty Queen (Lear Family Trilogy, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Life After Wife (Three Magic Words Trilogy, #3)
  • Incentive
    $3.99 $1.99
  • It Started With a Kiss (Sequoia Lake, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fiancé by Friday (The Weekday Brides, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Savage Urges (The Phoenix Pack, #5)
  • The Color of Water in July
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Knight Avenged (Circle of Seven, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Taken by Tuesday (The Weekday Brides, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Kushiel's Dart (Phèdre's Trilogy, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • A Forever Thing (Three Magic Words Trilogy, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dead in Her Tracks (Rogue Winter, #2)
  • Flirting with Felicity
  • Long, Hot Texas Summer
  • You'll Think of Me
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Lily Love
    $1.99 $0.99
  • Forever is the Worst Long Time
    $4.99 $1.99
  • True to the Highlander (Loch Moigh #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sweet as Sin (Bad Habit, #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Dollmaker (The Forgotten Files, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fifth Grave Past the Light (Charley Davidson, #5)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Heart of Betrayal (The Remnant Chronicles, #2)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Shameless (White Lies Duet #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Burn for You (Slow Burn, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Be Mine Forever (St. Helena Vineyard, #4)
  • Playing It Safe
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Sweet Lake (Sweet Lake #1)
  • The Barefoot Summer
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Smart Girl (The Girl's #3)
  • Falling Together
    $10.74 $1.99
  • Warrior's Revenge
  • Lily's White Lace
    $4.49 $1.99
  • A Viscount's Proposal (The Regency Spies of London, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fear For Me: A Novel of the Bayou Butcher (For Me, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Hangman (The Forgotten Files #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Stone Walls (True Heroes, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Things I Can't Forget (Hundred Oaks, #3)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Flashpoint (Troubleshooters, #7)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Break Me (Corrupted Hearts, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Shark (Forgotten Files, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Black and Green (The Ghost Bird, #11)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Wager
  • Enrage (Eagle Elite )
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Spiral of Need (The Mercury Pack, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Treasured by Thursday (The Weekday Brides, #7)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Infraction (Players Game, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Fated (Dark Protectors, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Material Girl (The Fancy Lives of the Lear Sisters, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Beauty of Darkness (The Remnant Chronicles, #3)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Summer in Napa (St. Helena Vineyard, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Devil's Daughter (Hidden Sins #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fraternize (Players Game, #1)
  • P.S. from Paris
  • Love, Lucas
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Rules of Regret
    $3.99 $1.99
  • In Shining Whatever (Three Magic Words Trilogy, #2)
  • By Your Side
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Follow Me (Corrupted Hearts, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sweet Girl (The Girl's Series Book 2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lost and Found Sisters (Wildstone, #1)
  • Kulti
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Trouble with Tomboys (Tommy Creek #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • All There Is (Juniper Hills, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Soul and Blade (Blood and Bone, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • To Win Her Favor (Belle Meade Plantation #2)
  • In The Flesh
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Nobody's Baby But Mine (Chicago Stars, #3)
    $4.74 $1.99
  • Delta: Redemption (Delta, #3)
  • The Curiosity
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dealing Double (Heartbreaker, #2)
  • Spin (Spin, #1)
    $7.74 $0.99
  • On Her Father's Grave (Rogue River #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
“What do you think for dinner? I know it’s important I don’t show you up.” Something soft and red filled his lust-hazed vision. “With this first one, I can’t wear a bra because it’s backless…” She swapped it out for something dark. “…but this second one is a little low-cut. Bra or no bra?”

Think, man, think. The fate of the universe depended on the answer to this question.”
3 likes
“Staying level with Tess was going to require fast thinking, which was mighty difficult considering all the blood he needed for said thought processes was now hurtling south.

“What would this job involve?”

“Only one task. Make. Me. Believe.”

“That I’m your fiancé?”

Cue her smile, sly and sexy. First time she’d let him in on that action, too. “That you want me more than your next breath.”

If she moved forward a couple of inches, his boner would make her believe.”
2 likes