Start by marking “The Girl from the Woods” as Want to Read:

The Girl from the Woods

A wilderness photographer finding spiritual solace in nature takes a trip to Shimla. What he thinks a regular assignment is hardly what the trip turns out to be. From falling accidently in love with a local mountain girl to allowing self-introspection in the cold valley; from winter camping to sitting alone in the church, this long winding journey itches a permanent memory ...more
Published June 2015 by notion press

To ask other readers questions about The Girl from the Woods, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Girl from the Woods

Gehna

This book was way better than I was expecting it to be! Really! :')

It is about a photographer, Niam, who goes to Shimla and falls in love with a local girl, Siya. Simple plot. But what makes it good in the writing. I loved all the different styles so I will mainly discuss them in this review :-)

A. NATURE : The photographer goes to Shimla for his project so all the scenery and mountain beauty of Shimla is described so well that you would want to go there to experience it. The natural beauty is d
Purvika
Jun 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
********** I Received an ARC of this book in exchange for the Honest Review********

First of all, many thanks to the author Amar Shekhar for giving me this story to read. It was a great experience for me. Being a nature lover myself I savoured every little details that Amar wrote so brilliantly about the beauty of nature. It made me crave to visit and see all those places myself.
I thoroughly enjoyed his writing style, his ability to capture the beauty of nature in words is marvelous. Sometimes
Eti Mishra
Jun 02, 2015 rated it liked it
The Girl from the Woods

**I have received an ARC of this book from the author in exchange of an honest review.

You can read my full review here,http://theirvodka.blogspot.in/2015/06...

*3 Stars*
Which means I didn't like it much, it was just fine and a nice read.

Well before I start this book is author's first published novel.
And it is no literary masterpiece and it would be wrong to compare it with one.If I talk about writing it is bit immature and this is something I face every time when I pic
Sharanya
An Interlude in Passing

What happens when a wanderlust photographer meets a rooted small town girl in Shimla? Is it any less of a love when it is fleeting? What when love is as true as it gets and destiny has different plans in store? Is love a destination or a journey? The Girl from the Woods by Amar Shekhar attempts to answer these questions through Niam’s eyes and lenses.

The author’s description of Shimla was so enchantingly vivid and it has left me with a wanting to visit it! In some places
Pallavi
Jun 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
The Advanced Reader copy of this book was given to me by the writer.
A really good story about the struggle between relationship and independence. The wonderful thing about it is how the writer describes each experience with an open heart. I liked the part where he tells us about the ganja experience. Also this book is really simple and everything can be related to our experiences as well.
"Why couldn't I hold onto the pleasant things in the past? Was I a different person back then?"
I felt very
PenNPaper52
Jun 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
I received an Advanced Copy of this book from the author. Having not read many Indian authors except for 1 book from Chetan Bhagat, I was excited to c hw the story will enfold.

The beginning was a bit boring to be honest, but if u keep reading slowly the story blooms like a rose in front of ur very eyes. You can say that this book is like an art film, the pace is slow moving, but the content is rich and endearing. The pictures the author paints of Shimla, the girl in the woods and even his own p
Vikas
Jun 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
E-copy was provided to me by Amar for an honest review:

Honest is that I loved 'The Girl from the Woods' it is such an honest and real story and Amar has already said that the book is inspired by real events so it makes it so much better. After all you can always write better about the things you have felt and known yourself. And the writing shows that.

Our protagonist Niam is an Adventurer and photographer he is successful in life but a failure in love and his hurt heart doesn't want to acknowled
Aneesh
Jun 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
The Girl From the Woods marries the physical and spiritual in an endearing tale of adventure and romance.

The scenes are exhaustively detailed, allowing the reader to picture the breathtaking view of Shimla.

The protagonist, Niam is a nature photographer in love with adventure and nature. The story starts with his visit to Shimla on a two month project. His love life takes a tumultuous turn when he meets the girl from the woods.

The introspection Niam goes through throughout the story could strik
Ranendu  Das
Jun 02, 2015 rated it liked it
Recommended to Ranendu by: The author
The Girl from the Woods

First and foremost I would like to thank the author, Amar Shekhar for choosing me as one of the early reviewer for his book.
He also promptly sent me an advanced reader's copy and my experience with the book is just nice. However, as this is the début novel of Amar Sekhar, he will need to cross a long way to understand what love and life is. He is still very immature and this was reflected on every page that he wrote.

My view: It is a story of a young man, perhaps of an a
Manjish Adhikari
Thank you for the ARC! The book was good and I had a good time with it. I found the book to be a blend of discourse of photography and the love. What I liked about the books was the avid explanations of the details. Even though the plot has less to offer, it overcame this disadvantage through details. It surely could have been better. Nevertheless it was a very good attempt and a success i would say. Maybe you can learn from this and create a more solid and concrete story next time. All the best ...more
Shilpa bagla
Jun 13, 2015 rated it liked it
**** I received an ARC from the author in exchange of an honest review****

If you are a nature love and love adventure this book is for you. While simple, it vividly describes the beauty of Shimla but at places it was too detailed which was unnecessary. The relationship between the protagonists is portrayed quite nicely. Though the book had some faults, being the author's first book they can be overlooked. Overall the story was short and sweet without the unnecessary drama that sometimes make a
Chandan Ks
Aug 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Congratulations Amar Shekhar on your maiden novel.
Honestly i enjoyed reading the book.Though in the middle i felt the lack of grip on story but being the author's first book they can be ignored and hope Amar will bring out his best in his next book.
The ending though was quite unexpected leaving you wondering and i was expecting it to be like all ends well as in our high drama films but was impressed by the way it ended.
Congratulations once again Amar and all the best for your next novel.
Suhani
Aug 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The story is simple but yet captivating. The author has described even the minute details with great finesse. In his first book itself, the author has shown a lot of promise and I am eagerly looking forward to his next book. Congratulations to Amar Shekhar for giving us a delightful reading experience.
Vaibhav Rajput
Jun 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
While reading this novel, i saw my past shimmering before my eyes. Though I'm not much of emotional story reader, but this novel kept me spell bound from starting till end.

I think story could have been further extended as to what happens between those two, do their path cross again?
Amit Raaz
Vikas Asthana
Aug 04, 2015
Abc
Dec 12, 2015
Amar Shekhar, a passionate adventurer and travel enthusiast, is cofounder of HardyHawks Adventures. His pursuit for adventure began from schooling at Sainik School, Bhuabaneshwar. However, his yearning interest in writing over mother nature began at IIIT-Bangalore. When not found traveling, he is found busy sharing his adventurous experiences on his personal blog trekkerpedia.com.

He is personally