Start by marking “What Could Possibly Go Wrong? (The Chronicles of St Mary's, #6)” as Want to Read:
What Could Possibly Go Wrong? (The Chronicles of St Mary's, #6)

What Could Possibly Go Wrong?

(The Chronicles of St Mary's #6)

Max is back! New husband, new job, and a training regime that cannot fail – to go wrong!

Take one interim Chief Training Officer, add five recruits, mix with Joan of Arc, a baby mammoth, a duplicitous Father of History, a bombed rat, Stone Age hunters, a couple of passing policemen who should have better things to do, and Dick the Turd. Stir well, bring to the boil – and w
Published November 19th 2015 by Accent Press (first published August 20th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about What Could Possibly Go Wrong?, please sign up.

Bradley
Jul 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oooooh kids... you gotta place nice or someone's gonna lose an eye or an arm. Play by Hoyle's Rules, at least! Oh gosh. I guess something went wrong.

This book had a whole bunch of great time-travel locations, some of which I'd give an arm to visit, too. To see the Neanderthals and Modern Humans coexisting and working together? See the harsh conditions and the Mammoths? Maybe sneak one back to the future? No, no, we wouldn't do that. Certainly not. That's against regs and watch your feet... it lo
Robin (Bridge Four)
Again Max finds herself hurtled through time where everything that could go wrong does but in totally unexpected ways and this time she has students with her. St. Mary’s will never be the same if any of the students actually make it to graduation.
“These days, people actually sought me out and asked me for advice on personal relationships, romantic problems, and social issues which, quite honestly, is a bit like asking an anorexic for recipes.”

Since Max is on the mend after all the trouble she
Trish
Jul 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I wanted to finish the book last night but around 1:30am I fell asleep several times so I gave up. Probably not a bad thing because the last few chapters were not only exciting and tragic, the very end left me grinning from ear to ear. :D

This book was one hell of a ride. Since St. Mary's loses so much personnel so often, they had to come up with a new training program. Max was put in charge of that while Peterson took over her job. She got 5 trainees right at the beginning and their "lessons" we
Hallie
That three might be a little harsh, but it'll be lost in the sea of 5-star ratings anyway, and is there for a reason, despite how wonderful many things in this book were. (This is the first novel I've listened to, after really liking the narrator on the short stories, which I'd read but were being offered free on Audible. I wish it were possible to give a separate rating for performance, as I loved it so much I may get 4 & 5 on audio although I have the ebooks already.)

I'm not sure any frien
Veronique
Aug 15, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016, stars-4-0
What could possibly go wrong?
What indeed?! I mean, hasn't Max learnt that You Never Should Say That! :O)

Anyway, another great instalment in the St Mary's adventures. Taylor is just amazing at turning seemingly dry historical events into vivid sequences, often very violent, always fascinating. In this instance, we have a trip to the Valley of the Kings and the Stone Age (Cro Magnons and Neanderthals co-existing, not forgetting mammoths of course), but also Herodotus, Jeanne d'Arc's execution, Vic
Emma
Nov 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Many laugh out loud moments as usual. A real smorgasbord of times and location. Max is such a fantastic character. In fact the whole cast are great. And as usual, the audio was fab! With this ending, it will interesting to see how life adjusts in the next volume.
Maria Dimitrova
If you've read any of the books in this series you'd know that this title is simply a challenge to fate. Every time I heard Max utter those words I knew that things will go from bad to worse. The St Mary's are just natural disaster waiting to happen. But damn they're funny. You just need to get used to them :)
Kaitlin
Feb 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one was so much fun!!!! It follows Max in a new role as training officer. She's in charge of the course for 5 new trainee historians as they try to settle in to the crazy world of St Marys.

What I found most enjoyable about this one is just how many jumps into the past we have and the way the characters keep being built upon. I've really really enjoyed getting to see some of the side characters come into their own and get backstories, and the new trainees are also a hoot :)

Great fun as eve
Richard Derus
Apr 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Some days are better than others. These days, the good ones are sufficiently distant from each other that I go looking for them. This book was purchased to make one of those journeys.

Success. Good day had. Opened to "List of Characters", got to "Henry Tudor__A man who would drink his own bathwater", had a long guffaw, and the pages turned and the chuckles got chuckled and the sniffs over the required tragedies got sniffed and Herodotus will absolutely never be the same in my eyes...then the last
Marjolein
Oct 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read all my reviews on http://urlphantomhive.booklikes.com

What Could Possibly Go Wrong?

Anyone asking this in relation to St Mary's must be either very brave or very stupid. The disaster magnets are back and the chaos will only be bigger this time as Max is set to train a new bunch of them. Lots of nice adventures in this one, but it is slightly darker then the previous one, I think.

While I've enjoyed all the novels in this series so far, it was not before this book that I fully realized how mu
Katherine
Jun 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2016, kindle
I KNEW IT I KNEW IT I KNEW IT I KNEW IT. *BOUNCES AROUND HAPPILY*

Much of this book hearkens back to the first, much to Dr. Bairstow's amusement. With Max and Peterson switching jobs we get to see Max in a new role, that of a teacher. In typical Maxwell fashion, though, she changes things up a bit and through the switch we get to see how much she has grown as a character. Assured in her role as a historian she now grapples with how to handle students - that fine line between nurturing and being a
Darlene
Apr 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another wonderful installment! I love how I feel as if I'm romping thru time and history with the gang from St. Mary's. It never crossed my mind that mammoth sh!t could be so brutal...ewwww. Could've easily listened to this in one sitting,but I wanted to take my time and make the experience last as long as possible.
Steven
Seriously, if you haven't read Just One Damned Thing After Another, move it to the top of your list. Oh, and prepare to binge, because this series is "unputdownable." :)
Denise
Nov 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting takes on lonely people and those who make mistakes (should they be condemned forever if they tried to live better going forward?) amidst the usual adventures.
Nicole
Jun 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: time-travel
Ok! I awoke this morning to find this title had arrived safely on my Kindle. I had planned an early morning swim, but like the team from St Mary's, anything I had planned quickly went astray, as I got myself stuck into the the latest chapter in the Chronicle of St Mary's and by lunchtime I was regretting that I had read it so fast! Thank goodness that there is a short story due out for Christmas or I would have to suffer withdrawal symptoms!

Well Max and the team from St Mary's are back with a ve
Wealhtheow
Oct 31, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor, sci-fi
Dr. Maxwell, feisty time traveling historian, is recovering from injuries incurred during her last adventure and as such is given the "safe" assignment of training the next group of would-be-time-traveling-historians. Of course something goes terribly wrong in every one of their time jumps, from accidentally stealing mammoths to discovering historians hiding out pretending to be historical figures. I do enjoy my time with the St. Mary's crew, who are always good for terrifying decision-making th ...more
Claire
Aug 14, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm undecided whether or not I enjoy this series. There's much to like about it, the time travel, the historians, the humour etc. But. The plots are reasonably repetitive, Max often acts like a total arsehole and every time they go on a mission, despite the oft stated non interference guidelines, they act like fucking amateurs. Every single time.
Trelawn
Oct 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this one. Max has five new trainees to handle. There are traitors in their midst and Rosie Lee has an emotional breakdown. And she's not the only one. This series honestly just keeps getting better.
Mark Harrison
Fun addition to a good series as Max trains a new group of time travelling historians. Mammoth hunts, Valley of the Kings, death of Joan of Arc, the defeat of Richard III and a Greek father of history who is not what they all expect. No new ideas but very good fun.
Kirsty ❤️
Oct 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Possibly my favourite one so far
Cal
Apr 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love these books! Pure escapism. Full review is available on my blog: calturnerreviews.wordpress.com
Kristen
St. Mary's never lets me down! I loved this as much as all the previous books.

This is one of my top 5 consistently favourite series ever, and each new book is a guaranteed five-star read. These book fabulously combine history, ripping-good action and drama, absolutely lunatic [but in the very best way!] nut-job characters, and so much dry British humour that you really need a transfusion of fluids by the end of any of the St. Mary's books!

Really, I have absolutely nothing bad to say about this o
Richard Eyres
Sep 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook_2016
This book i really enjoyed. Maybe its the school room (with a massive difference) type of story, or it was the historical locations visited, or how the characters are developing - whatever it is, i liked it.
This book sees Maxwell as a tutor - training 5 new recruits to be historians. Of course, not everything goes to plan, as you would expect for St Mary's.
I am going through these books very fast, and the next book is the last that has been released. Oh well, no option - i HAVE to start reading
puppitypup
Adventure/Romance So Funny!

These just get funnier and funnier. I love this series, so much so that I'm planning to re-read book one as soon as I finish. I don't believe I've ever done that with a series before.

This one has half a dozen bad words and no intimate scenes that I recall.
Mary  (Biblophile)
Max really should know Murphy's Law by now. What could possibly go wrong?......indeed! Adding to the usual nutty mix, Max takes on new recruits and mayhem happens. The world goes white many times in this installment as they jump to the Neanderthals to Egypt to Joan of Arc and several other locations to experience humor and pathos. Wonderful story-telling.
Luisa
Jan 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Some things I really didn't expect, that took me by surprise... The end didn't however, I was just patiently waiting for that to happen.
Madame Mona Lisa
Mar 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is such a great series. Loved how this one ended!!!
Kathrin
Jul 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: time-travel
Yet another good one in the “Chronicles of St. Mary’s” with a heck of a cliffhanger. As usual, I bought the audiobook even though I could get the digital version on Hoopla, this is just so much better with narration! This episode features deceit and more deceit and loads of cups of tea.
Rbucci
Jul 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just when you think you’ve read every possible scenario, the author comes up with something new and different.
Michael Campbell
This novel was fun and had a fair few interesting historical outings. There's plenty of clever dialogue and witty banter that often made me chuckle to myself.

For the past few books, I've been finding a fair number of consistency issues and plot holes. This, while irksome enough to be sure, isn't enough to turn me off from the series.

This could just be from my love of witty banter and clever dialogue. I do rather like some of the characters. The protagonist has developed nicely over the course o
Fantasy Buddy Reads: What Could Possibly Go Wrong [September 2018] 20 41 Sep 21, 2018 05:22AM
  • Voyage in Time (Out of Time, #9)
  • Agamemnon Frost and the House of Death (Agamemnon Frost, #1)
  • Agatha Heterodyne and the Siege of Mechanicsburg (Girl Genius, #12)
  • Once Upon a Time in the Weird West
  • The Fated Sky (Lady Astronaut, #2)
  • The Diamond Conspiracy (Ministry of Peculiar Occurrences, #4)
  • The Squirrel on the Train (Oberon’s Meaty Mysteries, #2)
  • Solar Storm
  • The Gem Thief
  • The Wrong Unit
  • Phase Shift (Chaos Station, #5)
  • Chain Reaction (8th Wing, #2)
  • After the Crown (The Indranan War, #2)
  • The Adventures of Tom Stranger, Interdimensional Insurance Agent (Tom Stranger, Interdimensional Insurance Agent, #1)
  • Mission to Mahjundar
  • The Infinity Cage (TimeRiders, #9)
  • A Dark Heart (The Elders and Welders Chronicles #2)
  • The Flowers of Vashnoi (Vorkosigan Saga, #14.1)
Jodi Taylor is, and always has been, a complete history nut. It takes vast amounts of chocolate to get her out of bed for anything after 1485. And if it's raining, there's no chance.

Habitually tongue-tied when asked to talk about herself, she gets round this by describing herself as tall, incredibly beautiful, witty and technically proficient.

The Chronicles of St Mary's -

Just One Damned Thing Aft

The Chronicles of St Mary's (10 books)
  • Just One Damned Thing After Another (The Chronicles of St Mary's, #1)
  • A Symphony of Echoes (The Chronicles of St. Mary's, #2)
  • A Second Chance (The Chronicles of St. Mary's, #3)
  • A Trail Through Time (The Chronicles of St. Mary's #4)
  • No Time Like the Past (The Chronicles of St. Mary's, #5)
  • Lies, Damned Lies, and History (The Chronicles of St Mary's, #7)
  • And the Rest is History (The Chronicles of St Mary’s, #8)
  • An Argumentation of Historians (The Chronicles of St Mary's, #9)
  • Hope for the Best (The Chronicles of St. Mary's, #10)
“Everyone needs rules. After all, how can you break what doesn’t exist? Rules give anarchy something to aim at” 28 likes
“She said nothing in a manner that conveyed volumes. I said nothing in a manner that I hoped conveyed my complete innocence. She said nothing in a manner that conveyed her disbelief in my complete innocence. I said nothing in a manner that conveyed my hurt at this lack of trust in me. She said nothing in a manner that effortlessly conveyed the message that Dr Bairstow wished to see me at his earliest convenience and to collect Dr Peterson while I was at it.” 11 likes