Start by marking “Unboxed” as Want to Read:

Unboxed

Unboxed is about four teenagers who come together after several months apart. In previous years, they had put together a time capsule about their best summer with a friend who was dying. Now that their friend has passed, they reunite to open the box.
Published August 15th 2016 by Barrington Stoke

To ask other readers questions about Unboxed, please sign up.
Daria It depends on how mature they are. There is some swearing and mature content in this book. But it's great for teens

Warda
Jun 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Short, but meaningful reads are the best!
Maddie
Jan 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This one got me right in the feels. I'm a sucker for stories that are primarily focused on friendship, and the dynamics between Alix, Ben, Zara and Dean had so much to offer! I loved the diversity, the trust and the general hopefulness I felt while reading. Although I felt extremely emotional reading the letters they sent to their past selves, and what their best friend Millie wrote, who couldn't be with them, it's that emotional connection that really makes this a five star read.

An absolutely
Ben Babcock
Dec 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
I want to teach high school because I want to stay young forever. Seriously. There is nothing like spending your day around teenagers, feeling their energy and their enthusiasm, being exposed to their perspectives in the world. At the moment my teaching career has shifted sideways, and I’m working with adults who need their high school diplomas (and that has its own rewards). Even then, I can still stay young by reading YA.

I started writing reviews on Goodreads when I was 18, when I could still
Bee (Heart Full of Books)
This was everything I love in one book. It's mostly about friendship - specifically lost friendship, where everyone comes back after five years and sort of works out why they left and talked about what they missed, I seriously love stuff that romanticises the past like this, because I do it ALL THE TIME. But what's even better is that this book was so full of hope, like, you could tell that this wasn't it for these characters, they weren't doing this for closure, they're best friends.

It was so
Lauren James
Jul 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Update: I interviewed Non about UNBOXED here: http://www.barringtonstoke.co.uk/blog...

I JUST FINISHED. Non made me cry, goddammit. I never cry at books! It was so beautiful. She's done such a good job of making me really care about the characters in such a short length of time.

Alix and Ben and Dean and Zara are just wonderful and complicated (and Ash is officially The Worst.)

God I want a million sequels and a movie, that was so wonderful. I want to read it again from Millie's point of view. I wa
Darran Stobbart
Aug 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Oh. Oh my heart. Consistently the best voice in YA. Hands down. Non is raw, honest, sharp & smart. She writes the way teenagers talk, & she understands that the power of friendship is a fundamental love.

Full review: "A short, punchy story that aims directly for the heart and nestles in there for life"

Stacey (prettybooks)
I didn't know what Unboxed was about before I picked it up at this year's Young Adult Literature Convention (YALC). It's Non Pratt, it's always going to be amazing! But Unboxed is a breathtaking novella about four teenagers who come together after a tragedy. It's about the power of close friendship. It's about letting go of secrets kept from the people who know you best.

Alix, Ben, Dean and Zara have not seen each other in months, but a few years ago – before Millie passed away – they created a t
Charlie
Mar 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I had the huge privilege of reading an early draft of Unboxed, and at the time it captured my heart, made me fall in love with this band of dispersed best friends, and came with a huge helping of relatable feelings from the main character Alix. Her story of coming out to those closest to her is a story I have lived and it means the world to me to see it put down on the page with so much respect and integrity.

Revisiting Unboxed now in its final form is a joy, and feels exactly how it should, like
Michelle (Fluttering Butterflies)
Loved it. In tears on one page and the next I burst into actual LOLs at 'lesbian napkins'
Amy
Sep 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-owned
I loved this book! So good!
George Lester
Aug 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-july-2016
Wonderful, joyous, my poor heart, it bursts!
Kathy - Books & Munches
May 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2018
This is a very simple, very short LGBTQ-story where high school friends reconnect to honor one of their friends. Secrets are revealed, friendships rekindled.

It was a gorgeous read; I loved it. I do wish it would've been.. I don't know. Longer? More detailed?
In the end this book shows us a couple of hours in our characters' lives, in 140 pages. I like how it is, but I also believe I would've liked a more elaborate version where it lasts a couple of days or weeks? [This is my brain trying to figur
Mika
Nov 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Mika by: George Lester
Incredibly touching book. It has a indie movie type of feel, but with a lot more heart and substance. Well rounded characters (Ben and Dean, fuck, you owned my heart so fucking much) and beautiful yet simple writing. Non Pratt surely is an author to look out for. I'm sure she'll keep doing great things, and I'll be there to read it.

(George Lester, if you stumble upon this review, I love you for talking about the book in your videos. You were the one who convinced me to read it because of your ho
Katey Lovell
Apr 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
This short read about a reunion of friends getting together after the death of one of their group is a heart-wrenching tale of memories, secrets and nostalgia. It made me want to reach out and hold my closest friends tightly, and Non Pratt's story-telling and characterisation is divine. I highly recommend this YA/crossover read.
ThatBookGal
Jan 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
I've read a few of Non's books, and this was by far my favourite. It was short, and sweet, with an important message to tell. Don't hide who you are, keep in touch with the people you love, live your best life.
Katie
Jun 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017-reads, lgbt
this was short but packed an emotional punch (straight in the nostalgia related feelings) for such a simple story. it made me want to go back in time and reconnect with the friends i had when i was 13/14/15 and make sure i took more stock of the memories i had with them.
Ella Pither
Feb 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely loved this book, couldn’t put it down!
A heartwarming story about 4 strangers who were once bestfriends, rekindling their friendship through a memory box. Also showing how even though they haven’t spoke in 5 years things can easily go back to how they once were, even if everyone isn’t there.
Very meaningful, definitely should read!
Heather
Jul 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Five friends. One time capsule of their best summer. They knew Millie was going to pass away, but months after it happens, it's time to reunite to open the box. But a lot can change in five years.

For one, you may end up an emotional wreck. This hurts. It pangs every memory you have of teen friends that you've grown distant from and wonder about, it makes you look back at how much you've changed since the age of 13 (hopefully, like them, with better hair), and where everyone has ended up.

And I sa
Lizzie (Littlehux) Huxley-Jones
Unboxed (2016) is Non's first book for dyslexic friendly publisher Barrington Stoke, and follows a group of friends who come together to retrieve a time capsule they had hidden on their school premises. However, in the years that have passed since its creation, their group has gone from five to four. As they open the box, they find a new addition from Millie, commanding the four to read aloud all their letters from all those years ago, and to share their deepest, darkest fears with each other.

T
Leslie
Sep 22, 2016 rated it liked it
This is a short book so some of my complaints might be mostly connected to wanting more development.
I like how the author eventually connects the friends more tightly toward the end but it took awhile to get there and I wanted more about Millie (the illusive dead girl who everyone cares about.) I was curious about her and how she was the thread between them. Had this book been longer, 4 stars might have done it. There are some nice moments of acceptance and caring among friends.
Jessica (Jess Hearts Books)
Oct 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Such a little gem of a book about friendship, grief, growing up, and promises.
Rebecca
A really lovely and raw exploration of friendships and lost friendships. And a beautiful book. I can't stop looking at that shiny foil and night-sky colour scheme.
Kirsty
Mar 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ukya, uk-author
Touchingly poignant and thoroughly enjoyable read.
femke.
Jan 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
5 stars

In this book we witness the reunion of 4, once inseperable, friends. When they were 13 they made a box to look into when they would turn 13. Shortly after the making of this box, they seperated and lost contact. Now with the 5th friend died, they fulfill her last wish: open the box together.

Utterly sweet, heartbreaking, cute and heartwarming. That is what this book is. It is wonderfully written and has a very important topic. It shows the importance of friendship and how much you can grow
Karen Barber
Aug 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Unboxed

Sometimes the things you believe in remain the same. At 13, how would you know? How many of us would like the chance to get to look back on the things we said and did as teens?
Unboxed is a simple story that focuses on a group of friends. They haven’t seen each other for a while, but when one of their group dies they fulfil the promise to open the box they put together one special summer.
Initially - perhaps because of the target audience - this felt we were glossing over things. However, b
Katie
Aug 08, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: library-books
This book was OK. I didn't feel very connected to the characters. The story was a good idea of reopening a box that these kids had hidden 5 years ago, they come together again after one member of their old friendship group dies of cancer.
But all the parts of ' crying' and 'in tears' just felt forced I thought the only part the characters would of cried about was reading the final letter (millies letter the girl who died)
All in all the book was good and enjoyable, quick to get through. It also ha
Kirsty
This is a really short and quick read. A group of friends who have lost touch meet to open a box that they hid five years ago.

I enjoyed the portrayal of friendship in this book and how despite not speaking for a few years these friends were still able to easily interact with one another. This was an enjoyable read, however, it isn't a new favourite. The story is extremely short so it was difficult to feel connected to the characters as they weren't that developed. I did like the author's writin
Nea
Oct 17, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: owned
I thought this book would be much more interesting than it turned out to be. Of course it was a bit emotional, but I found the writing annoying and the book was too short for character development. I sadly didn't get to know any of them. That was a disappointment. However, I can appreciate that it was a book about friendship and loss. That is an interesting topic that usually isn't brought up in YA books.
Lily
Jun 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
There are three words to sum up this little novella for me: grief, nostalgia, and friendship. All of which I am a total sucker for. I wasn't sure if I was gonna cry but I found myself at the end sobbing, which now I think of it is kind of inevitable. What I found incredible was how Non Pratt in 140 pages managed to make me connect so much to these four people and really dig into their dynamic as much as she could. I can't wait to pick up more of her work!
Bex
Nov 08, 2017 rated it really liked it

How Non managed to squeeze so much emotion and amazingness into just 140 pages is beyond me. Pure genius - I loved every moment of reading this book.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• A Change Is Gonna Come
  • My Box-Shaped Heart
  • Diary of a Mall Girl
  • Air (Blue #2)
  • Keep the Faith (Faith, #2)
  • The Worst Girlfriend in the World
  • Othergirl
  • The Baby
  • Indigo Donut
  • Songs About A Boy (Songs About A Girl, #3)
  • Love Bomb (Ladybirds, #2)
  • Unconventional
  • Della Says: OMG!
  • This Beats Perfect (This Beats Perfect #1)
  • Salvage
  • Only Love Can Break Your Heart
  • Dead Romantic
  • You Don't Know Me
Non Pratt started her career working on non-fiction activity books at Usborne, before becoming an editor at Catnip Publishing. Her debut novel TROUBLE shortlisted for the YA Book Prize and the Branford Boase Award, with rights sold to the USA, Germany and Brazil. Her second novel, REMIX came out in 2015 and a novella, UNBOXED for Barrington Stoke in 2016. Her third novel with Walker Books, TRUTH O ...more
“I know why we all fell apart, that's just what happens. But things that fall apart can be put back together, right? Even if there's a piece missing.” 2 likes
“But the thing about knowing you're about to die is that you spend a lot of time thinking about being alive. Way more than you do if you're actually going to live - living takes up so much brain space that it squished out the other stuff. The important things. Like when you feel like the best version of yourself. Who was there when you did. Whether you've been chasing that version of yourself ever since and never found her.” 1 likes