Start by marking “Wolves of Black Pine (The Wolfkin Saga #1)” as Want to Read:
Wolves of Black Pine  (The Wolfkin Saga #1)

Wolves of Black Pine

(The Wolfkin Saga #1)

An ancient civilization long hidden from humanity is on the brink of chaos and war.

Peaceful for thousands of years, the wolfkin clans are mysteriously losing packmates, kidnapped and killed by unknown foes. Among the dead is Luca, youngest grandson of the two most powerful wolves in the Northern Clans, but he is forced into a half-life, hidden in the far northern wilds of
Published June 30th 2015

To ask other readers questions about Wolves of Black Pine, please sign up.
S.J. Himes Its restricted due to being on Kindle Unlimited, so it can't be sold online unless it's through Amazon/Kindle.

Start your review of Wolves of Black Pine (The Wolfkin Saga #1)
Shin Mon Thway
Third reread: 26th Mar 2018
Third time actually is the charm!
😉

Ok .. so please skip this book if you are looking for a typical shifter MM romance full of lusty, sexy smut. This is a fairly long novel which is finely orchestrated with very vivid details and a rich story line. Usually, I can finish a novel in one day unless it's really long like ASOIAF and it took me almost 3 days to finish this novel since I was savoring every part of it by reading them again. Don’t get me wrong .. when it finall
Elise ✘ a.k.a Ryder's Pet ✘
Forth re-read: 28.03.2020
This book is so good. The only reason for not having more stars is simply because it is quite long, yet I wanted more. The beginning of this book always kills me. I start tearing up even before it has happened. It's just so sad. And the middle. I just brings me to tears. That being said, I just had to re-read again. I couldn't help it. Oh and will we ever know what/where Josiah is/doing?

Third re-read: 20.11.2019
I couldn't myself with another re-read after I read
Barbara➰
Reread November 2018

Well considering this is the third time I've read this in about a year, this is definitely my go-to book when I want a good mate story. It's just exactly how I like them. I can't wait for more.

Reread May 2018

I think this is my absolute favorite PNR series ever. Ghost and Kane are perfect heroes. The world building is phenomenal. I love that they are soulmates and how they stand by each other always. I’m hoping there’s more to come soon.

Originally read November 201
Dia
5 big stars!!!
Loved it! Loved it! Loved it SO much!

I know I am late to this party. So many of my friends already read it. But I am super happy I finally did!

Thanks SO much, Shin for the rec!!!

It's my first book by this author. As I am not a fan of paranormal, shapeshifters and all, I didn't plan on reading it, but the curiosity won. And I am so happy I gave it a try because it was SO good!!!
This author created such a sweet love story and a very unique world. I absolutely adored the soulbond! K
Jenni Lea
This book consumed me.

When I first decided to read this book, I had little expectations. I thought I was going to read a light, fluffy shifter story akin to most others that are circulating around the genre. Not so. Instead, I got an epic story full of adventure, loss, love, deceit and heroism.

I was gobsmacked.

Once I started reading I couldn't stop. I put everything else to the side so I could devour the words written here. This book grabbed hold of me and wouldn't let go until I finished ever
Jewel
Feb 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Jewel by: Jenni Lea
What took me so long to read this, I will never know. Fucking loved this book. Now onto book 2!
Deborah
Oct 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Re-read 20th - 22nd August 2019

I’ve been wanting to re-read since my first read. I distracted myself with Beacon Hill series (which I have re-read several times). I told myself I was waiting for the third book. But I couldn’t wait any longer.
It’s just as good (and by good I mean brilliant) as I remembered and it’s straight onto the next one. Which if I remembered rightly cost me several finger nails and bottles of wine.

Original review.

At last an intelligent addictive shifter series.

Once again I
DarienMoya
~WHO LET THE WOLVES OUT~

4.5

Whoa, whoa, whoa. What a ride this was, a magical wolfy ride of epic proportions. I can say with honesty I’ve never read a gay shifter book where the characters are so woven into the world building. It wasn’t just about, you’re my mate and I claim you its a world of magic, politics, friendship, and family. I went in with a slight trepidation thinking it would take me at least a week to read or I might DNF at some point. Oh ever did I play myself!! I devoured this in a
Lorraine Lesar
Oct 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
OMG that word detailing...........
With over 2,300 reviews on Goodreads alone (and mostly 5* which I totally agree with), what can I add that someone hasn't already mentioned? The answer is simple......nothing.
I can't add anymore value to what has already been said to this amazing and very imaginative storyline. I was enthralled throughout.
This marvellous party has been going on for some time and I was fashionably late in arriving, but I'm so glad I received the invitation, because this is one p
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
Exciting Kindle freebie, 1/24/18!
Bev
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Well well well, what a surprise this was. The world building is on the wordy side and although this slowed things down a bit for the first 20%, I was fascinated with the world the author was building. The shaman gifts, the pack links, The Voice, The Speaker, I could go on and on. Bloody genius!

What a refreshing change to read a shifter book that's got more story than smut. Don't get me wrong, Kane and Ghost were hot together but I loved that there was a fantastic, clever and unique story i
Jennifer☠Pher☠
I couldn’t put this down.

I’m not sure what it was exactly about this book but it grabbed me and would not let go.

I honestly should have been frustrated and rolling my eyes but I wasn’t. What should have felt like too many pages and too many words and too long to get there did not. If anything my heart just raced and raced and I couldn’t wait and I loved the anticipation.

Yes. That was the best part of this book. How it made me feel like I was on the edge of my seat. Exciting.

I couldn’t put this
Lyn❤Loves❤Listening #AUDIOBOOKADDICT
5 plus RIVETING STARS!!!

The book’s summary had me curious about the story. I was only going to check out the sample, because I was pretty sure it would be too angsty and too long to hold my interest. Yeah, right!!! I friggin’ loved every word, every page, every damn thing about this book!!! The author is an incredible storyteller, and her writing is beautiful.

When I read a romance novel, I want it to be all or mostly about the MCs. With this book, it’s not just about the MCs, but that was okay b
Lisazj1
Awww HELL naw, she’s not leaving me here!!! *runs to read Wolf of the Northern Star!*

Loved it loved it LOVED IT, every damn thing!

Except the cliffhanger. 😒

*dustcloud*
Susan
Nov 06, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: mm, shifters, hurt-comfort
Let me start by saying I absolutely LOVED the sweet relationship between Alpha Kane and his adorable Luca/Ghost. But unfortunately this book is incredibly long and the relationship only plays a small roll in it.

This book started with some explanation about the Alphas, betas and shamans this world has. Kane is the Alpha heir and one of the few to have The Voice. He can compel any wolf to do his bidding. Except a shaman. Shamans are always the sweetest, gentlest of wolves with great magic without
Denise H.
**** If you like werewolves, you must read this one !****
This is a beautiful werewolf saga, magnificently written, intricately woven, and deliriously stunning. The various characters range from divine to evil.

I was hooked immediately by this writing, the anticipation. Yes, it's a long tale, but so worth it.

I loved Luca first as the sweet grandchild of the Shaman, and later as Shaman Ghost.
He has an innate gift, which mimics his beloved grandfather, Grey Shadow, common sense and restraint wi
books_and_brew
Holy hell was this book slow going.

If ever there were a shifter book to make me want to quit the genre this was it. The premise is what drew me in. I loved this idea of a soulmate being thought dead for years (15 years to be exact) and yet he is still out there trying to find his way home.

That all sounded good and lovely but our MC's don't even find each other again until the 50% mark and its a loooooong 50% let me tell you. Not only that, we get a history lesson in the beginning that reminded
haletostilinski
This was amazing, I love this author so much!

RTC

~*~

Wow! What a journey this book takes you on, from start to finish.

This book starts when Luca, later called Ghost, is 5 years old, and Kane is 30....except they barely meet, and Luca is just a sweet kid at his grandfather's little event where he's telling all the kids about the history of the werewolves, and Luca keeps talking in the most adorable way because he's heard it all before.

Kane is in the back of the tent to just get away from it all fo
Melissa
4-26-18
This is on a countdown deal at Amazon. On sale for .99cents for approximately 3 more days.

2017 Review
Yep, another shifter story. :-D

I really enjoyed this. I recently picked this one up from Amazon since it was free (I don't think it is anymore). You know when you finish a story and you are not at home so you look thru your kindle to find something to read? So I picked this :) . I do want to warn you that the editing was not done well; there are a lot o
Mandapanda
Jul 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: various-romance
Entertaining m/m shifter romance. This is a fairly long novel rich in detail and mysticism about the shifter world. It reminded me a little of Lupa Garneau's Children of the Shairobi series. The MC's are separated while Luca is still a child and don't meet up again till 50% into the story. Once they are together though sparks and soulbonds fly. I liked all the pack and found the conflict to be an interesting take on the usual "evil humans capturing and testing the noble shifters" storyline. Ther ...more
Bo
Oct 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The world building in this book was nothing short of stellar!! The beautiful imagery and the emotions the author invokes is all encompassing. I laughed and I cried buckets. Gray Shadow's sacrifice was so beautiful. Wow. Let me just say... I'm not liking Caius very much right now. Amazing read!
Helen
Oct 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
On to favourites shelf , and merrily steaming on to the next book !
Jaya
Was-interesting-enough-to-keep-reading-but-it-all-could-have-been-said-with-less-details-and-repetition-2.25-starred-read
The sequel is even longer?!?
Christine
Jan 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Well that was amazing! Never thought I would come across another shifter story that gave me the same kind of feels that Wolfsong did and then this book comes across my path.

It was long but I never felt like it was dragging. The pace was perfect and there was always something important happening in every scene.

From the opening words this story just filled me warmth. The dynamics of the wolves, their history, their magic, the way they treasured the cubs etc...

Kane and Luca were so cute together.
Al *the semi serial series skipper*
Nov 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mm
Ever read one those books that is so good that you spend a couple of minutes thinking of how to phrase your review then just giving up because words can't explain how good it was.

This is that book.

For a more coherent review, read Shin's review.
Renée
Oct 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Interesting story, but badly in need of an editor. I skimmed so many paragraphs of this book because it was just too LOOOONG with filler.
Ariana
May 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is certainly a book with a difference.

I loved …

- the fantastic world building – the author has put a huge amount of thought into this!
- The multiple POVs work really well here – this felt like watching a movie.
- Kane, the gentle, responsible but powerful alpha. He’s a dream of an alpha come true, although he hasn’t reached his potential yet.
- Luca/Ghost, the shaman who has such a sweet nature, is my total favourite - his innate goodness is touching, his spectacular powers are awesome.
- Thei
Line
It has taken me over 2 months to finish this one, and I think it explains my rating.
I like Himes's writing and her The Necromancer's Dance-series is great. But this one dragged for me.
I think it comes down to mood, and there were some things I wasn't prepared for:
-The evil guys were REALLY evil
-The backstabbing wolves made me fucking ANGRY
-The LONG separation
-And the almost child-like Ghost/Luca (in general) having sex with Kane

The last point especially, is a knife-edge balance, and it almost c
Jo * Smut-Dickted *
I'm one of the one's for whom this worked absolutely flawlessly when all is said and done. It's long, it can be long winded at times - but the richness of the story, the world, and the people was so far in my head I had a jolt to go back to reality after each burst of reading. I finally gave up and read most of the night to finish. This is epic - and well worth a read!
Nazanin
Aug 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.75 stars. The writing is solid (even though there's too much "telling" for my taste) but the insta-love was anticlimactic. It prevented me from enjoying the intimate scenes between our MCs, so yeah. A bit of angst would have been welcomed *shrugs* 🙄 I'm still going to read the next book.

• The Prince's Consort (Bred for Love, #1)
  • The Border (The Knight and the Necromancer #2)
  • The Alpha's Warlock (Mismatched Mates #1)
  • The Capital (The Knight and the Necromancer #1)
  • The Sea (The Knight and the Necromancer #3)
  • How to Vex a Vampire (VRC: Vampire Related Crimes, #1)
  • The Wolf at the Door (Big Bad Wolf, #1)
  • The Alpha and His King (Kincaid Pack #1)
  • Wolf Lost (The Wolves of Kismet #1)
  • A Ferry of Bones & Gold (Soulbound, #1)
  • A Crown of Iron & Silver (Soulbound, #3)
  • The Enchanter's Flame (The Ellwood Chronicles #1)
  • Wolf Found (The Wolves of Kismet, #2)
  • All Souls Near & Nigh (Soulbound, #2)
  • The Wolf at Bay (Big Bad Wolf, #2)
  • A Vigil in the Mourning (Soulbound, #4)
  • Strength of the Pack (The Tameness of the Wolf, #1)
  • Thrown to the Wolves (Big Bad Wolf, #3)
I am currently working on BHS#5, a BHS spinoff series, and the second book of the Realms of Love series.

If you have questions for me, and want an answer sooner rather than later, find me on Facebook or Twitter. Social media links on my website, along with a FAQs page for the most common questions I get asked.

Current writing cluster titles are available on my Works in Progress page at my website.

The Wolfkin Saga (2 books)
  • Wolf of the Northern Star (The Wolfkin Saga #2)

News & Interviews