Start by marking “The Spanish Patriot” as Want to Read:
The Spanish Patriot

The Spanish Patriot

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  14 ratings  ·  6 reviews
Some fly to war. Others flee it. No one is safe.

When the British army is sent into Spain to help expel Napoleon’s invaders, nothing goes as expected. Not for London newsman Sam Kerr, hunting a story that will win him the editor’s chair, who discovers one that could wreck his career. Not for the Wakefield family, loyalist refugees from America seeking peace among people of
Published September 1st 2015 by Wondrous Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Spanish Patriot, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Spanish Patriot

really liked it 4.00  ·

Peggy Geiger
Genre: Adult Fiction, History

The setting is Corunna, Spain, the year is 1808. An American loyalist refugee family, the Wakefield's, immigrated to Spain after the Revolutionary War. They operate the only printing shop in town. Louisa Wakefield, Lou for short, works with her father on the printing press, but she really wants to write the news.

The British army has been sent to Spain in support of Spanish troops trying to expel Napoleon's invading army. Sam Kerr, a British reporter from London, has
LuAnn
Aug 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Bring your A-game to reading The Spanish Patriot.

Let me explain. I had had a rough go the day I started The Spanish Patriot the first time. So I waited until the next day and started over.

The Spanish Patriot is as richly worded and told as any book I've read about war. And it has the added benefit of being a historical novel, set in 1808. Most of the books I've read with war as a backdrop involve more advanced weaponry.

War in any age brings out the best and the worst in people. And the best and
Jeremy Reppy
Aug 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
The Spanish Patriot is a very enjoyable work of historical fiction. The author does a very good job of describing the chaos and ineptitude of the British campaign in Spain, with inadequate planning, lack of good relations and coordination with the Spanish, and the chaos that comes with trying to get accurate information at a time when communication of news was not the swiftest and those in power tried to spin the news to fit their agenda (still common today).

Every good work of historical fiction
John A
Aug 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The Spanish Patriot tells quite a few stories I hadn’t heard in fiction before, including the British army’s first try to topple Napoleon in Spain and the fate of Loyalists kicked out of America after its revolutionary war. What an army in a foreign country has to contend with is vividly portrayed, as are a bevy of characters, military and civilian, Spanish and British.

The fast-paced story keeps you reading, with some events that seem almost impossible but are actually taken from the historical
Heather Osborne
Nov 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The Spanish Patriot by Nicky Penttila is probably one of the most well-researched historical fiction novels I’ve read in quite some time. It covers a period of history I had little knowledge about. The characters are deep, flawed, but also admirable in their ambitions. I would certainly recommend this novel for anyone wanting to explore a different part of history!

I was provided with a free copy for review.
Susie James
Mar 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
My copy of "The Spanish Patriot", won via Goodreads, arrived posthaste! I had a couple of false starts before I settled amiably into this unusual historical novel about the Brits, the Spanish, and the elusive, brutal days of Napoleon's attempt to take over Europe, early 1800s. I was drawn to the teaser that informed potential readers of the main characters' profession or avocations as well as an unusual frame of historical reference. I was very much rewarded as I got into this story, which autho ...more
Destiny Brown
Nov 11, 2015
Diana
Jun 22, 2015
Nicky Penttila
Jun 02, 2015 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Angela Sciurca
Jul 21, 2015
Teddy Elizabeth
Jul 21, 2015
Historical Fiction: New HF set in Corunna, Spain, 1808 1 5 Sep 01, 2015 07:57AM
Advanced Copies f...: ARCs Available - Historical Fiction Novel 1 12 Jun 01, 2015 11:33AM
I write stories with adventure and ideas, history and love. I enjoy coming up with stories that are set in faraway cities and countries, because then I *must* travel there, you know, for research. I live in Maryland with my reading-mad husband and amazing rescue cat. Chattiest on Twitter, @NickyPenttila; also at nickypenttila.com.