Start by marking “Agatha's First Case: An Agatha Raisin Mystery (Agatha Raisin Mysteries)” as Want to Read:
Agatha's First Case: An Agatha Raisin Mystery (Agatha Raisin Mysteries)

Agatha's First Case: An Agatha Raisin Mystery

(Agatha Raisin #short story)

At age twenty six, Agatha Raisin has already come a long way. She has clawed her way up since leaving the Birmingham slum where she was born. She's lost her Birmingham accent, run away from her drunken husband, and found a job at a public relations office as a secretary. Then her boss asks Agatha to go to the home of Brian Devese to tell him that he is soon going to be arr

Published August 11th 2015 by Minotaur Books (first published August 6th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Agatha's First Case, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Anna Because it's a short story, not a book. Just an extra.

Start your review of Agatha's First Case: An Agatha Raisin Mystery (Agatha Raisin Mysteries)
Cyndi
Jan 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Agatha. She's young and frightened. But no one will know it. She's ambitious. To those who don't know her she's, "Scary Agatha." To those who know her she has a heart of gold.
In this small story she meets a murder suspect who she feels is innocent. As the story progresses we see her get her feet on the ground and start running. Great story!!
TL
Apr 24, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This was a rec from my Facebook group when I asked for light/humorous reads. I was a bit confused on overdrive app as to the order of the books since they didn't mark em. the series online, After looking up I decided to try this one since it was a prequel to the whole thing.

Wasn't very impressed.

It was very rushed and the writing felt stiff,with more telling than showing. I felt no interest or attachment to anyone involved. (Yes, it is a short story but I've had shorter ones than this get me inv
Meg
Aug 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
A short, easy read which highlights how Agatha Raisin began her PR and sleuthing careers.
Dagny
Apr 25, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: beaton-m-c
It was really strange to see a young Agatha at twenty-six years.

This short story would only have been two stars, but two scenes near the end (one especially delightful) which had nothing to do with the actual mystery made it worthwhile for me.
Sharon Barrow Wilfong
Beaton is not the most brilliant detective writer in the world, although she certainly seems to be popular. Her heroine is not the greatest example of human kind either, but if you like soap opera story lines along with a murder, she's not a bad way to spend an hour or two.

Or exactly one hour and a half. That is how long it took me to listen to this story as I drove from Texas to Florida. I started it in Jackson Mississippi and finished around Hattiesburg. It was the fourth of July and I finishe
Una Tiers
Dec 30, 2018 rated it it was ok
Back when Agatha and James were married, I would head over to the bookstore to get each new release. But, now, it's bye bye Beaton. While I fully acknowledge some series cannot go on forever, this one has disappointed me for the last two books. Some people question whether or not Beaton is even writing the books.
This is a whole story flashback to Agatha's youth. Instead of moving ups the stakes, the problem is solved miraculously in the same sentence in which it was introduced.
Not recommended.
Kim
Aug 03, 2019 rated it liked it
It was interesting to see Agatha's character develop. I think the first book did a better job of her characterization than this short story, but it was a fun read. I especially liked how the ending was foreshadowing the first book (I don't think that's a spoiler, as it has nothing to do with the case).

A fun, quick read.
Leigh
A fun prequel to the Agatha Raisin series, the story reveals how Agatha got her start, in PR as well as how she started her own business and made a success of it. Working for a bully of a boss, Agatha heads out to see their latest client, who her boss doesn't want to work with him. He is accused of murdering his wife, a "trophy wife" as Agatha calls her. Instead of dumping him as a client, Agatha suddenly finds herself going into business on her own, and investigating the murder herself. Much to ...more
Heidi Burkhart
Dec 01, 2017 rated it did not like it
This book was written as a prequel to the Agatha Raisin mysteries that I am so fond of.

I found it very disappointing. Why? Because this was written in the vein of the film version of the stories. In the movie version Agatha is tall, thin and young, and very, very clever. In the book version she is always fighting the pounds, going to the spa to fix herself up, and trying to cover up her poor upbringing through a cloud of her cigarette smoke. I love the book Agatha whereas the film version was a
Jim
Very much an origin sketch of a plucky young woman who is making her way up in the world & doing what she has to within her rules. Very British, well narrated. I would have liked it better if it had been fleshed out a bit more. Still, it's a good introduction to the series, I think. I doubt I'll be interested in reading much of it, but I do like the Hamish MacBeth series so far, another by this author. I think Dunn's Daisy Darymple series has filled this small niche in my world, though. ...more
Purple Iris
2.5

I started this thinking it was a full-length novel and actually the first book in the series.
Melissa
Mar 20, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
Goofy little short story featuring a young Agatha. I had to listen since I've followed the series and didn't know that this sidecar existed. It was only an hour long.
Alex Knipp
Jul 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
So fun and witty. Love the protagonist and hope to read more of these mysteries!
Nov 09, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: cosy-mystery
Bof! A short - very short story about Agatha's arrival from Birmingham to London, and how she managed to set up her PR agency by solving a crime that, as usual, baffled the police. It would seem to be a little morsel to whet one's appetite for the new novel "Dishing the Dirt". Well, I suppose it did answer a few questions that I had never even asked myself!
Suzanne
Feb 01, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
A fine short story about Agatha's start in the PR business.
Pauline
Dec 30, 2018 rated it it was ok
Years ago around the time Agatha married James, I would rush to buy the new books in hardcover. But now, bye bye Beaton. While I fully acknowledge some series cannot go on forever, this one has disappointed me for the last two books. Some people question whether or not Beaton is even writing the books.
Not recommended.
Madeleine (Top Shelf Text)
I put a hold on this audiobook, thinking that it was the first in the series and not realizing that it was a short story! I realized as soon as it downloaded that it must be a novella, so I decided to listen anyways. While the narrator was good, I really didn't care for the character of Agatha Raisin -- and the short mystery was not resolved well at all. I'm glad I listened, so that I know that this isn't a series for me.
Mortisha Cassavetes
Oct 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2018
This short story is the beginning of the Agatha Raisin series and I just love it. The story follows Agatha Raisin, a young woman starting over after leaving her drunken husband. Agatha meets Brian and thus her PR career begins. I really enjoy the writing style as it reminds me of a modern day Agatha Christie. I highly recommend this book as well as the series if you love a cozy mystery.
C-shaw
Jun 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
The first Agatha Raisin story. I like it a lot!
Linda
Nov 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
A charming book introducing Agatha Raisin with her first case.
Kris
Mar 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, mystery
This is a fun series of mysteries--"cozy" mysteries.

The more I listen to Agatha Raisin books, the more I like them.
Whitney Denney
Jun 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
A fun, short story sharing Agatha's origin story as a sleulth and a legendary PR professional.
Sarah Booth
Jan 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
How Aggie got her start in the business and a nose for butting in.
Mary
Jun 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
I was delighted to find this book. I love Agatha raisin mysteries and I had always wondered how she made the switch from PR agent to amateur detective. This book explains it wonderfully.
Gina
Jul 29, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was the perfect piece of enchanting fluff that I needed for my work day commute!
Carrie Doyle
Jan 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this. I listened to it on Audible was so good.
Melissa
A delightful distraction from my commute. Agatha Raisin always makes me laugh.
Debra Jo (Room of Required Reading Book Reviews)
Started watching the tv show so I decided to start the series. I feel like I will definitely enjoy this!
Evelyn
Aug 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just a short story giving a glimpse into how Agatha Raisin got her start into the world of sleuthing. I enjoyed it (actually read it before, but forgot and read it again). I would recommend it to fans of the Agatha Raisin mysteries. The solution was fairly simple (it is a short story, of course) but I liked it.
Denise
Dec 13, 2017 rated it liked it
It was a cute little novella that introduced you to MC Beaton's style and the inimitable Agatha Raisin. She reminded me of a British Stephanie Plumb. I enjoyed Alison Larkin's narrative skills
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Any1 Discussing This Short? 2 5 Jul 28, 2016 12:21AM

• The Intrigue (The Daughters of Mannerling, #2)
  • The Coming of Mr. Quin: A Short Story (Harley Quin)
  • The Folly (The Daughters of Mannerling, #4)
  • The Deception (The Daughters of Mannerling, #3)
  • The Flirt
  • Belinda Goes to Bath (The Traveling Matchmaker, #2)
  • The Desirable Duchess (Regency Royal, #14) (Dukes & Desires, #1)
  • The First Rebellion (The Waverley Women #1)
  • Minerva (The Six Sisters, #1)
  • Beatrice Goes to Brighton (The Traveling Matchmaker, #4)
  • Murder Cuts the Mustard (Beryl and Edwina Mystery, #3)
  • Cusp of Night (Hode's Hill, #1)
  • Plain Jane (A House for the Season, #2)
  • At the Sign of the Golden Pineapple (The Love and Temptation Series Book 2)
  • Animating Maria (The School for Manners, #5)
  • 18 Tiny Deaths: The Untold Story of Frances Glessner Lee and the Invention of Modern Forensics
  • The Romance (The Daughters of Mannerling, #5)
  • Lady Lucy's Lover (Regency Royal, #8) (Dukes & Desires, #6)
Like her on Facebook!

Learn more on her website!

Marion Chesney Gibbons

Marion Chesney was born on 1936 in Glasgow, Scotland, UK, and started her first job as a bookseller in charge of the fiction department in John Smith & Sons Ltd. While bookselling, by chance, she got an offer from the Scottish Da

Agatha Raisin (1 - 10 of 31 books)
  • The Quiche of Death (Agatha Raisin, #1)
  • The Vicious Vet (Agatha Raisin, #2)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Potted Gardener (Agatha Raisin, #3)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Walkers of Dembley (Agatha Raisin, #4)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Murderous Marriage (Agatha Raisin, #5)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Terrible Tourist (Agatha Raisin, #6)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Wellspring of Death (Agatha Raisin, #7)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Wizard of Evesham (Agatha Raisin, #8)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Witch of Wyckhadden (Agatha Raisin, #9)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Fairies of Fryfam (Agatha Raisin, #10)