Start by marking “Agatha's First Case: An Agatha Raisin Mystery (Agatha Raisin Mysteries)” as Want to Read:
Agatha's First Case: An Agatha Raisin Mystery (Agatha Raisin Mysteries)

Agatha's First Case: An Agatha Raisin Mystery

(Agatha Raisin short story)

At age twenty six, Agatha Raisin has already come a long way. She has clawed her way up since leaving the Birmingham slum where she was born. She's lost her Birmingham accent, run away from her drunken husband, and found a job at a public relations office as a secretary. Then her boss asks Agatha to go to the home of Brian Devese to tell him that he is soon going to be arr

Published August 11th 2015 by Minotaur Books (first published August 6th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Agatha's First Case, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Anna Because it's a short story, not a book. Just an extra.

Cyndi
Jan 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Agatha. She's young and frightened. But no one will know it. She's ambitious. To those who don't know her she's, "Scary Agatha." To those who know her she has a heart of gold.
In this small story she meets a murder suspect who she feels is innocent. As the story progresses we see her get her feet on the ground and start running. Great story!!
Meg
Aug 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
A short, easy read which highlights how Agatha Raisin began her PR and sleuthing careers.
Antonella 📚
Un corto che forse avrebbe meritato qualche pagina in più; è di una velocità pazzesca... Difficile una valutazione più corposa.
Carino però... Simpatico il personaggio...
Ha una fortuna... E deve farsi le ossa, ma la credo capace di tutto, vista la sua ambizione.
Dagny
Apr 25, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: beaton-m-c
It was really strange to see a young Agatha at twenty-six years.

This short story would only have been two stars, but two scenes near the end (one especially delightful) which had nothing to do with the actual mystery made it worthwhile for me.
Una Tiers
Dec 30, 2018 rated it it was ok
Back when Agatha and James were married, I would head over to the bookstore to get each new release. But, now, it's bye bye Beaton. While I fully acknowledge some series cannot go on forever, this one has disappointed me for the last two books. Some people question whether or not Beaton is even writing the books.
This is a whole story flashback to Agatha's youth. Instead of moving ups the stakes, the problem is solved miraculously in the same sentence in which it was introduced.
Not recommended.
Leigh
A fun prequel to the Agatha Raisin series, the story reveals how Agatha got her start, in PR as well as how she started her own business and made a success of it. Working for a bully of a boss, Agatha heads out to see their latest client, who her boss doesn't want to work with him. He is accused of murdering his wife, a "trophy wife" as Agatha calls her. Instead of dumping him as a client, Agatha suddenly finds herself going into business on her own, and investigating the murder herself. Much to ...more
Purple Iris
2.5

I started this thinking it was a full-length novel and actually the first book in the series.
Nov 09, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: cosy-mystery
Bof! A short - very short story about Agatha's arrival from Birmingham to London, and how she managed to set up her PR agency by solving a crime that, as usual, baffled the police. It would seem to be a little morsel to whet one's appetite for the new novel "Dishing the Dirt". Well, I suppose it did answer a few questions that I had never even asked myself!
Suzanne
Feb 01, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
A fine short story about Agatha's start in the PR business.
Heidi Burkhart
Dec 01, 2017 rated it did not like it
This book was written as a prequel to the Agatha Raisin mysteries that I am so fond of.

I found it very disappointing. Why? Because this was written in the vein of the film version of the stories. In the movie version Agatha is tall, thin and young, and very, very clever. In the book version she is always fighting the pounds, going to the spa to fix herself up, and trying to cover up her poor upbringing through a cloud of her cigarette smoke. I love the book Agatha whereas the film version was a
Pauline
Dec 30, 2018 rated it it was ok
Years ago around the time Agatha married James, I would rush to buy the new books in hardcover. But now, bye bye Beaton. While I fully acknowledge some series cannot go on forever, this one has disappointed me for the last two books. Some people question whether or not Beaton is even writing the books.
Not recommended.
Mortisha Cassavetes
Oct 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2018
This short story is the beginning of the Agatha Raisin series and I just love it. The story follows Agatha Raisin, a young woman starting over after leaving her drunken husband. Agatha meets Brian and thus her PR career begins. I really enjoy the writing style as it reminds me of a modern day Agatha Christie. I highly recommend this book as well as the series if you love a cozy mystery.
Linda
Nov 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
A charming book introducing Agatha Raisin with her first case.
Kris
Mar 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, mystery
This is a fun series of mysteries--"cozy" mysteries.

The more I listen to Agatha Raisin books, the more I like them.
C-shaw
Jun 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
The first Agatha Raisin story. I like it a lot!
Whitney
Jun 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
A fun, short story sharing Agatha's origin story as a sleulth and a legendary PR professional.
Melissa
A delightful distraction from my commute. Agatha Raisin always makes me laugh.
Evelyn Morgan
Aug 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just a short story giving a glimpse into how Agatha Raisin got her start into the world of sleuthing. I enjoyed it (actually read it before, but forgot and read it again). I would recommend it to fans of the Agatha Raisin mysteries. The solution was fairly simple (it is a short story, of course) but I liked it.
Denise
Dec 13, 2017 rated it liked it
It was a cute little novella that introduced you to MC Beaton's style and the inimitable Agatha Raisin. She reminded me of a British Stephanie Plumb. I enjoyed Alison Larkin's narrative skills
Vesper
Dec 29, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tre stelle e mezzo.
La storia è carina, avrebbe meritato anche una lunghezza maggiore per una trama più articolata.
Dina
Jan 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a short story leaving background on Agatha Raisin and where it all began. It actually us a sneak peek into the things that made her into the Agatha we know and love today. 5 stars!
2/22/16
Yvonne Boelen
Jan 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I love Agatha Raisin
Heidi (Yup. Still here.)
Mar 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2016
I liked this little short story. It was fun getting to know the younger less hardened Agatha.
Jul 28, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Entirely unbelievable yet quite a bit of fun. The daughter of a couple drunken small-time crooks, Agatha Raisin intends to put her Birmingham past behind her and move up to London's Mayfair, the district home to the advertising and media relations industry. Her current job as dogsbody to the head of a PR firm (snobby but incompetent) is tedious but well-situated. That ends when her boss sends her off to inform a well-heeled client that she won't act as media liaison for him when he is under susp ...more
JPT
Dec 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Monica
Dec 23, 2017 rated it did not like it
Maybe I should've read some of her other books first and gotten to know Agatha, but for me, this was not what I was hoping for. Part of it could be that it was meant to be a short story and therefore, couldn't go into a lot of plot details that a novel would, but I found the characters uninteresting and the motive weak. Plus, I couldn't see the murderer being able to commit the crime in the manner she did, it didn't seem realistic to me because it would've been a murder that required strength an ...more
Squirrel
Jan 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Wow! Very nice piece, consistent with the older Agatha we know. Would have enjoyed a full-length book, focusing on the PR work and some more life lessons for Agatha, also more development on some of the many interesting characters introduced in this prequel.

A few small things bothered me - Agatha not checking that a man picking her up in a hotel bar might already be married? George Sutherland saying he was too expensive to be her Business Manager, even though he'd already done most of the work?
Emi
Jan 24, 2018 rated it liked it
Sara
Nicole
Jan 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really adored this short, sweet ‘origin’ story for Agatha Raisin. I loved that she made her success her own so quickly, and was in the right place at the right time. I feel like her character is multi-layered—she is trusted by some and others really don’t want to get on her bad side.
It was hard not to have Ashley Jensen in my head playing Agatha. Loved this look into how it all started.
Any1 Discussing This Short? 2 5 Jul 28, 2016 12:21AM
  • The Norfolk Mystery (The County Guides, #1)
  • Amos Walker: The Complete Story Collection
  • Please Do Feed the Cat
  • Works of Edgar Allan Poe
  • Lord James Harrington and the Autumn Mystery (Lord James Harrington #4)
  • All the President's Menus (A White House Chef Mystery, #8)
  • Beat Until Stiff
  • Native Blood (Small Town Sheriff With Big Time Trouble)
  • The Templar Vault (Peter Sparke #1)
  • Brush with Death (Gray Whale Inn Mystery, #5)
  • Deadly Housewives: Stories
  • Miss Zukas and the Raven's Dance (Miss Zukas, #4)
  • Small Plates (Faith Fairchild)
  • Miss Davenport's Christmas
  • Book Clubbed (Booktown Mystery, #8)
  • Navajo Autumn (A Navajo Nation Mystery #1)
  • By Hook or By Crook and 30 More of the Best Crime and Mystery Stories of the Year
  • Bodyguard of Lies (The Cellar, #1)
Like her on Facebook!

Learn more on her website!

Marion Chesney Gibbons

Marion Chesney was born on 1936 in Glasgow, Scotland, UK, and started her first job as a bookseller in charge of the fiction department in John Smith & Sons Ltd. While bookselling, by chance, she got an offer from the Scottis

Agatha Raisin (1 - 10 of 29 books)
  • The Quiche of Death (Agatha Raisin, #1)
  • The Vicious Vet (Agatha Raisin, #2)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Potted Gardener (Agatha Raisin, #3)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Walkers of Dembley (Agatha Raisin, #4)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Murderous Marriage (Agatha Raisin, #5)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Terrible Tourist (Agatha Raisin, #6)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Wellspring of Death (Agatha Raisin, #7)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Wizard of Evesham (Agatha Raisin, #8)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Witch of Wyckhadden (Agatha Raisin, #9)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Fairies of Fryfam (Agatha Raisin, #10)