Start by marking “The Puzzle Lady vs. The Sudoku Lady (Puzzle Lady #11)” as Want to Read:
The Puzzle Lady vs. The Sudoku Lady (Puzzle Lady #11)

The Puzzle Lady vs. The Sudoku Lady

(Puzzle Lady #11)

MAY THE BEST CRIME SOLVER WIN!

Cora Felton's peaceful Connecticut town is in an uproar. The "Puzzle Lady's" biggest rival has come all the way from Japan to challenge her in puzzle-to-puzzle combat. And when a local resident is found dead, the battle is on to see who can crack the case first, Cora or Minami.

The discovery of another body just adds fuel to the fire, especia
Paperback
Published June 2015 by Worldwide Library Worldwide Mystery (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Puzzle Lady vs. The Sudoku Lady, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Puzzle Lady vs. The Sudoku Lady

Miranda Beverly-Gill
I have read all the puzzle lady books, I'm just not sure why. They're all terrible. This newest one is a convoluted mess, there are no clues to help you figure out who did it, and when you do find out at the end, it's just some random peripheral character with the weakest of motivations. The book is all talk and no action, which would be fine except that the dialogue is some of the worst I've ever read. Whoever Parnell Hall's editor is, they should be fired. No one talks the way they do in this ...more
Barbara
Dec 23, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-cozy
Originally liked this series a lot. Funny, irreverent, down-to-earth...Can that wear thin? Am I getting old? Cora seems to be getting annoying, rather than the independent, free-spirit I thought she was. I used to enjoy how "real" Cora was. Now, she seems to be so self-centered, deceitful and conniving. What happened?

This is a lighter mystery. Lighter mysteries have their place; I often enjoy them. I'm not sure why this was just a tad unsatisfactory - maybe I've moved on in a sense. Too much lev
Darlene
Dec 30, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I couldn't finish the book. The inane way Minami created theories of the murder were totally incredible and,this is just a quibble, I had a hard time with two Japanese ladies getting together for dinner and speaking English. This was too much so I put it down. It was too much to swallow the murder theories plus characters who are forced to follow a plot rather than unveiling the plot.
I did enjoy the first in the book in the "Puzzle Lady" series. I wish I could have enjoyed this one.
Kate
"It's the battle of the century when Minami, the Sudoku Lady, shows up in Bakerhaven, Connecticut, to meet Cora Felton, the Puzzle Lady, whose sudoku books have just edged Minami's off the Japanese bestseller list. Before the rivals have a chance to square off, a killer strikes, and a sudoku puzzle is found at the scene of the murder. Now it's a fight to the finish to se who can unmask the filler.

"Cora is eager to undo her Japanese counterpart -- at least until the poor woman is arrested for mur
Teresa in ohio
Jan 14, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-read
I have many series in progress and now debating which ones just to shelve and move on to better books. Not sure if my taste in books have changed BUT this book has been the stumbling book in this series. Started many times and DNF'd it. I struggled through it and couldnt care who commited the murder or the motive behind it. I didnt get how a puzzle maker from Japan just landed in town to make Cora's life miserable. I didnt get her niece who traveled with her and behaved more American than not. I ...more
Maureen
Jun 22, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
wow. this was SO BAD. I only read a few pages at a time to fall asleep. The characters weren't just flat, they were ridiculous stereotypes. the courtroom scene was absurd. I understand it is supposed to be lighthearted but my god this is like cotton candy - terrible for you, unsatisfying, and cloying.
Carole Hardinge
Not one of the best in this series, but still amusing. I think I miss the drunk Cora.
Anthony Yvonnica
I love this series. Very humorous. Again, I am still waiting for the TV series
Harry Addington
Aug 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very entertaining book and I like trying to solve the crosswords and sudokus.
Pat Sinclair
Dec 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very fast read.
JBradford
With all the vast number of books that exist in the world, it is always a puzzle to find one to read despite the fact that my taste in reading are so catholic that I can almost walk up to any bookcase and pick any book and enjoy it. That is almost what happened here -- I was at the library looking to see if there were any Charlaine Harris books on the shelves that I have not yet read, and as a word on the title spine of a book on the next higher shelf deep out of me. The word, of course, was sud ...more
Tristan MacAvery
I don't think there's any such thing as a Puzzle Lady mystery that doesn't, at the very least, keep you laughing throughout. Parnell Hall is a master of the ping-pong conversation, in some instances even surpassing Lawrence Block (sorry, Larry, gotta share the limelight a bit). In this, the eleventh in the series (the first is A Clue for the Puzzle Lady), the brilliantly volatile Cora Felton -- famous as the Puzzle Lady, despite the fact that she couldn't solve one if she wanted to, and that her ...more
Earl
Jul 14, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010
I can't believe "The Puzzle Lady vs. The Sudoku Lady" is the eleventh book in Parnell Hall's Puzzle Lady mysteries! While the books can seem a bit formulaic after awhile, the characters and fun dialogue are what keeps me coming back for more. As much as I love crosswords, I don't even bother to try and solve the ones in the books anymore as I'm too impatient to get on with the story. A treat for puzzle lovers is that many big names are involved in the constructing and editing of those found in t ...more
Sue
Cora Felton, the Puzzle Lady, finds herself challenged to a sudoku duel when Minami, the Sudoku Lady, comes from Japan after Cora’s sudoku book tops her own on the Japanese bestseller list. When several deaths occur, the first possibly accidental and the others murder, the two race to outdo each other and solve the crime, and the acerbic Cora becomes annoyed as Minami always seems to be one step ahead of her. When Minami ends up in jail after Cora accidentally frames her, Cora feels compelled to ...more
Susan
Cora Felton, who's famed for constructing crossword puzzles but who prefers sudoku, is surprised by a visit from a Japanese sudoku constructor, and even more displeased when Minami challenges her to solve a crime. There's a dead woman in Bakerhaven, but everyone, including the ever-suspicious Cora, is sure that it's an accident. When another woman dies, a sudoku is found by her body, and the police arrest Minami. Cora knows that the woman is innocent, but how can she prove it? And Cora's friendl ...more
Mark Baker
Mar 20, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010, mystery
Cora Felton meets her Japanese counterpart as a mysterious death happens in town. Now it's a race for honor to solve the crime. There's plenty of humor in this book, and the story is pretty good. But the characters are getting stale, especially Dennis. Enjoyable, but most for the fans.

Read my full review at Carstairs Considers.
Denise
Jun 12, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
This was a quick read, that's all that I can say to recommend it. I have read all of the Puzzle Lady books and for the most part they have been 2-3 stars. This was no different. The whole book was so convoluted that I almost gave it a one star--and I may go back and change it to that at some point. I like the main character, Cora and that is the only reason I keep reading the series. This one makes me want to change my mind about continuing the series.
Brenda Kirton
Dec 10, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Fast paced dialogue, in a challenging mystery and a heroine that doesn't get herself in stupid situations. Well except for having to clear her rival on murder charges that she accidentally framed her for, and maybe one or two other minor ones. But not really stupid ones. Any ways as I was saying fast paced, witty, zany they all come to mind with this book. Hard to put down.
Mark Ballinger
Apr 25, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I'm not a fan of this class of tidy murder mystery stories. This book included Will Shortz puzzles that were worked into the story, so that was a small draw. The puzzles were too easy, and the story was only okay. Not sure I liked the portrayal of the Japanese "Sudoku Lady." I'll try to remember to avoid this genre in the future.
Lynnea
Aug 13, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
This was a really stupid book... not sure why or how I read the whole thing. I was drawn to it on the library shelf because of its unique title and its label "Christian Fiction." It is NOT Christian Fiction - that is an error on the library's part.
Anyway, it gets two stars instead of just one because it was obviously good enough that I read the whole thing... but I don't recommend it!
Kimberly
Mar 27, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comic-mystery
Very witty. Cora gets a taste of her own medicine with a Japanese versin of herself sticking hr nose into what she would term "her" business. lol I must say I'm tired of the Dennis character. I think it's time to make him the next victim with Aaron as the prime suspect. lol
Erin
Jun 10, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I thought I would enjoy this book, as I am a puzzle fanatic. But I found that the writing style (almost exclusively dialogue) made it hard to get into the story. I finished the book, but only because I challenge myself to not abandon books.
Valerie
May 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My first book from the puzzle lady mysteries and it made me laugh so much. I really did enjoy it.
I look forward to reading more from this author for more good laughs. I was reading this during my lunch break at work and I had a good time at work because of the book. :)
Michael crage
I was very disappointed in this book. As a matter in fact before I wrote this review, I checked to be sure it was not written for the pre-teen audience. It was not, but them quality of the book made me think so. It was poorly written, poorly constructed, and poorly plotted.
Diane Heath
Apr 11, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Cora's Japanese counterpart comes to America. Minami is known in Japan as The Sudoku Lady. She is visiting America along with her niece. Murders occur in Bakerhaven. Sudoku puzzles and crossword puzzles play a role. The Sudoku Lady is arrested and Cora has a dilemma or two to resolve
Linnae
Mar 23, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-suspense
Only 2 stars, simply because it seemed like most of the book was Cora talking, rather than doing. The courtroom scene particularly dragged--unfortunately it was the scene used to solve the mystery and finish up the book. Some of her others are better.
Brenda Sharp
Mar 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved the Sudoku Lady and that she and Cora shared the same secret--their nieces wrote their columns/books and they couldn't do them at all with the exception that Cora did all the Sudoku as Sherry can only do crosswords.
Jorn
Mar 13, 2010 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
This looks vaguely retarded but I want to read it anyway...
Kim
May 01, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like this series and think that the "Puzzle Lady" is a hoot as was the "Sudoku Lady" but I thought that the ending was hard to believe even in a cozy mystery.
Karen
Oct 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
witty
  • Fireworks at the FBI (Capital Mysteries #6)
  • You've Got Murder (Turing Hopper, #1)
  • The Alpine Uproar (Emma Lord, #21)
  • That Day the Rabbi Left Town
  • Death in Blue Folders (Sigrid Harald, #3)
  • Cam Jansen and the School Play Mystery (Cam Jansen Mysteries, #21)
  • Dare to Die (Death on Demand, #19)
  • A Really Cute Corpse (Claire Malloy, #4)

Puzzle Lady (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • A Clue for the Puzzle Lady (Puzzle Lady #1)
  • Last Puzzle & Testament (Puzzle Lady #2)
  • Puzzled to Death (Puzzle Lady #3)
  • A Puzzle in a Pear Tree (Puzzle Lady #4)
  • With this Puzzle, I Thee Kill (Puzzle Lady #5)
  • And a Puzzle to Die On (Puzzle Lady #6)
  • Stalking the Puzzle Lady (Puzzle Lady #7)
  • You Have the Right to Remain Puzzled (Puzzle Lady #8)
  • The Sudoku Puzzle Murders (Puzzle Lady #9)
  • Dead Man's Puzzle (Puzzle Lady #10)