Start by marking “Start Late, Finish Rich: A No-Fail Plan for Achieving Financial Freedom at Any Age” as Want to Read:

David Bach has a plan to help you live and finish rich--no matter where you start

So you feel like you've started late?

You are not alone.

What if I told you that right now as you flip through this book, 70% of the people in the store with you are living paycheck to paycheck?

What if I told you that the man browsing the aisle to your left owes more than $8,000 in credit card
Published January 2nd 2007 by Currency (first published January 1st 2005)

Peter
Jan 07, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: financial
It is important when reading any financial "how-to" book to fully understand the author's intentions.... what is their goal? To help you or themselves. This book is a mixed bag in that regard. As other reviews have pointed out, David Bach's programs are not so much about making you money, but enriching his own fortune.

That being said, this book can be read judiciously and you can gleen some useful bits of information in his book, including his emphasis on saving now for retirement, even if you
Tony Bird
Aug 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
When I first graduated college, my grandfather handed me a stack of books on finance and investing. I read them all, but I was married at the time and it was difficult to get my wife on board with an idea like "Let's try not blowing all of our money." Years later I got divorced, which wiped my savings, and I had to start with a clean slate. Which brings me to the point at which I decided to pick up this book.

I was looking through the personal finance section of the bookstore, and the title caugh
Marjorie Turner
Oct 08, 2014 rated it liked it
Popular author & speaker. Several of his recommendations were great - cut out what he calls the "latte" factor - a lot of those non-essential expenditures that we can easily live without (and put into savings), and pay yourself first (pre-tax 401K plans). I also liked that he says we should stop beating ourselves up for where we are - just do something about it now. And he also highly recommends giving (financially and with out time), as well as living a life of joy-don't put off being happy ...more
Mamie Smith
Jul 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I stumbled upon "Start Late, Finish Rich" by David Bach as I was searching for antiques in Gatlinburg, TN last week. As I flipped through shelves of books, it caught my eye. When it was presented to the clerk for purchase (which was three dollars), he remarked, "If this works for you, bring back and I will give you ten dollars for it."

David tackles many areas: control spending, credit card debt, renting instead of purchasing, investment and personal development. I was delighted at his thoroughne
Cam
Nov 06, 2009 rated it it was amazing
A good, clear, no-nonsense approach to common-sense personal finance. Ahhh, it was nice to read. No complex schemes, no secretive stock analysis, just useful info for the beginner.
Chuck
May 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: business
A good read though it missed multiple key areas. Still, plenty of common sense, easy to do items for someone who has hit 50 or more and realizes they need some help.

Will re-enforce his key point, PAY YOURSELF FIRST. and pay yourself before you pay the govt. If you have a 401K but are not using it and let's say you are 50. 1st thing you do is ask for 2-3% to start. You will not miss it. 1 year from now add 1%, 2 years from now another 1%. Fast forward and by 60, you are putting away 12-15% of you
Michael Walker
Sep 19, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: finances
Common sense.....
Cheree
Mar 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
This book contains a lot of good information and advice--especially for those of us who are approaching retirement and realize that we didn't start nearly early enough. Much of the information Bach provides isn't exactly new, but if we were all doing it, then we wouldn't be buying his books, now would we?

Start Late, Finish Rich is an expanded version of The Automatic Millionaire geared toward us older folks. It isn't as quick a read because there is a lot more to it. I would say that at this po
D
Apr 26, 2014 rated it liked it
This book has some interesting ideas about finances - most of which I totally agree with. The major sections of the book deal with spending less, saving more, making more and giving more - all worthy financial goals. My main problem with the book was that the edition I read came out 2004 and, in light of the Great Recession, that began in 2008, many of Back's invest ideas seem dated and even right down dangerous from a financial view point. This is especially true of information presented in the ...more
gina
Oct 03, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, finance
The guy who read this... poor guy. He actually sighs in boredom and frustration when reading out the incredibly dull lists of numbers and financial organizations. Couldn't there have been a way to get this online? And just have the man say "for the lists of xyz#s go online to..." etc. Hearing him sigh was pretty hard to handle. I felt bad for the guy. And of course, no one actually caught his sighs because who would voluntary listen to the boring lists he was reading.

Okay, other than that there
Christine
Aug 07, 2008 rated it liked it
My Mom lent me this book and I really enjoyed reading it. I love reading financial books and ways to save money and his ideas were very helpful. Unfortunately I am good for about a month and then slip back into my money spending ways. So, maybe I need to buy and read a financial book every month, but then the whole buying thing would defeat the purpose....

My favorite part of this book (or at least the one I remember) is the "Double Latte Factor." His idea is that anyone can be a millionaire and
Miranda
Nov 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
I've liked all of David Bach's books, but really enjoyed this one. I'm probably too young to be the intended audiance for this book, but I figured if I'm young and read it, perhaps I'll get even richer! Very easy to read with lots of great ideas. I've already implemented some of them in my life!
Amy Johnson
Aug 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
The valuable part of this book that I haven't seen in other similar books is the argument for saving and paying down debt _simultaneously_, especially if you're "starting late." It will also make you feel better about starting late.
Feb 04, 2011 rated it it was ok
I am going to read this book because at first glance it looks better than his others. Looks like there might be more topics for todays (2011) folks
Daren Doucet
Jul 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
Some good advice, on financial planning. Even starting in your later years, you can do allot. Instead of two cappuccinos a week, cut down to one, and save the rest for a rainy day!
Dawnetta
Aug 18, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: self-help
This was my favorite of David Bach's books that I've read. It covered all of his basic money principles plus he added more details on retirement and real estate. I really enjoyed this book.
Michael
Jul 15, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I consider it sad that such basic advise is needed (as evidenced by the sales successes many of Bach's books have). Many of the tips are just simple common sense (pay your credit cards in full, don't buy stuff you can't afford to by with cash, etc). Also, some of the ideas are a regurgitation of ideas of other Bach's books (for example, his adamant desire for you to buy a place, instead of renting one).

The book was published before the 2008/2009 crisis, so one of the main premises of one of the
Geoff
Aug 13, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
My Recommendation: I grabbed a copy of this book from the library in hopes of finding some tips or tricks to pass on to some of my older relatives. Honestly, I would say pass on this one unless you're in this position and desperately want advice. I feel like  The Automatic Millionaire said most of this better and was updated recently. If you're interested in this specifically because of your demographic I would say wait until he releases an update.

My Response: It covers a lot of the same ground
Public Speaker
Nov 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you have read a bunch books like this already it may not be earth shattering for you. If you look at it from the target audiences point of view the book could potentially change lives. If you are someone young or old who focused more on education and the workforce you may not have been exposed to the power of compound interest. We are all prompted to work and stay in debt all our lives. Books like this offer you an alternative. Read as many of these as you can. What you read like and apply co ...more
Jon Barr
Jun 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic. I'm certainly a personal finance novice, and perhaps many of the ideas expressed in this book are considered common sense to most of the people in my circle of friends...

But I really don't think that is the case.

Paired with "The Millionaire Next Door," which I read recently, I am now fully cognizant of my need for fuller financial planning and, better yet, I know what to do to get there.

You probably need to read this book.
Michelle Hensley
Aug 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
I did start late understanding financial principles so this was recommended to me. When I lost my husband to cancer, I understood the downfall of him managing all the finances and me not understanding any of it. I have learned a lot about finances over the past 4 1/2 years. Out of every book I read I try to glean 2 to 3 points. The latte factor, David’s view on owning your home and turbocharging your earning capacity.
Eduardo Barraza
May 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Though its an old book the concepts are still the same, many of these steps/tips shown in this book I had already started on my own and though they are not that simple they do work. But there is a vast amount of information that we don't know and books like this one help us understand some of that info. This book is a great addition to my book case and I will probably come back to review some of its chapters later.
Ryan Nguyen
Mar 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
The book is a good way to learn how to make money, and I would recommend it to other people. The concept of saving at a young age is smart, but trying to keep yourself from spending is difficult. However, if you have problems with saving and not spending money then this book is definitely for you.
Lisa
Jan 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
I admit that I skipped most of the get out of debt part as we don’t have debt and most of the book didn’t apply. This one was available while I was waiting for his Automatic Millionaire one. Will start that one next. This one does offer some great suggestions so I will read his other two books just to see if anything new.
Madhur Ahuja
Some decent information
Tanya
Sep 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: financial
David Bach books are all good. Simple read with very good financial information for all stages in your life.
Sue
Aug 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
I listened to this book as I drove and I'm glad. I always learn something when I read financial books. It was interesting to hear him include giving as part of his plan.
Laura Lucas
Jun 12, 2017 rated it liked it
A good read if you are just starting out with financial planning, thugh some of the advice is now out of date.
  • Conversations with Millionaires: What Millionaires Do to Get Rich, That You Never Learned about in School!
  • Mach II With Your Hair On Fire: The Art of Vision & Self Motivation
  • Dare to Win
  • The Challenge to Succeed
  • Millionaire Women Next Door: The Many Journeys of Successful American Businesswomen
  • All You Can Do Is All You Can Do But All You Can Do Is Enough!
  • Suze Orman's 2009 Action Plan: Keeping Your Money Safe & Sound
  • Women Have All the Power...Too Bad They Don't Know It: Secrets Every Man's Daughter Should Know
  • Rich Dad's Success Stories: Real Life Success Stories from Real Life People Who Followed the Rich Dad Lessons
  • Focus: Achieving Your Highest Priorities
  • Girl, Get Your Money Straight: A Sister's Guide to Healing Your Bank Account and Funding Your Dreams in 7 Simple Steps
  • The Ten Roads to Riches: The Ways the Wealthy Got There (and How You Can Too!)
  • Seven Years to Seven Figures: The Fast-Track Plan to Becoming a Millionaire
  • Multiple Streams of Internet Income: How Ordinary People Make Extraordinary Money Online
  • Suddenly Frugal: How to Live Happier and Healthier for Less
  • The ABC's of Writing Winning Business Plans: How to Prepare a Business Plan That Others Will Want to Read - And Invest in
  • New Complete Do-It-Yourself Manual