Start by marking “Poison is Not Polite (Wells and Wong, #2)” as Want to Read:
Poison is Not Polite (Wells and Wong, #2)

Poison is Not Polite

(Murder Most Unladylike Mysteries #2)

A tea party takes a poisonous turn leaving Daisy and Hazel with a new mystery to solve in the second novel of the Wells & Wong Mystery series.

Schoolgirl detectives Daisy Wells and Hazel Wong are at Daisy’s home, Fallingford, for the holidays. Daisy’s glamorous mother is throwing a tea party for Daisy’s birthday, and the whole family is invited, from eccentric Aunt Sask
Published April 26th 2016 by Simon and Schuster (first published January 29th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Poison is Not Polite, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Poison is Not Polite

Katie Lumsden
Dec 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed this - great fun, wonderfully written, with a really engaging story. I do love a good middle grade cosy mystery!
Pamela
Jan 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
"Something dreadful has happened to Mr. Curtis. I am quite surprised to realize that I mind. If you had asked me this morning what I thought of him, I should have told you that Mr. Curtis was not a nice man at all. But not even the nastiest person deserves this . . . Mr. Curtis was not simply an accident, or a sudden illness. Someone did this to him, and that can only mean one thing: the Detective Society has a brand-new case to investigate."

Robin Stevens' Wells & Wong Mysteries are a deligh
Cora Tea Party Princess
5 Words: Tea, mystery, murder, crime, detective.

I saw tea in the title and I knew I had to read it. And I'm so glad I did. Because this was awesome. And I have discovered that I have a huge soft spot for detective stories.

This story has a pretty timeless quality, and I couldn't quite place the era at first. And Daisy and Hazel are so awesome. They just work so well together, the friendship between them is really something special, and I loved how it was tested in this book. I was so invested aft
Maddie
Apr 12, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: middle-grade
First of all, I'm so excited that I picked up the sequel relatively soon after reading the first book, because I enjoyed Hazel and Daisy too much for their series to be something that just gathers dust on my shelves.

What I liked about this mystery was how it was much closer to home. Literally. The girls are staying over at Daisy's manor over Easter break and witness a poisoning, with Daisy's father being one of the most convincing culprits. Seeing the pair juggle with their integrity and moral
Bee (Heart Full of Books)
Just as incredible as the first, I am head-over-heels for this series!
Jo Reads
Nov 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: english-books
Ho amato questo capitolo ancora più del primo della saga. Mi è piaciuto molto ritrovare Hazel e Daisy e vederle interagire in un nuovo contesto (la casa di Daisy). Le protagoniste sono maturate molto e così le avventure (omicidi per gli amici) nelle quali si trovano coinvolte. Il romanzo si svolge in una casa vittoriana durante il compleanno di Daisy, quando, inspiegabilmente, uno degli ospiti muore. Hazel e Daisy dovranno ritornare operative con la loro Detective Society per risolvere il caso. ...more
L.H. Johnson
I was a little in awe of Stevens' debut in this series, the rather glorious and as good as Christmas Murder Most Unladylike, and so when Arsenic For Tea came onto NetGalley, I did a tiny shriek of joy. And by tiny, I mean rather substantial.

Arsenic For Tea is a joy. A multi-layered sandwich cake of joy. There's really very little else to be said other than this book is gorgeous and it's something rather special.

It is the second in the Wells and Wong series; Daisy Wells and Hazel Wong, schoolgi
Ren
Originally reviewed on Words in a Teacup

Once again we travel back to 1930s England, land of murders and bunbreaks, where schoolgirl detectives Hazel Wong and Daisy Wells are spending the hols at Daisy's ancestral home. There's also some family members and friends staying over for Daisy's birthday party, and everyone knows what happens every time a group of Englishmen have a party in an isolated country house: someone's going to get offed. Predictably, Hazel isn't too pleased with having to deal
Kirsty
Arsenic for tea was one of the books I have been more excited to read in 2015 and I'm so pleased to report it did not disappoint at all.

There are several things I love about this book the the series it is part of. I love that the series evokes the same feelings I had when I was 10 years old and reading my Enid Blyton boarding school and mystery stories. The setting and the language is spot on with the style and my inner child adores it. I almost squealed with joy at the use of the word Brick to
Stuti (Turmeric isn't your friend. It will fly your ship
The past is awful, only old people never realize it.

Facts I bet you didn't know about me:

1. Miss Marple and Dr John Watson bore me to the point of re-reading or retracing the steps that do NOT lead to horrific ends in them old Give Yourself Goosebumps I possess, and I don't even mind. (This is relevant. Sorta. Not really.)

2. Weddings/marriages/any hint of nuptials provoke an involuntary gag reflex in yours truly, unless we're talking Tim Burton + Helena Bonham Carter (or break up thereof ;_;), E
Ken
Feb 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another wonderfully delightful murder mystery for Daisy and Hazel 'The Detective Society' to unravel.

Whilst attending Daisy's Birthday celebrations at her family's country home, the schoolgirls are back on the case after one of the attendees soon falls seriously ill.

These books really capture the 1930's setting, one aspect I found added to the story was how the author dealt with Hazel's Asian heritage during that period of history.
The fact that this scene was included goes some way of explaining
Lydia
This was pretty cute.
It's not the greatest kids' book in the world and certain bits were a bit odd to me even though I was remaining aware that it is aimed towards children. Like how well the police officer got on with Daisy and Hazel and how much he believed them.
But overall it was pretty cute and I was pretty invested in finding out who had committed the murder. Plus it has the most adorable cover and title, let's face it.
Emma
Jan 12, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: guest-reviews
REVIEW BY NIA 8:8

Arsenic for Tea is about two young girls called Hazel and Daisy Wong. They have spent many years at boarding school together and have grown to be budding detectives. Both girls are clever, friendly and get on well together. They complement each other well because one of them is very hyper and the other very serious. They both notice different things when working together which makes them a good team. Hazel’s family live in Hong Kong which means she goes back to Daisy’s house, in
Mathew
I should stop leaving Robin Stevens' books on my shelves and just read them straight away. It's not just that they are incredibly smart, accessible, pacy and fun but they're also clever, well-structured and very well-researched. She does such credit to writers like P.D.James, Arthur Conan Doyle and Agatha Christie, whom children may encounter later, but is utterly her own writer with her own style. This second book is set in the rather lavish yet decaying home of the Wells family. At Fallingford ...more
Il Filo di Arianna
Nonostante sia un libro middle-grade, trovo che sia super intelligente e ben costruito, e soprattutto tratta i lettori con intelligenza e non li sottovaluta.
La copertina flessibile ha la costina un po' rigida.
Per quanto riguarda il livello di inglese, trovo che sia molto fattibile (ci sono dei termini di slang, ma alcuni sono spiegati nel glossario in fondo).
Hazel, dopo il primo libro, mi sembra più sicura di sé e capisce quando ha ragione lei invece che Daisy (anche se non lo dice sempre per il
Lauren James
Jan 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ukya
This is an absolutely charming read! Beautifully written, it perfectly captures the Wodehouse/Sherlock Holmes/Agatha Christie vibe of early 19th century detectives.
If I had discovered this as a child I think i would have died of joy, and as it is I cannot wait for the next in the series. So brilliantly thought out! (And I never guessed the murderer!)

I especially loved the time that had been taken on the extras- the family tree, the house plan etc. It really goes to show the love and effort that
Jessica (Jess Hearts Books)

I love this series so much! Can't wait for First Class Murder!
Favola
Jun 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gelesen-2017
Robin Stevens konnte mich damals mit "Mord ist nichts für junge Damen" begeistern und auch dieses Mal ging ihr Rezept auf: Man nehme zwei erfolgreiche Komponenten von früher - hier zum Beispiel Hanni und Nanni und Miss Marple -, schüttle sie kräftig durch und reichere sie mit eigenen Ideen an. Und ich kann euch jetzt schon verraten, dass sich der Mix von "Teestunde mit Todesfall" noch süffiger liest.

Dieses Mal ermitteln Daisy Wells und Hazel Wong jedoch nicht an ihrer Mädchenschule Deepdean sond
Aleshanee
Sep 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wieder ein sehr unterhaltsamer Krimi vor der historischen Kulisse Englands mit zwei außergewöhnlichen Detektivinnen ;)

Ein neuer Fall für die beiden Internatsschülerinnen Daisy und Hazel - doch der Schauplatz ändert sich, denn sie sind über die Osterferien in Fallingford, dem Landsitz von Daisys Eltern. Das fand ich toll, dass sich die Kulisse ändert und ich hab schon gesehen, dass sie im 3. Band im Orient Express unterwegs sein werden!

Erzählt wird wieder alles aus der Sicht von Hazel, denn sie
Oda Renate
Sep 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another marvelous crime. This time set in Daisys family estate. Her family are quite some characters :D
Love the different parts and Hazel and the impossible to geuss murder. And and and
READ THIS RIGHT NOW OR YOU WILL REGRET IT!
Jayaprakash Satyamurthy
Superb! I figured it all out even before the murder happened, making this an easier mystery to crack than the previous volume, but Stevens strews Daisy and Hazel's path to the solution with so many red herrings that I started doubting myself and concocting increasingly complex theories, none of which were as close to the mark as my initial intuition.

This one improves on Murder Most Ladylike in every way. The supporting cast is much more interesting, subplots are intriguing in their own way, the
4cats
Jan 26, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Again, I would say a confusing age rating on these. Very, very jolly hockeysticks and all that. There are certainly children's books, 2 girls who get involved in detecting murders which occur around them, young Miss Marples i suppose. Still I question the suitability of some of the content which doesn't marry with the age group I would imagine reading these. Ummm. Again 2 and a half stars.
Lydia Dyslin
Poison is Not Polite is the second book in the Wells and Wong Mystery series by Robin Stevens.

This was even better than the first book. If only our library had the next one . . . but they don't . . . woe is me!!
5 stars out of 5, review coming soon!
Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all)
I enjoyed this more than I did the first installment. In the first place, the traditional house-party murder is more "believable" than a boarding school murder. In the second place, a real wart gets what's coming to him, so nobody really feels bad about it. Shocked, yes, but not bad. The author enjoys playing with the trope that "people like us" wouldn't do such a thing, so even if it had to be one of us, let's hush it up, mustn't let the side down donchaknow. In the third place, the author had ...more
Ingrid Fasquelle
Inutile d’y aller par quatre chemins, on adore l’univers feutré et délicieusement suranné de cette enquête dense et complète, destinée aux jeunes lecteurs à partir de 10 ou 11 ans ! Intrépides et ingénieuses, Daisy Wells et Hazel Wong sont deux jeunes apprenties détectives qui ne manquent pas d’audace !
Après avoir élucidé le meurtre de leur professeur de sciences dans Un coupable presque parfait, le Club des détectives Wells & Wong se frotte cette fois à une nouvelle affaire... Daisy et Haze
Donatella Principi
Recensione su Chibiistheway
Coinvolgente e ben costruito, decisamente migliore rispetto al primo.
Monica Haak
Jun 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wat een heerlijk boek weer! de sfeer voelde ik meer in deel 1, maar de crime is weer beter in dit deel!

recensie binnenkort op myperfectbooklife
Kate (infinitelynovel)
This was super cute! I think I adore Daisy and Hazel.
Valentina Modena
After the first, I wanted to read also the second. I’ve enjoyed it like the first, and I’m determined to continue the series. It’s good because every book is a free-standing case, and only the protagonists don’t change (luckily, because I really love them).
In this book we meet Daisy’s family and we discover her house. I can’t wait to continue reading about new adventures and investigations with Daisy and Hazel!
Pili
Jul 17, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am a big Agatha Christie fan and so when I discovered this series, I was elated to have something in her style but MG and with diverse characters. I loved the first book in the series, and although I guessed who the murderer was (did I mention I've read A LOT of Agatha Christie?) it was close to the final reveal so it didn't bother me, and the same thing happened here, I guessed before the reveal (that makes me feel clever) but not too early (which ends up being annoying).

In book 2 we have a c
Readalong BFFBD(ony): QUARTA PARTE 7 29 Nov 12, 2017 07:25AM
Readalong BFFBD(ony): TERZA PARTE 13 34 Nov 12, 2017 04:03AM
Readalong BFFBD(ony): PRIMA PARTE 34 74 Nov 11, 2017 06:40AM
Readalong BFFBD(ony): SECONDA PARTE 13 49 Nov 11, 2017 02:51AM
  • The Mystery of the Clockwork Sparrow (The Sinclair’s Mysteries #1)
  • The Case of the Girl in Grey (The Wollstonecraft Detective Agency, #2)
  • The Case of the Good-Looking Corpse (The P.K Pinkerton Mysteries, #2)
  • Goth Girl and the Fete Worse than Death (Goth Girl, #2)
  • Stolen Magic
  • The Seeing
  • Locked (Locked, #1)
  • India Dark
  • Stones for My Father
  • Chocolate SOS (Jess Jordan, #5)
  • Sawbones
  • This is Not Forgiveness
  • Too Small to Fail
  • Cogheart (The Cogheart Adventures, #1)
  • Withering-By-Sea (A Stella Montgomery Intrigue, #1)
  • Tin
  • Poltergeeks (Poltergeeks, #1)
  • Saving Daisy
Robin's books are: Murder Most Unladylike (Murder is Bad Manners in the USA), Arsenic for Tea (Poison is Not Polite in the USA), First Class Murder, Jolly Foul Play, Mistletoe and Murder, Cream Buns and Crime, and A Spoonful of Murder. She is also the author of The Guggenheim Mystery, the sequel to Siobhan Dowd's The London Eye Mystery.

Robin was born in California and grew up in an Oxford college

Murder Most Unladylike Mysteries (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Murder Most Unladylike: A Wells & Wong Mystery  (Wells & Wong Mystery, #1)
  • First Class Murder (Murder Most Unladylike Mysteries, #3)
  • Jolly Foul Play (Murder Most Unladylike Mysteries, #4)
  • Mistletoe and Murder (Murder Most Unladylike Mysteries, #5)
  • A Spoonful of Murder (Murder Most Unladylike Mysteries, #6)
  • Cream Buns and Crime: A Murder Most Unladylike Collection, #0.5, 3.5, 4.5 (Murder Most Unladylike Mysteries, #0.5, 3.5, 4.5)
  • Death in the Spotlight (Murder Most Unladylike Mysteries, #7)
  • Untitled (Murder Most Unladylike Mysteries, #8)
  • A Murder Most Unladylike Mysteries Boxed Set, #2-5 with Gift Journal (Murder Most Unladylike Mysteries, #2-5)
  • A Murder Most Unladylike Mysteries Boxed Set, #1-6 with Gift Journal (Murder Most Unladylike Mysteries, #1-6)
“3” 1 likes