Start by marking “An Evil Mind” as Want to Read:
An Evil Mind

An Evil Mind (Robert Hunter #6)

4.45  ·  Rating details ·  4,376 Ratings  ·  505 Reviews
An Evil Mind
Published May 21st 2015 by Simon & Schuster Ltd (first published July 31st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about An Evil Mind, please sign up.

Shelby *trains flying monkeys*

A random accident in a small town reveals a suprise for the local sheriff. What develops from there is a serial killer that no one had on their radar. The very scariest kind.

Once arrested the guy that had the little surprise will speak to no one but a detective from the LAPD, Robert Hunter. Hunter is a former criminal behavior psychologist who just happens to be the guys former college roommate.
By the age of nineteen, Hunter had already graduated summa cum laude in psychology, and at tw
Maxine (Booklover Catlady)
Can you rate a book 6 stars yet? No? Well you should be able to, as this one would get an easy 6 stars from me. Let me start by saying I read a LOT of crime, it's my most read genre, and even better if it involves a serial killer and a good element of psychological twists. I love Carter's penmanship and Robert Hunter is one of my favourite literary Detectives. Chris is in another league as a crime writer, absolutely brilliant stuff!

This is book six in the Robert Hunter series, but it also worked
Emma
Jul 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
My new life plan is to refrain from reading any Chris Carter books when I'm alone. They are too damn scary. Carter gets top marks for creating the most sick and twisted individuals in crime fiction. The murders might as well have come from Saw. The mental pictures make me feel sick.

Even so, the books are brilliant and this one is no different. Not for the squeamish, but a do-not-miss for anyone else.
Tonkica
May 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kada su likovi i zaplet rađeni po istinitim događajima riječ "zlotvor" nije dovoljno teška, grozna, nevjerojatna, hladna, šokantna! Trebali su, ako ništa, izmisliti novu za opis osobe o kojoj čitamo u knjizi. Nevjerojatno je kakvi ljudi mogu postati. :-(

Ovog puta Robert Hunter je dobio sebi ravnoga po pitanju inteligentnog i domišljatog razgovora!

Ova mi je rečenica bila simpatična, te uspijeva dati jednu ljudsku notu onome kod koga upravo to tražimo.. :

"Pa je bih mogao bolji argument od tvoga z
Angela DeSilva
This book is BEYOND brilliant!!!. Chris Carter is my new favorite crime-thriller author, his writing is excellent. He deserves way more recognition, as in my opinion this book is Best Crime Fiction novel of 2015 material. Time for a re -read, I just scored it at the friends of the library book sale for 50 cents in hardcover, whoo hoo.
Judy Collins
Chris Carter delivers an edgy, razor-sharp, evil, dark, and twisted psycho-crime suspense thriller, AN EVIL MIND —a sadistic, psychotic serial killer with only seven words, “I will only speak to Robert Hunter.” A man who has not spoken a word since being arrested.

Haunting words which will forever change LAPD detective, and the former criminal behavior psychologist's life.

A labyrinth of creepy twists and grotesque turns. The secrets of the past refuse to keep quiet in this disquieting, taut t
Book Addict Shaun
Jul 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
This is a serious contender for my book of the year. I can't believe I only discovered Chris Carter a year ago and I now consider him to be one of my favourite crime authors of all time. For that reason this is a difficult review to write because I really want to show just how fantastic this book is.

It's a huge departure from what we are used to from Chris, this book is very different from the books that came before. That said it could not have been more successful in my opinion. After five book
John Wiltshire
I reviewed this book last year and gave it a one star.
I admit, I think I got that completely wrong. I apparently clicked on this book at random (that's the trouble of having a kindle) without realising it was part of a long series. That's not giving the author due credit for all the development that's gone into creating his world. My original review makes me chuckle because, yes, the pov switches are truly awful in all the books -- but I've gotten used to it! I overlook it! I find it funny now!
Yellagirlgc
I received a copy of this book from NetGalley and the publisher for my honest opinion.
Where has Chris Carter been hiding?! I cant believe I've never read his work before. This is the rapid page turning psychological suspense I love to read. There were no slow parts. This my be my first Chris Carter read but it won't be my last.
Raven
Jul 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the sixth outing for LAPD detective Robert Hunter and as many people know, one that I have a particular affection for, having previously reviewed The Death Sculptor , The Hunter and One By One , and having read all the books in the series to date. I can confidently say that after the slight disappointment of One By One, Carter is back with a bang and with An Evil Mind there are shocks aplenty in store for the reader.

An Evil Mind is cited by the publisher as drawing most closely on indivi
Linda Strong
Apr 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2015

The title of this book so perfectly describes what you get between the covers! I have read all the books in this series just as fast as I could get them, and while I loved every single one of them, I feel this one was head and shoulders the best so far.

Detective Robert Hunter is called bythe FBI to interview a man highly suspected as being a serial killer, as he was found with two bodiless heads in his car. He is adamant that he will only speak to Hunter. What Hunter finds is a man he knows, a m
Mandy White
Dec 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audible
This one was very different from the others in the series... in a good way. Such a big fan of Robert Hunter.
Liz Barnsley
Jun 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Publication Date: July 31st 2014 from Simon And Shuster UK.

Thank you to the author and publisher for the review copy via Netgalley.

A freak accident in rural Wyoming leads the Sheriff’s Department to arrest a man for a possible double homicide, but further investigations suggest a much more horrifying discovery – a serial killer who has been kidnapping, torturing and mutilating victims all over the United States for at least twenty-five years. The suspect claims he is a pawn in a huge labyrinth o
R-Cee*Jay
Damn, Chris Carter! Gruesome - check, Horror - check, Thriller - check, Suspense - check, Action - check. This series is so darn good, I am sad to soon be reading the last one. I look forward to more, for sure. I have no idea what Mr Carter has heard and experienced in his life or how his mind conjures up new killers, but damn if it doesn't make for good reading. Hat's off and many thanks to you, sir!
Cheryl
Apr 01, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Abandoning this one after the half-way mark. Too many similar plot points as The Silence of the Lambs (a much better book). The way the author kept ending his chapters with a "teaser" got old after awhile. In the end, I really didn't care to find out more about this serial killer.
Nathalie
Dec 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dieses Mal ermittelt Hunter nicht mit seinem Partner Garcia in Los Angeles, sondern wird vom FBI nach Quantico bestellt, wo er sich einem seiner engsten Vertrauten stellt. Anfangs vermisste ich Garcia ein wenig, schnell kristallisierte sich aber heraus, dass das Buch spannender und bestialischer ist, als jeder vorherige Teil - deshalb habe ich über das Fehlen Garcias hinwegsehen können. ENDLICH wird mehr über Hunters Vergangenheit enthüllt, die Story ist an Spannung einfach nicht zu übertreffen! ...more
Best Crime Books & More
Robert Hunter is back, only this time his partner Carlos Garcia is missing and Robert is on his way to Hawaii for a much needed break. The series featuring Hunter and Garcia is now onto it 6th book and the previous 5 have seen Robert and Garcia go through the mill, so although I realised from the synopsis Garcia wouldn’t be around I wondered how much of an impact it would have on the current book. Thankfully it seems like it had little impact on the actual book or sheer writing skills, but as a ...more
Svenja
In 'Die stille Bestie' gerät einer von Robert Hunters angeblich 'besten' Freunden durch eine Verstrickung ungünstiger Zusammenkünfte unter Mordverdacht. Während der Ermittlungen möchte dieser nur mit Hunter sprechen, also reist dieser nach Virginia und tritt somit ungewollt dem Ermittlerteam des FBI bei.

Aufgeteilt ist das Buch in 3 Teile. Im 1. plätschert die Handlung zunächst erstmal nur schleppend vor sich hin. Man erfährt eher 'vorbereitende' Dinge für die weitere Handlung und somit zieht sic
Rob Twinem
Aug 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I find Chris Carter one of the greatest thriller/crime writers of the modern age. He has produced in Robert Hunter a first class anti-hero, a detective working on the side of good but with a tragic past, which is revealed as this story progresses.

An unexpected accident causes, a shocking find is made in the boot of a car, and a suspect is immediately detained. Lucien Folter will talk to no one but Hunter, they have a past, and when Detective Hunter arrives a grizzly tale of horrific proportions
Gary
Jun 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The 6th book in the Robert Hunter series by Chris Carter.
Chris Carter's books get better and better, I loved his very first book and I have felt the same about every subsequent book. His books have an edge are are certainly more graphic than some of his contemporariness. His plots are different and the characters are so strong. This book instantly had me hooked and I read it at every possible moment. I can't wait for the next one.
Alfred Nobile
Jul 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
What can I say. Wow, Wow and Wow. Another incredible book from Mr. Carter. just when you think he's done it all he adds another twist. His books can be read as stand alones but are best read in order. So if you have not read Chris Carter grab a copy of The Crucifix Killer and welcome to the ride! Or any of his books, your choice.
Carmina
Jul 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Der Start in die Geschichte war für Carter-Verhältnisse gemächlich. Ich wusste eine Weile nicht, worauf die Story hinauslaufen soll. Einen Thriller, bei dem man quasi von Anfang an den Mörder kennt, aber so spannend und voller Überraschungen zu gestalten, schaffen auch nicht viele. Und so musste ich doch wieder aufgerundete 4,5* geben. Einziges Manko war, dass es mich nicht von Anfang an komplett gepackt hat.
Ami
Mar 15, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book took place not long after the event of book 5, One by One. In the aftermath of the event ((view spoiler)), Hunter's Captain was giving him a 2-weeks break, in which Hunter was planning to spend it in Hawaii. Until FBI agents come to ask for his help.

Every time I pick up Chris Carter's "Robert Hunter" book, I know that I will be in it for the ride. An Evil Mind was as mind-blowing as previous books even i
Christine
Aug 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
@bookaddictshaun sent me a copy of this book to read and review. Thank you, Shaun!

This is the sixth in a successful series written by Chris Carter, featuring Robert Hunter.

I have been meaning to get my hands on a Chris Carter novel for some time. I am so glad that this one was my introduction to Robert Hunter. I did not feel at any time that I was missing anything jumping into an established series, at this point.

It is a dark crime reader’s dream: a fascinating lead in Detective Hunter, a chilli
Lénia
Mar 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
O senhor Chris Carter tornou-se muito rapidamente no meu autor de thrillers preferido - e eu já li mesmo MUITOS thrillers na vida... A maneira com descreve as cenas mais doentias é brilhante. E a cada livro que passa consegue subir a fasquia mais um bocadinho. E quando achamos que não pode ser mais doentio do que aquilo... ele mostra que sim!!

Para quem gosta de thrillers bem escritos, este autor é incontornável. E só é pena que só haja o primeiro volume da série traduzido para português... (ond
Bonnie Kernene
Apr 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 150for2017, fiction
An Evil Mind is a suspense thriller with Detective Robert Taylor of the LAPD, who is on loan to the FBI for this serial murder case. In this case, the killer is a college friend of Taylor's, who turns out to be a sadistic sociopath who has been killing for the last 25 years. He would only confess if Taylor was brought in, so he was. Wow. From there it is a roller coaster ride of suspense and pure intensity. It was so hard to put down, as I always wanted to know what was going to happen next. The ...more
Coco
Nov 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Richtig kranke Story, aber sehr spannend.
Tracy Fenton
So, this is the 6th book in the Robert Hunter series and if you are looking for sick, twisted serial killers then this is the book for you. If you haven’t read the first 5 – stop right now.. get onto Amazon and download them now and I will see you back here when you’ve finished them. If you have read the first 5 – you are in for a treat.

An Evil Mind is slightly different to the previous 5 books for a couple of reasons, one being that his wonderful partner Carlos Garcia is not featured in this bo
Matt
Sep 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Carter returns with his most thrilling novel yet, pitting LAPD Detective Robert Hunter against the most devious serial killer he's come across to date. When two severed heads turn up at a small-town diner, the locals turn over the case to the FBI as fast as possible. With an unresponsive suspect, the Feds can do nothing to move the case forward. That is, until he gives them an out; send in Robert Hunter. Reluctantly, Hunter agrees to help when he realises that he has a personal connection to the ...more
Kelly
Jul 31, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Chris Carter never fails to serve up a bloody-thirsty gore-fest - WARNING: Adjective may not fully describe the horror of this novel - and this installment was made all the more sinister as it was based on real life events.

I absolutely loved that this novel stepped away from the usual format of Hunter as a somewhat uninvolved lead investigator. It was so thrilling to have him almost in a victim role, ruffled, emotional and out-smarted. This book was a brilliant development of his character with
best serial killer novels 6 36 Sep 08, 2017 04:37PM
2015 Reading Chal...: An evil mind by Chris Carter 1 20 Jun 02, 2015 11:37PM
  • Todesfrist (Maarten S. Sneijder, #1)
  • The Prophet (Shepherd #2)
  • Buried Alive (Carson Ryder, #7)
  • Der Federmann (Nils Trojan, #1)
  • Broken Dolls (Jefferson Winter, #1)
  • Savnet (Ravn #2)
  • Truth or Dare (Brennan & Esposito, #6)
  • Das Joshua-Profil
  • Hellbound
  • Alles muss versteckt sein
  • Der Menschenmacher
  • Dødsenglen (Louise Rick, #6)
  • The Doll Maker (Jessica Balzano & Kevin Byrne #8)
  • Final Cut
  • The Killing Club (DS Heckenburg, #3)
  • The Payback (Dennis Milne, #3)

Biographies can be an absolute drag, so I won’t bore anyone with a long life story.

I was born in Brasilia, Brazil where I spent my childhood and teenage years. After graduating from high school, I moved to the USA where I studied psychology with specialization in criminal b

Robert Hunter (9 books)
  • The Crucifix Killer (Robert Hunter, #1)
  • The Executioner (Robert Hunter, #2)
  • The Night Stalker (Robert Hunter, #3)
  • The Death Sculptor (Robert Hunter, #4)
  • One by One (Robert Hunter, #5)
  • I Am Death (Robert Hunter, #7)
  • The Caller (Robert Hunter, #8)
  • Gallery of the Dead (Robert Hunter, #9)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• Genome (The Extinction Files #2)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • The Wrong Man
    $9.49 $1.99
  • What You Don't Know
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The River Is Dark (Liam Dempsey, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • When They Come for You (Harper McDaniel #1)
  • Murder at Bray Manor : a cozy historical mystery
  • Name of the Devil: A Jessica Blackwood Novel
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Working Fire
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Night Crew (Sean Drummond, #7)
  • The Music of the Deep
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Adventuress (Lady Emily, #10)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Summer Children (The Collector, #3)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • The Good Twin
    $5.99 $2.99
  • An Innocent Client (Joe Dillard, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Speed of Sound (Speed of Sound Thrillers #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Red Bones (Shetland Island, #3)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Bourne Initiative (Jason Bourne, #14)
  • The Good Neighbor
  • Under an English Heaven: An Ellie Kent Mystery
  • Pretty Girls Dancing
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Swansong (DI Nick Dixon #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Have His Carcase (Lord Peter Wimsey #8)
  • My Brother Michael
  • Casino: Love and Honor in Las Vegas
    $19.99 $2.99
  • Mr. Timothy
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Kill Society (Sandman Slim, #9)
  • What Lies Below
  • Silent Child
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The World of Lore: Monstrous Creatures
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Pleasantville
    $12.49 $1.99
  • The Walkers of Dembley (Agatha Raisin, #4)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Killing Orders
  • Heirs of Grace
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Sound of Rain
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hidden Killers (Tennison, #2)
  • What If
  • Come Closer
  • My Best Friend's Exorcism
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Cold Granite (Logan McRae, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Private Lies (Jane Avery #1)
  • Liars, Inc.
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Death Wears a Mask (Amory Ames Mystery, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Sacred Clowns (Navajo Mysteries, #11)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Less Than A Treason (Kate Shugak, #21)
    $9.99 $4.49
  • The Air Raid Killer (Max Heller, Dresden Detective, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • New York Dead (Stone Barrington #1)
  • Heart-Shaped Box
    $11.99 $2.99
  • 15 Seconds
  • You'll Never Know, Dear
  • The Cruelty
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Paragon Walk (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #3)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • CyberStorm
    $4.99 $2.49
  • The Fifth To Die (4MK Thriller, #2)
  • The Secret Mother