Start by marking “The Vampire's Mail Order Bride (Nocturne Falls, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Vampire's Mail Order Bride (Nocturne Falls, #1)

The Vampire's Mail Order Bride

(Nocturne Falls #1)

3.91  ·  Rating details ·  12,065 ratings  ·  1,458 reviews

Living in Nocturne Falls means being yourself. Fangs, fur, and all.

After seeing her maybe-mobster boss murder a
Published June 1st 2015 by Sugar Skull Books (first published May 26th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about The Vampire's Mail Order Bride, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Vampire's Mail Order Bride

·  12,065 ratings  ·  1,458 reviews

Jilly
It was good enough. I like the idea that the town is like a Santa's Village for Halloween. Hmmmm, Halloween Town! What a great idea! I'm going to make millions!

Curse you, Tim Burton! You foiled me again!

Anywhoo....So, yeah, the town is awesome and I will probably read more of the series for that alone. I want this town so much! *Grabby Hands*

But, the hero and heroine were a bit on the bland side, and there is less chemistry between these two than the amount of chemistry I know in my brain. Let m
Ingie
Review written May 14, 2016

2.7 Stars - Sweet, safe and slow

I listened to the 8:45 hours audiobook narrated by B.J. Harrison. — This was a low-priced $2.50 WSfV deal and I took a chance but I'm sorry to say it didn't fully do it for me. It isn't a bad romance story but nearly good enough in my opinion.

**********************************************

After watching her maybe-mobster boss murder a guy pretends the New York girl Delaney James to run away as a "mail order bride". Our sweets baking hero
Hannah G
Mar 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: stand-outs, favorites
I'm rating this book 4.5 stars. When I originally looked into reading this I was weary about the mail order bride concept. But it turns out it wasn't an issue at all. In fact it was pretty absent throughout the book. I almost loved this read. I had no issues with this book at all. Which is a rarity for me. The only thing I would change is I think the relationship between Hugh and Deleny could have used some intensity and better kiss scenes, extra. One of my favourite concepts in this read was de ...more
Gavin
Nov 02, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paranormal
This was a light and fluffy PNR that mixed romance and humor to moderate effect. After the initial exciting start the plot slowed to a walking pace and the romance and humor was just not quite enough to keep me fully engaged.

The premise was pretty interesting. Restaurant worker, Delaney James, accidentally witnesses her mob boss shoot one of his thieving employees. She goes on the run in order to avoid suffering the same fate as the thief. She hides out in a random shop which turns out to be a
Ginger
Aug 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017
3.5 stars!
This was a fun book to read with decent main characters and secondary characters that will likely have their own books.

Delaney James was a fun and likeable character who’s running from the mob after witnessing a murder at the Italian restaurant she works at. She loves all things chocolate and sweet. When she gets nervous, she starts spouting off cooking stats. She flees NYC when she escapes into a matchmaking business and takes one of the files.

Hugh Ellingham is a vampire that has a bu
Heather *Awkward Queen and Unicorn Twin*
DNF at 36%

I have been on a REALLY bad streak of vampire books this month. I thought this one would be light, fun, and inoffensive. And it did start off well, as some other reviews mentioned.

Just a couple chapters in I ran into a problem, but I decided to keep going. And then there was another problem, and another. And I decided I'd had enough because I have so many other things to read and sometimes I just don't want to deal with vampire portrayals I don't like.

So, each of the three problems I m
Deniz
May 17, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Vampire's Mail Order Bride left me surprised on so many levels.

First I was surprised how light hearted this was. It's really a total cute & fluffy PNR. I kinda expect this to be more, well, I don't know actually. Just I guess her previous works I've read are heavier- less cute. Which doesn't actually have any impact on how much I enjoy reading Painter's works. Just like with every other book I read of hers, VMOB is written superbly well. Painters prose is as always beautiful and has dep
Cyndi
Jan 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I want to move to Nocturne Falls! Imagine Halloween all the time. Tourist think the residents are putting on a show but they are actually vampires, werewolves, witches, etc. I have a feeling this is going to be a fun series. 😁
❤️ Dorsey aka Wrath Lover Reviews ❤️

photo 5ae020b0bd3ce802ee52bdb758d240be_zpsvpc0wnc6.jpg

3.5 Nocturnal Stars!!

Delaney James is a fun and likable character who spurts out chocolate facts (she’s an aspiring candy maker) when she’s nervous, loves to bake, and loves her ginormous cat Captain. Delaney’s life takes a turn when she witnesses a murder at the mob owned restaurant she works at. She flees the restaurant to a nearby store which turns out to be a matchmaking business and that gives her the escape she needs from New York. She off to Nocturne Falls, the town of Nocturne Falls i
Tasha and Megan Mahoney
Welcome to Nocturne Falls, the town where Halloween is celebrated 365 days a year. The tourists think it's all a show: the vampires, the werewolves, the witches, the occasional gargoyle flying through the sky. But the supernaturals populating the town know better. Living in Nocturne Falls means being yourself. Fangs and all.
This is a fun, well written supernatural, cozy mystery. The first of the Nocturne Falls series.
I think Delaney is a wonderful character and Hugh is charming and sweet. Their
Kat
Nov 23, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was really cute. Sweet romance with light suspense. Delaney is on the run from the mob and winds up in a small Georgia town where most of the residents are secretly supernaturals and they pretend to celebrate Halloween all year. There, she pretends to be the "match" of mysterious recluse Hugh, who turns out to be a vampire. Things get interesting when she figures out his secret. This book was free for Kindle and I'll definitely read the next one in the series.
Melanie
May 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
**I was lucky enough to receive and ARC of this book from the author**

As followers of my reviews will know I am a HUGE Kristen Painter fan and so when I got the opportunity to read and ARC of her new paranormal romance series "Nocturne Falls" there was no way I could resist.

I will admit to being a little nervous as this series is quite different from her previous Urban Fantasy collections but I needn't have worried because this book is genius!

Set in a town where every day is celebrated as Hallow
Jamie
Nov 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5// Super cute easy read( listen to- did the audible version). Enjoyed this one... wished it had some more steam.. but cute book for sure!
Melindam
3,75 stars

Still a Kindle freebie, if you are in need of a light, entertaining and mostly clean paranormal romance

The best part of this book is the setting: Round-the-year-Halloween-Town to attract tourists & disguise the fact that most of the citizens are actually supernatural creatures (vampires, werewolves, gargoyles, witches, faes, shifters, what-have-you).
This, an endearing set of quirky, secondary characters and the fact that the book does not take itself too seriously (I dislike them p
Douglas Meeks
May 16, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a bit of a surprise for me since most everything I had read by Kristen Painter was pretty much on the serious side of urban fantasy with possibly a touch of humor at best.

This was a fun romp and Delaney and Hugh made a great couple for this story. The humor was good, a bit of a serious background story added to making it a bit more of a quality story that you could get involved in and kept it from being too light and funny.

The basic story is Delaney takes the place of a matchmaking serv
Delta
2.5 stars (ok, and some fun)

I liked the author's sense of humor--sweet and zany, without the over-the-top snarkiness so often found in humorous PNR. The premise of the town populated by supernaturals pretending to be pretending to be supernaturals is fresh, and I enjoyed how the heroine (an aspiring candymaker) calmed herself down when feeling stressed by reciting trivia abou
Lakshmi C
Apr 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is my first book by Kristen Painter.
This is my first book with a mail order bride.
This is the first book that I find difficult to classify...calling it a funny paranormal romance isn't enough.

Delaney is a Pastry Chef who works for The Mob.
How could I resist?
I love my baked goods, I love The Godfather. Throw in some broody vampires. How could I walk away?

A man without a sweet tooth was not to be trusted.
Sound Advice.

She didn’t think it was really mobbed up. Well, maybe it might be a tiny bi
Talltree
Dec 19, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: genre-pnr-uf
Starr (AKA Bam Bam) Rivers
It was snappy. It was OK. It went by fast. I wasn't extremely invested in it, but it it wasn't bad. Made for good bedtime reading. Likely won't read another one tho.
So, I Read This Book Today
I had a really fun Halloween. Well, a fun reading Halloween. Out here we don’t get trick-or-treaters, but I did get to read The Vampire’s Mail Order Bride by Kristen Painter. Truthfully, I am not a vampire lover. As anyone reading my reviews knows, after working in the morgue, the whole ‘kissing the dead’ thing just really doesn’t do it for me. But in this case, the mythology Kristen developed made it a whole lot more fun for me.

Delaney James is in a bad spot. After seeing her boss at the resta
CC
Jan 13, 2016 marked it as dnf
Shelves: not-my-thing
I don't do clean. Maybe one day, but not what I am looking for today.
Margaret
May 16, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-won
This review was originally published at Vampire Book Club and based on a copy provided by the author.

I’ve always loved Halloween. It’s the day after my birthday, so I think at some point I decided it was a holiday all about me. But I also love the witches and ghosts and werewolves, and especially the vampires. So I’m kind of sad that I can’t really move to Nocturne Falls, Georgia “where every day is Halloween.” It has street names like Black Cat Boulevard, and shops like Hats in the Belfry and T
Lexxi Kitty
My second book read by the same author on the same day. And, importantly, both first in their series. Why did I not, instead, read book 2 in the series I read earlier today? Because of two reasons: 1) this book here, the Mail Order one, is actually the main series that the other series spun-off of; 2) and I'd already owned this book - free. So, two free books read same day.

Two things to note: This is much more of a romance book than the other book I read today (Miss Frost Solves A Cold Case) - w
Berit☀️✨
This might be a first; my favorite part of this book was the setting, I absolutely adore Nocturne falls....

The problem might be that I read all the books in the Jane Frost series with the exception of the latest book before I read this.... I really enjoy that series( with the exception of the ridiculous love triangle) The characters are also wonderful and the setting of Nocturne falls just is the icing on the cake... Jane gets all kinds of yummy treats from Delaney‘s bakery, so because this book
Miranda Beazley
May 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received a copy of this book in return for an honest review. For those of you who love a good romance without the intimate bedroom scenes than this is a perfect book for you.

Delaney is a waitress from Brooklyn who accidentally witnesses her boss - a mob boss - killing someone at the restaurant she works. Through some luck on her behalf she steals a file from a dating agency and heads to meet this guy and hide out. Hugh is an old vampire who doesn't want to commit to a serious relationship, but
Meg (booksandwinewithmeg.blog)
2.5 it was good, until it wasn't stars

Let me just put this out there, it was great up until about 50-70%. It was funny, catchy, attention grabbing until it wasn't anymore.

At 30% everything came out in the open....ooookkkaay that was quick but whatever. Great a girl who knows what she wants, takes it and has no regrets.
“This is like Stepford meets the Addams family. Who built this place? Tim Burton?”

"If that was his idea of a collection, then her random assortment of candy molds was more like a
Amy
May 11, 2019 rated it it was ok
What you pay for is what you get. And this is a Kindle freebie so...
But I kind of liked it. I never got into the Twilight phase and the comparisons between the two write themselves. (Heck, the book fully embraces the Twilight comparisons.) The appeal I found in Miss Frost Solves a Cold Case brought me back to Nocturne Falls and it did not entirely disappoint.
I mean, the book screams angst and drama and torrid insta love, but it creates an interesting paranormal environment, a pretty upbeat and
Jessica (a GREAT read)
I received this ARC from the author in exchange for an honest review, I was in no way compensated for this review.

Kristen Painter brings us a new series set in Nocturne Falls where it's Halloween all year around. And that's not to say that the townspeople love the holiday, it's moreso that they are in fact real vampires, witches, werewolves, gargoyles, etc. Tourists flock to the town in droves thinking it's just a quaint and eccentric town, not knowing the creatures here are very real!

The Vampir

• Undead Sublet (Half-Moon Hollow, #2.5)
  • Shifty Magic (Shifty Magic, #1)
  • Biting Nixie (Biting Love Series)
  • Descendants (The Descendants Saga, #1)
  • How (Not) to Kiss a Toad (Cindy Eller, #1)
  • Forever (Fateful, #3)
  • Kairos (Enmortals #1)
  • The Doctor Falls For Her Gargoyle  (A Nocturne Falls Universe story)
  • Fashionably Dead (Hot Damned, #1)
  • How Knot to Marry a Vampire (A Nocturne Falls Universe story)
  • Not His Dragon (Not This, #1)
  • Alchemy (Prophecy Breakers #1)
  • Before Midnight (Blood Prince, #1)
  • Desolation
  • Influential Magic (Crescent City Fae, #1)
  • A Vampire's Soul (Vampire's Promise, #2)
  • Dead Man Calling (Undertaker Mysteries #1)
  • Winterborne (Universe Unbound, #1)
Kristen Painter likes to balance her obsessions with shoes and cats by making the lives of her characters miserable and surprising her readers with interesting twists. She currently writes award-winning paranormal romance and cozy mysteries. The former college English teacher can often be found on twitter @Kristen_Painter, Facebook at www.facebook.com/KristenPainterAuthor where she loves to intera ...more

Nocturne Falls (10 books)
  • The Werewolf Meets His Match (Nocturne Falls, #2)
  • The Gargoyle Gets His Girl (Nocturne Falls, #3)
  • The Professor Woos The Witch (Nocturne Falls #4)
  • The Vampire’s Fake Fiancée (Nocturne Falls, #5)
  • The Shifter Romances The Writer (Nocturne Falls, #6)
  • The Dragon Finds Forever (Nocturne Falls, #7)
  • The Vampire's Accidental Wife  (Nocturne Falls, #8)
  • The Reaper Rescues The Genie (Nocturne Falls, #9)
  • The Detective Wins The Witch (Nocturne Falls, #10)
“she felt as out of place as a meatball in a box of truffles.” 3 likes
“You’ve got me confused with one of those women who needs a ring on her finger to feel complete. I don’t put those kinds of expectations on men. And I’d say I’m sorry things didn’t work out between you and Hugh, but based on your current amount of crazy, I’d say he dodged a bullet.” 2 likes