Start by marking “Glitterland (Glitterland, #1)” as Want to Read:
Glitterland (Glitterland, #1)

Glitterland

(Glitterland #1)

Alternate cover version for isbn: 9781626490246

The universe is a glitterball I hold in the palm of my hand.

Once the golden boy of the English literary scene, now a clinically depressed writer of pulp crime fiction, Ash Winters has given up on love, hope, happiness, and—most of all—himself. He lives his life between the cycles of his illness, haunted by the ghosts of other
Published May 18th 2015 by Riptide Publishing (first published May 15th 2013)

Julio Genao
Jun 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: he knows who he is. but also EVERYBODY ELSE, EVER.
Shelves: loved
just—just lemme finish seeping fluids for a minute.

ok.

so:

i have this one cat who's well crazy, right?

i mean—yyyes, i actually have three, and they're all crazy in fresh and exciting ways*, but one in particular...

it's pretty embarrassing.

i'm not—was not—a cat person by any stretch of anyone's imagination.

but... whatever.

they're here, now.

i didn't ask them to be; they just are.

description

the dude i moved into this place with? he had dogs. so i had dogs.

and one night he was walking the dogs, and he saw this
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
Jun 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Heather K (dentist in my spare time) by: Susan
First thing that I noticed about this book: That cover. Bright lights and a snookie-esk poof? And that title? What the heck is this book about?

Second thing that I noticed about this book: It is getting crazy positive reviews. The hype for this book is off the charts!

Curiosity, engaged. So thanks to a gift from a friend (thanks again, Susan!!) I started reading.

First thing I did while reading this book: Look up an Essex accent on youtube. And proceed to talk with said accent to my husband all. w
Susan
Jun 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-favorites

SO, SOOOOOO GOOD...one of the BEST things I've read all year. Period.

*I don’t want to review this book because my words can’t do it justice.
*I don’t want to recommend this book to anyone because I couldn’t bear reading any critique against it.
*I don’t want to be done with Ash & Darian because they are so odd and flawed and off and weird and easy to judge, but I loved them both so much.
*I don’t want to search Alexis Hall’s GR author page to find this is his only book and there’s not another
Lola
>>>>> OH, THE FEELS <<<<<

I still couldn’t break his gaze. I was dying in the sweetness of looking at him. His eyes. The laughing mouth that had kissed mine, and made me burn and shiver and feel. Chiselled wannabe-model features. The overly tended beard and lashings of fake tan that had somehow stopped being objectionable. It was official: I’d lost it.

Ash… Darian… You belong together. They’re opposites, unbelievably different personality-wise, yet, somehow, they ar
Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘
Apr 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ by: Navessa
WARNING : This is a very personal review. Please don't bother if you can't stand those. Thank you.

I've been in Niall's place. It's not pretty. The kind of ugly that would make hate yourself if you weren't that goddamn pissed. I've read so many beautiful and heartbreaking reviews of Glitterland that I started writing something along the lines of, no matter how hard I've been trying to find the words, they escape me.

Liar. I'm a freaking LIAR.

The words are there, they're cutting through me, such
Maria✦❋Steamy Reads Blog❋✦
Jun 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites

➦This surprisingly hilarious M/M novel is told entirely from a POV of a bipolar and depressed writer by the name of Ash. He struggles through the ups and downs, has panic attacks from being in social situations and has tried to end his life in the past.

Ash meets an Essex model Darian, who he refers to as a "glitter pirate" throughout the book. These two guys are so different but somehow they end up building a relationship and Ash at times finds himself happy, something he hasn't felt in a very
Macky
Jun 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lgbt, own
So I'm on GR right! And I see a well reem comment from my BFF Suze who's read this book by some geeza called Alex Hall and I fink " I'm 'avin some of that babes! " Cos she's well reem that Susan and she knows wot she talking abaht. janartamean?

Anyway there's this fing called a buddy read going on and I fought SHUH UP! I'm joining that . I was a bit miffed because it meant I had to stop reading this really fabulous book called " Fake Tan... The orange years " and I was like WTF!! Wot muppet goes
Emma Sea
I liked it, although I think the book unfortunately suffers from the fact that 90% of m/m is written poorly. This means that when Riptide found an author who could actually write well the editors encouraged Alexis Hall to throw every evocative sentence into the pot, instead of saying, "This is a great second draft: now go rewrite it."

There's a patch just after half way which is marvellous; where the writing gets the hell out of the way and lets the story speak.

Hall created some great characters,
Santino Hassell
Jun 19, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book for several reasons. I'll focus on three primarily because I've forgotten everything I was going to write, but also because I'm lazy.

The first reason I enjoyed this book so much is because I understood Ash to a scary degree. He is far from Prince Charming and might come off cold or selfish in a few instances, but with the exception of the wedding, I always kind of understood why he was that way and related to it just a little. He's an interesting character because it seems l
Lena♥Ribka
My very rare 5 amazing I-WILL-LOVE-YOU-FOREVER-STARS!!!!

****** Update on the 2013-12-12 *********

Re-read on the 2013-12-12
It is not a review, just some thoughts after the re-read:

I don't NORMALLY do re-read.
(I have a re-read-shelf, but it is more symbolically.)

It was November 2013 as I've read it the first time.
It is December 2013 and I have read it the second time.
And I know that I'll read it again. Someday.

I DON'T HAVE ENOUGH WORDS TO EXPLAIN YOU HOW MUCH I LOVE THIS BOOK.
I.LOVE.IT.BADLY
Duchess Nicole
”It was an absurd situation to find myself in, as usual, but I shouldn't have been surprised to find myself in it. Pirates only belonged in fairly tales anyways.”

Is there something in the water over in M/M territory? How is it that every M/M book I read is golden? Or are my book loving friends just THAT awesome? Whatever the case, I have to say that this is probably my favorite of the subgenre that I've read to date. Which is crazy, because it's not about the bulky alpha boys I love to lust fo
Tanu Gill
Nov 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
*There may be some spoilers, so read at your own risk.*

Wow!
Oh, boy!
Umm...
Er...I'll need to take a few moments to decide whether I'm crying or grinning, and then I'll move on with my review.
Okay, I've settled with grinning, and so I'll proceed now...

This book is utterly amazing. (Yes, I was a bit confused at first with those strange titles, such as 'Yesterday', 'Later', 'Today', etc., but once the narrative started to flow) I got on the awesome train that went to "bookworm-fantasy-P
Navessa
Apr 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Navessa by: MY ENTIRE BLOODY FRIENDS LIST

I thought this book was going to make me cry the ugly, unrestrained tears of the blubberkin. I blame Julio's review. For some reason, I associated the salty mushpuddle he turned me into with the book itself. This book didn’t make me cry. It made me laugh. Hard. It made with laugh with the kind of unrestrained mirth of the belligerently intoxicated.

Cackles. They came out of me. In public.

*hangs head in shame*

There are already a lot of beautiful, glowing reviews for this, so instead of adding my o
Shile
“Ooh, that’s aht of order.”

This book is so quotable, so this review is full of quotes.

Babes you are so clever. .”

description

I Loved this Book. The writing was amazing, descriptive, lyrical, just the kind i love, kudos to Alexis Hall. I'm glad i bought the Audio version and it worth every penny.

“He . . . he . . . he’s a kind, ridiculous, beautiful glitter pirate. I don’t know what else I can tell you. He makes me laugh. He makes me hopeful.”

The narrator was superb., exceptional….Alexis Hall plus Nich
Dia

I am so in love with the word BABES!!! LIE-KIT!!!
Oh, and also "glitter pirate"!

This was my first book by Alexis Hall. I must admit I was really anxious because I had very high expectations. And I am so happy it turned out to be a wonderful book. I fell in love with Alexis's writing style!

When I dived in, at first I was overwhelmed by his writing - poetic and unexpectedly charming! Even if I read almost only in English now, I still had to search some words because this is not my native langu
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

We’ll call this that one time when I bit the bullet and took my inspiration from Martha Raddatz - opting to stop resisting Glitterland and just “get this nightmare started” . . . .

Many of my friends (and more than a handful of my enemies) have been causing this book to appear on my feed for the past few years. However, since the average rating amongst people I actually want to associate with on GR sat at an astonishing 4.60 I stayed
Lenore

You guys. I'm in love.

This book is a real gem, with all the natural inclusions that make it special. I could talk about its flaws, the technical aspects, but they don't matter, because this book had what I call the "book oxytocin effect" on me. That is, I fell in love with it. And when you fall in love, you just bask in the euphoria and sod everything and everyone else.

That first chapter? It hit all my pleasure centres. And then? Oh, the delicious anticipation of something you suddenly know you'
Ingie
Aug 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Ingie by: M'rella
Review written August 25, 2015

5 Stars - Janarwhatamean, simply pure MAGIC

I finished the papeback edition earlier today and I'm stunned. ~ Yep, it proved to be an two years dust collectors on my bedside table. ~ Why I didn't read it then, the summer 2013 when Glitterland was newly published and all those happy applauding fans told me it was a absolute "must" read, that's a huge huge mystery. (..Why Ingela? Why??)

I'm slow, too dumb-slow, but at last...
OMG this was a fantastic heartwarming
Ami
This book was a hype because an enthusiastic reader named Susan (who happened to be on my friend list) got an ARC and wrote a darn good intriguing review about it. It was enough to create a massive buddy read (why in the heck she didn't work in marketing was beyond me!). Now that I finished, I had issues on how to rate it.

I liked it ... sometimes. But did I love it? Nope, I didn't. Was this the best read this year, most definitely not. Gah! So where to put this review on the stars category? Sho
Mo
Nov 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5 sparkly stars.

This was such a fun read. Ash and Darian - chalk and cheese.

There are reality TV shows in the UK, set in Essex... Towie, I think is one and The Only Way is Essex. You know something, for all I know they could be one and the same show. I have never watched them but have seen some of the "actors" being interviewed on TV chat shows. The accents ... LOL. So this author has Darian, a guy from Essex and he writes his accent in the book, if you get my drift.

“I gotta say, babes," he
~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~

This hovered near 3 stars for me, but it soared to the 4 star mark in the last chapter, because clearly I'm a sap who can be bought with a happy ending. 3.5 stars thus seems a fair assessment for my overall impression of (and reaction to) this book.

I know a lot of reviewers have criticized the abundant use of the Essex dialect (spelled out phonetically) in the dialogue, but that just added to the story for me. Granted, I have a master's in theoretical linguistics, which qualifies me as
Lisa Henry
Hello, and welcome to my review of Glitterland.

Also known as The Way Lisa's Brain Works.

So, this book has been in my TBR for ages, but I didn't want to read it because:

Exhibit A. It has so many good reviews from people I trust that it is clearly setting itself up to disappoint me. Bitterly.

And when it did, I'd have to have some sort of crisis of faith, where suddenly I couldn't trust any of my GR friends anymore, and seriously, who wants all that trouble? And then I'd be all:

Exhibit B. Glitter
Bev
Aug 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone who appreciates a really good piece of writing!!
***AUDIO REVIEW. 10 Glitter Pirate stars from me. If there is a better UK narrator than Nicholas Boulton, I have no idea who that can be. He blew me away, just so, so good***

A GLITTERING DEBUT NOVEL. I was going to do a shortie review, but there are so many quotes I want to get into this review it would be nigh on impossible to do less than about 5 pages...but I'll try my very best. I ADORED this novel.5 WONDERFUL FAKE TAN ORANGE STARS, AND bring on the dancing girls

First of all I want to say
* Meli Mel *

♥♥♥ 5 'Aww...babes, I Lie-kit' Stars ♥♥♥

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

'I would have told a thousand lies to have him, and a thousand more to keep him'

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

I had heard such great things about this book, but for some reason I kept putting it off. I finally decided to give it a go, and was kicking myself for not reading it sooner. This was fabulous!!

When I first started the book, I thought that this would not be for me. That wa
Mel
Jul 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing

My Review on Prism Book Alliance

So… coughs
Um, it’s kinda incredibly hard for me to write a review for GLITTERLAND because it’s my favourite romance, by my favourite author, and I basically feel that no matter what I’m gonna write it will just never be able to give this book justice, nor be able to mirror my love for it. Because thinking of GLITTERLAND fills me with so much love and thoughts all at once, I don’t know how to get them out.

The writing… sigh… so, so beautiful. I could have quoted the
Gigi
Nov 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Gigi by: Lena♥Ribka

First off, I gotta give a big 'ol shout out and thank you to my GR friend Lena for bringing this book to my attention. To be perfectly honest, the cover had me running for the hills. I had heard and seen a few positive reviews, but I am such a cover snob, and wasn't paying too much attention. This is what my Darian looks like, not that skeevy guy on the cover.

I absolutely adored Glitterland and found it to be an incredibly emotional read. (TO BE ON THE SAFEST SIDE (view spoiler)
Natasha
Lesson of the Day: Glitter Pirates are hot as hell.

I think this book was written specifically for me. No, really. Alexis Hall, did you write this for me? I think you did. Thanks, pal.
Few things are hotter than big, quiffed out pirates wearing silver nail polish (fingers and toes, thank you very much). Maybe if said pirates talk silly, have orange skin, and are obvious hopeless romantics who throw around the word ‘donut’ like ‘idiot’.

He was a ridiculous creature. A vulgar, glittering pirate of a
Kat ☠
"In the past, the universe is a glitterball I hold in the palm of my hand. I am the axis of the world."

*Applies fake tan...*
Nope. Not the right shade, one more layer (or three)...
Okay perfect shade.
 photo Oompa-Loompas1copy.jpg

Now for the hair. I don't fancy sitting for hours having extentions, but needs must....

Things are coming along nicely.

Make-up. I'm not the best at applying make-up. Oh, well... that doesn't matter. As long as I don't look like a clown it's all good.

Lashes. If your eyelids don't flutter in the wind
Shelley
*** MAJOR CRUSH ALERT ***

Right! It’s confession time: My disenchantment with over-worked predictable offerings in the M/M genre had made Glitterland my make-or-break read. I’m serious! I promised myself that if I didn’t like it, I was moving on. Totes dramatic, but that’s how fed up I was. I had to reach rock bottom with my choices before I picked up this book. I’m so terribly ashamed.

But in my defense, I (kind of) didn’t want to read about a posh bi-polar depressive with suicidal tendencies an
Kaje Harper
Jun 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The concept of this book is simple - Ash, an educated, well-off writer with severe depression, meets Darian, a happy-go-lucky poor Essex lad and aspiring fashion model with a sunny disposition. Will the attraction of opposites withstand the fact that they are, well, so opposite? But the execution - ah, that's where this book shines, very brightly indeed.

If English is not your first language, this may be a bit of a slog, since Darian's Essex accent is phonetically rendered. For me, it was beautif
Goodreads Librari...: Add new cover for Glitterland 6 22 May 31, 2015 11:02AM
The Backlot Gay B...: Glitterland, by Alexis Hall 3 30 Sep 07, 2014 06:02PM
Glitterland - Buddy Read! 15.08.14 118 40 Aug 18, 2014 05:00AM
Riptide Publishing: Alexis Hall 40 160 Jun 18, 2014 07:41PM
BIG ARSE BUDDY READ: Aug 24 - Aug 31 181 119 Aug 29, 2013 06:07PM
MOVED to: http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/1462398-big-arse-buddy-read-aug-22---aug-31 39 82 Aug 22, 2013 05:42AM
  • Illumination
  • Too Stupid to Live (Romancelandia, #1)
  • Shaking the Sugar Tree (Sugar Tree, #1)
  • Bodies in Space
  • If It Flies (Market Garden #3)
  • Disasterology 101
  • Resistance
  • Take My Picture
  • Apple Polisher (Rear Entrance Video #1)
  • Life After Joe
  • The Parting Glass (In a Dark Wood, #2)
  • The General and the Horse-Lord (The General and the Horse-Lord #1)
  • Clear Water
  • The Mating of Michael (Sex in Seattle, #3)
  • Muscling Through
  • Gold Digger
  • Loving Jay (Loving You, #1)
  • Starfish and Coffee
Genrequeer writer of kissing books.
“What's your name?"
"A.A.Winters."
"What, that's your name?"
"Yes," I said impatiently, "that's my name."
"That's what people call you?"
"Like in bed, or whatever? They call you A.A.Winters?"
I met his eyes. "No, in bed they call me God."
He laughed again, the same uninhibited cackle. "Like it”
60 likes
“So, lemme get this right. We're gonna make a go of it. You and me? Togevver? Even though I'm orange and you're mental?” 51 likes