Start by marking “Cattery Row (Theda Krakow, #2)” as Want to Read:
Cattery Row (Theda Krakow, #2)

Cattery Row (Theda Krakow #2)

Spiky freelancer Theda Krakow has fallen on a bare patch. Changes at the newspaper have cut her regular assignments, and magazine work is slim. When a call comes in asking her to profile Cool, a gifted musician whos being oddly reclusive, its a welcome relief.
Published December 1st 2007 by Poisoned Pen Press (first published July 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Cattery Row, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cattery Row

Betty
Mar 12, 2014 Betty rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cat Problems

Catteries are being broken into and show cats are being taken and owner is found dead. There are no clues to the perps or what is happening to the cats. Meanwhile Theda life is changing and she is not sure what wants to do. Her ex-boy friend is back in town. Theda and Bill are having problems. Her work life is not going well. Theda turns her time for helping cats and her music. Violet is working on a Halloween party for cats. Theda drives Violet to a pet supply business for provision
Barb Radmore
Cattery Row is Clea Simon's second entry into the Theda Krakow Mystery series, the first being Mew is for Murder. Both are published by Poisoned Pen Press.

Theda Krakow was a reporter covering the music scene until a disagreement with her boss ended that job. So, with a dwindling bank account, a tangled relationship and aging by the day, she is pleased to get a free lance assignment to follow up on the women profiled in a previous article. She is especially happy to get an excuse to be back in to
Nikki
Jan 10, 2008 Nikki rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2007-reads, mysteries
Second in a series, protagonist investigates a murder resulting from suspicions about "kitten mills." Very well done, and the protagonist's career as a rock music critic lends an edginess to the story that keeps it from ever getting too cute.
Peggy Collins
Another Master Piece

I loved the first book in this series and was overjoyed to get the second one!
This book is well written, cozy mystery with a charming g warmth, yet full of intrigue and sure to keep you on Therese of your seat!
Gotta love Musetta! :)
Kat Lebo
Jan 27, 2013 Kat Lebo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thoroughly enjoyed this second in the series novel. Once again Theda Krakow is on the loose, managing to be in the wrong place at the wrong time and landing herself and others in danger. Theda, a freelance writer, is as curious as the cats she loves. With her friends Bunny and Violet, she always manages to insert herself into the middle of a murderous mystery. This time the mystery has multiple layers which include not only cats and cat breeders, but people from past articles on which she has wo ...more
Lbousson
I bought this book because the first one, “Mew Is For Murder,” was a well written and fun piece to read. This one is disappointing. By the first fourth of the book, I was so angry that Theda’s best buds were trying to control her love life, and that they thought they knew her better than herself. It felt like she was being chastised for being single and having a mind of her own. I very rarely root against the protagonist’s friends, but by the middle of the book, I was doing just that.

I was so an
Amanda
Sep 17, 2012 Amanda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hmm. Well, it was clear to me early on in this book that "round" "chubby" "generously built" and other references to overweight were favored adjectives. I found it somewhat distracting how much the author felt the need to remind the reader, repeatedly, that these particular characters are overweight. Really? Cuz I'm not attentive enough to catch that the first time, build a picture of the character in my mind, and move along with the story? Oooookay. Annoyingly, she continues to focus on "heavie ...more
Diane Morasco
Cattery Row is Clea Simon's second foray in the Theda Krakow series.In this sophomore outting Theda's caught up in murder, extortion and cat thefts.In recent months, eight catteries near Boston have been broken into, and expensive show cats stolen.Theda is bewildered over these thefts. Afterall, without documents of their lineage, the cats are practically worthless, so why would anyone steal them?Her friends are having their own problems. Eccentric cat-breeder Rose has received a blackmail phone ...more
Marlyn
Feb 01, 2008 Marlyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was spurred to read Cattery Row by some reviews on DorothyL. It wasn't until I was halfway through it that I realized it was the second in a series, so of course I immediately checked Mew out of the library. Theda (short for Theodosia) Krakow is a freelance writer. It's been a rough few months for her: her boyfriend Rick took a job in another state, and her longtime cat companion James died.

She is just starting to come out of her mourning period (mostly for her cat), and see her friends again
Chazzi
Aug 17, 2016 Chazzi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
A fun read with some interesting characters.

Theda Krakow earns her living writing. Preferring the world of music but will take on bridal articles and an update on an article she wrote profiling prominent women in her area if that is what will pay her bills. One of the women in her update article is a local cat lady who breeds Turkish Angoras and has become a close friend. Another is a blues singer who has been missing from the music scene for quite a bit.

While doing her research and talking with
Kirsti
Nov 07, 2015 Kirsti rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This series is much darker and grittier than your average cat cozy mystery. There is a real music angle too, one that I can't totally relate to due to my love for 90s pop hits and songs that remind me of my favorite movies. My partner, who is into more unique and interesting bands, often tells me I have a terrible taste in music, but meh. Still, I could relate to Theda's love of music by applying it to other things I love, like being in a fandom (kind of)

Despite the focus on music, there was sti
Emily
Jan 15, 2017 Emily rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book starts out slow. Theda wasn't a very likable character. I got tired of her internal struggle on which guy she liked. Tired of her talking about her "scene" and no one understands her. This character just seemed full of herself. The mystery got interesting after 1/3 of the book or so, but I couldn't get beyond my dislike of Theda. Happy to be done.

Also, it interested me that all the men had typical names - Bill, Rick, etc. and all the women had unique names - Theda, Cool, Violet, Caro,
Roberta
I picked up this book because it was (supposed to be) a mystery involving cats. Turkish angoras were specifically mentioned in the synopsis on the back cover but the cats actually involved in the mystery are ragdolls. The Theda Krakow is a freelance writer who writes about punk rock and has the seemingly required disfunctional relationships with two men. There were a few details about freelance writing that made the character seem real but I don't know any freelance writers who actually make a l ...more
Sara Kuberski
The book jacket said this book was better than the first one in the series, but I disagree. Both started out extremely slow, however about half way through the first one picked up and I cruised through it. With this one I kept waiting for something to pick up but it never did. The book held my attn but just barely. I was very disappointed. The only reason I finished it was because I wanted to read book three, which I had read about in LJ. The book had a few moments but overall I was not impresse ...more
Grey853
Sep 14, 2010 Grey853 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, cozy
Nora Ray
I like books with cats in them and this has several. It is number 2 in a series about Theda Krakow, a freelance writer with a fuzzy cat named Musetta. The characters were young and fresh; somewhat different than the run of the mill heroines. I felt it jumped a bit much and sometimes lacked continuity but over all it was a decent read and I will probably look for other books in this series.
Lois Hecksel
With a slow start, too much focus on unnecessary details (like her poor finances repeatedly mentioned), detailed cat information, and the sleuth talking to herself, this cozy mystery at first seemed like a slow schlep through the first half. Reading became easier and the plot more enticing in the second half of the book.
Susan
Aug 21, 2012 Susan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I had only just finished the 1st one in this series of cozy mysteries, and read this the 2nd as I had right under my nose. Again I liked the Cambridge setting, the struggling newspaper background, all the feline information and the feisty heroine more enamored of her cat than any man she meets.
Jeanette
Just a good book.
Shonna Froebel
Jan 19, 2014 Shonna Froebel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Prize-winning cats get stolen.
Theda isn't sure about her future with her boyfriend, and continues to have money issues.
Diana Petty-stone
A freelance writer, a purple haired rocker who rescues cats and some very interesting characters all make this a very entertaining cozy mystery. 2nd in the series.
Chris
Apr 12, 2015 Chris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book. Mystery, cats, music, it all comes together in a nice read.
Annenz
Aug 07, 2012 Annenz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book.If you like non-verbal cats who do not solve crimes and you like music, this is a good series for you.
This is the second in the series.
Mary
Mary rated it really liked it
May 06, 2009
Twyla
Twyla rated it liked it
May 27, 2010
Sally
Sally rated it liked it
Apr 04, 2010
Wanda Kruse
Wanda Kruse rated it really liked it
Feb 12, 2014
Margaret Datko
Margaret Datko rated it really liked it
Apr 22, 2014
Phillis
Phillis rated it really liked it
Sep 05, 2010
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • A Killer Column (Mystery by the Numbers, #2)
  • Murder Off the Books (Sullivan Investigations Mystery, #1)
  • Set Sail for Murder (Henrie O, #7)
  • Finger Lickin' Dead (A Memphis BBQ Mystery #2)
  • Harrowing Hats (A Renaissance Faire Mystery, #4)
  • Ink Flamingos (Tattoo Shop Mystery, #4)
  • Better Off Wed (Annabelle Archer, #1)
  • Sit, Stay, Slay (Kendra Ballantyne, Pet-Sitter Mystery #1)
  • What Lies in Shadow
  • Best Intentions
  • Paint It Red
  • Safe Harbor
  • A Murderous Glaze (Clay and Crime, #1)
  • Turn Up the Heat (A Gourmet Girl Mystery, #3)
  • Grace Interrupted (Manor House Mystery, #2)
  • Unraveled (A Knitting Mystery, #9)
  • How to Moon a Cat (The Cats and Curios Mystery Series, #3)
  • Carbs and Cadavers (A Supper Club Mystery, #1)
Clea Simon is the author of the upcoming "World Enough," a rock 'n' roll noir. Her "As Dark As My Fur," the second Blackie and Care mystery, is just out now, following "The Ninth Life," in the adventures of the pink-haired Care and the black feral cat who loves her. In addition to these darker books, she is also the author of the Dulcie Schwartz feline mysteries, the Pru Marlowe pet noir mysteries ...more
More about Clea Simon...

Theda Krakow (4 books)
  • Mew Is for Murder (Theda Krakow, #1)
  • Cries & Whiskers (Theda Krakow, #3)
  • Probable Claws (Theda Krakow, #4)