Start by marking “The Origin of Overweight” as Want to Read:
The Origin of Overweight

The Origin of Overweight

liked it 3.00  ·  Rating details ·  9 ratings  ·  8 reviews
For Insight and Sunlight

Why is it so easy to gain weight and yet so difficult to lose it?

Why is extra weight so bad for your health if it is just a store of energy?

Why have no safe and effective weight-loss drugs been developed?

Why is obesity higher among the rich in poor countries and among the poor in rich countries?

Why is the prevalence of obesity particularly high in i
Published November 26th 2015 by Lilian John Books (first published July 8th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Origin of Overweight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Origin of Overweight

liked it Average rating 3.00  ·

Start your review of The Origin of Overweight
Loes
Sep 05, 2015 rated it did not like it
I won this book in a goodreads giveaway

Original Review Found at: https://loesreads.blogspot.nl/

I’m a nutrition and dietetics student. That’s probably why I was interested in this book in the first place, but I was very disappointed in this book.

There was so much wrong with this book that I wanted to put it down after reading maybe 1 chapter. I’m no expert on vitamin D but I do know something. But even without knowing about vitamin D you could see that most point she made on why vitamin D was t
Raluca Sandu
Jul 21, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: firstreads
I have just finished “The Origin of Overweight” (I’m a hero!) and I am just horrified. The hypothesis on which this book is based, as well as the demonstration, it is just nonsense.

When I started reading the book, I was quite surprised at the theory and told to myself “Hmm I never thought about that one, but why not?”; I was intrigued and this intrigue kept me reading.

However, the theoretic explanations were tedious and it just didn’t add up for me.

To make it short, what the author believes and
Anne
Jun 19, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: other
I received this book from Goodreads and whilst I say I've finished it I actually haven't but thought that if I leave off reviewing it until I had it would be many moons away.
This is a science based book with the author suggesting that maybe there is a connection between the fact that populations in most of the world are getting fatter and the problem nowadays with the body manufacturing enough vitamin D due to pollution, skin cancer scares etc.
It is in places very readable but then the actual s
Adele
Sep 20, 2015 rated it liked it
I received this book in the Goodreads First Reads Giveaway. I initially found this book overwhelming, firstly because of it's overall size and secondly after an initial flick through I could see all the science analogies, equations etc jumping out at me.

For the most part it was interesting and made a lot of sense. Definitely another perspective and something to give consideration to.
Jeanette
Jun 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I was pleased to have received this book in the Goodreads First Reads Giveaway.

This was a little different to the usual books that I read, but I did enjoy. The book was very well written and the author certainly knew her subject. I have often wondered about 'why' as I'm slightly overweight myself, and those thoughts have now been answered. Recommended.
Ruth
Jun 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
This is a very informative book in which you can clearly see the time and the passion the author has for this subject. It was very interesting to read, my favourite part being the different interpretations of personal stories. I received this book from a Goodreads First reads giveaway in exchange for an honest review.
Chloe Macphail
Sep 04, 2015 rated it liked it
as a science and sociology student at college i found this book interesting. the book was so informative and thought out
Roxanne
Sep 26, 2016 rated it it was ok
Long book that could have been much shorter. Question some of the content.
Cecilia Dunbar Hernandez
Cal Littlehales
Jun 15, 2015
Fiona Foskett
Jun 16, 2015
Yvonne Foss graduated from King's College London and worked as a postgraduate in medical research. She is the author of Vitamin D deficiency is the cause of common obesity, a highly downloaded and cited publication in the journal Medical Hypotheses. She is a member of the Royal Society of Biology. ...more