Start by marking “Prep for Doom” as Want to Read:
Prep for Doom

Prep for Doom

From the imaginations of twenty authors of dystopian and post-apocalyptic fiction comes PREP FOR DOOM - an integrated collection of short stories that tell the tale of a single catastrophe as experienced by many characters, some of whom will cross paths. What begins with a seemingly innocuous traffic accident soon spirals into a global pandemic. The release of Airborne Vir ...more
Published May 24th 2015 by Createspace Independent Publishing Platform

To ask other readers questions about Prep for Doom, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Prep for Doom

Start your review of Prep for Doom
Amy Bartelloni
Apr 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
I am so honored to be included in this amazingly talented group of authors :). I'm blown away by the level of collaboration on this project! The stories fit together so seamlessly that you almost forget it's an anthology. The story arc is well defined from one story to the next, and the highs and lows of the characters make it hard to put down!
Brea Behn
An amazing and moving collection of post apocalyptic short stories. Written around a central story, it is like unlocking a secret one story at a time. You won't want to put it down.
Casey Hays
It was an honor to have my story included in this amazing collaboration. Prep for Doom is the product of twenty different minds pulling together to form one of the most unique works to this day. Journey with the characters at they struggle to understand a world newly devastated by a fast-moving and incurable virus. Be prepared to see the best and worst of human nature through a cast of characters bent on finding their loved ones, keeping their sanity, and surviving against all odds.
Angie Taylor
Apr 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a fantastic compilation of different points of view of what life might be like during an apocalypse! I loved all the different stories and how details tied in from story to story. This is a great gloom and doom kind of story, but ends with a hint of hope.
Cheree Castellanos Edits
What a ride! It took a minute to adjust to the concept of authors changing each chapter, to a different story line spinning an intricate web. But once you remember that, and it doesn't take long, it is simply amazing! You get so many different "real feels" because they are coming from different people who feel and look at things differently. Kind of mind blowing when you sit down at the end and think about it all. Very deep. Left me reeling for days. Contemplating it all. Wondering what happened ...more
Erin
ARC from NetGalley for review.

The Acknowledgements section of this book calls it an "anthology that reads like a novel." While that may have been the goal, it fell a bit short of that.

It's a difficult task to hand twenty writers (I don't believe I had previously heard of any of them) an outline of a general storyline and then have them try to create a coherent "novel." What we have is a collection of somewhat related short stories set primarily in post-apocalyptic America. As with any work of
Kelsey
This anthology takes you on a wild rollercoaster of a journey when disaster strikes. The "snapshot" moments from over twenty different characters create a jagged, raw puzzle that flows beautifully when put together. There's moments that capture the beauty of Faith, and then, there's moments that carry the bad and ugly sides of a worldwide pandemic. Prep for Doom is like nothing you'll ever read. Absolutely worth five stars in my opinion.
I’d just rather read 📚
The author kindly provided me an ARC for my honest review.
I loved how each chapter was about a different character but still managed to stay connected be it an item or a person. It was a great take on the apocalyptic genre. The ending, left me shocked and wanting more! All the authors who collaborated to put this book together, genius!!!
Mary
Apr 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Prep For Doom is a collaboration of epic proportions! Twenty Authors weave together an apocalyptic viral disaster. There are ups and downs. Times when I thought I couldn't take anymore devastation and times that I was renewed in my faith in humanity. Tears and chuckles. You won't want to miss this one!!
Curly Carla Celebrity Readers
I got this ARC because I know people and those people like me. Kind of.....
No seriously, honest review and all that jazz.
This is my all time favorite genre so when I was approached to review it I damn near jumped out of my chair. This is an anthology, and truth be told I don't think I have ever read one before. Now I think all others may be ruined for me. Because it was effing fantabulous!

So the details: this book is classified as dystopian. It was a decent size but I couldn't really say speci
Ceej47
May 21, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed this anthology comprising 20 chapters all linked, it reads like a novel and yet each chapter is distinct. Will definitely be looking out for other books by the band of dystopian authors.
Kristin Dutt
Apr 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book has it all and it's amazing how twenty authors created this awesome story and how well each story goes with the other. I highly recommend to any prepper/dystopian fan out there. This is going in my favorites of the year book. Yes it's huge so your for sure getting your monies worth. It sucks you in and you can't help but read it till the end.

No spoilers but wow what a turn of events in this novel and the characters in it. I'm so impressed with it and loved how it ended. It truly is a g
Stephanie Runion
Apr 24, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A collection of short stories by a great group of authors from the Facebook group Band of Dystopian Authors and Fans. Prep for Doom follows a number of people from many points of view following a catastrophic viral event.
It is a unique reading experience, as you get to see the apocalypse from a vast number of viewpoints before the picture clarifies. A must read for anyone who enjoys this genre!
Laura  Hernandez (TheVoluptuousBkDiva/YABkDivas)
I received an eARC in exchange for an honest review. I made no guarantee of a favorable review and the opinions expressed here are my own.

If you haven't read Prep For Doom then I highly recommend that you get started. Every story though written by individual authors creates one amazing and well written viral apocalyptic event full of unexpected twists and turns.

Well crafted and full of vivid imagery and strong characters. Get ready for the ride of your life.
Beverly Laude
Dec 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017, kindle, apocalyptic
I have read books by many of these authors and have loved everything they have written. This collection of tales does not disappoint!

A virus is released on the world and millions start dying. Some people appear to be immune and others are just trying to stay uninfected. There are preppers, government workers, TV reporters, kids, teenagers, older couples, and just common folks in this collection. Of course, you wonder if the government is involved, is there an evil corporation involved, is there
Kathryn Svendsen
I’ll be honest; I don’t often review collections of short stories because I find the reviews so hard to write. This one was different however. First of all, it was referred to me by an author whose work I had read before. Secondly the stories were all related and supposed to tell one tale. That intrigued me since each author’s story was their own.

I was very pleasantly surprised at how well integrated the stories actually were. Each of the stories had their own characters, although there were a f
Hilary
A unique concept, and one that worked well: a group of writers, each writing a short story about the same dystopian current/near-future event, but instead of making a disparate anthology it's actually a novel, building one large story from multiple different pieces. It's almost like a spiraling mosaic path, where each piece is different but the pieces together take you on a journey, occasionally crossing but all the while progressing.

It reminds you that despite depictions in movies there are no
Katy
Apr 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the things I loved most about PFD was the fact that every short story intertwined with each other, making the entire anthology one complete plot line. I’ve read only a couple other anthologies (see my review for The Zombie Chronicles here), but this seems to be a unique idea. I would love to revisit more anthologies that have this idea in mind!

Additionally, I have found that with other anthologies, there are one or two stories that don’t make sense all the way with the theme of the anthol
Colby
Apr 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My hat is off to the authors of Band of Dystopian. Prep For Doom is possibly the most difficult type of collaboration to pull off. Rather than a group of authors writing a story together, in this book, each chapter was written by a different author, yet they flow together seamlessly to make a breathtaking overall story. Something I would have thought was nearly impossible, they all seem to feed off of each other's styles, creating sort of a "master style" that the whole book carries throughout. ...more
Fawn
Apr 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Are you ready? Twenty authors all adding a block to this overwhelmingly emotional picture of a world consumed by a pandemic....... I felt everything from anger and disgust, to happiness and hope as I made my way along these individual stories. This was perfectly crafted and well written. You will enjoy reading this either a piece at a time, or all the way through since you won't want to put it down. This is the sort of read that will have you thinking to yourself about what you just read as well ...more
Jane
I was amazed at how seamless this story was - I thought it was going to be an anthology, but it's one story, written in 20 chapters by 20 different authors. It manages to be cohesive, while giving us snapshots of what's going on in the midst of a viral apocalypse. Most of the characters are only in their 1 chapter, but several appear in more than one chapter and that helps to tie the whole thing together.

I loved the book - my favorite kind of read is a viral apocalypse, so this was perfect for m
Kathy
I LOVED LOVED this anthology. I loved the way all the authors worked their stories around a central theme about an apocalyptic event. Every story is so well written and draws you into the whole book. It is seamless and it is probably the best one I have read.
Each author brings their own personal touch to their story within the book.
If you are looking for a great read to pass the time waiting on an apocalypse, this is for you.
Aret
Jul 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was the most amazing, outstanding anthology I have ever read. Never have I read one so well put together and intertwined like this one. Twenty authors came together with a common idea and created a story so intense, so captivating...so edge of your seat thrilling. Once I picked it up, I could not put it down.

It is so incredible how well this book was created..these different stories that fit together so well. I 100% recommend giving this one a read!
Marcia
Apr 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow, what a unique undertaking to bring twenty authors of dystopian and post-apocalyptic fiction together to tell one horrific, yet terrific story. Each author’s style blends naturally into the next, as they describe a variety of characters trying to survive a major viral epidemic. I especially enjoyed when a few earlier characters appeared again later in the book. Fans of disaster books will love PREP FOR DOOM.
Tracy Ratcliffe
May 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was lucky enough to be offered a preview copy of this dystopian anthology by 20 authors and I thought it was great! It was 20 different stories and viewpoints of the effects of an apocalyptic virus. It sustained my interest throughout and with characters and themes cleverly interlinked, it read just like a novel. I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Rebecca Colby
Oct 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
In this anthology, 20 YA authors come together to write about a virus epidemic. Each author has written their own short story about the same epidemic, which together creates one longer story. The weaving of the tales into one has been done so effectively, and if you enjoy dystopian fiction, you’ll love this unique book.
Sydnie Beaupré
So awesome

This is a great anthology, so many fantastic authors in one action packed, emotionally charged book. I couldn't put it down! Go Band of Dystopian! Can't wait for the next anthology!
LisaMarie
Dec 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Prep for Doom is an amazing piece of work! An anthology by 20 different talented authors, each providing a spoke that is connected to the hub...A viral apocalypse. Unique stories with interesting characters that took me on a gambit of emotions.
Although this is a work of fiction, it seems pretty accurate to what I believe the world to be like in the event of a real outbreak.
I loved how some of the same characters would make appearances in different stories by different authors. It brought a sense
LisaMarie
Dec 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Jane
Jun 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: apocalyptic
This is my third reading of Prep For Doom, and I pick up on new things each time I read it.

I thought this would be a short story anthology, but it's 20 chapters written by different authors that somehow reads as a single book.

I highly recommend this book!
Dystopian Society: * Prep For Doom 15 44 Jul 31, 2015 05:23AM

• The Rescue
  • Forgetting What I Couldn't Remember (The Rewind Duology)
  • 24 Hours Crochet Hacks: 25 Fast and Easy Crochet Hat Patterns for Beginners
  • Crochet For Beginners: A Comprehensive and Phased Beginner's Guide Allowing You to Learn Crocheting in a Very Simple Way
  • Pandemic (The Survivors #1)
E.R. Arroyo is the author of YA dystopian series, Antius Ascending, and co-founder/owner of Band of Dystopian Authors and Fans, a Facebook community, blog, and company that champions dystopian, apocalyptic, and post-apocalyptic fiction. E.R. is passionate about books, music, and her family, and she loves to talk shop with other authors and with her readers.

News & Interviews