Start by marking “Whatever Next!” as Want to Read:
Whatever Next!

Whatever Next!

The moon and back before bathtime? Whatever next! Join Baby Bear as he finds a rocket, makes friends with an owl and has a picnic on the moon! This enlarged edition is the second Bear family adventure following the bestselling 'Peace at Last'.
Published July 6th 2007 by MacMillan Children's Books (first published 1983)

To ask other readers questions about Whatever Next!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Whatever Next!

Start your review of Whatever Next!
Mehrin Ahmed
Jan 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book tells the story of a bear who finds household objects and turns them into a helmet, space boots and a rocket so he can go to the moon. On the way he encounters an owl who joins him on his journey. They land on the moon and have a picnic but eventually get bored, and thus decide to go back home. When he arrives home his mother does not believe him. A brilliant story about creativity and imagination.

After studying this book with a class of nursery children, I believe that it is great
Hollie Westmore
This book is what I always use during a space theme! This book lends its self so well when planning and implementing a creative curriculum. Baby Bear pretends to go to the moon for a tea party with owl in a make shift rock made from a cardboard box and a colander for a space helmet! I found children love to re- enact this story with large boxes, wellington boots and colanders! I highly recommend this book for children in the EYFS to support a space theme.

I like how at the end of the story Baby
Nadia
Jun 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is a lovely story about Baby Bear who is determined to go to the moon. His mother tells him that he cannot go to the moon without a rocket so he searches his house and finds a rocket (a cardboard box), a space helmet (a sieve) and some space boots and then he is off on an adventure. When Baby Bear lands on the moon he has a picnic with an owl he met on the way there. I have fond memories of reading this book as a child. I think that this would be a great book to use in a drama lesson as it ...more
Iqra Hussain
Whatever next! A wonderful, adventurous book that is brilliant for allowing children to drift their thoughts outside of this world and into space. The main theme in this book is simply the riveting imagination of young Baby Bear of going to the moon while Mrs Bear gets his bath ready. The dialogue between Baby Bear and Mrs Bear demonstrates an ordinary conversation that many parents have with their children, the thoughts and experiences of children in comparison to parents and how Mrs Bear ...more
Naomi Stafford
Apr 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book is a nice introduction to going on an adventure. This book is a nice book to act out, to evoke imagination. I would use drama with the cardboard box that first act out the story but then also plan their next adventure. What is the box next? Is it still a space rocket or is it now a boat or submarine or is it a train? Of if we close the lid and then open it, are we somewhere new?
It could also be linked to writing diary entries, a diary entry from baby bear, what did he get up to? how
Isobel
Jan 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Whatever next! Is an exciting book where a bear goes on an adventure to the moon. The book would be good for developing childrens imagination and it could be used a a starting point for story writing. The children could use the idea of the adventure and think of some where they could travel to in a cardboard box.

The illustrations were basic with beautiful colours and details. The page that are dark are celebrities because the white writing and white illustrations stands out on this page.
Emma
Jan 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Studied with Year One in literacy who also enjoyed using it in drama to act out the plot. Detailed illustrations.
Claire Holloway
Jul 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was one of my favourite books as a child and I have witnessed many children enjoy this book. I would definitely recommend it.
Bobbie Jo
Oct 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Whatever Next by Jill Murphy is a childrens story about a bear who, whilst getting ready for bed, flies to the moon in his box rocket, his colander helmet and his friend the owl.
This story would be suitable for whole class reading in reception, nursery and year 1, and suitable for independent reading in year 1, as it may be slightly too easy for some year 2 and slightly too long for reception children. In terms of subject areas, this story could be used to inspire imagination in story writing
Papia Sultana
Sep 17, 2012 rated it liked it
The book Whatever Next by Jill Murphy is a really good childrens picture book. In the story Baby Bear looks out of the window one night and notices the moon. He then decides he wants to go to the moon just before bath time. However, he is told by his mother that he needs a rocket. He finds a rocket, space helmet and space boots and sets off for his adventure to the moon. On his way he becomes friends with an owl. Baby Bear and owl enjoy a picnic on the moon before he sets back for Baby Bears ...more
Nazrul
May 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
Following on from Jill Murphys Peace at Last, I read Whatever Next to my Reception Children. This was a fantastic read and got their minds racing. They were asking about the Moon, what it looks like and if they can go there! So, I thought Id take them to the moon. Using this as a stimulus for a role play, I set the hall as a moon (and even added in new characters to get more children involved). This was excellent fun and an excellent way to get children talking.

It can be used in a number of ways
Stacey Scanlon
May 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Whatever Next by Jill Murphy is a story about Baby Bears imaginary adventure to the moon. He finds a box under the stairs and pretends its his rocket, and uses a colander as his space helmet. The story describes his adventure to the moon and who he meets along the way. The children in Reception loved the illustrations and acted out the scenes during free play. It is a brilliant story about creativity and imagination. We also used this book as a cross curricular link to numeracy when we were ...more
Lorna Bellingham
May 01, 2012 rated it liked it
A great book for Early Years to read. It's about a baby bear who wants to go to the Moon so he builds himself a rocket from a cardboard box and flys up through the chimney. He meets an owl and they have a picnic on the Moon together. Baby bear finds it a bit boring so they fly home so he can have a bath. It has whole page pictures and no more than 3/4 lines of text on each page. It would fit in nicely with a topic on Teddy in space/Teddy goes to the Moon.
Rumena Khatun
May 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is a much loved childrens book. Baby bear wants to go to the moon so he makes a rocket out of a box. This book is beautifully illustrated with the popular Baby bear character from Peace at last. It taps into childrens imagination as they can too get a box and imagine that they are flying to the moon. When the mum says whatever next, it suggests that Baby bear did in fact visit the moon and it was not imagination. ...more
Sharon
Nov 03, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Courageous Baby Bear had better things to do than take a bath. He found a rocket under the stairs, a space helmet and boots. He took off up the chimney and away to the moon. After a picnic on the moon, Baby Bear returned home just in time for his bath. This book is a lovely adventure story that I have used during circle with nursery children to promote imaginative talk. Teachers could use this books an introduction to a creative writing assignment for upper key key stage1.
Sajeda Assenjee
Dec 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
This classic Jill Murphy book was a favourite in the class. The story of little bear finding his rocket, space boots and space helmet and flying to the moon. The children enjoyed collecting these items and pretending to fly to the moon. The pictures bring this story to life and there are so many activities that can completed from reading this book.
Melissa Namba
A cute story about a little bear who wants to go to the moon before he takes a bath. He uses his imagination and gets dirty doing it, but he gets to the moon. And then he takes a bath. I like that he prepares for safety issues.
Sue Lilley
Feb 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My little granddaughter (nearly two) adores this book. Shes learned so many words from pointing at things in the lovely pictures moon, clock, owletc. She always chooses it from the pile and has started reading it to her doll. Its doubly enjoyable that the book belonged to my daughter when she was tiny. She loved it so much that I kept it for over thirty years. It hasnt dated at all. Can highly recommend all Jill Murphys books. We have the full set and have bought them numerous times as gifts. ...more
Richard Newbold
Feb 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A magical tale for very young readers about a young bear who makes a rocket and a space suit out of a cardboard box and a colander and heads off to the Moon, accompanied by his teddy and a friendly owl he meets on the way. Sumptuous illustrations, full of detail to interest the observant child, and a fantastical scenario constructed with everyday objects of the sort likely to be to hand in the room where this bedtime story casts its magical effect.
Kate
Sep 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: other-fiction
Another story for my niece, though I am not going to lie that I did want to read the sequel to Peace at Last, a favourite of mine when I was a child.
Nov 04, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 3-stars, children-s

I did not like this as much as Five Minutes Peace, but it's a good book to read with little ones who have a lot of imagination.
Hemangini Patel (lilbylil_mypet)
Found this book by luck in my training center. With training I also fed my mind some fun and love.. It is a beautiful book for children. Must read to your kids.
Ruth
Nov 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A lovely story that I remember from my own childhood.
Andrew
Jan 22, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s
Nice. I can see why it's an enduring classic.
Tom Garrett
Jan 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Witnessed this text be used during SBT 2 as a basis for a creative writing session based around a trip to the moon. It is a charming tale that fully engaged the cohort of Year 1s and 2s.
Gauss the Panda
Nov 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An amazing book about an amazing adventure!
Jenna Mills
Nov 21, 2019 rated it liked it
Very sweet
Beth
Jan 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
One of my favourite stories to read to an early years class. This story is fun and exciting and provides lots of opportunities for the use of props, story sacks and role play.
Amy Nicholson
Oct 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant book for KS1 - I remember when I was in year one and we did a whole term based around this book - it was used across the curriculum.
Fabulous story and illustrations.
Wayne Farmer
Sep 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids, baby-bear
Wonderful little story about using your imagination. My 7 month old seemed to love it too.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Rumble in the Jungle
  • The Paper Dolls
  • Where's My Mom?
  • You Choose
  • Lost and Found (The Boy, #2)
  • The Snail and the Whale
  • Frog on a Log?
Jill Murphy is a London-born English children's author, best known for The Worst Witch series and the Large Family picture books. She has been described as "one of the most engaging writers and illustrators for children in the land."

Jill Murphy was born in London and attended the Ursuline Convent in Wimbledon which, together with the boarding school stories she enjoyed reading, provided much of