Start by marking “How To Not SUCK At Writing Your First Book: A Book On Writing For People Who Hate Writing” as Want to Read:

Have you always been a TERRIBLE writer? Have you spent months or years trying to write a book, with continued failure?

Are you stuck in the vicious cycle of SUCKING at writing?

Or maybe you’ve been thinking of writing a book for quite some time now, and you just don’t know how to get started. The whole process seems overwhelming.

This conversational and action oriented
Published May 27th 2015

To ask other readers questions about How To Not SUCK At Writing Your First Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How To Not SUCK At Writing Your First Book

Start your review of How To Not SUCK At Writing Your First Book: A Book On Writing For People Who Hate Writing
Cecily
I don't want to read this. I just want to bookmark it.
And now I notice that this is the 666th book I've added.

It was the subtitle that leaped off the screen: "A Book On Writing For People Who Hate Writing". That, and, in the GR summary, the apparently random mix of CAPITALS for shouting, bold for emphasis, plus some italics for good measure.

So I went to "Look Inside" on Amazon, and it continues in the same excitable, baffling vein.

There may be some useful advice buried here - I openly admit I
Matt
Dec 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
A good book on beginner writing. Covers all the basic points but more suited to nonfiction than a novel.
Krisz
Aug 14, 2015 rated it liked it
Nicely put together, though meant for non-fiction writers.
I felt a lack of explanation on how to find your themes, how to collect what you know about. It's a no-brainer: sit down and think of things you like: in your job, in your free time or at home. What topic you like talking about. And check out any catalogue for books, for example on Smashwords.
The chapter for writers' block was weak too, even if we're talking about non-fiction. Though I wonder if we can actually talk about WB when writing
A
Jun 16, 2015 rated it did not like it
This book feels rushed and incomplete. I feel If I would take on the advices of the author, I would end up with a book draft just the same quality as this one: not very good.
Thankfully this book was short so I didn't waste too much of my time.
Amber Rose
Jan 01, 2017 rated it liked it
Mainly for non fiction writers who already know their topic quite well, because that was me - I found it rather useful. If you're writing fiction, this book might come across as a bit of a get rich quick scheme (its not, but it will easily alienate those who write for the love of it but are just struggling). If you're struggling to just get your thoughts organised and the words on paper there are some real gems here for you, hence the three stars.

However, this book just feels unpolished, it can
Clément Moissard
Aug 20, 2018 rated it liked it
This review is biased because I read "Published", the author's next book. And they are basically the same book, which is vaguely annoying.

If you had to choose between both though, take the other one.

This one is quite precise (to the point where you end up thinking : "Chandler, do you think I'm that stupid ?") about the possibilities you have to write a book.

"How To Not SUCK ..." is quite encouraging, it makes writing sounds possible?
It doesn't talk much about how to publish, etc. Which was not
Rebekah Loveless
Dec 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great book worth all the money I spent on it

Great book enjoyed it very much a must read for aspiring authors I would highly recommend I am a Christian comic book author and this book helped me a lot
Lyle E
Apr 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Concise Writing Advise

Great introduction to Mind Mapping and creative techniques to move beyond the blank page to a growing word count. Energetic and motivational in its delivery and implementation.
Scott Allan
Jun 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: chandler-bolt
CHANDLER BOLT HAS DRILLED DOWN THE WRITING PROCESS TO A SCIENCE THAT IS FUN AND ENGAGING!

In this new book on how to write a book by Chandler Bolt, Self-Publishing Wizard and founder of the SPS [Self-Publishing School] comes a book that instructs want-to-be-published-writers who struggle with there writing process on how to find the WHY and the PURPOSE to writing their first book. Writing is hard work, but it doesn't have to be as hard as most people make it out to be. In "How To Not Suck At
Nirupama P.R.V.
Oct 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: writing
Wonderful! Handy, practical and useful- changed my ideas of how to write a book!
Pamela Fernandes
Jun 08, 2016 rated it it was ok
I received this book for free when I signed up for Kindlepreneur.
This book is mainly for non fiction writers. Its short and has a few nuggets of wisdom, that you will have to sift through. I liked the four chapters on creative, innovator, speaker and outline/ mind mapping. That was the only useful thing about the book. It can be inspirational if you're stuck in a rut, because the book gives you the idea repeatedly to get on with it.
What the book really is? Its an attempt to build a mailing
Kirby Ingles
Sep 05, 2015 rated it liked it
Simple, Effective and to the Point

Most books I read over complicate this process and Chandler is a great example of not being the stereotypical author. His fun and energy come out in his book and he says what no one else is. How simple this is and a few ways to hack technology. Great leaders can speak things clearly in few words. Great leaders are great teachers too. Chandler gives you the basic footprint and motivation to take it to the next level and do what you've been dreaming of all your
Rachel Helwig
Jun 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Not a vastly impressive resource after I was forced to take a study skills class for high school, but it is a little inspiration and able to talk about multiple methods of starting to write a book, fact or fiction. The book primarily uses examples that are non-fiction, so you have to have a little imagination if you wanted to apply the same methods to fiction, and I feel that if you read a book like this, the more examples the better, after all you a reading a book to help you write a book ...more
R. Hill
Nov 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A+- Another great practical book from the author (Chandler Bolt) who believes that anyone and everyone that wants to write a book should and can write a book. Bolt leaves you with no excuses from proceeding with your dream. Myth after stupid myth are knocked down and pulverized by Bolt. Don't read this book if you are a couch potato as you will be challenged to get off your ass and get writing.
Kimi
Aug 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Wow!

I really enjoyed how the writing process was broken down. I love to read and did well with papers, but wanted to read this book for tips to simplify the process. I'm glad I read this book.
David Avoura King
Jun 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Good book for those new to writing, or who want to write but are not sure how to get started. I love writing, but thought this was worth reading anyway to get a few tips on how to write more and better.
Zamato Elite
Jan 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyable and inspiring read

I really enjoyed this book. It is written in very simple language. No BS, no fluff, just great advice. Highly recommend.
Danielle Lynn
Feb 11, 2016 rated it did not like it
Horrible

This book was glamorous lies. It makes it sound like you can write barely anything, make a fortune and live like a rock star. Avoid this!
Winter Bayne
Dec 15, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015, kindle, on-writing
Very basic. I think he has a blog...get the info there for free.
Dennis
May 10, 2016 rated it liked it
I probably won't finish my book in 30 days, however there still is some great practical advice in this book.
Brandon Nankivell
Jun 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015
It worked for me! Easy to read, has really helped me write my first book.
Justin Velthoen
Jun 12, 2015
M.A. Brotherton
Oct 02, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• You Are A Writer (So Start Acting Like One)
  • Successful Self-Publishing: How to self-publish and market your book in ebook and print
  • How Will You Measure Your Life?
  • Writing to Be Understood: What Works and Why
  • Playing with FIRE (Financial Independence Retire Early): How Far Would You Go for Financial Freedom?
  • The Simple Path to Wealth: Your road map to financial independence and a rich, free life
  • Subconscious Power: Use Your Inner Mind to Create the Life You've Always Wanted
  • The Way of the Seal Journal
  • Tumble Home: A Novella and Short Stories
  • Horoscopes for the Dead
  • Letters to a Young Poet
  • The War of Art: Break Through the Blocks & Win Your Inner Creative Battles
  • The Existentialist's Survival Guide: How to Live Authentically in an Inauthentic Age
  • Happy Money: Understand and Heal Your Relationship with Money
  • How to Talk So Kids Will Listen & Listen So Kids Will Talk
  • You Are Awesome: How to Navigate Change, Wrestle with Failure, and Live an Intentional Life
  • Stretch: Unlock the Power of Less -  and Achieve More Than You Ever Imagined
  • Write to Speak: How to go from blank page to speaking on stage
After a near miscarriage by his mom before birth and an action packed entrance into the world, Chandler grew up as a rebellious adventure seeker trapped in a small town.

Chandler was bit by the entrepreneurial bug at an early age when he saw that he could make a lot more money working for himself. While his friends were off searching for jobs, he was out starting businesses.

He began early (age
“The truth is, you'll never "find the time" to write a book. You have to make it.” 1 likes