Start by marking “Jack Wolf” as Want to Read:
Jack Wolf

Jack Wolf

Henry Dalton is sent across the country by train to the western town of Woolridge in order to investigate the werewolf problem they’re having during the monthly moon cycle. The townsfolk are not forthcoming with information, making it difficult for Henry to solve the case.

Even more distracting is Jack, a handsome older lycanthrope. Known for his rebellious youth, Jack has
Published June 1st 2015 by Dreamspinner Press (first published May 31st 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Jack Wolf, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jack Wolf

Ami
When I started, I had to take a stepback and familiarized myself with the world-built because apparently this was a steampunk (albeit very light) shifter story. It was interesting and I thought at least the romance between Henry (a government official sent to investigate a case of a werewolf killing cattles) and Jack (one of the werewolves in town who used to be one of the leaders of Pack Rebellion) was nicely paced. But I guess I was hungry for more background and I needed answers about what ha ...more
Makhda
Jack is such a gentleman. But I guess I'm not much into steampunk story.
Serena Yates
Jun 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
A world in which lycanthropes are known to exist, where they rebelled but were incorporated into society, and are now subject to restrictions for everyone’s safety. This story is set in a Steampunk version of North America, with Investigator Henry Dalton traveling out to the untamed West to support a small town in identifying who is killing cattle during the moon cycle. With a nice helping of mystery around Jack, the older lycanthrope he meets and befriends, and some wonderful scenes between two ...more
Erica
Jun 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
A steampunk-werewolf-western. You read something new every day, huh? Seems a shame to have such intriguing world-building for such a short story.
Morgan  Skye
May 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is a unique short story of an investigator who travels to find out about a situation with a local werewolf pack. It’s a combo steampunk/shifter novella set in vaguely old west times.
Henry has previously had a werewolf mate who died years ago, Jack has had two potential mates previously who have also died many years ago.

Though there are some potential hurdles in their way: the investigation, their distance and time; they realize that being given a “second” chance is not something to disregar
Joyfully Jay
Jul 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: veronica
A Joyfully Jay review.

4 stars

I really enjoyed the setting here. The western experience was well-described with fun steampunk elements, including clockwork devices, steam-powered appliances, and airships. Jack and Henry are really excellent men, both of whom feel a lot of personal loyalty. The townsfolk assume that Henry’s mission is to destroy his target, while Henry only seeks to restrain his quarry. Jack is a great mediator, and protector of his lycanthropic friend and Henry. The long timefra
Kat
Jun 04, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: shifters

Liked the story and the steampunk vibe to it, but more background information on the (view spoiler) would have been nice. The ending was a bit rushed too... but all in all an interesting short story which would make a great novel :)
Nikyta *Miss Forgetful*
Reviewed at The Blogger Girls.

Hearing there’s a werewolf problem in the West, Henry’s sent to investigate the situation. When he arrives, he meets Jack, a legendary werewolf peace leader who’s settled down since the war. As soon as they touch, Henry and Jack are aware they’re potential mates. Unfortunately, Henry’s there to do a job and he’s determined to find the rogue werewolf but his attempts to investigate are hindered by the town’s lack of cooperation. Will Henry be able to find the werewol
Love Bytes Reviews
Jun 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
3.5 Heart Review by Marieke

When Henry is sent to the Western front, he’s met at the train station by Jack Wolf, aka Jacques Leroux, a leader during the Pack Rebellion. When they first touch they both feel ‘the spark.’ The spark is felt between a lycanthrope and a potential mate. Henry has already been mated to a werewolf once, and hadn’t planned on ever feeling this again, but there’s no denying the attraction between the two.

While Henry tries to conduct his investigation about the rogue werewol
Jennifer Lavoie
Reviewed for The Novel Approach.

I’ve honestly never read a story before this with steampunk and shifters, so this was a treat. Granted, the steampunk is light, and I supposed some could argue that it’s not steampunk, but I’m going to call it that; there’s interesting, advanced inventions, steam-powered machines, and copper. So there.

In this America, shifters and humans live alongside each other relatively peacefully. That isn’t to say they haven’t had a past. There were problems with the govern
Izzy
Jun 09, 2015 rated it really liked it

3.5*

A – curl up with a hot chocolate, before bed – read.

Henry Dalton investigates problems with werewolves for a government department. He is a mild mannered polite man who has only good intentions towards the werewolf community. When he is called in to investigate a possible unregistered or rogue werewolf in the mid-west of America – he is met with distrust and suspicion. This is except for a flirty barman and Jack, who collects him from the railway station. There is a spark between them – lite
Crystal Marie
Jun 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Let me start by saying I am usually not a fan of this particular genre. The whole creating technical items before their time usually drives me out of my mind. It didn’t in this instance. I really enjoyed this story. From the spark to the secondary characters to the fact that it’s the 1800s and lycanthropes are well known. They even have sanctuaries set up for them to be at during the full moon. (nice touch)

A couple other things I enjoyed – the version Ms. Walker made out of ‘mating’, that it was
Rachel Emily
3.5 for me, but rounded up because I enjoyed the storytelling in this one. I liked the combination of steampunk with werewolves, and I thought that the two MCs had good chemistry. I just would have loved MORE story to this, I liked it!
Secretly Reading
Wonderful Western steampunk-ish shifter novella. I liked the world building so much it seems a shame not to set a series in in! The romance was nicely intense for such a short novella and the mystery just enough to spice the story. Well done!
Seeilin
Jun 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
The ending was a bit rushed but it was well written and I quite enjoyed reading it. Still, I would have loved to read more about their courtship, about mates in general.
Katy Beth Mckee
Henry is there to save solve the mystery of a rouge wolf. He's surprised by his feelings for Jack. But the stick to the job at hand until the problem is solved and than it's time to get together.
Joanne
Jun 13, 2015
Leni
Jun 27, 2015
Dreamspinner Press: Jack Wolf by Kay Walker 1 4 Jul 01, 2015 10:12PM
Kay Walker was born and raised on the Canadian Prairies. Growing up in a small, rural town, books not only helped to pass the time but also became a beloved form of entertainment. Reading opened up the world in ways Kay could only dream about. And dream she did! Kay now loves trying to create characters, plots, and entire worlds of her own in hopes to entertain others.

In addition to reading and wr