Start by marking “Most Blessed of the Patriarchs: Thomas Jefferson and the Empire of the Imagination” as Want to Read:

Thomas Jefferson is often portrayed as a hopelessly enigmatic figure—a riddle—a man so riven with contradictions that he is almost impossible to know. Lauded as the most articulate voice of American freedom and equality, even as he held people—including his own family—in bondage, Jefferson is variably described as a hypocrite, an atheist, or a simple-minded proponent of li ...more
Published April 13th 2016 by Liveright

To ask other readers questions about Most Blessed of the Patriarchs, please sign up.
Hallie Southard I'm about half way through it and must say it's a bit disjointed. It doesn't flow as well as Gordon-Reed's previous work: 'The Hemingses of Monticello…moreI'm about half way through it and must say it's a bit disjointed. It doesn't flow as well as Gordon-Reed's previous work: 'The Hemingses of Monticello', which leads me to believe they must have intertwined or overlapped their thoughts on each chapter.
I also don't like the layout of the book. It doesn't flow well.
I'll write a full review when I've completed the book.(less)

Start your review of Most Blessed of the Patriarchs: Thomas Jefferson and the Empire of the Imagination
Louise
In 1776 when Thomas Jefferson wrote “all men are created equal” he owned over 200 slaves. Later, as a widower and US Minister to France, he began his relationship with Sally Hemings, his wife’s half-sister, who was enslaved by him. With his wife he had 2 children who lived to adulthood and with Hemings he had 6 children, 4 who lived to adulthood. Members of the two families lived together at Monticello at various times over many years. How did he feel about his families and these contradictions? ...more
Brian Willis
Jul 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
Unlike most books about Jefferson, this book is not a straightforward biography of the man and the set of circumstances that led to his authorship of the Declaration of Independence and the events of his presidency, nor does it intend to indict Jefferson for his inconsistencies over slavery. In fact, Gordon-Reed, who won a Pulitzer for her definitive case uncovering the children fathered by Jefferson with Sally Hemings, and Onuf, a leading Jeffersonian scholar, have written a book that analyzes ...more
John Daly
Jan 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Book 13 of 40 for 2016

Thomas Jefferson is our Founding Father who is and will always be to history a riddle wrapped in enigma. The slave owner who proclaimed "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness."

In Most Blessed of Patriarchs Gordon-Reed and Onuf attempt to unwrap the enigma that is Thomas Jefferson. Be warned if your looking
Colleen Browne
Feb 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: history, biography
Gordon-Reed and Onuf have crafted a book on Jefferson that adds a tremendous amount to our knowledge about one of our most enigmatic Forefathers. Written from the perspective of what Jefferson's world would have looked to him, it is a fascinating book divided into chapters about the different aspects of his life. It is not a biography but certainly complements our knowledge of the subject. Very well written and valuable to anyone interested in learning more about Jefferson.
Andrew Carr
Oct 02, 2016 rated it it was ok
Let us count the ways in which thou art blessed. For Thomas Jefferson, this injunction could take all night. For the book Most Blessed of the Patriarchs: Thomas Jefferson and the Empire of the Imagination it is unfortunately a much shorter task.

Thomas Jefferson is a charming and contradictory figure. An ‘American Sphinx’ as one biographer described. I’ve probably read a half dozen books on Jefferson over the years in a bid to understand him; such that this task is ever possible. So I was excited
Argum
Feb 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
I won a copy of this from Goodreads First Reads program.

Interesting engaging read about Thomas Jefferson. I wouldn't really class this as a biography, more a personality sketch well researched. This is not chronological or comprehensive, but rather categorical portraits of Jefferson. If you are not well versed in the basics of Jefferson you will not get them here. Instead you find chapters on Jefferson away from home and Jefferson and music. You get a sense of the man using a wide array of paper
Valerie
My god was this dull! This had the potential to be a great read but the co-authors writing styles made it tedious! Instead of being direct, the authors ran in circles around each point they were trying to make. I could not get out of the introduction (and this was after the prologue!). I had some issues with Jon Meacham's patronizing writing style on his study of Thomas Jefferson but at least his book was interesting. Meacham made Thomas Jefferson interesting. The authors of this book made Jeffe ...more
Anita Lynch-Cooper
Nov 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is avery readable history, though not a strictly chonological history of his achievements. Jefferson was an enigma. He early on wrote about the evils of slavery and prayed for an orderly emancipation of the slaves . He owned slaves, including 6 half siblings of his wife Martha. He idealized home life, yet spent many years separated from his daughters while in France and later in Washington . He prided himself on his hospitality , yet had a separate building for his own use away from Montice ...more
Daniel
Apr 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: history
I’m rating the book 4 stars but rate Jefferson with 2. Must have been a common trait with the patriarchs, but WOW what an ego. It’s like he had mental problems and lived half of his life in his head... and portrayed it as reality to himself. What he Failed to do is just as lasting to our country’s posterity as what he accomplished.

Good book, but why do the authors give him the benefit of the doubt so often? Quit justifying his actions with potential intentions.

Ivor Armistead
Apr 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Actually, 4 1/2 stars. This is a must read for everyone interested in understanding the most gifted and most complex of the founding fathers. The contradictions in the life of this son of the Enlightenment have always been apparent. How can a man who believed that all are created equal and who acknowledged the inherent evil and injustice of slavery, continue to live off of the forced labor of the fellow humans (including his progeny) who he purported to "own?"

This is the conundrum that this well
Nathan
Mar 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Read a pre-release copy shared by Sara. Librarians get to go to the coolest conferences.
Janette Singleton
Jul 27, 2016 rated it liked it
An audio book, a lot of good information but seemed to be repetitious and got boring. The reader had a voice that to me made it more so.
Claire
Nov 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Very well written and insightful. I got a much clearer picture of Jefferson the man, as opposed to Jefferson the icon.
Jenny
Mar 11, 2018 rated it liked it
The book gives a good insight into Jefferson’s contradictions, especially with his views on slavery. You also get a good feeling as to how important family was to him. My complaint is that the book seemed to meander everywhere, so at times it was a bit hard to follow the point the author was making. Overall, good, but not a must read on Jefferson.
Theresa
May 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Watching the depiction of Jefferson in the play "Hamilton", and reading articles on the Jefferson-Hemings relationship since the discovery of DNA, made me want to understand the man. How does one resolve the contradiction of the champion of liberty image with the slaveholder image? This book gives the social context needed to see more clearly not only his private life and personal development, but also how his very position as a Founding Father constricted his ability to abolish slavery, which h ...more
Edward
Oct 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Jefferson was a brilliant and talented individual, one of the "founding fathers", writer of the Declaration of Independence, our third president, and deserves as much credit as anyone for the success of the fledgling American republic. You'd think by now that after millions of words have been written about him, there'd be little left to say.

But there's always more. Henry Adams famous comment explains why, "The contradictions in Jefferson's character have always rendered it a fascinating study.
Ben
Aug 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: biography
In the case of a subject like Thomas Jefferson, biographies of whom abound on any library or bookstore shelf, any new contender for space on those shelves should make a plausible case for doing something different, for increasing and improving our understanding of the man and not just pouring old wine into an new bottle (something of which Jefferson, a noted oenophile, would certainly not have approved). "Most Blessed of the Patriarchs" makes such a case by not following the life and work of Jef ...more
Andy Miller
Nov 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Annette Gordon-Reed, one of the two c0-authors, is my favorite historian. I started " Thomas Jefferson and Sally Hemings: An American Controversy" and its thesis that they had a sexual relationship with some skepticism. I had always dismissed that allegation as vicious attacks by Jefferson's political enemies. But as I read her careful scholarship that correlated the birth of all her children to Jefferson's presence at Monticello nine months earlier during times when Jefferson was usually in Ne ...more
Susanj
Feb 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What I just emailed to Annette Gordon-Reed, referencing this podcast interview:

-----

Hello Professor Gordon-Reed -

I'm a member of a book discussion group that will be discussing "Most Blessed of the Patriarchs" this Friday evening. We only meet in alternate months, so I've been obsessing about the book and Jefferson for weeks now, including listening to every podcast interview I could find, of yourself and Professor Onuf.

I just now heard your "Ben Frankli
Nick Smith
Sep 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
I loved this book because it enabled me to see the way Jefferson wanted himself to be portrayed. It also allowed me to see how he viewed himself. One of the things about bringing his name up in conversation, is that people will very quickly mention that he was a slaveholder. In this book, as in others of hers, Annette Gordon-Reed, an African-American law professor and Jefferson scholar, lets us into the world of home at Monticello. We see the liaison between Jefferson himself and Sally Hemings, ...more
Lynn Pribus
Aug 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
I confess I didn't read every word in this book which I dutifully checked out of the librrary. (Not only do I live about 2 miles from Monticello, the book was co-authored by a woman who won the Pulitzer Prize for writing about the Hemings family and the husband of woman I played racquetball with before she and her NPR "Back Story" husband moved to Maine. )

Very highly detailed with new information for me, but, as I said HIGHLY detailed. It reveals how conflicted TJ was about slavery in Virginia,
Sally
Feb 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I discovered this book long after my own, MONTICELLO: A DAUGHTER AND HER FATHER, went off to the publisher and only just got around to reading it. We come from the same place and go to the same place -- no devils or angels here.
Rosemary Clark
Oct 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Biographies of this caliber are essential to the study of American philosophers and statesmen.
Biographies of America’s founders are abundant, most emphasize a theme of contemporary interest in the social or political spheres and fail to realistically portray the sentiments of times and places past. Here, the authors elucidate on what has been too often ignored but was undoubtedly the center and true passion of Thomas Jefferson’s life: his forebears, family, and his land.
Thankfully, this book is a departure from the usual psychoanalytic scrutiny of our first American philosopher. Gordon-R
Karen
Jun 26, 2016 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: history buffs
Most Blessed of the Patriarchs judges Thomas Jefferson through a twenty-first century lens.

Did Gordon-Reed expect Jefferson to become an abolitionist? to make Sally Hemings his wife? to begin a campaign for the equal rights of women, who at that time were not allowed to own property? This would have brought about the destruction of the democracy Jefferson had helped to create. His fear of a civil war over slavery was addressed after all.

The subtitle of this book remains an enigma to me, but Jef
Priya
May 07, 2016 rated it liked it
Two historians I respect wrote a book about Thomas Jefferson. In some ways it didn't tread particularly new ground but did attempt to reveal a Jefferson from his own words and actions that is complicated and in some ways undefinable. They are attempting to transcend the modern labeling of a founding father from the 18th century and tease apart why Jefferson didn't act in ways we would have wanted him to.

The book doesn't excuse his actions as a slave holder but acknowledges his inconsistencies w
John
Apr 06, 2016 rated it liked it
I did not get a lot out of this book. A previous reviewer mentioned that if one did not know much about Jefferson, they probably still wouldn't after reading it. I think I am one of those people. Particularly towards the end I flipped over a number of pages just because it seemed as if there was a lot of repetition going on. I give it 3 stars just because I'm sure a good bit of effort went into writing it.
Rodr
Dec 19, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: lame
I started reading this, but the narrative push was too much. Its obvious the "historians" are more interested in painting a racial picture than telling something accurate. There's many of historical documents that were overlooked I feel to paint a specific picture.

Suffice to say, I didn't finish this bc its garbage.
Bill Tress
May 06, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: biography
This was an entertaining book, yet, in some respects, a little over analytical. The authors make Jefferson out to be extraordinarily complex individual, yet, I did not see the complexity. Certainly, the books title is true, Jefferson received many blessings.
The first blessing was his birth into a family of means who provided the early nurturing and subsequent inheritance that maintained his lifestyle. Jefferson was blessed with an exceptionally good mind and even in his youth, the emotional mat
Bryan Seaford
Feb 16, 2017 rated it did not like it
The research required to produce this book is evident. Gordon-Reed and Onuf bring together multiple sources to produce a detailed view of Thomas Jefferson. I expected to come away with a greater understanding of Jefferson, the world in which he lived, his great strengths and his terminal weaknesses.

Unfortunately, what I experienced was a long, repetitive book with looping discourse and laced throughout with the authors' projections on Jefferson's character through a lens of modern social discour
Nicholas Vela
Apr 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Most Blessed of the Patriarchs" was an interesting read into Jefferson. From the author who brought us "The Hemingses of Monticello", I was immediately interested in reading this book for my seminar on Early American History.

The book is split into three parts, "Patriarch", "Traveller", and "Enthusiast", each giving us an insight into Jefferson's differing philosophies, and how they clashed. Considering that History more or less gives us one or two views through which to see a person's character
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The War Before the War: Fugitive Slaves and the Struggle for America's Soul from the Revolution to the Civil War
  • The Constitution of the United States of America
  • Friends Divided: John Adams and Thomas Jefferson
  • The Girl Who Came Home
  • The Secrets She Carried
  • The Yellow House
  • Courage to Be You: Inspiring Lessons from an Unexpected Journey
  • The Anarchy: The East India Company, Corporate Violence, and the Pillage of an Empire
  • Never Caught: The Washingtons' Relentless Pursuit of Their Runaway Slave, Ona Judge
  • The Road of Lost Innocence: The True Story of a Cambodian Heroine
  • Over Here: The First World War and American Society
  • In the Hurricane's Eye: The Genius of George Washington and the Victory at Yorktown
  • The Passing of Armies: An Account of the Final Campaign of the Army of the Potomac
  • Working: Researching, Interviewing, Writing
  • Savage Appetites: Four True Stories of Women, Crime, and Obsession
  • Bringing Down the Colonel: A Sex Scandal of the Gilded Age, and the "Powerless" Woman Who Took on Washington
  • The Queen's Fortune: A Novel of Desiree, Napoleon, and the Dynasty That Outlasted the Empire
  • Lakota America: A New History of Indigenous Power
Annette Gordon-Reed is a professor of law at New York Law School and a professor of history at Rutgers University. She is the author of Thomas Jefferson and Sally Hemings: An American Controversy. She lives in New York City."

News & Interviews

Summer reading season is in full swing, which means many of the year's biggest and best releases are coming out of the gates. And although your Ju...