Start by marking “A Hold on Me” as Want to Read:
A Hold on Me

A Hold on Me

(The Dark Heart #1)

3.82  ·  Rating details ·  168 Ratings  ·  85 Reviews
She never wanted to return.
He wants nothing more than for her to leave.
But the fire between them is as strong as the past that haunts them.

Annie Freemont grew up on the road, immersed in the romance of rare things, cultivating an eye for artifacts and a spirit for bargaining. It's a freewheeling life she loves and plans to continue--until her dad is diagnosed with dementia
Published February 23rd 2016 by Kensington

To ask other readers questions about A Hold on Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Hold on Me

Emerge by Tobie EastonFacsimile by Vicki L. WeavilScardust by Suzanne van RooyenThere Once Were Stars by Melanie McFarlaneForget Tomorrow by Pintip Dunn
#WO2016 Books
58 books — 70 voters
Undo Me by M.  RobinsonEl Diablo by M.  RobinsonOpposition by Jennifer L. ArmentroutSpin by C.D. ReissUnbeloved by Madeline Sheehan
Coming Soon
570 books — 742 voters

More lists with this book...

Kate's Corner
Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there wondering, fearing,
Doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before;
But the silence was unbroken, and the darkness gave no token. -Edgar Allen Poe-

I don't want to give too much away. But this is a book with a strong plot but there are so many spooky things happening. Shadows, a spooky mansion, secrets and lies everywhere.

I loved the main characters of the book, Annie is strong, loyal and very curious, some might say too curio
Roxanne
Feb 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thank you to Netgalley for a copy of this arc in exchange for a fair review!

I don't even know where to start with this! I don't know what I expected, some romance with some thrills, but this was so much more! I liked the cover and I read the synopsis and thought okay this will give me a bit of love and all the darkness I just have to have! I didn't expect a few things, and I am still deciding if it would spoiler to review some of that!

Annie (Stephanie) is a buyer of antiques and artifacts, and
Samantha
Feb 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 superbly supernatural stars. I had no idea the book was going to go the way it did and that was such a refreshing surprise. I mean, never in a million years did I think Chase was going to be what he was and so forth! This was definitely more paranormal, supernatural young adult rather than romantic fiction but I still found I rather enjoyed it. I was thoroughly engrossed in the book and read it in one sweep.

Annie was so interesting. She wasn't weak at all. I found her loyalty to her father ad
Pintip Dunn
Dec 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is a fantastic book. I was drawn into the story immediately by the loving -- and complicated -- relationship that the heroine has with her father. And then, the story got decidedly creepy (in the best possible way) with lots of strange and unexplained events. Pat Esden is extremely skilled at creating a tense atmosphere and spooky setting. I was hooked -- and by the time the big reveal came about what is actually going on, I was glued to the pages until the finish! I'd recommend this book t ...more
Rachel Marks
Jul 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky enough to get a sneak peek at this very creepy and mysterious NA debut, and I'm so glad I did! It's a unique paranormal twist on the gothic novel, complete with old family secrets, bloody dilemmas, steamy guy with hidden truths, all set in an vast manner built along the foggy shores of Maine. For anyone in love with Daphne du Maurier. Or if you're just tired of the same old paranormal fodder out there, this one is a nice and refreshing read.
Carlene Inspired
I received an ARC in exchange for review through Xpresso Book Tours.
See more about this book and other reviews on my blog, Carlene Inspired. Giveaway going on right now!

Annie is taking her father back to his home where his sister and father await to help care for him. After years of being on their own, traveling the world and picking out artifacts, coming back to a family she knows her father hates will be hard. When the shadows on the walls point out a more sinister past, Annie begins to invest
Melanie McFarlane
Aug 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I just adored this book. It was written wonderfully and had all the elements I love (slight romance that doesn't over shadow the mystery, oh, and did I mention dark shadows....very creepy). The characters were developed very well, and I especially loved Annie's spark. But what really drew me in was the mystery...what secrets are her family holding, what mysteries were intermingled with the artifacts hidden around the mansion, and why was Chase involved?

The opening scene had my instant attention
Beth Cato
Nov 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015, romance, paranormal
This book, to be released in January from Kensington, is classified as a New Adult paranormal romance; to be even more specific, this is a gothic novel in modern form. Annie Freemont is a bold heroine with an eye on college and life-long experience in antiquities and art appraisals. As her father slowly succumbs to dementia, she is forced to move with him to her estranged paternal family. Their estate is gothic in all its glory: a palatial home centuries old, built on salt mines along the isolat ...more
Jaye
Jul 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is such an atmospheric book! Set in a grand old family mansion on the coast of Maine, Moonhill is as much of a character as the Freemont family. Anie Freemont and her father, have recently returned to the family home after years of antique picking on the road. Anie believes her father is succumbing to early onset dementia, yet she resents the help of her aunt and grandfather who she's only just met. But things are not as they seem at Moonhill, and the groundskeeper and security guard, Chase ...more
Diana Sousa
Nov 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
“A Hold On Me” took a hold of my heart from the beginning. The setting is so interesting and intriguing, a great mixture between gothic and paranormal. This was always present on the tone of the book, the way the author describes the characters’ surroundings, the details that add to the mystery. I love how the author mixed mythology (no spoilers!) with a dark setting of her own, which becomes very unique, especially when describing the mansion where most of the action occurs.

The characters’ voic
J.
Jan 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
First of all, I loved the atmosphere of the novel, which managed to keep me on edge throughout. It was creepy and misty and foggy, and made the interaction between the characters that much more intense.

The story follows Annie Freemont as she takes her father to their ancestral home in Maine--Moonhill. It's there that things begin to spin out of her control. Her father's taken away from her and she's left to fend for herself (mostly) in a creepy side wing of the family mansion.

Over the course o
Amber [thespacejamber]
Every family has their skeletons lurking in their respective closets and hoping they never are released. However, what some people are hiding might be far more sinister than others. When it comes to the Freemont family in Pat Esden’s A Hold on Me, it’s this devotion to keeping the family secrets under lock and key that might be the ultimate downfall for them all. Found within the pages of a rollercoaster of a paranormal romance, Esden tells a tale that should leave readers wanting to know exactl ...more
Jen McConnel
Oct 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
I devoured the ARC of this dark paranormal NA. There are twists and turns, a hot guy, and a family with too many secrets to count: perfect read for a dark and stormy night! I'm looking forward to the rest of Esden's series.
Terri
Jan 17, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
** I received an advanced copy of this book from the publisher Kensington via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. The expected publication date is February 23rd 2016**

This story was not what I expected at all. The synopsis is a little vague. If you are not a fan of paranormal, this will not be the choice for you. If you are, then this may be of interest. Luckily I don't mind the genre however I was just a little surprised to find out what was in store for me. While it did no impact the
Debbie Causevic
Nov 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I was excited to receive an ARC of A Hold on Me. I’ve been lucky enough to read Esden’s work before and expected to be drawn in by vivid writing. Pleasantly I was, and in the very first scene—I was pulled in right away by the incident in the church. Esden’s writing was tight and suspenseful throughout, as well as her scene building. By the end of the first chapter, I expected a journey that would be suspenseful and keep me guessing. And I was right.

I loved the gothic feel of the book and the ins
Teresa
Jan 16, 2016 added it
I don't want to give away any of this book so will be very vague on the description. I will tell you though I loved this book. It is a very mysterious book that kept me guessing and wondering through out. The book has pretty much everything I love in a book. Mystery, Romance, a great plot, and a very engaging story.
This is my first book by Pat Esden but I will be on the look out for more books. I love the writing style. She gives you just enough description of places, people and things for you
Leandra
Jul 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
A Hold on Me had my attention immediately as the main character, Annie, and her father are exploring an old church for antiques. Then there was a creepy man-shaped shadow on the wall...and things went downhill real quick for Annie!

Her ancestral home, Moonhill, was a delight to discover along with her. Think super huge, packed with secrets and treasures from around the world. Plus, it's by the sea!

The paranormal antagonists in this series are also refreshingly new, and not ones you run across a
Laura  Redmon
Feb 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I knew this story was going to be good, but not to this caliber. This book blew my mind with its dark and thrilling roller-coaster ride of pure excitement,.

There was this feeling of something paranormal going on behind the scenes and that's what excited me the most. I'm so glad to know this book is going to be a series!

There is a little bit of romance, with Annie and Chase. I wish there were more, since they can blow the pages up with their chemistry alone. It didn't detract from the story thou
Katherine
Dec 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: new-adult
Annie Fremont--a good daughter who's learning the antique trade from her father--moves from her home in Vermont to her family's ancestral home in Maine after her dad is diagnosed with dementia. Moonhill is everything a gothic house should be--huge, historic, haunted. Also inhabited by a family that makes dysfunctional look tame, and they're the most normal beings there--aside from the delectable Chase.

Watching Annie figure out what's going on with her father, with the family and their home and w
Elm Christensen
Jan 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I was a lucky girl who got a copy of this ARC, and it pulled me into an honest, lip-biting, and intense adventure, just like a great paranormal mystery should. I loved the shadows and loved the twists, but I especially loved the strong-minded, thoughtful and intelligent heroine who just wants her dad to be normal again. Though who can be normal after secrets like these unfold…. Enjoy every morsel of this book!
Liz Gavin
Feb 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: blog-tous
I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review

I recommend this book for fans of dark stories, gothic novels, and paranormal tales. I am a fan and wasn’t disappointed. It’s the first installment in a new series that has potential to go places. The author did a very good job with characters, plot, and pace. You can’t ask for more in a mystery book. KUDOS! I’ll be reading more books by Pat Esden in the future!
Jessica
Jul 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
*I received an ARC in exchange for an honest review.*

Things I love: Maine, mysteries, shady hot guys with secrets, family drama (fiction only of course), and anything with a good paranormal/fantasy twist.

A Hold On Me had all of these and more! This book blew me away, from the amazing, beautiful writing, to a MC I could easily identify with, to twists didnt see coming-- this is one 2016 release you so do NOT want to miss!
Sharon
Jan 03, 2016 rated it liked it
Whoo hoo this is a fun one! Expected paranormal romance from the cover look and title (not at all my kind of thing) and instead found myself swept away in a sort of Harry Potter-meets-Amelia Peabody with just a small touch of a love story. Well-paced and coaxed me into buying into the genii-wars element before before I realized what was happening. Looking forward to the sequel!
Incorrigible_bibliophile
A Hold on Me features Annie, an antique dealer apprentice to her beloved father. Things begin to go awry when her father gets dementia that is suspicious in nature and they're forced to move back to Moonhill, the family estate to join a family that Annie's never met.

Supernatural mischief abounds. Picture Buffy minus the vampires crossed with Crimson Peak. It was a fun macabre read.
Rebecca
Jan 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved the gothic atmosphere of the novel, the twists and turns of the plot, and the romance between Annie and Chase.
Kelly Chandler (Krebill)
Jan 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
I was given an ARC for an honest review through NetGalley

Stephanie is a college aged girl who has a close relationship with her father. Both of them enjoy antiquing and searching for “treasures” that they can sell. Annie’s world starts to fall apart when her father begins to show signs of dementia. Looking to help her father, they travel to her father’s family mansion to be with his family, whom they were never close with. There they learn some dark, paranormal secrets that make Stephanie realiz
Amber (The Book Bratz)
Jan 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
The full review + more can be found at The Book Bratz

I don't think I realized what I was getting myself into when I requested this book. Not that it was bad, it was the opposite of bad. But it is complicated. The good kind, but also the kind that is very difficult to explain. Just keep in mind when you read this book that: IT ALL MAKES SENSE IN TIME.

In the first few pages of this book I was reminded of the show, American Pickers. Annie and her father travel around buying artifacts and then rese
Aimie
Jan 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A Hold On Me is the first book in the Dark Heart Series.

A Hold On Me is about 20 year old Stephanie, also known as Annie, Freemont. Annie, having an immense love of rare things, enjoys buying and selling antiques until one day her father is diagnosed with dementia. His illness ultimately forces Annie and her father to return to Moonhill and to the family they left behind fifteen years before after the death of Annie's mother, who died rather suspiciously. Once at Moonhill, Annie is shocked when
K.L. Hallam
Jul 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
A HOLD ON ME by Pat Esden
Giveaway on my blog Monday Nov. 2. watch for it.

Annie Freemont and her father, spend their lives on the road scouring for antiques, and encountering mysteries, and make quite the bargaining pair. Until his illness sends them back to a past, his past, the place her mother died: The family home of Moonhill. The last place her father wants to go.

Annie wants nothing more than to leave Moonhill, after meeting the strange sorts: her aunt, grandfather, and the cousins, espec
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • A Healing Spirit (Riverview Series #2)
  • Lake Effect
  • Beat Slay Love
  • Summoner Rising (Laws of Summoning, #1)
  • Reason to Wed (Distinguished Rogues, #7)
  • A Knight to Remember (Merriweather Sisters Time Travel #1)
  • Next Door to a Star
  • Playing by the Rules (Secrets and Lies, #1)
  • A Soldier's Vow
  • The Exchange (Beautiful Monster #1)
  • The Diamond Looking Glass (Cleopatra's Legacy, #3)
  • Stunner (A Ronnie Lake Mystery, #1)
  • Fjord Blue
  • An Informal Arrangement (Informal Romance, #2)
  • Life In The No Dating Zone (The Zone #1)
  • Painting Rain (Books of Dalthia #4)
  • Beyond the Ever Reach (Mortality, #1)
  • Molly's Misadventures
Pat Esden would love to say she spent her childhood in intellectual pursuits. The truth is she was fonder of exploring abandoned houses and old cemeteries. When not out on her own adventures, she can be found in her northern Vermont home writing stories about brave, smart women and the men who capture their hearts.

She is the author of the contemporary paranormal Dark Heart series from Kensington

The Dark Heart (3 books)
  • Beyond Your Touch (The Dark Heart, #2)
  • Reach for You (The Dark Heart #3)

Romance Deals

• Party Girl
    $4.49 $1.99
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Paris (International Guy #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Shame on Him (Fool Me Once, #3)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Out of Breath (Breathing, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Off Base (Out of Uniform, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Barely Breathing (Breathing, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Reason to Breathe (Breathing, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Second Chance Summer (Cedar Ridge, #1)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Married By Morning (The Hathaways, #4)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Playing It Safe
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Beneath Copper Falls (Rock Harbor #6)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Tight
    $4.99 $2.49
  • A Year of Weddings: Twelve Love Stories (A Year of Weddings Novella)
    $12.99 $3.99
  • The Curse Keepers (The Curse Keepers #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Feral Sins (The Phoenix Pack, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • How to Tame a Beast in Seven Days (The Embraced #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Shame on You (Fool Me Once, #1)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Shame on Me (Fool Me Once, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • The Curse Breakers (The Curse Keepers #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dirty Exes (Liars, Inc., #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Shadow's Edge (Night Prowler, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • First Drop of Crimson (Night Huntress World, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Taste of Magic (Magic, # 1)
  • Where the Road Takes Me
    $3.99 $1.99
  • New York (International Guy #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Sin With Me (Bad Habit, #3)
  • The Memory of You
    $8.99 $1.99
  • One Foot in the Grave (Night Huntress, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wicked Cravings (The Phoenix Pack, #2)
  • Good Guys Love Dogs
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Camino Beach
  • Shadow Woman
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Embrace the Night (Vampire Romance #1)
  • The Shell Seekers
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Wicked White (Wicked White Series Book 1)
  • All the Little Lights
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Carnal Secrets (The Phoenix Pack, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Scream For Me: A Novel of the Night Hunter (For Me, #3)
  • When Life Happened
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Cheater (Curious Liaisons, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Cheater's Regret (Curious Liaisons, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Hunting Grounds (Hidden Sins, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Consequence of Revenge (Consequence, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Consequence of Seduction (Consequence #3)
  • The Story of Us
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Consequence of Loving Colton (Consequence, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • No More Masquerade (Secrets of Stone Series Book 2)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Dunaway's Crossing
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Twisted Truths (Blood Brothers, #3)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Curse Defiers (The Curse Keepers, #3)
  • The Roommate 'dis'Agreement