Start by marking “In Search of Lost Time: Swann's Way: A Graphic Novel” as Want to Read:
In Search of Lost Time: Swann's Way: A Graphic Novel

In Search of Lost Time: Swann's Way: A Graphic Novel

(Remembrance of Things Past Graphic Novel Adaptation #1 & 4-6)

Whether you are looking to brush up or sample for the first time, this graphic adaptation of In Search of Lost Time is the perfect introduction to Proust's masterpiece.

"Proust was the greatest novelist of the twentieth century, just as Tolstoy was in the nineteenth," wrote Graham Greene. "For those who began to write at the end of the twenties or the beginning of the thirt
Published July 13th 2015 by Liveright (first published October 16th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about In Search of Lost Time, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In Search of Lost Time

Paul Bryant
Feb 19, 2016 marked it as to-read-novels
this is the absolute only way I am ever going to read Proust
Petra
Jan 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderful, relaxing, entertaining and dreamy story.
The graphics are amazing. They are detailed, wonderfully coloured, bring to them the feeling and intention of Proust's words. The graphics of the longer descriptive sections of Swann's Way are remarkably done and take you through what would have read as long passages and showing the detail and beauty of what Proust was describing.
Throughout, Proust's words are quoted verbatim with Stephanie Heuet's words between them Her words are in
Brierly
Imagine an entire orchestra reduced to a single piano. That is the best way to explain a graphic adaptation of Swann's Way. I am in my final week of my English M.A. and thought "what a great time to tackle Proust!" If anything, reading this version convinced me that À la recherche du temps perdu is well worth my time.

There is a special place in my heart for graphic adaptations of classic literature. What a way to open up a previously inaccessible masterpiece.
LillyBooks
Aug 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Many years ago I read Proust, the whole thing, as some sort of self-challenge. I remember that while reading it there were sentences, lengthy yes, but that were so beautiful and so profound I sighed longingly after them. However, here's the thing about Proust: I have no idea what it was about. It's all very vague and fractured, like a half-remembered dream. And this is not time talking; I felt that way right after reading it. There's madeleine cakes and neighbors and some Jewish elements and two ...more
Tom LA
Dec 09, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Did Not Finish. The art in general is beautiful, landscapes and architecture and objects. However, as odd as it sounds, I couldn't even read the panels because of the horrible way in which the characters are drawn, especially their faces and expressions. I’m serious, any 3 year old could probably do a better job than that. What happened? Is it a particular “style”? Who came up with that brilliant idea? I’m so puzzled.

Also, far too much text for a graphic novel, splattered on the page in a heavy
Nitya
Clean, yet simultaneously rich illustrations, done in the ligne claire style, pioneered by Hergé. What I've been told is a fairly faithful and just rendition of the original.

All the insight and ruminations that make Proust Proust.

Almost makes me believe I might not need to read the original.
Elaine
So there's at least 3 different aspects of this work that can be reviewed.

1) Proust's original story, which I haven't read. I was hoping for this to be a way of kind of easing into it... Instead, between this and a conversation with a well-read coworker, I think I'll mentally remove it from the "someday, maybe, in my lifetime" list. Boring, mostly; confusing, sometimes. Lots of rambling. Very wordy.

2) The translation, which I guess is good enough? But I'm not familiar with other translations or
Julius
Oct 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
A graphic novel of Swann's Way. Hmm, that could easily go badly...but it doesn't. It is a real delight, in fact, and a nice adjunct to Proust's novel. So many of the things Proust writes about paint word-pictures of things: villages, gardens, architecture, artwork, clothes, flowers; having carefully observed illustrations of those things adds a new dimension of understanding and appreciation to the novel. It allowed me to experience Swann's Way afresh, luxuriating in the scenic and cultural deta ...more
Michael
111016: i do not know if this rating is right- of course i love the writing, the extracts, the dialog- but this is all proust. i read him many years ago, probably 16 years (some 'book of the millennium' list). all seven volumes in translation. i read them in order, so this volume 1: swann's way, is buried under everything else read since, proust, bergson, lit crit. reading this the story became much more concise, ironies clear, rendering characters exact, but somehow too simple in parallels betw ...more
CarolineFromConcord
Mar 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Thank you, thank you, Stéphane Heuet (and translator Arthur Goldhammer), for adapting critical sections of Marcel Proust's "In Search of Lost Time" in such a way that I can penetrate his genius! Believe me, I tried before. And I've been a little ashamed that I couldn't get into Proust. With the graphic-novel version's pictures (sometimes comical, sometimes beautiful) and many famous passages, I feel like I have finally got some exposure to the great man. I loved the incisive satire of self-impor ...more
Heather
I remember analyzing one sentence Proust wrote in a college undergraduate creative writing class. That sentence turned me off from attempting to read Proust; however, my mind changed when I saw this graphic novel version. It was definitely easy to understand and follow. It was also very different from what I expected. I find it hard to rate since I cannot compare it to the original and also the story itself is a little too random for my taste. I am happy that I read it and thought the illustrati ...more
Merry
Jun 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
I was reminded of how I gave up the struggle to read the entire series in English, let alone French, after studying it in college in French. But I think he takes barely conscious thoughts as they drift by, notices them, and then is able to express them. He is acquainted with the contents of his mind as well as any mindfulness meditator. Wonderful illustrations.
StrictlySequential
--My rating of the ADAPTATION will be DRASTICALLY different from my opinion of the work that has been adapted because I hated reading this tripe- appreciating one's writing stylistically does not overcome my disgust of the subject matter and personality of the writer. I'd prefer to delete this prim and preposterous ponce from MY memories!--

Adaptation= ****
Adapted= **- the second star is ONLY for certain great characters within.

WHAT A MILK-SOP*!

The way he talks constantly about the agony of any l
Romany
Dec 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Compared to the non-illustrated text, I found the narrator, Swann, Odette and Gilbert MORE horrible and annoying. I had more sympathy for them all when reading the extended and often beautiful prose. But this was absolutely brilliant to read because it’s a reminder of the way in which the book is structured (which does get lost in the detail of the full text). I found the art of the interior scenes a bit ordinary in comparison to the gorgeous landscapes. Beautiful version of the classic.
Evelyn
Jan 15, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story didn't hold my attention at times but the art is beautiful.
Vanessa
Feb 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The only way I can read Proust.
Kitty
Jul 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
A good overview for people who, like me, are both intimidated and intrigued by Proust's masterwork. Beautiful art.
Robert
Dec 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Can't wait to read the next volume! Throughout Swann's Way, I kept thinking "I wonder where this is even going?" Now I want to read the original (or at least an english translation) to see if there's a similar feeling. A great picture of early 1900s upper crust Paris.
J
Aug 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
I remember reading one of the early volumes of this years and years ago and finding it beautiful but incomplete. The finished full adaptation is marvelous with intricate art, historical detail, and a fine paring down of the story.
Abby
Sep 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
An admirably executed challenge. Having read Swann's Way twice now, I'm not sure that it's the best choice for a graphic novel, but Stéphane Heuet does the best possible job with the material at hand.
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Feb 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: france, classics-club
Read the subtitle before you start telling me what an amazing reader I am. Full disclosure here: It's a graphic novel of Proust's mega-tome. I must say that it fully satisfied my desire to read Proust. I got the tone of it, the way Proust zooms into one moment so that you experience it in all its real-life complexity. Graphic novels, I admit, aren't my favorite genre; too often, I find the text reads banally when combined with cartoonish pictures. That did not happen here, perhaps because the te ...more
Chris Rutledge
Aug 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is an amazing adaptation, in graphic novel form, of Swann's Way, the first volume of In Search of Lost Time.

From the first: “Longtemps, je me suis couché de bonne heure” (For a long time, I went to bed early) to the closing " the memory of a certain image is but regret for a certain moment; and houses, roads, avenues are as fleeting, alas, as the years,” this edition captures the spirit of the masterpiece.

This is wonderful both for those who have read the novel several times (as I have -
Steven Peck
Jan 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
How delightful to return to Combray and again awake in the morning disoriented and confused while the world is constructed again from our memory--and from Stephane Heuet's gorgeous illustrations. He captures the spirit of the books so well, and the details chosen for each frame are perfect. I hope he does the entire series. This graphic novel covers Swann's Way almost perfectly. I can't think of a thing I would change. Well reading and owning.
James
Aug 16, 2015 rated it liked it
It's not a masterpiece as a graphic novel, but I assume nobody expected it to be. For fans of "The Novel," or for someone looking for an accessible introduction to Proust, this is certainly worth looking at. The art is pretty and the attempts at transposing the amazing interiority of Proust's trademark style into a graphic medium are, if not always fully successful, always interesting.
Rachel
Feb 06, 2016 rated it liked it
I went back and forth between thinking the condensing of Proust was ok and thinking it was missing too much. Part of the problem I think was having just read the Lydia Davis translation, so all I could think while reading the graphic novels was how I remembered everything and how it was done in the novel. I think it did help clarify some things I had missed.
Ed
Apr 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
A marvelously draw graphic novel first of the Proust's master work, a good introduction, not perfect in its translation but the graphics make up for this
Chuck
Jul 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
Really fine work. I imagine that a seasoned Proustian would esteem it as highly as I do (novice that I am).
Phrodrick
Jun 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Bottom Line:
Not the same as reading the original, but the art work alone makes this a valuable addition to your library. I have a much better Idea of what I am missing by not reading the full text. This is recommended as better than a Readers Digest but not a full on replacement.

Many years ago, and only because it was required reading I attempted the first volume of Marcel Proust’ In Search of Lost Time/ Swan’s Way. The experience taught me that I was not up to every author I attempted. I was hu
toxygen
Jul 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
This graphic novel is simply stunning.

It is not a classic comic book that you might expect. The difference is that the graphic novel tries to mirror what's written in the original novel as compared to just displaying interesting plot that you might expect in comic books like Logicomix or Irmina. The graphics in this book display thought train of the character, his dreams, almost as a poetic movie would have done.

The first ~35 pages were difficult to get through. Nothing interesting really happ
John
Jan 31, 2019 rated it liked it
2.5 Stars. It's a nice primer for people unwilling to delve into the series. However, it's not pefect--the translation (from French, then to comics) is a bit wonky at times. And I find the art wildly uneven--I can almost see the fatigue Stephane Heaut has with this adaptaion. It's sadly a lot of narration and talking heads, which I never consider good form for the graphic novel medium. It's almost "too cartoony" for the subject matter, although a more painterly/watercolor approach would take far ...more
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Graphic Canon of Children's Literature: The World's Great Kids' Lit as Comics and Visuals (The Graphic Canon)
  • Berlin
  • Panter
  • Come Again
  • Capote in Kansas
  • Rasputin, Vol. 1
  • 1001 Comics You Must Read Before You Die: The Ultimate Guide to Comic Books, Graphic Novels, and Manga
  • Tiger vs. Nightmare
  • Concretopia: A Journey Around the Rebuilding of Postwar Britain
  • 750 Years in Paris
  • The Secret of the Stone Frog
  • Weapons of Mass Diplomacy
  • Black Jack, Vol. 2
Stéphane Heuet is a French comic artist who is five volumes into his comic adaptation of In Search of Lost Time. He lives in Paris.

Remembrance of Things Past Graphic Novel Adaptation (6 books)
  • Combray (Remembrance of Things Past, #1)
  • À l'ombre des jeunes filles en fleurs, Volume 1 (À la recherche du temps perdu, #2)
  • À l'ombre des jeunes filles en fleurs, Volume 2 (À la recherche du temps perdu, #3)
  • Swann in Love, Volume 1 (Remembrance of Things Past, #4)
  • Swann in Love, Volume 2 (Remembrance of Things Past, #5)
  • Nom de pays : Le nom (À la recherche du temps perdu, #6)
“C’est l’instant où le malade qui a été obligé de partir en voyage et a dû coucher dans un hôtel inconnu, réveillé par une crise, se réjouit en apercevant sous la porte une raie de jour. Quel bonheur ! c’est déjà le matin ! Dans un moment les domestiques seront levés, il pourra sonner, on viendra lui porter secours. L’espérance d’être soulagé lui donne du courage pour souffrir. Justement il a cru entendre des pas ; les pas se rapprochent, puis s’éloignent. Et la raie de jour qui était sous sa porte a disparu. C’est minuit ; on vient d’éteindre le gaz ; le dernier domestique est parti et il faudra rester toute la nuit à souffrir sans remède.” 0 likes