Start by marking “Strange Matters: Collected Tales of Fantasy, Myth and Magic” as Want to Read:
Strange Matters: Collected Tales of Fantasy, Myth and Magic

Strange Matters: Collected Tales of Fantasy, Myth and Magic

Strange Matters is a collection of tales of fantasy, myth and magic.

Some are funny, some are dark, some are both. Some are set in our world, with the skin peeled back to reveal the magical mechanisms beneath. Some are set in fantasy worlds, where instead it’s the reflections of reality which are hidden.

All contain matters best described as ‘strange’, because to me, stran
Published May 23rd 2015 by Bret Allen

To ask other readers questions about Strange Matters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Strange Matters

Bex
Jun 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is a fantastic collection of short stories and poetry, a must read for fantasy fans. There is a really interesting mix of themes, from cats in the Egyptian afterlife to a gang of hyenas in London! All very well written, with a unique new take on different myths and magic.
Thoroughly enjoyed this collection, couldn't put it down!
Nabila Fairuz
Feb 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
It was refreshing to read Strange Matters. I always liked fantasy, and to mix the normal and the regular with irregular activities and ideas was a great idea. I would absolutely recommend this book to anyone looking to read something different.
K.J. Simmill
Dec 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Strange Matters by Bret Allen is a really fantastic and imaginative collection of short stories, each one different to the next.
There were so many brilliant tales that just choosing one to be my favourite was difficult, but when push comes to shove, I would choose 'The Firebird.' I thought, like his other stories, it was masterfully crafted, engrossing, and a real page turner.
Being short stories there is little I can say about the contents without spoiling not only the story, but the atmosphere
Andrea Lamoureux
Nov 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
I found this collection of short stories enjoyable and well done. Each story was unique in its own way and I found that most even had small lessons in them. For example, in The Firebird we learn through the main character that something are more important in life than others and we should appreciate the things we do have because if we lose them we will surely miss them.

My favourite story out of all of them would have to be Arcturus. In short, I believe it to be about a man who learns he is so mu
Bret Allen
May 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Juliana Garcia
Theresa Derwin
Apr 29, 2017
Book.lover
Jun 08, 2016
What is there to say? I'm Bret Allen and I'm a writer!

I have a blog site and studied Journalism. I prefer to write with humour, or at least a wry eye, when writing articles.

In fiction, my favourite genres are fantasy, scifi and supernatural. There's something fascinating about the comparisons drawn between real life and the fantastic; in a contrary fashion, they can be more profound than those dra