Start by marking “The Love Hexagon” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
The Love Hexagon

William Sutcliffe

The Love Hexagon

Meet Lisa, Guy, Keri, Graham, Helen, and Josh. With a tangle of secret lusts hovering amongst them, it only takes one betrayal to trigger a sudden collapse of social and sexual decorum. As these young Londoners fall in and out of bed with one another in a series of sexual adventures, misadventures, accidents, triumphs, and failures, casual indiscretions begin to have ...more
Published (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The Love Hexagon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Love Hexagon

Start your review of The Love Hexagon
Libby
Apr 09, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: middling
There is a scene in this book where two of the characters try discussing a movie they have just seen but find themselves unable to do so because they have forgotten the movie already. It wasn't a bad movie - just a bit "nothing". Oddly enough, that's pretty much how I'd describe this book. I read the book quite happily, but as soon as I had turned the last page the whole reading experience seemed a bit of a blur.

I think the real problem is that the characters just coast along without being
Alice
Nov 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humour
I loved Whatever Makes You Happy, so I swooped on this when I found it in a charity shop and read it in a day. It's short, yes, but also compelling.

As the title suggests, The Love Hexagon is about six people (young, living in London, finding their way) and their interlocking relationships.

It's less assured than Sutcliffe's later books and I found the jumps between present and past tense, often within a paragraph, jarring. But I can't get enough of this sort of intellectual chick lit.
Lorena Walker
May 03, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I am like one of the only people (besides my sister) who really like this book... a little indulgent, a great love triangle... kept me interested!
Dylan Lea
Jul 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Solidly entertaining and funny. Feel like a saw a lot of people I know in the characters.
Bookend McGee
Oct 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Whoa. William Sutcliffe is one dark dude.
Dora Okeyo
This book is all over the place.
I liked how it started out- because I love books that start out with dialogues, they often introduce the characters fast and you get a sense of what the story might be like.
But, after reading it- I realized it is more muddled and you read trying to figure out what love and life is just like the characters are. So, I'd grant it the two stars because the plot is good, the flow of the story is also good, but other than that the characters do not leave a lasting
Andrew
Oct 01, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humour
I read 'are you experienced' by this author ages ago...a copy which had previously been given away with a magazine I changed upon in a charity shop...oddly enough this book had the same history.
That said I didn't enjoy this quite as much as his previous book despite the fact it covers some similar ground inasmuch as the book is a wry look at the complexity of human relationships and the games played therein.
That said despite this being a light and in many ways fun read it didn't really grab me.
Megan
May 30, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Sometimes I wonder if the people who write the review comments on the back of a book, read the same book I did. On the cover of this one, it was described as 'Incredibly funny' and 'an excruciating comic masterpiece.' It was certainly excruciating, but mostly in the cringe-worthy way and not remotely funny. Don't get me wrong, the writing was decent, but it felt like a day-time soap opera with all the drama and none of the entertainment. I suppose the title should have been more than enough to ...more
Nick Davies
This proved to be a very entertaining and funny novel, if admittedly lightweight. Perhaps illustrative of this is that I borrowed and read it in 2004, and then in 2007 saw a copy in a shop and thought 'I have a vague recollection of reading and enjoying something by this author in the past, I'll buy that and read it'. So yes, one could easily mistake it for middle-of-the-road 'chick lit', but written by a bloke, but it was enjoyable and funny.
Sophie
Dec 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Love Hexagon follows six twenty-somethings living in London whose clear-cut relationships soon tumble into a chaotic melting pot of lust, love, hatred and desire. It made me laugh out loud in parts, particularly the dynamic between Graham and Guy, and feel wistful in others. A short, easy read - but an enjoyable one nonetheless!
Ramesh
Dec 28, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Humans will never be satisfied whith what they have.The grass will always seem greener on the other side.And sometimes,we are blind to the great things infront of us which are hidden within.Overall,an honest book about the human heart and mind.
Donald
Dec 15, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Despite reading many bad reviews, I decided to give this a try anyway. It turns out that most of the criticism was on target. There just are not any likable characters in the book which makes it hard to enjoy. I quit about half way through.
Karschtl
Story of changing partners and at the end of the book almost every of the six had 'a thing' with everyone of the opposite sex. Until at last the 'right couples' come together. It is a nice idea, but somehow I didn't like the style of the author.
Ryan
Feb 02, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Overplotted and uninteresting.
Jan 27, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2008-reads
Like watching a British soap opera if everyone had detailed thought bubbles over their heads at all times. This is, predictably, quite entertaining, but also leaves you, when you manage to put it down, with the ill little low that sometimes comes after you watch too much TV without meaning to.
Moem
Mar 18, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: meh
A pleasant read but not much more. It reads a bit like a soap series. Getting the right relationship seems to be the only thing that matters to the people in this book... and it's also a bit predictable. But the style is amusing enough.
Sars
Oct 03, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A staggeringly self-absorbed individual and her clueless boyfriend self-destruct their relationship, dragging all their friends in just for the hell of it. Not great, but at least it doesn't take itself too seriously. I've read worse.
Nicholas
Mar 07, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The characters blended together, but the basic idea of showing viewpoints of six people in various relationships with (and not with) each other allowed this reader to identify at times with each. Showed people making stupid decisions and assumptions in ways that were completely human.
Thomas Appleby
predictable humour, boring in fact, read are you experiencd, mr sutcliffe a one hit wonder
Jan 29, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was alright. I preferred "Are You Experienced" because at least I got to read about traveling through India. This was a little smutty.
Raffi
Nov 13, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the characters. Reads like it wants to be a play.
Ammi T
Jan 21, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read the Swedish version "6 x kärlek"
Dana
Aug 30, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
brutal and coarse, highly disturbing, reminded me of the movie "closer" on overload!
Andy
Dec 14, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
One word: aweful.
Bruce Campbell
Oct 28, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in relationships
This is a really funny light read, spoiled only by a crap last chapter. A quick holiday romance.
Robert Jones
Very cute, If you want to get away and read a nice story. Simple and short. I have not a bad thing to say.
Bridget
Sutcliffe isn't a "great" writer but I really enjoy him. The books are consistently engaging and enjoyable to read.

Think "Coupling" but less cheesy.
Jim McGowan
Oct 10, 2009

• Blockbuster: How Hollywood Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Summer
  • This Is The One: Sir Alex Fergusonmanchester; The Uncut Story Of A Football Genius
  • Please Don't Go: Big John's Journey Back to Life
  • The Cromwell Street Murders: The Detective's Story
  • The Nation's Favourite
  • Wild and Crazy Guys: How the Comedy Mavericks of the '80s Changed Hollywood Forever
  • The Party
  • Raise High the Roof Beam, Carpenters & Seymour: An Introduction
  • R is for Ricochet (Kinsey Millhone, #18)
  • S is for Silence (Kinsey Millhone, #19)
  • O is for Outlaw (Kinsey Millhone, #15)
  • J is for Judgment (Kinsey Millhone, #10)
  • Woodlawn: One Hope. One Dream. One Way.
  • Deck the Halls
  • To the Highest Bidder
  • Best Kept Secrets
  • The Klone and I: A High-Tech Love Story
  • Playing House
William Sutcliffe was born in 1971 in London. He is the author of eight novels, New Boy, Are You Experienced?, The Love Hexagon, Bad Influence, Whatever Makes You Happy, The Wall, Concentr8 and We See Everything, which have been translated into twenty-six languages.

The Wall was shortlisted for the 2014 CILIP Carnegie Medal. Are You Experienced? has been reissued on the prestigious Penguin