Start by marking “Red Rising (Trilogie Red Rising #1)” as Want to Read:
Red Rising (Trilogie Red Rising #1)

Red Rising (Red Rising Saga #1)

4.26  ·  Rating details ·  162,157 Ratings  ·  18,858 Reviews
Dans le futur, la Terre n’est plus habitable. Pour survivre, la Société est partie coloniser Mars. Les Ors, ses membres les plus riches, érigés en aristocrates, ont réduit les autres en esclavage…

La Terre est en train de mourir. Darrow est un Rouge, un mineur qui creuse les entrailles de Mars. Il doit en extraire assez d’hélium 3 pour qu’un jour la surface de la planète so
Published June 17th 2015 by Hachette (first published January 28th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Red Rising, please sign up.
Kristine I'm a professional format editor. I can tell you from experience that the same text translated from English to Spanish takes up more space. Not sure…moreI'm a professional format editor. I can tell you from experience that the same text translated from English to Spanish takes up more space. Not sure if it's because their words tend to be longer, or if it's all the masculine and feminine articles that we don't use in English that add in more words, but there you have it. (less)
Wendy Bloink Pinks are sterilized in order to create new pinks they are created in a lab. It explains in detail in the novels I recommend reading them.. If…morePinks are sterilized in order to create new pinks they are created in a lab. It explains in detail in the novels I recommend reading them.. If re-reading to find your answers (less)

Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
Actual rating: 2.5
“Darrow. Come here. Come.” He grabs my shoulder and pulls me in. “Others may have failed. But you’ll be different, Darrow. I feel it in my bones.”
I'm sorry, was I supposed to feel something?

I suppose boredom is a feeling. Not a single tear was shed. Not for a single instance was a single emotion heightened. It was by no means a bad book, but the message got lost in the telling, and there is just. So. Much. Telling. The writing is fantastic, but the plot just didn't work for
Navessa
*I received this ARC in exchange for an honest review and honestly? I BLOODYDAMN LOVED IT*

You think you’ve read a dystopian book? Quit lying to yourself. That was teenage angst wrapped in a shiny new package, cashing in on the popularity of this genre.

You think you’ve read about evil futuristic regimes? Nope, those were one dimensional villains that will look cartoony compared the assholes in this book.

You think you’ve seen hurt and suffering and despair and heartache? You’ve seen nothing.

You th
Rick Riordan
Dec 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
(Minor spoilers follow) Red Rising introduces us to Darrow, a sixteen-year-old miner who toils deep in the mines of Mars a few hundred years in the future. In Darrow's world, humanity has spread across the solar system, and has been organized into a strict caste system of colors, with Gold at the top and Red at the bottom. Darrow is a Red, but he is making the most of his hard life in the mines. He is good at his work. He has a beautiful wife Eo (they get married young and die young down in the ...more
Patrick
Sep 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I picked up Red Rising because a *lot* of the people at Worldbuilders were goofy over the books, and, by extension, the author Pierce Brown.

Earlier this year, when I went to a convention where he was going to be in attendance, the Worldbuilders team told me that if I didn't capture Pierce like a Pokemon and bring him back to the office with me, I shouldn't bother coming home at all....

I got to hang out with Pierce there, and he was irritatingly polite, witty, and charming. That, combined with th
Emily May
Jun 03, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, sci-fi, 2013
“I am the Reaper and death is my shadow.”

2 1/2 stars. Red Rising isn't really a bad book - 2.5 stars still means halfway between "it was ok" and "I liked it", after all. And many other reviews will tell you how amazing most people found it, but I struggled to locate the magic that so many other people seem to have found within its pages.

Red Rising is considered and marketed as dystopian/sci-fi, which technically it is, but it reads with a dense wordiness that is reminiscent of high fantasy n
Val ⚓️ Shameless, Skanky, and B*tchy ⚓️ Steamy Reads
BIGGGGGG DNF

Holy effing hell, people.

Or should. I say. Holy. Effing. Helldiver.

All I can say is...

description

Seriously though, I was expecting some uber Sci-Fi awesomeness here and I feel like I got shafted with some broke ass YA that took itself waaaaaaay too seriously without having any actual sincerity.

There is NO way I could have been reading the same book as everyone else.

That's gotta be it.

My local library must have accidentally supplied me with the staccato-speak, melodramatic version of this th
Kat O'Keeffe
Dec 25, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a little bit difficult for me to get into--lots of world building and unique vocab--but once I settled into the story, I started to really enjoy it! I definitely get the comparison to The Hunger Games, and thought it also felt similar to Divergent and even The Son of Neptune at times, but it's still very different and original. I didn't really connect emotionally to the main character, but I did still like watching his journey. Gritty and intense and very entertaining! A strong start to ...more
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more
5/3/18 - ON SALE for $1.99:

1/27/16 - Updated Review:

Pierce Brown would be a Gold in the society he built, and it kind of pisses me off.

This is the third time I've read RED RISING, it's the first time I've read it since reading GOLDEN SON, and, more than ever, I'm convinced he's a bloodydamn genius.

AND he's beautiful.

It's not fair.

You don't get to be brilliant AND talented AND have those eyes AND those arms:

You're welcome.

In heels, I might be taller than him, but who the
Dorreh
Dec 11, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's like The Martian marries the hunger games, then the hunger games gets into an affair with the game of Thrones.
I think that speaks for itself, but let's elaborate further just for the sake of my sanity shall we??

I want to first of all point out what really gripped me in this book, because even though I liked it very much, I was 30% confusion, 20% outrage, 50% admiration. I'm not to great at math, but thats a 100% of how I felt. The gripping part to me was not the romance( which was pretty g
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
When I first read the book I must have been on crack, because it went from 4 stars to 5 and my favorites list! It's bloodydamn awesome! Let me just say the second time around listening to it on audio was fanfreakingtastic! The narrator nails it and there is a song in the book and a woman sings it at the end and I got freaking chills people. Chills!

I have my loves: Darrow, Sevro, Mustang, Pax, Roque. There are a few more but those are the mains.

I'm going to have to add a few spoilers with excer
Petrik
Oct 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Sci-Fi & Dystopian fans
Shelves: owned-physical
4.5/5 Stars

Buddy reading this with my favorites:
Sweet Mary, Sister Sarah, Tweebie, Jennymort, Innocent May

Let’s get the two most asked questions about this book out of the way first.

1. Is this book geared towards YA audience?
No, it’s not. The only thing that fits the YA genre on this book is that Darrow’s (The MC) age starts at 16 years old in the beginning, that’s it. Everything else from the writing, plot, world building is definitely in adult territory.

2. Is this book really similar to The H
Virginia Ronan ♥ Herondale ♥
”Brave pioneers, always remember that obedience is the highest virtue. Above all, obedience, respect, sacrifice, hierarchy…”

It’s been quite a while I last dove into a science fiction series but “Red Rising” definitely was worth it!

This book was so well made and always forced me to think ahead, to anticipate what would come next and to try to figure out how the MC would handle the situation! Just like Darrow I constantly found myself wondering who was going to stab him in the back and who would
Darth J

Red Rising reads like a 12 year old boy’s fever script for an action movie. It lacks originality and borrows heavily from The Hunger Games. Don’t believe me? Both have a society split up into different fractions, depending on what they provide the world. Both have arenas with teens killing each other, while patrons look on and provide gifts for their favored participants. Both have protagonists who have signature weapons from a hunter/gatherer society. There are a few differences, but it’s the s
Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
2nd read:
I'm a dumbass. I fully admit to being a dumbass.

I don't know what the hell I was doing the first time I read this book..because I gave it 3.5 stars. After reading so many shitty books this year I know now what a great book this really is.

This time it gets it's full five stars. Five frigging, huge, screaming stars. Stars for SeVRo, Pax, Mustang and the rest of these characters.

1st read: When I was a dumbass.
Unpopular opinion time. I'm sorry fangirls. I just didn't love this book.

I did
Kai
Apr 05, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
“I would have lived in peace. But my enemies brought me war.”

A man, whose life is about to change in every way possible. From the bones of his body to the colour of his eyes, from the place he lives to the way he talks. He's got nothing to lose and everything to gain.

I was incredibly intrigued to start this series. I watched Red Rising go from underrated to hyped and now that the final installment of the series was released, I had to give it a try as well.
I first started the book and put it down
Mikee Andrea (ReadWithMikee)
❝I will rise. I will attend the Academy. I will learn to lead fleets. I will win. I will sharpen myself into a sword. I will give my soul. I will dive to hell in hopes of one day rising to freedom. I will sacrifice.❞

HOLY CRAP. What a ride. I don't even know where to begin! I knew there had to be a reason why everyone was talking about this series but WOW. Red Rising was really something else. I expected a typical YA "chosen one" type of fantasy novel but this book was so much more complex th
Lola
description

This is the kind of book that truly makes you feel somehow...bad for only giving it 2 stars. It’s like it deserves more, even though I didn’t actually enjoy reading it. It’s a weird feeling but I have to face my thoughts: the story was mostly boring and I struggled to finish it.

The weirdest thing is that I LOVED the beginning and where the plot seemed to be going. We met some incredible and unique characters, at that point of the story. I wished for them to be present in it throughout the book.
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
Mammoth buddy read with my Fantasy Buddy Reads confederates starting Jan. 2, 2015.

Rating: 1.5

Brace yourselves, this is not going to go well.

YES, I only gave this book 1.5 stars when most of you freaks out there gave it a 5 star rating. But it could have been worse and I'm actually marvelling at the fact that I was able to finish the book at all. Granted, I skimmed through most of the last chapters because there is only so much boredom I can take.

First off, let's get something straight: when ever
Kimi

Holy bloody gory damn shit. This book you guys.

THIS. BOOK.

I feel like Darrow would benefit from some basic life advice so here it goes.

Basic Life Advice 101.
(view spoiler)
Katerina
Darn this book is GOOD!

Pierce Brown is a freaking mastermind. Red Rising is a blend of science-fiction and dystopia with reference to History's greatest conquerors and Greek mythology, and the result is savage.
“I would have lived in peace. But my enemies brought me war.”

Darrow is a Red, working in the mines below the surface of Mars in order to make Mars inhabitable and secure the future of mankind. Reds are mostly slaves, but he has accepted his fate, thinking he's making sacrifices for t
Natasha Polis
Jan 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the most exciting books I've read in awhile! So glad I finished it now I can talk to Pierce about his book! Book talk coming soon on my channel!
Catriona (LittleBookOwl)
Well. That was a hell of a ride! Fantastic. Action-packed. Love to love, and sometimes hate, all of the characters we meet. I need MORE!

I can't believe it has taken me SO long to get to this series, but I'm so glad I finally have.
Robin (Bridge Four)
Sale Alert 18Dec17: I really enjoyed this entire series and today the first book in it is on sale for $1.99 Here

I might have liked this even more the second time through. Fantastic.
 photo highsix_zpsab9390d3.gif

Dystopian novels seem to be a dime a dozen lately, some good, some horrible, so it is great to see a book set itself apart and really capture my imagination. Red Rising is a combination of The Hunger Games and Lord of the Flies if you turned the volume up to 11.

I am the spark that will set the worlds afire. I am th
Anne
I just did a re-read to prep myself for Golden Son.
*squeals*
For me, it was definitely the right choice.
I would have missed a lot of references...mainly, because my tiny dinosaur brain can't hold onto/recall information like it used to.
So.
Was it still as good as I remembered?

Original 2013 review:

This review can also be seen at Addicted2Heroines.
There's a lot of hype surrounding this book, and for once it's totally deserved.
How often can you really say that?!
When I first started reading it, I w
Sabrina The Trash Queen
✨THIS WAS AND IS AWESOME!!!! Oh man, why didn’t I read this before?
✨ My heart broke not even 10 chapters in! What that hell? I don’t think I will survive the other books!
✨ I feel like some characters that I REALLY LIKE are going to die in the following books, and I’m so not ready for that.
✨Oh well, what’s another broken heart, right?

Ps: SEVRO don’t you dare die on me!!!!!! BEST CHARACTER ever!! I’m going to be really pissed if he dies 😤.
Kaylin (The Re-Read Queen)
2 Stars

Overview:

ALRIGHT EVERYBODY. HOLD ON TIGHT.

BECAUSE IT’S TIME FOR UNPOPULAR OPINIONS

To my all GR friends who loved this book and/or recommended it to me:
description

I'm really glad you loved it! This just didn't work for me...
description

Pros:

This is brutal. Pierce Brown does a fantastic job of creating a treacherous and gritty world. Almost all dystopias rely on a sense of danger, but most of the characters are safe. Not here. It wasn’t just that characters could die, but there was absolutely no mercy if the
Sana
Initial Reaction:
*screams and throws book across the room*
WTF I WAS SUPPOSED TO LOVE THIS. THIS WAS SUPPOSED TO BE AS GOOD AS THE AUTHORS FACE.

I am so disappointed and was not expecting to be DYING OF BOREDOM.

○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●

Here is my rant:

I really enjoyed the beginning of this book, but when it hit around the 80 page mark, I started to lose interest and get bored. I know, for many people the first 70 or 80 pages were very boring and it got bet
Melanie
ARC provided by the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

Red Rising is the oldest ARC I have on my TBR. One of my 2017 goals was to read and review it, because I always felt so much pressure when I'd think about picking it up, because this is such a beloved book in the community.

In this world that takes place in our universe, mostly on Mars, everyone is subdivided into color categories based on their skill sets, income, hair color, and what last name they possess (informatio
C.G. Drews
READ #2 = Dec 2017
In honour of Iron Gold coming in like...a month (!!) I decided I absolutely needed to reread this. I read an eARC like stupidly early (about 6months!?) because I don't even know. My brain is a refried waffle. So I literally remembered NOTHING except that I bloodydamn love this book. And that hasn't changed at all. I'm so in awe of the manipulation, the complex world building, the absolute epicness and the freaking GORYDAMN MESS OF IT ALL. It's fantastic. Basically the best sci-
April
Feb 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Definitely surprised me with how good this book was.
  • Fortune's Pawn (Paradox #1)
  • Salvage
  • Coda (Coda, #1)
  • Avalon (Avalon, #1)
  • Firefight (The Reckoners, #2)
  • Across a Star-Swept Sea (For Darkness Shows the Stars, #2)
  • Catalyst (Insignia, #3)
  • Dissonance (Dissonance, #1)
  • Nemesis Games (The Expanse #5)
  • The Red: First Light (The Red #1)
  • The Darwin Elevator (Dire Earth Cycle, #1)
  • This Shattered World (Starbound, #2)
  • Stormdancer (The Lotus Wars, #1)
  • Archetype (Archetype, #1)
  • Burn Out (Burn Out, #1)
  • Winterlong (Winterlong, #1)
  • Dreams of Gods & Monsters (Daughter of Smoke & Bone, #3)
  • Genesis
Hello. I'm Pierce Brown, the author of the Red Rising Saga, a NYT #1 bestseller. The newest entry, IRON GOLD debuts January 15, 2018.

I figured I'd write you myself than have corporate copy pasted below my totally natural author photo.

In my books you'll find stories of men and women finding their inner strength when all seems lost. You'll also find me exploring themes of power--what it means, why
More about Pierce Brown

Red Rising Saga (6 books)
  • Golden Son (Red Rising, #2)
  • Morning Star (Red Rising, #3)
  • Iron Gold (Red Rising, #4)
  • Dark Age (Red Rising Saga, #5)
  • Untitled (Red Rising Saga #6)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Trail of Dead (Scarlett Bernard, #2)
  • The Regulars
  • Childhood's End
  • The Mirror
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Voyage to Magical North (The Accidental Pirates)
    $5.67 $2.99
  • Raven's Peak (World on Fire, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Swords and Deviltry (Lankhmar, 1)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Garden of Stones (Echoes of Empire, #1)
  • Dracula [Kindle in Motion]
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Autumn Republic (Powder Mage #3)
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Stinger
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Extracted (Extracted Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Haven (Rain Wild Chronicles, #2)
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Spirit Hunters
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Brilliance (Brilliance Saga, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Act Two (Cirque des Immortels, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Better World (Brilliance Saga, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Written in Fire (Brilliance Saga, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Final Act (Cirque des Immortels, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
  • Ocean of Storms
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Sword of Shannara Trilogy (Shannara, #1-3)
    $19.99 $2.99
  • Artful
  • Till We Have Faces: A Myth Retold
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Chains of Command (Frontlines, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Angles of Attack (Frontlines, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Into the Dim
  • Dread Nation
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
  • Six Wakes
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
  • Midnight Robber
  • Taken (Taken, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Lion of Senet (Second Sons Trilogy, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • City
    $7.99 $1.99
  • You Suck (A Love Story, #2)
  • The Chocolate Touch
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Perfect Blood (The Hollows, #10)
  • Mama Day
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
  • Infinite
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Boundary Lines (Boundary Magic, #2)
  • The Mermaid's Sister
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Boundary Born (Boundary Magic, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Kissed by Darkness (Sunwalker Saga, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Marked (Supernatural Prison, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Blood Kissed (Lizzie Grace, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • A Glimmer of Hope (The Avalon Chronicles #1)
  • Celia and the Fairies
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Best Served Cold (First Law World, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Valor (The Faithful and the Fallen, #2)
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • To Honor You Call Us (Man of War, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunter's Trail (Scarlett Bernard, #3)
  • Wool: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $2.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
  • Ticker
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Barsk: The Elephants' Graveyard (Barsk, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
“You do not follow me because I am the strongest. Pax is. You do not follow me because I am the brightest. Mustang is. You follow me because you do not know where you are going. I do.” 609 likes
“I would have lived in peace. But my enemies brought me war.” 506 likes