Start by marking “Rembrandt's Mirror” as Want to Read:
Rembrandt's Mirror

Rembrandt's Mirror

"Hendrickje, a girl from a strict Calvinist family leaves her provincial home to find work as a housemaid. She enters Rembrandt's flourishing workshop five years after the death of the great artist's wife, an event that continues to haunt him. It is a house full of secrets and desires, and Hendrickje soon witnesses a sexual encounter between Rembrandt and Geertje, his ...more
Published August 6th 2015 by Atlantic

To ask other readers questions about Rembrandt's Mirror, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rembrandt's Mirror

Start your review of Rembrandt's Mirror
Hermien
Sep 05, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: nederlands, art
I was really looking forward to reading this book but was bitterly disappointed. I did not learn anything about Rembrandt I didn't already know and although the writer says Rembrandt led a very interesting life she did not manage to translate that into her book. I also did not like the fact most of the book was written in the first person from Hendrickje's POV and then suddenly changes to chapters in the third person about what Rembrandt was up to. The most interesting part was the end of the ...more
Helen Carolan
Jan 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was a beautiful read. When Hendrickje comes to work for famed artist Rembrandt, her strong religious beliefs are shaken to discover he's having an affair with his housekeeper and has been since his wife died 5 years earlier. Slowly she begins to fall for him and begins her own affair with him. Beautifully written this looks at Rembrandt as a flawed man and the three women who loved him.
Jessica M
Aug 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Rembrandt’s Mirror, set during the Dutch Golden Age, brings artist Rembrandt into the limelight. The book takes place during the painter’s later years, plagued by a long series of personal and financial losses.

The novel is anchored by the three women in in his life. Firstly, the reader is introduced to his wife Saskia, who dies in 1642 and leaves Rembrandt paralysed by grief. Secondly, Geertje, his housekeeper and lover. And finally, we are introduced to Hendrickje, a young maid who becomes his
Heidi
Nov 20, 2015 rated it liked it
Rembrandt surrounded himself with inspirational works of art but his personal life was anything but beautiful. The novel delves into the periods of grief that he endured, his financial woes plus the difficult relationships he established with his live-in maids. For a novel intended to reflect on the master behind beautiful and much-loved portraits and etchings, this novel seemed a little drab.
Colleen Fauchelle
Nov 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites-2015
I really enjoyed this book. I do like reading about people from the past in fiction form. At the back of the book it talks about each of the main people mentioned in the book. This is a story about Rembrandt's wife and loves and some of his paintings. He lived in the 1600, such a long time ago.

This book is beautifully written so a really lovely and easy to read.

My copy: Atlantic Books
ISBN 9781782396772
It's a Trade paper back with beautiful gold edging.

Katelyn
Jan 24, 2018 rated it it was ok
Zemlja
Knjiga koja će se dopasti svim ljubiteljima kako Rembranta, tako u umetnosti uopšte. Veoma deskriptivna, nabijena jakim emocijama. Zaista sam uživala u ovoj knjizi. Jedini razlog što joj nisam dala 5* je to što je možda previše dramatična za moj ukus i prepuna patnji koje su veoma slikovito opisane.
Tracey
Feb 27, 2017 rated it liked it
OK. A good imagining of Rembrandts possible motives for his treatment of Geertje. And fascinating descriptions of 'seeing' the unseen - painting the inside and not just the outside, bringing a character to life on canvas. But the book did little to make Rembrandt, the man, more likeable.
Cora Moore
Sep 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Kim Devereux is a credit to her teachers at Edinburgh University and Bath Spa. She uses words to paint a canvas portraying the light and shadows of life much in the same way as Rembrandt did with paint. The prose managed to touched my heart and soul with its intensity and intimacy.
GBL
Sep 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Nona
Oct 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: listened
Well I was really looking forward to reading this book, and its descriptions of the characters and Rembrandt's paintings were great, BUT, I began to wonder very early in the book whether Kim DEVEREUX was overshadowing her passion for Rembrandt by writing a book about erotica.
Although it is partly fictional if the DEVEREUX really found all the sexual evidence of Rembrandt's life she is exceptional.
What relevance the way and how often Rembrandt had sex and with whom, is hard to figure out. Yes of
Beverly
Jan 22, 2019 rated it liked it
Rembrandt's "seeing" and his techniques spoke to me. I wanted to see images of those paintings! And I wanted to pick up a paintbrush myself.

Some episodes were a little too graphic but maybe that's what life was like back then ...
00100100 00100100
Oct 07, 2019 rated it liked it
A good read. It was really interesting to see the personality and private life of Rembrant told through the book. Some really emotional moments.
Patriciagoodwin
May 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Quite readable but I'm afraid it was too much like Girl with the Pearl EAring, but not nearly as good.
Jane
Jun 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I was asked to review Rembrandt’s Mirror beautifully written by Kim Devereux from Lovereading.co.uk. This is her debut novel and what a great start to her writing career.

This story is essentially about the three women of the great Dutch artist Rembrandt’s life who lived from 1606-1669. This story concentrates on his later years after the deaths of his wife and three children. Hendrickje Stoffels who is his last great love and housemaid comes to work for him five years after his wife’s death. She
Thebooktrail
Aug 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Take a booktrail around Amsterdam setting -Rembrandts Mirror

Oh the writing is like the sweeping brush strokes of an artist who paints with words. When I read that the author is an award-winning short-film director and producer of documentaries, then you can definitely see this in the writing an the cinematic feel of the novel.

Like many people I admit to knowing little of the man himself but by weaving fact and fiction together I could visualise everything about his life and the women he loved.
Ilonka Pipe
Jan 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
From the first moment I was fascinated by this book. First of all, it was the visual appearance that impressed me so much. The rich blue of the cover, and above all the golden edges of the pages, have charmed me before I even had begun to read. I had barely opened the book and I was captivated by the extremely clear and vivid style of the author. The book took me back to the Netherlands of the 17th century and it is so graphically written that I really felt pushed back into these years. At the ...more
Amelia
Sep 24, 2015 rated it it was ok
Maybe I'm being harsh with two stars, but while I enjoyed the very personal story of Rembrandt's loves and late life, there was something missing for me. Perhaps I needed more history, more weight and truth mixed in with the fantasy of what his love life was like. Did very much enjoy reading this while living in Holland; knowing Rembrandt walked the same streets and areas I've visited is quite amazing.
Vicky
Nov 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Rembrandt and his women are an intense mix of emotions, betrayals and feelings in this historical fiction. The genius of an artist does not exclude the weaknesses of a man, but art is a strongest presence in this book and you want to go and find more about his famous work and look at them with a fresh interest.
Tredaran
Jun 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Beautifully written narrative, inspired by Rembrandt's paintings and linking them to events in his life. The book was meticulously researched and although the chapters are vignettes which are almost stand alone, like short stories, the author's passion for her subject matter is evident throughout.
SueLucie
May 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lovereading
Pre-publication review copy courtesy of www.lovereading.co.uk
Julie Reynolds
Dec 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
The writing style of the narrative was different, refreshing. It wasn't the happiest book I have ever read, however, it was tender with emotion and I liked that. Well written.
Verity W
Sep 04, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: novelicious
Read for Novelicious - review to follow.
Siobhán  McNaught

• The Gap of Time
  • The Inn at the Edge of the World
  • Villa America
  • Thoughtful Gardening: Great Plants Great Gardens Great Gardeners
  • Mistress of the Court (Georgian Queens, #2)
  • Flashman's Lady (The Flashman Papers, #6)
  • Flashman (The Flashman Papers, #1)
  • Royal Flash (The Flashman Papers, #2)
  • Red Notice
  • Flashman at the Charge (Flashman Papers, #4)
  • Flashman in the Great Game (The Flashman Papers, #5)
  • Flashman and the Redskins (The Flashman Papers, #7)
  • The Blood of Gods (Emperor, #5)
  • Where The Story Starts
  • Absolute Proof
  • Silent Victims (Prime Suspect, #3)
  • A Face in the Crowd (Prime Suspect, #2)