Start by marking “Solitaire (Solitaire, #1)” as Want to Read:
Solitaire (Solitaire, #1)

Solitaire

(Solitaire #1)

3.58  ·  Rating details ·  9,403 ratings  ·  2,012 reviews
Die sechzehnjährige Tori Spring hat das Gefühl, dass sie sich zwischen Weltschmerz, Erfolgsdruck, dem Zwang, ihre Zukunft planen, sich selbst finden und jetzt eigentlich die beste Zeit ihres Lebens haben zu MÜSSEN, verliert. Dass sie kurz davor ist, zu zerbrechen an der Gleichgültigkeit der Welt. Dass sich daran auch im neuen Jahr nichts ändern, dass wieder nichts ...more
Published August 21st 2015 by Deutscher Taschenbuch Verlag (first published July 31st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Solitaire, please sign up.
Katya
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Theo Hendrie She released a novella about them I believe but she also writes and draws the Heartstopper web comic on Tumblr which is about the two of them!

·  9,403 ratings  ·  2,012 reviews

Start your review of Solitaire (Solitaire, #1)
Alice Oseman
Jan 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
This is my first published book! I wrote it when I was 17 and it is very close to my heart. It features:
- a protagonist battling depression with self-deprecating jokes and learning to find joy in the world
- an eccentric speed skater who likes solving mysteries but doesn't have any friends
- two very different teens finding hope in a new friendship
- an online group of pranksters
- Nick and Charlie from heartstopper
I really hope you enjoy it!
Kiki
This book was pretty damn bad, but my review for it was also hot rambling garbage. Let me just be succinct: if you're looking to read the Oseman backlog, don't bother with this one. It's not worth it.
Kai
Apr 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned, 2015, queer, underrated
But bookstheyre different. When you watch a film, youre sort of an outsider looking in. With a bookyoure right there. You are inside. You are the main character.

4.5/5 stars

I first heard about Solitaire on Tumblr. I've been following Alice Oseman ever since and I desperately wanted to read her novel. So when I finally, finally! found it at the library I think I maybe made some loud joyful sound and hugged it...yeah.

I loved Solitaire from the beginning. I couldn't wait to read about all the
Romie
Just because someone smiles doesnt mean that theyre happy.

This isnt a book about happy people. I dont even think this book was made for happy people, they would dislike it, say everything inside this book is utter bullshit. But it isnt. Its the absolute truth.

This book broke me, I think Im reading it at the exact right moment in my life. 16-year-old me wouldnt have liked it all that much, she would have sympathised with the characters, but she wouldnt have understood them like 21-year-old me
Lily ☁️
3 1/2 stars
You can find my review here on my blog!

me: [hands out one- and two-star ratings to books everyone loves]
also me: [finally likes a book  its top reviews are mostly one and two star ratings]

My name is Victoria Spring. I think you should know that I make up a lot of stuff in my head and then get sad about it. I like to sleep and I like to blog. I am going to die someday. (I am Victoria, Victoria is me.)

🌈 buddy read with a golden soul
✨    jamieson   ✨
I think this is one of those books you either love or hate the reviews seem very polarising - I'm not sure exactly where I sit yet. I know I did enjoy it overall, mostly because of the writing style. I love Alice Oseman's writing, it flows so well you just get so caught up in it and I think she writes teenagers incredibly well.

I didn't love this anywhere near as close as I loved Radio Silence, but also this is Alice's debut, and I think it's nice to see how much she's grown and improved.

I know
Lea (drumsofautumn)
I really wanted to write a very detailed, slightly objective review of this but honestly I'm realizing I just can't. I thought this book was super problematic so I'm just gonna word vomit.
FIRST OF ALL big ass trigger warnings for suicide/suicidal thoughts, self-harm and eating disorders. Pretty sure there's more so please be very aware and feel free to ask me if you want to know about any specific ones!

I know the main character is relatable for many and I hope that any of you who read this will
Emer (A Little Haze)
Lol no.

This book has such inflated notions of itself but the execution is abysmal.

The MC Tori is supposed to be this sad and chronically depressed person that as a reader we are supposed to empathise with... But instead she's just a judgmental jerk! Honestly there's a difference between writing legitimate anxiety and depression versus general teenage malaise at life...
And sadly this book got both things wrong. *smh Solitaire*
Look I get what the aims were, but Oseman did not craft her MC well
April (Aprilius Maximus)
TW: self-harm, suicidal thoughts, eating disorder triggers.

I had a lot of problems with this book, but since I am currently on holidays, I will go into more depth at a later date!
Ally
Nov 24, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Nope.

description

I have a feeling I may just be way too worldly for this book. I mean, I'm old now. It's been a while since I was a teenager. But I guess my main beef with Solitaire is that, okay, sure its important for YA books to be relatable for the teenage audience it's aimed at, but that doesn't mean that it's okay for books to perpetuate harmful behaviours and attitudes and call it "brutally honest".

I know Alice Oseman was only what, seventeen when she wrote this. And, honestly? That's great.
Ashley
Aug 28, 2014 marked it as dnf  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, e-arc
Nose Graze Book reviews & blogging tips

I stopped reading this book at 27%.

Let's talk about Solitaire

In the book, Solitaire is some kind of blog/prankster group. We learn pretty quickly that their blog URL is http://solitaire.co.uk . My first thought (which continued to bug me throughout the book) was: "There's no way this domain name would be available." I'm pretty sure every non-obscure dictionary word is taken at this point (at least with the original and most common TLDs, like .com,
Emily May
I found the writing awkward and stilted. Couldn't finish.
Alexandra ☁
Oct 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2018
I read this in 3 days. I don't do that. It's a thing that doesn't happen.

Alice Oseman, we stan.
Zitong Ren
From what I know, this is Alice Osemans Debut novel, and compared to her other books that I have read of hers, which are Radio Silence and I Was Born For This, this book does not live up to the quality of those two books. I was excited to start this one since I loved those two books and comparing these two to this book is that I can certainly say that she has improved greatly as a writer.

Now, Im not one that reads many contemporary novels, and as such, I may be sprouting absolute rubbish in my
Nina
Jul 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2019
Book #5 for The Reading Rush: Read someone's debut novel.

I really, really enjoyed this one! It was such a quick and well-written read and I'm so glad I put it on my tbr for the readathon!

instagram || my blog || twitter
Lauren ✨ (YABookers)
"There comes a point, though, when you can't keep looking after other people anymore. You have to start looking after yourself."

Solitaire is a refreshing and brutally honest realistic fiction written by a teenager (Alice Oseman is only nineteen) for teenagers so it's totally and utterly relatable.

You know what I loved the most about Solitaire? Tori. Whilst she's cynical, sarcastic and rather mentally troubled, she's real and it's great to read and see her develop and I loved every second of it.
Anna (Enchanted by YA)
1.5 STARS
To go into a book with no expectations and then come out disappointed is an impressive feat. But not a good one.
The writing may have been relateable but the protagonist was not. By the end of the book I honest to god couldn't stand her and it made what could have been an interesting book with powerful messages, painful to read.
description
Natalie (Never trust a duck)
Thank you Andye from http://www.readingteen.net/ for your Review my Books program!

I quite honestly really really really enjoyed this book. Honestly. Solitaire was a major win.

Get it? XD

When the synopsis says it is "unflinchingly honest", it speaks the truth. Alice Oseman wrote a brilliant contemporary. Though I wouldn't expect anything else from a fellow 90s child. ;)
description

This book is hard to explain. I went into it knowing merely what it has printed on the cover, "This is the story of...Tori.
Meags
4 Stars

Solitaire is a unique, thought-provoking, and immersive YA story one that captures the genuine highs and lows of the high school experience and takes a deeper look at the affects that mental health problems (both acknowledged and unacknowledged) can have on teenagers, including issues relating to depression, anxiety and eating disorders.

Now, that all sounds a bit on the heavy side, but I promise its not all doom and gloom. In fact, even with the themes surrounding mental health, which
Julie Zantopoulos
There are parts of this story that I don't love, I'll be the first to admit that Solitaire's reveal was less than ideal and super crappy. Also, the absent parents of two teens who clearly need them more involved sucked out loud. But, I still really did enjoy other themes and discussions that took place. It's a hard story to read at times but I do think that portraying depression, stress, anxiety, and hopelessness is important for teens.

CW: disordered eating, suicide attempts, suicidal thoughts,
Miriam
Just finished my first book for this week's Read-A-Thon with the Goodreads Inspired Read-A-Thon -group :)
________________________
3.5 stars!

I already read Alice Oseman's Radio Silence and really enjoyed it, so I decided to give her debut a try as well. I must admit that I liked Radio Silence more, but I take this as an evidence that she clearly has developed as an author.

What impresses me most about her books is clearly her writing style. I think she manages to capture a teenager's thoughts
Maddie
Dec 06, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: stand-alones, ukya
Beautifully realistic and relatable. Alice Oseman is an author to watch.
Jackie
Mar 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i,, honestly dont know what to think of this book?? it was so much different from what i thought it would be but i still mostly enjoyed it.

ill have to think about it a bit more and give it a rating later!!
Spencer
Oct 22, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition

I dont want people to be worried about me. Theres nothing to worry about. I dont want people to try and understand why Im the way I am, because I should be the first person to understand that. And I dont understand yet. I dont want people to interfere. I dont want people in my head, picking out this and that, permanently picking up the broken pieces of me.

____________________________

Going into this book, I was very excited to read this. I love Marina and the Diamonds and this seems unrelated
Swaye
Jan 12, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books, 2018
If I could give this book minus stars I would.

There's no plot, just a list of references with a whole lot of diet lemonade to fill in the spaces between.

DNF'd at 51% because
Lizzy Reads
Oct 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tori Spring is a self-claimed pessimist, she likes to blog and sleep. She hates school and she has a group of friends who she doesn't feel like she fits anymore. She finds everything to become harder all of sudden, her brother Charlie had really hard time last year with mental health and she has helped him to recover. All these things have made Tori distant to her friends and she doesn't really like school not to mention how much it stresses her out.
She meets a weird and mysterious boy called
Bee (Heart Full of Books)
I don't think I've ever related to a character more. The writing was so incredibly real. Loved it.
Sophie
It's over, I'm done. That's about it. Review to come.

My relationship with this book was so much like my relationship with Perks of Being a Wallflower.: I severely disliked (borderline hated) it, whereas everyone else loved it. This book wasn't as painful as Perks (I mean I managed to read it within a couple of days, as compared to the few weeks Perks took), but every page I read just felt like a waste of time, and that I could have spent that time much better either reading other books or
Tom (T.J. Reads the Stars)
Where do I even begin...?

If nothing else, this book is testament to how far Alice Oseman has grown as a writer. I had reasonably low expectations, but even so, this book was such a massive disappointment. Although I enjoyed the writing, I thought that this book was poorly plotted, inconsistently paced, the main characters were severely under-developed, and the that the mental illness representation (depression and eating disorders) was extremely juvenile.

Such a massive shame, but I am so glad
Kerri
Mar 23, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had so many mixed emotions and reactions to this book while reading it that I'm sort of unsure how to review it. I really disliked the first quarter, I only kept reading because I hate abandoning books-- but it was an uphill battle, and I found myself actively disliking so much of it. For a while there I thought this might be the first book I've ever given one star too, something I felt stupidly guilty about, since it is only my opinion, amongst a sea of Goodreads reviews.

I'm glad I stuck

• Wayward Son (Simon Snow, #2)
  • I Wish You All the Best
  • Fence, Vol. 3
  • Pumpkinheads
  • Bloom
  • Red, White & Royal Blue
  • Fence, Vol. 2
  • Only Mostly Devastated
  • The Gentleman’s Guide to Getting Lucky (Montague Siblings, #1.5)
  • Fence, Vol. 1
  • The Infinite Noise (The Bright Sessions #1)
  • The Gravity of Us
  • Birthday
  • Laura Dean Keeps Breaking Up with Me
  • Yes No Maybe So
  • Her Royal Highness (Royals, #2)
  • Call Down the Hawk (Dreamer Trilogy, #1)
  • The Paper & Hearts Society (The Paper & Hearts Society #1)
Alice Oseman is an author/illustrator and was born in 1994 in Kent, England. She has written four YA contemporary novels about teenage disasters: SOLITAIRE, RADIO SILENCE, I WAS BORN FOR THIS, and upcoming LOVELESS. She is also the creator of LGBTQ+ YA romance webcomic HEARTSTOPPER, which is now published in physical form by Hachette Children's Books.

Alices first novel SOLITAIRE was published when