Start by marking “Breathless” as Want to Read:
Breathless

Breathless

4.67  ·  Rating details ·  18 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
A brush with death brings Leah closer to the ghosts she longs to find and throws her into the arms of the troubled scuba instructor who saves her.

Dale, an Operation Enduring Freedom Veteran, is haunted by his own restless spirits. He's on a hunt for forgiveness, and the Caribbean Sea is his hunting ground.

The peace they search for lies in the bond they never suspected th
Published May 28th 2015 by Three Worlds Press

To ask other readers questions about Breathless, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Breathless

Karen
Oct 19, 2015 rated it really liked it

Breathless was a really unique novella - enchanting, bittersweet and a touch magical.

I believe this is the first in a series about Leah, a girl who has suffered an unbearable loss and Dale, a haunted veteran and how they are tied together and will eventually heal each others hearts.

Although everything isn't tied up by the end of this novella, this particular story arc is and I look forward to following Leah and Dale's journey.
Noelle Riches
Oct 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
The suspense at the beginning of this book hooked me from the beginning. Loved the characters and the tension between them. Also loved having a vicarious scuba diving vacation in the Caribbean, which this provided quite nicely. My only complaint was that I wanted more! And that's not a bad complaint to have...
Karlee
Feb 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
When Leah is close to death in the depths of the ocean, her instructor Dale helps calm and save her. The of them become closer as the tour continues but will they be okay once they learn a secret they both are harboring? Is it true that fate really brought them together?
Linda Romer
May 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, reviews
Breathless by Jessica Bayliss

What a hauntingly beautiful, masterfully written piece. I loved this short story.
Breathless will keep you mesmerized and become etched on your soul. So well written, I only wish there was more.

I give Breathless 5 stars for its soul searching read.
I would recommend this story to everyone.
Ishabelle Torry
Jun 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
I was gifted this story at a Facebook party and I am glad I won it! I found this short tale captivating. Very well written with a strong voice.

Leah is a level headed, if not somewhat conflicted, character I fell in love with easily. I felt her turmoil over her brother's death as if it were my own at times. But she pushes through it and overcomes. Dale was a hot mystery waiting to be unwrapped, and I was surprised and delighted to learn his secrets.

If you're looking for a sweet summer read, thi
Alexandra
Feb 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
This novella sucks you right in, you are THERE, feel what she goes through, it made me breathless to read it and kept me at my toes the whole time. It twists and turns and takes the reader to fantastic places and deep emotions. I enjoyed it very much!
Amelinda Bérubé
Ghosts at sea, what a great premise! Uses the indifference of the sea to human frailty to great effect and keeps the ghostly element subtle but suggestive and atmospheric.
A.J. DeJong
Aug 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Romantic

This book was romantically suspenseful and not nearly long enough! I want to know what happens between the main characters but she left us with a total cliff-hanger! 😀
C.S. Lakin
Jul 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Great short story!

I fell right into this story and was riveted till the end. Beautifully developed with so few pages. It could have easily be stretched into a novel.
Gmariemerante
Jun 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Loved this short story! Great summer read. Island resort, deep water diving, two people struggling with grief, drawn to each other. Beautifully and vividly written!
Dana Mele
May 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jessica Bayliss's Breathless is well-paced, thoughtful, and a lightning quick read. It is by turns romantic and chilling as it explores the relationship rapidly forming between a tourist haunted by her past in search of a ghost and a sexy dive instructor with his own secret. Bayliss treats the reader to some deft and subtle twists and turns, but they are so smoothly woven into the story that I never felt so much as a ripple coming my way. I can't decide whether this is best described as a ghost ...more
Casie
Feb 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
A well written short story, filled with adventure, romance, loss, and ghosts. A strong lead character Leah is rescued by her diving instructor when her air supply runs out and sparks fly, but there could be something more that brings them together. Both are searching for ghosts from there past and trying to heal from tragedy that had taken loved ones away, but this is what binds and brings these two together.
Kristen Gough
Feb 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a great short love story that left me wanting more! Dale and Leah have an intense chemistry and they are a good fit for each other. I loved the vivid descriptions that made it easy for me to become a part of this story and I look forward to much more from this author in the future. I recommend reading this to anyone and I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
D.J.
Jun 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The author paints stunning scene after stunning scene, deftly describing the details of every scene, making the reader feel a part of the story. Without giving anything away, the ending is chilling.

This is a quick and easy read that packs a lot into its few pages. I look forward to reading more from Jessica Bayliss.
Dana Mele
May 25, 2017
Tabitha Bird
Richard
Jun 11, 2017
Jessica Bayliss
Oct 24, 2017 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Here's what people are saying about BREATHLESS:

"...a great story, exploring the human soul's emotional needs with insight and an exciting touch of mystery and the paranormal.", Hilary Hawks from Readers Favorite

Breathless by Jessica Bayliss is a short novel/story with a paranormal theme. Leah is on a diving holiday in the Caribbean, looking for closure and resolution after the death of her twin brother, Evan. She escapes death herself: scuba diving instructor Dale comes to her aid when her oxyge
Jeannine Colette
Dilyana
May 18, 2017
Traci
May 24, 2017
Jessica Bayliss is a fiction author with a Ph.D. in clinical psychology who loves all things reading and writing. Author of the young adult horror novella, BROKEN CHORDS and YA thriller, TEN AFTER CLOSING , she has been a lover thrillers and ghost tales since her days scanning VHS rental shelves—admittedly with eyes half-averted from the gory covers. She also loves to eat, cook, and exercise—in th ...more