Start by marking “If I Had a Gryphon” as Want to Read:
If I Had a Gryphon

If I Had a Gryphon

Sam just got a hamster for a pet. She's not really impressed. The hamster isn't very exciting--he mostly eats and sleeps and gets his shavings wet. BORING!

After reading a book about mythological creatures, Sam gets some ideas for more exciting pets. But she soon realizes that taking care of these magical beasts might not be as wonderful as she though. Unicorns
Published February 9th 2016 by Tundra Books

Patty
Feb 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: middle-grade
Sam receives a hamster for a pet, yet she finds the hamster to be quite boring. She dreams of having mythological creatures as a pet instead but soon comes to realize the challenges and reality of having mythological creatures as pets. I absolutely loved this book! With engaging rhymes and stunning illustrations, If I Had a Gryphon was incredibly fun and cute to read
Tiff at Mostly YA Lit
Adorable. Sam is the new owner of a hamster, but finds that it's not quite as dazzling as the creatures in the mythological book she's reading. She imagines herself owning everything from a unicorn to a chimera, and in the process, realizes that taking care of those animals might be pretty difficult, too.

Full of charming and delicate verse, fantastical creatures (the phoenix is my favorite), and colourful illustrations that will appeal to both kids and parents. This book is perfect for your fou
Jamie (Books and Ladders)
Oct 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Disclaimer: I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review

THIS WAS SO ADORABLE!!!! I loved the images and the story. I liked that this was about mythological creatures but also about the very real pets we get as well. I will have a full review plus an interview with Vikki VanSickle on Books Are My Fandom on October 24th!
Wayne McCoy
Dec 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
'If I Had a Gryphon' by Vikki VanSickle with illustrations by Cale Atkinson is a laugh out loud book of "what if" choices for pet owners.

When Sam gets a hamster for a pet, she is a bit underwhelmed. She imagines what owning grander (and imaginary) pets might look like and discovers that they would hold their own excitement. Perhaps a bit too much. She thinks about owning a dragon, a gryphon, a hippogriff, a kraken and many others. They all pose their own problems. Imagine what happen
Emily
Nov 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
So cute, loved the illustrations!
David J
Mar 27, 2016 rated it liked it
If I Had a Gryphon is a fun little picture book about a girl who, at first, is uncharmed by her ordinary hamster and imagines how great it would be to have a mythic creature as a pet. While she goes through a wide assortment of cool beasts, she comes to a conclusion that may surprise you. It has some neat illustrations by Cale Atkinson, too.

I don't normally go around reading picture books--that's not really my style--but I work at a book store and, as I set this book up for a new promotion
Ashley
Dec 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was incredible fun and super sweet. I love children's books that rhyme and its always a plus in my book if they have something to do with mythical creatures. Each page was filled with vivid color and amazing art, the way Vikki VanSickle mimicked actual brushstrokes in her artwork was just wonderful. With a little one's birthday coming up for good friend of mine I'll be sure to pick up a copy of this to add to their chills library.
Danielle
Aug 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Really enjoyed this one.

It introduces mythological creatures while using lively rhyming text, like this bit about a unicorn: "We'd prance through fields of posies and nibble nectarines/I'd shine her horn with candy corn to get a starry sheen."

I mean, great stuff. Shout out to terrific illustrations too.
Morris
This is a cute rhyming book featuring beautiful full-page illustrations and a diverse main character. It is guaranteed to keep kids engaged and even has a bonus of teaching them about mythological animals! There is quite a bit of imagination contained between the covers.

This unbiased review is based upon a copy won through the Goodreads First Reads program.
Sam
This might be my new favourite Vikki VanSickle book yet. I cried! I laughed! And it has a girl named Sam. :)
Jocelin
Feb 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
Love the illustrations and the story was really cute.
Ben Truong
Aug 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
If I Had a Gryphon is a children's picture book written by Vikki VanSickle and illustrated by Cale Atkinson, which centers on an imaginative little girl dreams of an exotic pet.

VanSickle's text is rather simplistic and straightforward. With simple rhymes, the narrative of a girl with ochre skin, rosy cheeks, and square-framed glasses imagines life with an array of mythological creatures as pets, because she is already bored with her hamster. Atkinson's illustrations are wonderfully done and
Whitney
Nov 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This charming, hilarious story (now in board book format) features a little girl who wants a pet that's slightly more exciting than her hamster. She imagines having a pet gryphon, unicorn, and manticore, as well as many other mythological creatures. In the end she decides that the care and maintenance of these pets would be a bit more than she can handle, and that her hamster is just fine.

The rhymes and plot of this kids' story are great, but it's the details in the illustrations that really ma
Elizabeth
Sep 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: evelyn-s-books
This is such an adorable book and goes through so many mythological creatures! The illustrations are wonderful and the rhyming lines flow easily so it is a great read-a-loud book.
Riane
Feb 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
2nd and 3rd year lower elementary students thought this was a great read. They loved learning about all the different creatures and we were able to then look at other books on some of those creatures. I would read this again with another group.
Rhianna
Jul 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is such a delightful and fun book about having a "boring" pet but realizing the perils of having such critters. (However, I need a kirin, not your logic.)
Amy!
Feb 26, 2017 marked it as picture-books
ADORABLE. I loved the illustrations.
Stephanie Tiner
Jan 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A hamster is a great pet for younger children just learning to care for their pets, but some might find them a little boring. But what kind of magical creature would be the best replacement?
My daughter and step daughter enjoyed this book. My step daughter is an older child who is currently reading chapter books and my daughter is three. My step daughter enjoyed it but it is below her reading level and my daughter likes it because it rhymes and has pretty pictures. But she was too young to
Polenth Blake
When a girl gets a new pet hamster, she finds him boring. Instead, she wishes for various mythical creatures as pets... but all pets come with downsides.

This is a cute story told in rhymes. The pets considered include a dragon, gryphon, kirin and kraken. Their downsides are shown in a real world context, like the hippogriff scaring everyone at the dog park, and the unicorn hiding under the bed. The artwork is colourful and funny, helping to bring to life the problems with each pet. T
Jim
Sam is a girl after my own heart.

And I would have loved this book when I was her age.

Even dinosaurs weren’t exotic enough for me when I was young; just as her hamster seems a bit boring to Sam.

We love monsters. Fascinated by the gryphon, manticore, and chimera, to imagine these sorts of creatures is much more interesting than real animals (whether a pet or extinct). And the diversity of mythological creatures is amazing - especially for a children’s book.

And the rhymes and pictures (along with the animals
Jezire C Akin
Jan 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing

If the cover of this upcoming children's book isn't enough to draw you in then definitely take my suggestion and pick this up.

It is so fantastical. A young girl gets a hamster and thinks she might want something a little more exciting. As she imagines have a gryphon, a kraken, a Sasquatch and many other exotic pants from the fantasy books she reads she starts to realize that the hamster is actually the perfect pet for her.

The art style is amazing and it has a lot
Karrie
Feb 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Sam has an ordinary pet hamster and from her books learns about the multitude of extraordinary creatures that she could keep as pets. I love the colourful illustrations of beasts from kelpies to manticores through to jackalopes. Entirely told in verse with the heartwarming ending for any petlover.
erin
Jul 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Kiddo wants this on repeat and loves the fantastical creatures. I, however, wanted more...more about the creatures and how they would be as pets. I really wanted to go further down that road -- at least about having a gryphon! -- but I'm sure the rhyming was quite the limitation on this. The illustrations are fun-lovely.

Kiddo: 4.5
Mama: 3.5
T. Kent
Dec 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read an ARC copy of this book and it was delightful. I love rhyming children's books, and the rhyming was perfect. A very imaginative way to state a simple theme of being happy with what we have :) The illustrations were lovely, and jumped off the page.
Joey
Feb 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2016
It is a little too much like "The Adventures of Beekle," except the imaginary creatures were mythological ones. Charming, though.
Stefanie Kellum
Dec 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Adorable. I will be giving this to library kids who aren't quite ready for Harry Potter. *I read a digital ARC of this title from the publisher via NetGalley.
Yeldah
Oct 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This children's illustrated book was the cutest thing ever!! I read it with my younger cousin and she loved it <3
I recommend it to all ages!
Ciara (Lost at Midnight)
This book was just so dang cute. The illustrations were just BEAUTIFUL and all the different creatures were so much fun. Definitely a must buy!
Margaux
Jun 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
My kinda picture book. A little girl just brought home her first pet: a hamster. She can't help wondering, though, what her life would be like if she had a more magical pet.
Anna (lion_reads)
Mar 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: charming, 2016
An adorable new book, gorgeously illustrated. A must-read for munchkins.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• The Day Santa Stopped Believing in Harold
  • It Came in the Mail
  • Caring for Your Lion
  • The Good Little Book
  • Robot Zombie Frankenstein!
  • Squirrels Leap, Squirrels Sleep
  • Sir Simon: Super Scarer
  • You Don't Want a Unicorn!
  • Lizard from the Park
  • Wild About Us!
  • How to Train a Train
  • The Secret of Black Rock
  • Little Puppy and the Big Green Monster
Everything I need to know in life I learned from children's literature. Growing up in Woodstock, Ontario I was a big library kid, burning through the spinner racks and entering every writing contest I was eligible for. My work ranges from contemporary middle grade fiction to magical, storytime-ready picture books.

I am currently living in Toronto where I work in children's publishing i