Start by marking “The Score (The Score #1)” as Want to Read:
The Score (The Score #1)

The Score

(The Score #1)

Going once…
Identity theft mastermind Lauren Kelly has always had a taste for the finer things—including Matt Connors, her lover and accomplice. But she’s not the only one…

Going twice…
When their partner, Yancy, stumbles onto a tycoon’s multi-million dollar bank account, Lauren expects everything will go smoothly—until she discovers Yancy and Matt are planning the ultimat
Published January 26th 2016 by Dafina (first published December 29th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about The Score, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Score

Yellagirlgc
4.5 stars ☆

I received a copy of this book from the publisher and NetGalley for an honest review.

Lauren Kelly went from being a hustlers wifey to a hustling wifey. When her mans drug empire was dismantled by the police she found herself and Matt a new way to make money. Stealing, kiting checks and emptying bank accounts. Lauren, Matt and their 'friend' Yancy have a big lick planned.
This was a book you don't want to put down. Your adrenaline is pumping right along with the people you're reading a
African Americans on the Move Book Club
Kiki Swinson’s new novel, The Score, is an Urban Classic that reads like a block-buster movie. The action is non-stop, the characters are real and believable, the literary technique is unique for an Urban Classic, and the outcome is unexpected.

Ms. Swinson’s first person narration technique for the main characters, Lauren Kelly and Matthew Connors, allows the reader to be a first-hand witness to the decisions and motivation each character uses to support and justify his or her actions. The reader
Mel
May 12, 2016 rated it it was ok
The premise was good. The characters weren't fleshed out or likable. But it was an entertaining read. It's told from Lauren, Matt and Yancey's point of views. More so Lauren and Matt. It would have been nice to hear from Yancey as the book was closing. The ending set things up for a part 2. I think it could have ended there.
Lesa Divine
3 🌟

Predictably but a ok read. Lauren, Matt and a friend all hard up on money as the schemes, scores has them taking money that isnt theirs. But taking from the wrong person may get you in trouble.

Just ok but how this ended I'm curious in reading book 2.
Kim Walton
Mar 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a fast paced read. Lauren is a smart woman. She has brains but chooses to use that talent in the wrong way. I felt that Lauren was a smart woman, but a weak female. She constantly took abuse from Matt who was clearly a piece of dog Sh.t. Matt was sleeping with any and everything with a hole and still would profess his love to Lauren.
I was not surprised when one of Matt's side pieces, Yancy turned on Lauren. Yancy had played them both from the very beginning. When she could not get Matt
Lakecia Allison
Sep 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Kept me on edge! This book is action packed! This was the worst heist ever smdh. After all they went through...Matt, Yancy, and Lauren are catching hell. The hell continues and I cannot wait to read the follow up. Poor Lauren, Derek, and now the baby! I hate Matt!
Kathleen
Mar 16, 2016 rated it did not like it
IF I COULD HAVE GIVEN THIS BOOK A NEGATIVE STAR I WOULD.

I felt compelled to sign up as a user on Goodreads just so anyone who is interested in purchasing/wasting their time losing brain cells reading this book could avert this tragedy. BE FOREWARNED, THIS IS THE MOST POORLY WRITTEN, UNBELIEVABLE, UNREALISTIC and frankly DUMBEST BOOK I have ever read in my entire existence. I couldn't even fully read the last few chapters (more like grazed) because it became more and more absurd/unrealistic and
Tia
I enjoyed all of the flashbacks. They were the best parts of the book.

Previously I'd read 'The Wifey Series' by Kiki Swanson and enjoyed it. So, when I saw 'The Score' and read the synopsis I was eager to give it a go. Lauren was a chameleon. She was the brains in the operation, but unfortunately had a distrustful jealous boyfriend and a gullible envious hood rat friend, not a good combination.

Lauren knew what she was doing was wrong, but took it very seriously because she didn't want to do it
Karen
Jan 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book was provided by the author for an honest review!!!

The Score is filled with action and drama that will keep you on your toes. Lauren, Matt, and Yancy have a credit card and check cashing scheme operation that fills their pockets with money. Yancy founds a wallet that gives them access to a bank account with 3 million dollars. They develop a plan to obtain the money from the bank account. The money is obtained from the bank account and the trust begins to fall. Lauren is hurt because he
Denise Gilliam
Mar 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book was average to me. It started off boring and then it picked up really good. It was very fast past and all Kiki gave great details in the book. I hope it's a part to because a lot of things were not answered in this book.
Myuncutreality
Jan 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
This read like it should be on the big screen. Full of believable drama and action packed. I can't wait for a sequel. #ReadingKeepsMeSane
Punkin
Feb 15, 2016 rated it did not like it
The book dragged and the ending was just horrible I love kiki Swindon books but this book didn't do it for me.
HairyTurkeyLegs
Jul 13, 2018 rated it did not like it
Bless
Nov 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Very good read. It was very interesting and I am intrigued by the memories in this book. Great job Mrs. Swinson. I can't wait to read part 2. I can't believe Lauren finally had a baby and suprised that Matt didn't back down.
Marissa
Mar 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A shocking, attention grabbing storyline with detailed character development. I enjoyed and recommend this five star read. Eagerly anticipating what happens in book 2, The Mark. Looking forward to reading more from this author.
Jenn
May 11, 2017 rated it liked it
Not quite what I was expecting but enjoyable read.
I’kia Nicole
Wow

I need part 2 asap. Matt and Yancy definitely needs karma to catch up with them. I hope that Derek and Lauren come out on top. I need part 2 asap. Great job.
Ave Whitfield
Apr 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thrilling!!!!!

A very good read. Lauren is an authentic character which made me continue reading. And Matt is one crazy man. Can't wait to read the next book.
andrea williams
Jul 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent

This book was good from the beginning to the end. I would recommend this book. I really enjoyed this book. Can't wait to read part 2.
Verlean
Jan 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The story kept me riveted the whole way through! Can't wait to dive into the second installment!
Kandise Ross
Oct 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Awesome page turner, finished the book in like 2 days starting The Mark ( book 2 ) ASAP!!
Chanell
May 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book was amazing I loved it a lot I wish it was a little bit longer, but everything else was perfect I loved Loved Loved this book.
BARBII
Jan 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely love this book!!!!!!
Chantell Phillips
Aug 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well laaawwwddd! Now I've gotta get book 2. This is why I hate series. I think that I like this author.
Carmen
May 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was a good read. I did not like Mat character and the fact that he thought payback did not include him.
Yolanda Knight- Palmer
Dec 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was so fun of Drama, Lauren was a street thief that made her living taking other people's stuff, yeah she and her partner Matt was living large until they stole three million dollars from the wrong man.
Shida
Aug 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really enjoy reading this fast-paced book action-packed now moving forward to The Mark!
Sav
May 28, 2016 rated it did not like it
You expect to begin a story with flawed, maybe even unlikable characters but for them to grow as the plot progresses. That did not happen here. Lauren, Matt, and Yancy are all foul, selfish and mean. They can't see each other past themselves. They are evil to each other in the worst ways. Betray each other at the drop of a hat. Which would all be okay if they experienced any character growth or heck, even remorse, over the course of the book. They don't.

In fact, they get even worse.

I hated them
Nancy
Dec 09, 2016 rated it it was ok
Kiera
Jan 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The Score, is non-stop action and drama from beginning to end. I felt as if I were reading a movie script, instead of just a book. It paints a very vivid picture in the mind. What I loved about the characters were that they were believable; it was almost as if they were talking to me, telling their story firsthand. Each character seemed to plead their case to me, justifying their actions and decisions. Often throughout the book, I found myself choosing first one side, then switching to another. ...more

• The Fix
  • Hood Misfits (Volume 3)
  • The Banks Sisters 3
  • Dirty Rotten Liar (The Misadventures of Mink LaRue, #3)
  • Luxe
  • Passing Love
  • The Streets Have No King
  • The Men of Brewster Place
  • Guard the Throne
Kiki Swinson was born and raised in Portsmouth, Virginia. She discovered her flair for writing after completing her first novel, Mad Shambles, while serving a five-year sentence at a federal prison.
After being released in December 1996, Kiki later went on to self-publish Mad Shambles. Her passion for writing didn't stop there. Writing feverishly into the wee hours of the night, she completed her

The Score (2 books)
  • The Mark (The Score #2)