Start by marking “The House That Zack Built” as Want to Read:
The House That Zack Built

The House That Zack Built

A buzzy fly and a mischievous kitten make a mess on the farm in this contemporary twist on a classic rhyme.

This is the fly that
buzzed on by
over the house
that Zack built . . .

Readers in the know may recognize Zack and his trusty dog, Rufus, from Alison Murray’s Hickory Dickory Dog. Now Zack is enjoying a day on the farm, building an amazing house with his blocks. But nearby
Published February 9th 2016 by Candlewick Press (first published March 6th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The House That Zack Built, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The House That Zack Built

Start your review of The House That Zack Built
Tasha
Nov 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Zack built a house out of blocks outside under a tree. A fly buzzed by, the cat stalked the fly, then got more interested in the cream up high on a shelf. The dog was asleep when down fell the cream, knocked over by the cat who was still looking to catch that fly. The lambs in the field are calm and quiet, then the dog runs through still covered in cream and the sheep dash out of the field. Then Zack looks around, amazed at the mess of the farm. He jumped into action and set it all right. Then t ...more
Tracie
Mar 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture_books
A classic rhyme gets a fresh twist in this cumulative tale that uses bouncing verse and bright illustrations to unfold delightful mayhem on a farm. Fans of the author's previous book (Hickory Dickory Dog) may recognize Zack and his canine sidekick, Rufus, but The House That Zack Built can stand alone. The story is brought to a happy, satisfying close as quick-thinking, resourceful Zack restores order in the farmyard. Featuring crisp rhymes that beg to be said out-loud, this is a perfect pick for ...more
Dee-Ann
Cute story based on the original poem/rhyme of similar name. Cute, oldish pictures. We liked following the path of the fly.
Meekat
Sep 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The title of this book, 'The House that Zac Built' is a picture book aimed at younger children from the ages between 2-5. This story was a retelling version from another book called. 'The House that Jack Built' but was adapted for younger children.
The book can be used to identify different animals and their sounds within the classroom. It is a classic nursery rhyme and is used to encourage children to remember different animals. This can be very beneficial for children that are EAL, as the teac
Julia Thorp
The House that Zac Built is a picture book targeted at younger children (2-5 yrs old). It is an adaption of another book called The House that Jack Built, however is changed so that it is more accessible for younger children.
The story can help identify different animals and the sounds that they make. It rhythmically follows a nursery rhyme and then can help children remember animal names more easily. Due to the pictoral and musical element to this book, it can be a very powerful tool for childr
Cristy
Feb 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Most people have heard of the children’s story called the house that Jack built. This is a retelling of that classic story. There are a few differences. The main characters name is Zach, not Jack and he is building with blocks instead of a real house. Fans of the classic story will like this one. The illustrations are really cute and colorful. I would recommend this for any collection.
Pam
Nov 20, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Zack spends the book building his block house while the action takes place around him.
He shoos off a fly when it lands. The cat chases the fly and triggers a chain of reactions from other animals on the farm. In the end, Zack takes care of the mess and solves the various problems.
Use for cause/effect.
Meg McGregor
May 03, 2019 rated it it was ok
In this twist of the traditional nursery rhyme, Zack builds a house out of blocks.

I didn't really care for the illustrations or the text.

The only reason, this book didn't get a lower rating, is that the girls liked the kitten, in the story!

Hopefully, I will like other books by this author!
J
Sep 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
The kitty is so cute. It's fun to read this a little dramatically. The kids I read to have pretty short attention spans and this story is a touch wordy in spots, but doing the story dramatically kept them paying attention (for the most part) until the end.
Jenna Mills
Quite fun though the ending was completely unrealistic
Danette
Jul 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Cute!
7/6/2018 Read with Julia.
Michelle
Paul Terpstra
Nice story and illustrations
Adrianna
Sep 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I truly enjoyed this book. I had never read a book before by Alison Murray, who is a Scottish children's author and illustrator. I loved the rich colors that filled every page and how they were vibrant and ranged from green to red to orange to yellow. I enjoyed the rhyming that was a constant fixture throughout the novel. On one of the pages, the author stated, "These are the lambs, calm and serene..." I thought she did a fantastic job of illustrating lambs in a field of grass on a farm while a ...more
Becky
Jan 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
First sentence: This is the house that Zack built. And this is the fly that buzzed on by, over the house that Zack built. This is the cat that stalked the fly that buzzed on by, over the house that Zack built.

Premise/plot: A retelling, of sorts, of The House that Jack Built. Zack, the house-builder, lives on the farm. And animals feature prominently in this retelling.

My thoughts: While I am not a fan of The House That Jack Built, I am very much a fan of The House that Zack Built. Part of the ch
paula
Not my all-time favorite of Alison Murray's marvelous books - what I love about her art is the way her digital compositions mimic some of the artifacts of physical art processes - the sticky texture of block-printed color, the crumbly edge you get when you've used tape to mask an area - and in this one there is less of that.

BUT - the book is nevertheless a charmer, transplanting "The House that Jack Built" onto a farm, with rhymes that work and a few fun words that invite exploration.
Matthew
Mar 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
This rhyming text structured after the oh-so-famous House That Jack Built is amusing in that it narrates a barnyard calamity that is truly Rube Goldberg worthy. That is to say, one thing leads to another and another until the entire barnyard is one dizzying whirl of chaos. I think kids would get a real kick out of this one. It's silly and fun, and kids will recognize a disaster in the making from the early stages. Well done.
Katie Fitzgerald
It threw me off that the text doesn't strictly follow the pattern of The House that Jack Built, but otherwise, this wasn't bad. I think it worked better than the first book about Zack, Hickory Dickory Dog. ...more
Ms.Gaye
Oct 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
I really like this tale that isn't strictly cumulative throughout. It stops intermittently with dramatic moments, just right for keeping a preschooler's interest. The pictures are engaging, with many cute faces and scenes depicting a definite sense of action. Children can follow the fly as he buzzes around too. Great for storytime. Ages 2-6.
Kristina Jean Lareau
A fun modernization on the Mother Goose rhyme "House that Jack Built."

Repetition that is different enough to be interesting, great digitally-rendered illustrations and short enough for the attention-span of a toddler, "The House that Zack built" is made for story times.
Samantha
Mar 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
A fresh take on the nursery rhyme in which Zack visits a farm and is building a structure out of blocks when a mischevious cat and a house fly nearly destroy the farm.

Fun read aloud for PreK-2 with vibrant digital illustrations.
Angie Quantrell
May 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Wonderful adaptation of a book with a similar title. Love this version and the entire concept. A pesky fly, a determined cat, a creamy dog, and the other usual farm animals join Zack as he builds a house.
Janet
Jun 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Based on the old folk motif, "The House that Jack Built", this is a delightful barnyard romp where many things go amiss, but Zack takes control and all is righted again.
Always enjoy the art work of Alison Murray.
Annie
Dec 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Charming. An update of "The house that Jack built" that has the same satisfying rhythm and repetition, but with richer language and a more appealing story.
Edward Sullivan
Jan 23, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
The characters from Hickory Dickory Dog return in this lively, colorfully illustrated take another nursery rhyme.
Allison
An interesting take on a Mother Goose cumulative tale. And, as usual, I loved Murray's illustrations!
Feb 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Combines the themes of "The Fly Went By" and "The House that Jack Built" into a fun romp through a farm.
Feb 23, 2016 rated it liked it
I never really cared for the building storyline books. But this one is cute and I love the Chris Raschka-ish illustrations.
Nicole

• Fergal in a Fix!
  • The Goodbye Book
  • The Chicken Thief
  • The Suitcase
  • Moby Dick (Graphic Novel)
  • Playing from the Heart
Alison Murray studied textile and interactive media design. After graduating, she moved to London where she did a variety of jobs, including selling books and designing rugs, before cofounding a successful interactive media company. She now mainly works as an illustrator and author of picture books, but still dabbles with interactive media and web design. She has published several books, including ...more