Start by marking “Bringing the Outside In” as Want to Read:
Bringing the Outside In

Bringing the Outside In

A rollicking book that reminds young readers to go outside and play!

“We’re bringing the outside in, oh, bringing the outside in. . . .”

Nothing takes the place of splashing in a puddle or jumping into a pile of autumn leaves. Along with the mud and sand that gets tracked indoors come memories that live forever! Mary McKenna Siddals has written a joyous anthem that encour
Published February 9th 2016 by Random House Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Bringing the Outside In, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bringing the Outside In

Start your review of Bringing the Outside In
The Library Lady
This is a versatile little book that could be used to talk about the seasons, about outdoor play, or just enjoyed as a lap read. The brief verse and bright pictures remind me of one of my favorite annual reads at story time, Caps, Hats, Socks, and Mittens: A Book About the Four Seasons, and this too has group appeal. This has the added bonus of potential audience action, with things like sweeping and shaking. Very nice. ...more
Charity
Jul 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I am always interested to see which books the boys gravitate towards. Particularly if they like the same ones I do. It's not unusual for them to like something that I don't. This received a 4 stars, because they loved it and I thought it was ok. When asked why he liked it, Sam said it was because of the patterns of the words. Very much like a song and verse.
Taylor Kundel-Gower
Mar 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
So very cute. Gave me the warm fuzzies!
Olivia Slykhuis
I love the illustrations in this book. They're lovely, feature everyday diversity, and have great seasonal colours and cute details and textures. This book explores being indoors and outdoors in all four seasons, and the idea of keeping memories or collectables from nature. Would be neat to do with a nature collection activity. Could have good conversations of the kinds of things we like to do in each season. Also seems like a book that could incorporate some singing. I will try to use this.
Aileen Stewart
Jun 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Bringing the Outside In is a story of children enjoying the outdoors through each season, how they track bits of it in, and how the pictures taken provide memories of the outside times that can be savored over and over. The beautiful illustrations add depth to the story and make this a perfect book for children four to eight.
Lynda
Apr 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens-books
Lyrical little book with charming illustrations of a family enjoying all kinds of weather. My 4 yo enjoyed the happy expressions on the children’s faces. “I want to do the same thing like them - bring the outside in! I love this book!” - V, age 4
Vivian
Mar 03, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Celebrate the seasons in five (yes, five) delightful stanzas. It seems enjoying the outdoors requires some cleaning up when coming back inside -- all part of the fun. The final stanza is about remembering the moments through photos. The illustrations depict children of several races.
Teresa
May 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
4 ethnically diverse kids explore each season, go inside and clean up after themselves. Preschool or daycare? But they end up PJ's.

Whatever, its exuberant, then cozy. Completely charming.
Julia Crainshaw
Feb 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Darling illustrations, as fun for adults as children. Lots to talk about - changing seasons, advanced vocabulary...
Miss Clark
Jan 12, 2019 rated it really liked it

Cute illustrations, nice rhyming. A keeper.
Cecilia
Aug 10, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book was not to my tastes, and I just couldn't finish it. It would probably be perfect for children (and others!) that love music, though.
Caitlin Rhea
Mar 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I love how this book encourages young children (and their parents) to embrace nature and enjoy the outdoors in every season!
Shari
Nov 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrensbooks
Celebrating the joy of playing outside. The sing-song repetitive text and adorable illustrations guarantees it will be a hit with little ones.
Marcia
Mar 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
A sweet celebration of the seasons and the joy of playing outside. The illustrations are very cute and have a retro feel while being fresh and diverse.
Vicki
Mar 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture
Love books about getting outside and the seasons.

Water color type illustrations with diverse children enjoying themselves.
Tasha
Jul 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
This picture book invites children to head outside and play in every season. The book begins in spring with children outside carrying umbrellas and jumping in puddles. They play with worms and get good and muddy. Then they head inside to dry off, dump out their boots, and mop up. Summer comes next with sand, water and shells. They carry it back inside with them too as they wash up from all of the sunshine. Autumn is next with apples and leaves that need to be picked off and raked up. Finally, th ...more
Beverly McCall
A delightful and inspiring book encouraging young children to get out doors and play. Mary McKenna Siddals employed a repetitive structured to pull of the lyrical cadence in her rhyming text. The illustrations are well done and help to support the text allowing youngsters to make visual connections to the text. I also liked the way Ms. Siddals prioritized outdoor activities and supplemented them with indoor activities, thereby, helping students to make connections. In the classroom, teachers can ...more
Bethany
Apr 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book, seasons
Four diverse kids at what looks like a home daycare cavort outdoors in each season, returning to the house with bits of nature still clinging to them. Brush off, clean up, and start all over again!

The rosy illustrations and sweet-faced children make the fun look positively frolicsome. Photos and mementos from their adventures are gathered and remembered at the end of the year.

A winsome book of the changing seasons!
Janet
Apr 26, 2016 rated it liked it
This is a good title which shows children playing outside and when they go in they clean or put away the outside that comes in. . .you know like sand on your feet from the beach. Or they warm the cold in their fingers. All four seasons are presented in this title which is done in a rhyming text with a refrain, bringing the outside in, then. Charming and I think young children will be motivated to discuss there adventures about playing outside and what they have brought into their homes.
Sheri
Jan 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book is about going through the seasons and getting outside in the fresh air to explore and exercise. It is lyrical like in a song and rhyming text. Shows the children in different clothing fitting the seasons and the pictures show them having fun while getting outside to play. The children in the paintings or illustrations appear to be having more fun outside than inside and save their pictures to share later when inside with their mother. Nice slice of life type story.
Jerry
Jul 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Preschool through 2nd grade
A small group of ethnically diverse children play together outside, then bring elements of the seasons back indoors with them. They clean up their messes and put things away, only to bring out photos of these memories to look at again and again. Simple text and soft watercolor illustrations make this a gentle storybook to teach the differences in seasons and the importance of making memories with friends and family. Delightful!
Laurie
Mar 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
I LOVE Patrice Barton's illustrations! And it just so happens that she gets paired with wonderful authors. This is a sweet poem that celebrates nature, encouraging children to explore outside in each season and to treasure those memories. And I love that there's a little dog tagging along on these adventures. Cute, cute, cute!
Juliana Lee
Four children love to play outside in all types of weather. When they come into the house they have to clean it up and put it back outside again. Mud, rain, sand, leaves, snow... it all has to go back out. But they keep their memories inside in a photo box which they can review anytime they want to bring the outside back in again.
Kristina Jean Lareau
This fun rhyming picturebook feels like a song, and feels fresh despite being a fairly typical season story. Barton's illustrations are sketched in pencil and colored digitally, giving it a wonderfully bright, yet soft-edged feel. This would serve as a great read aloud for most prek age groups and really, the illustrations are just dynamically delightful.
Monica
Sep 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
The repetition of this would make it awesome to read with kids, and get them helping. It would also lend itself to talking about the experiences. The rhythm of this book really made me want to sing it, but I couldn't quite figure out a tune.
Todd
Apr 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Following the seasons, four diverse kids (and one small dog) show the value of time spent outdoors. When it's time to come inside, some of what has been brought in needs to be cleaned up, which can be fun, too. A natural selection for story time that almost all young kids will be able to relate to.
Angie
Mar 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book remind us all of the pure joy of playing outside! The rhyming text and repetition lends itself to this little tune I made us that I sing it to.
Patrice Barton's illustrations are gorgeous, as always.
Silence
Audience: Preschool
Plot / Review: This one is a great pick for showing kids what fun there is to be had outside all year long.
Illustrations: Cute, but small
Read aloud: Yes, but since the book is on the smaller side, it might be hard for large crowds to see in a storytime.
Bethe
Jan 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Love the walk through the seasons as the kids get outside and play. The rhyme flows so well I kept thinking that surely there is a tune I don't know that goes with it. Lovely illustrations and be sure to look under the dust jacket at the different case art.
Sara
Jun 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-lit
I actually hugged this book after reading it to my kids. We will be adding this to our shelves right away!
« previous 1 3 next »

• Insect Detective
  • Mango Moon
  • A Different Pond
  • A Camping Spree with Mr. Magee
  • Apples to Oregon: Being the (Slightly) True Narrative of How a Brave Pioneer Father Brought Apples, Peaches, Pears, Plums, Grapes, and Cherries (and Children) Across the Plains
  • Goldilocks and the Three Dinosaurs