Jump to ratings and reviews

Bringing the Outside In

A rollicking book that reminds young readers to go outside and play!

“We’re bringing the outside in, oh, bringing the outside in. . . .”

Nothing takes the place of splashing in a puddle or jumping into a pile of autumn leaves. Along with the mud and sand that gets tracked indoors come memories that live forever! Mary McKenna Siddals has written a joyous anthem that encourages children to play in the dirt. It will surely resonate with today’s overscheduled as well as sedentary kids, and their parents.

32 pages, Hardcover

8 books10 followers

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
14 (4%)
1 star
1 (<1%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 72 reviews
Profile Image for The Library Lady.
3,550 reviews509 followers
May 31, 2016
This is a versatile little book that could be used to talk about the seasons, about outdoor play, or just enjoyed as a lap read. The brief verse and bright pictures remind me of one of my favorite annual reads at story time, Caps, Hats, Socks, and Mittens: A Book About the Four Seasons, and this too has group appeal. This has the added bonus of potential audience action, with things like sweeping and shaking. Very nice.
Profile Image for Charity.
43 reviews2 followers
July 11, 2019
I am always interested to see which books the boys gravitate towards. Particularly if they like the same ones I do. It's not unusual for them to like something that I don't. This received a 4 stars, because they loved it and I thought it was ok. When asked why he liked it, Sam said it was because of the patterns of the words. Very much like a song and verse.
Profile Image for Erin.
3,587 reviews45 followers
September 3, 2016
A delightfully sing-songy celebration of the seasons. The illustrations are soft and old-fashioned, and draw attention to the joyful wildness of childhood adventures.
Profile Image for Cynthia Mackey.
Author 2 books15 followers
December 10, 2021
This picture book is so rhythmical and easy to read. The words just roll off your tongue. And the delightful illustrations show many ways that children can enjoy the natural world. I love the authenticity of showing the mess and the clean up that comes with being outside. While reading this to my nature preschool class, they were enthralled. The rollicking meter really pulls readers in and the story is relatable as it depicts all the kind of things children do outside. A great book for encouraging children to experience the joy of the outdoors!
Profile Image for Olivia S.
695 reviews5 followers
March 9, 2018
I love the illustrations in this book. They're lovely, feature everyday diversity, and have great seasonal colours and cute details and textures. This book explores being indoors and outdoors in all four seasons, and the idea of keeping memories or collectables from nature. Would be neat to do with a nature collection activity. Could have good conversations of the kinds of things we like to do in each season. Also seems like a book that could incorporate some singing. I will try to use this.
Profile Image for Aileen Stewart.
Author 7 books67 followers
June 27, 2017
Bringing the Outside In is a story of children enjoying the outdoors through each season, how they track bits of it in, and how the pictures taken provide memories of the outside times that can be savored over and over. The beautiful illustrations add depth to the story and make this a perfect book for children four to eight.
Profile Image for Kathleen.
1,140 reviews4 followers
August 10, 2020
This short picture book in rhyming verse makes me wish I lived someplace with seasons. The imagery and pictures are great for outside loving kids who like to splash in puddles and bring in muddy boots and coats. It's not one for me to own, but one that I'll get again from the library in a couple of years.
Profile Image for Vivian.
2,397 reviews
March 3, 2018
Celebrate the seasons in five (yes, five) delightful stanzas. It seems enjoying the outdoors requires some cleaning up when coming back inside -- all part of the fun. The final stanza is about remembering the moments through photos. The illustrations depict children of several races.
Profile Image for Lynda.
1,289 reviews9 followers
April 18, 2018
Lyrical little book with charming illustrations of a family enjoying all kinds of weather. My 4 yo enjoyed the happy expressions on the children’s faces. “I want to do the same thing like them - bring the outside in! I love this book!” - V, age 4
Profile Image for Jared White.
782 reviews17 followers
December 3, 2021
An adorable book about how when you play actively outside you inevitably bring a bit of outside in. I love that this has a multiracial household, there is an Asian American, one who could be Hispanic, one African American, and one who is white. I also love that the last pages show the kids when they are older, looking back on memories/pictures of their long-ago outdoor adventures.
791 reviews
May 26, 2017
4 ethnically diverse kids explore each season, go inside and clean up after themselves. Preschool or daycare? But they end up PJ's.

Whatever, its exuberant, then cozy. Completely charming.
Profile Image for Shari.
2,049 reviews
November 20, 2017
Celebrating the joy of playing outside. The sing-song repetitive text and adorable illustrations guarantees it will be a hit with little ones.
Profile Image for Marcia.
3,199 reviews16 followers
March 20, 2018
A sweet celebration of the seasons and the joy of playing outside. The illustrations are very cute and have a retro feel while being fresh and diverse.
Profile Image for Doris.
104 reviews1 follower
August 19, 2021
pretty art. rhyming book about the seasons. nice read.
Profile Image for Kelly Taylor.
179 reviews4 followers
July 8, 2022
Cute concept, but I couldn't find the rhythm the author was trying to achieve in her verse.
Profile Image for Vicki.
4,492 reviews15 followers
March 8, 2017
Love books about getting outside and the seasons.

Water color type illustrations with diverse children enjoying themselves.
Profile Image for Tasha.
4,115 reviews102 followers
February 11, 2016
This picture book invites children to head outside and play in every season. The book begins in spring with children outside carrying umbrellas and jumping in puddles. They play with worms and get good and muddy. Then they head inside to dry off, dump out their boots, and mop up. Summer comes next with sand, water and shells. They carry it back inside with them too as they wash up from all of the sunshine. Autumn is next with apples and leaves that need to be picked off and raked up. Finally, there is winter with snow and ice that can be carried in and the children thawed out before a fire.

This is truly a celebration of playing outdoors. Each season begins with the line “We’re bringing the outside in, oh, bringing the outside in…” When the children head inside the line is repeated and readers can see how parts of being outside are actually brought inside with the children. The book ends with a collection of items saved from their year outside and slightly older children wanting to look through all of their treasures together.

The illustrations show such joy from the children as they spend time together outside. Grins spread ear-to-ear on their faces as they fly kites, stomp in puddles, jump in leaves and sled in snow. This book is pure warmth too, as children dry off, warm up and come back inside happily as well.

A book that shows the pleasure of being out of doors, this picture book should lead to a great ramble outside. Appropriate for ages 2-4.
Profile Image for Beverly McCall.
Author 2 books24 followers
Read
October 8, 2016
A delightful and inspiring book encouraging young children to get out doors and play. Mary McKenna Siddals employed a repetitive structured to pull of the lyrical cadence in her rhyming text. The illustrations are well done and help to support the text allowing youngsters to make visual connections to the text. I also liked the way Ms. Siddals prioritized outdoor activities and supplemented them with indoor activities, thereby, helping students to make connections. In the classroom, teachers can lead discussions helping students make the connection tto enjoying the outdoors year-round. No excuses just have fun with outdoor play.
Profile Image for Bethany.
506 reviews13 followers
April 13, 2016
Four diverse kids at what looks like a home daycare cavort outdoors in each season, returning to the house with bits of nature still clinging to them. Brush off, clean up, and start all over again!

The rosy illustrations and sweet-faced children make the fun look positively frolicsome. Photos and mementos from their adventures are gathered and remembered at the end of the year.

A winsome book of the changing seasons!
Profile Image for Janet.
2,327 reviews27 followers
April 26, 2016
This is a good title which shows children playing outside and when they go in they clean or put away the outside that comes in. . .you know like sand on your feet from the beach. Or they warm the cold in their fingers. All four seasons are presented in this title which is done in a rhyming text with a refrain, bringing the outside in, then. Charming and I think young children will be motivated to discuss there adventures about playing outside and what they have brought into their homes.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 72 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.