Start by marking “At First Blush” as Want to Read:
At First Blush

At First Blush

Who would have thought that a teenager could have a successful career creating makeup tutorial videos on YouTube? For Lacey Robbins, this dream has been her reality. An up-and-coming YouTuber, she has thousands of fans and can't wait for the day when her subscriber count reaches the one million mark. And when she is offered a high school internship at On Trend Magazine, ...more
340 pages
Published April 4th 2017 by Bloomsbury Spark

To ask other readers questions about At First Blush, please sign up.
Beth Summer thank you, Sioux!! :) I got the idea after a binge-watching session of YouTube makeup tutorials. I've never been great with makeup application and…morethank you, Sioux!! :) I got the idea after a binge-watching session of YouTube makeup tutorials. I've never been great with makeup application and these videos really helped me. I had NO idea what a fascinating and dramatic world the online makeup community is! The comment section in particular is a war zone, the cattiness between other gurus...there's even a website dedicated to trash talking these girls. I knew I had to write a book about it! (less)
Beth Summer yay, thank you, Janice! It's standalone as of now (but I'd love to write more) :)…moreyay, thank you, Janice! It's standalone as of now (but I'd love to write more) :) (less)

Start your review of At First Blush
Kristina
Mar 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really really enjoyed this book. It was everything I wanted when I picked. it up......err.....opened it on my Kindle Lacey was such a likable character that if she were a real Beauty vlogger I would also binge watch all of her videos.

I know that as soon as this book comes into stores I will be doing what I can to pick up my own copy.

I received an advanced reader copy in exchange for a fair review.

this book comes out on April 4, 2017
Medeia Sharif
Apr 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book takes you behind the scenes into makeup vlogging and magazine interning. The reader is also immersed in a fantastic main character (Lacey), her personal growth, and her romantic life that presents conflicts. I’m glad to see books that present online personas, since it’s timely and many young people have their internet selves via Youtube, Instagram, and other platforms, which may or may not be compatible with their real selves. This is a fast read that I read in two days.
thai
One thing you might not know about me is that my favorite thing to read are fluff young adult books. So maybe my viewpoint on this book could be affected by that. Meaning, I absolutely loved this book so much because of all the unproblematic cuteness around.

Lacey is a teenage girl who has a successful youtube channel about make up tutorials. Her goal is to make a career out of it, and she finds herself closer to achieving that goal when she's picked as one of the three youtubers to intern at a
Crystal Collier
Mar 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017
Self discovery, sweet romance, and a plot that wins!

I'm going to admit one very sad truth. It's been YEARS since I truly enjoyed a contemporary novel. No John Green, please (I HATE CRYING), and Anna and the French Kiss left me so disappointed that I almost gave up on the genre altogether. BUT, this fabulous book has completely changed my mind. What a wonderful read!

The story opened with a love/obsession with makeup, and I found myself thinking, "Oh boy, here we go"--including a sarcastic eye
Leandra
Mar 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A fantastic contemporary debut that made me smile, laugh out loud, swoon, and stress alongside the main character, Lacey. I'm not too versed in the world of makeup, Youtube, and improv shows, but I really enjoyed learning more about it as I followed along w/Lacey. She's a character you love to root for, with just the right amount of humor & sass (I love that in my main characters!)

As for Tyler, the leading man, at first he was getting the squinty-eye from me. But it wasn't long before he'd
Carrie (The Butterfly Reader)
I watch YouTube quite a bit, even though I've pulled back a little because of all the drama on there, so it was cool to get to read about this young woman who loved YouTube. She was a beauty Tuber, you know, the kind that make you feel like crap because no matter how much you try and can never make your eyeliner look as awesome as theirs... wait, just me? Never mind.

Lacey is starts out loving YouTube, even missing prom for it. I like how she starts to change through the book, how she starts to
Lovely Loveday
Mar 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I was very excited when I got to read an Advanced Readers Copy of At First Blush By Beth Ellyn Summer! When I read the book summary I knew this would be a book I would like to know more about. I also read this book in one sitting! Summer does an outstanding job with the plot line, characters and settings. You really can relate to a lot of the things happening in this book. Lacey Robbins has a YouTube channel called Lacey Blushes and manages to land a summer internship with On Tread Magazine ...more
Tiana
Everything about this book was perfection :)
Beth Summer
Jan 25, 2017 marked it as to-read  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: my-books
AT FIRST BLUSH is officially in the world! To everyone who has taken the time to read it, rate it/review it, thank you SO much! <3 ~Beth
Ezgi Tülü
Jun 10, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks
Actual rating: 3.5 stars

I liked At First Blush - it was a fun contemporary novel all about first love, learning about yourself and finding out what makes you happy and what you want to do in life. Since I kind of do YouTube myself, there were times I saw myself in Lacey but that was a rare occurance.

I'd like it a lot more if it didn't had the cliche "you're the only one who sees me for who I am" thing going on with Tyler and Lacey. I'm kind of fed up with that one girl who's not enamoured with
Chelsea
Apr 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
At First Blush gave me so much more than I expected when I received this book for review. I have to say I'm pretty obsessed when it comes to Youtube, and since I don't have cable most of my time is spent watching Youtube videos of pretty much any kind. So when I heard what this book was about I knew I had to give it a try and sent it a request. What I didn't know what how good of a read it was going to turn out to be.

Lacey Robbins is an up and coming Beauty Guru on Youtube who scored a summer
Kristy Mauna
At First Blush was ridiculously cute! Like most contemporaries, it was totally predictable, but I just could not get over how adorable our two main characters, Lacey and Tyler, were! So I didn't mind it at all.

The story centers around Lacey, AKA LaceyBlushes, who is a YouTube beauty guru. First off, I find this world of YouTubers fascinating. I follow a lot of beauty gurus online, and even though I don't know much of what goes on behind the scenes, I think it was portrayed well. And I really
Kate ☀️ Olson
Let's start this with a plea to Bloomsbury Spark to get this ebook into paper publishing ASAP - I guarantee it would be a huge hit in my high school library! I would hand it to every single girl who loves the "Anna and the French Kiss" series by Stephanie Perkins, as well as the Morgan Matson et al fans. As an adult reader who adores Sophie Kinsella and other frothy, feel-good chick lit, I was completely captured by this story and fully appreciated the timeliness of the YouTube, vlogging, ...more
Lauri Rottmayer
Mar 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! It was so cute.

Lacey is a 17 year old YouTuber who's channel is about make-up and called LaceyBlushes. She is chosen as an intern for On Trend Magazine for the summer along with two other YouTubers who have more followers than she does. She wants so badly to do a good enough job to get a contract with Glass Cube and be a professional Youtuber with sponsors and a production staff. There will also be a guest editor and she's hoping it will be someone involved in make-up or
Julie   (*Happily Ever Chapter*)
Lacey is a beauty vlogger of LaceyBlushes on Youtube and gets chosen as an intern for On Trend Magazine for the summer, along with two other vloggers with different niches. She is hoping that if she does well she can gain more followers and eventually get a contract with Glasscube, so she can get sponsors and a production staff. She is hoping the client they will be working with is a woman that loves makeup, but they end up with a rockstar who is trying to make his comeback after leaving his ...more
Samantha (WLABB)
Mar 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, 2017-debuts, ya, arcs
Rating: 4.5 Stars

Lacy lives for her YouTube channel and dreams of reaching that one million subscriber mark. She is one of three YouTubers selected for a summer internship at On Trend Magazine. Her job will be to rep the products from a sponsor selected by the magazine and to help with the image makeover for brooding pop star, Tyler. She wants her channel be the next big thing, but what price is she willing to pay?

I LOVE romances like this. When I was reading it, I kept getting that Jennifer E
Katy Upperman
Oct 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
1. Teen YouTube beauty guru! I’m a junkie when it comes to watching makeup reviews and tutorials on YouTube, so I fell easily and happily into Lacey’s world.
2. Relatable self discovery. I love that Lacey has an abundance of challenges to deal with, and that they all help her learn and grow in different ways. Even though I’ve (sadly) never interned at a magazine, I still connected with Lacey on various levels, and I wish we could be real life besties.
3. Cutest romance. Guys, Lacey and Tyler are
Kristin Smith
Apr 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I've found a new favorite YA contemporary author! I absolutely LOVED this book! I loved the characters, the romance, the music scene, the makeup tips and tricks, the improv show, the YouTube vlogging—I loved everything. I read it in a day because I seriously could not put it down. And AHHH, the tension between Lacey and Tyler is EPIC! Talk about slow burn...

If you haven't read this book, you absolutely MUST! It is now one of my fave YA contemporary books EVER. I really hope the author comes out
Hannah G.
Sep 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book is so good you guys--it's complete and utter marshmallow fluff and I love it with all my heart. Read it when you need some cheering up, or just whenever you want to have ALL the feels.
Sakhile
Dec 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
I've been on a YA romance roll lately which is strange because romance is my least favourite sub-genre of young adult.

What drew me to At First Blush by Beth Ellyn Summer (besides the gorgeous cover) is the makeup vlogging protagonist. As someone who loves makeup tutorials I was really interested in reading this book.
Lacey has a YouTube channel and she gets to be part of an internship with OnTrend that could lead to big opportunities. Opportunities that mean she could afford to go to college.
Melanie Hooyenga
I bought this book a few months ago and I'm kicking myself for not reading it sooner. Lacey is an absolute delight. Not perfect -- but so real. As someone with multiple social media accounts (nowhere near what she has) I know how it can consume your life.

The slow burn with Taylor is delicious and I loved learning about makeup through Lacey's eyes. The secondary characters are well developed and I found myself rooting for everyone to get what they want.

Definitely recommend!
Leah
Mar 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
At First Blush is one of the cutest reads of the year, and it’ll take a mighty, mighty book to beat it for me. It had everything I love in a book – it’s contemporary which is an automatic yay, YouTube which I love because let’s be real: a lot of things go down on YouTube so it’s only right that we can read about YouTuber’s in books, which isn’t really happening too much AND it’s a love story with a rock star. CAN I GET A HURRAY? I absolutely love books about famous people. Some will scoff and ...more
Ash †Reviews of a FearStreetZombie†
I received this book via NetGalley in return for an honest review.

Sorry, this book just wasn't my thing. I'll admit it keep me drawn in but it also constantly gave me migraines every time I read it... not to mention kept my anxiety shooting through the roof. I wanted to like this book. I really did. But I didn't.... So this review may not come out to nice. Fair warning. I would also like to throw in that in my opinion this book fits under middle grade than young adult...

I liked Lacey. She seemed
Stephanie
Feb 15, 2018 rated it really liked it

So, this was a cute Valentine's Day read (and my third book in three days - yay!) despite the fact that I know next-to-nothing about make-up and even less about vlogging. I have come to the conclusion that I have a special kind of weakness for romances featuring misunderstood rocker boys - and this book definitely had me covered on that front.

Lacey and Tyler were nicely rounded characters and I thought their early relationship development was a lot of fun. There were also some fun side
Ashley Urquhart
Mar 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
I was not expecting much from this book but it totally blew me away! I am a full-blown convert to the YA Celeb Romance genre and this book totally delivered on that front. I liked the main characters quite a bit right from the start. Lacey seems like a really sweet girl and I love how she’s always thinking about her fans and subscribers. Tyler is a good character as well though we don’t really get to know him on as deep a level as we get to know Lacey since the book is in her POV. Their ...more
Lauren R.
3.5 stars. That was cute! Definitely frustratingly dramatic at times (classic miscommunication, MC thinking she knows what's best for everyone when she doesn't, naivety re: people with ulterior motives, etc.), but overall enjoyable. I like celebrity/regular person romances sometimes, and the YouTube, makeup, and internship elements were fun aspects too (aka she wasn't really a "regular person" and had some element of celebrity as well).
Kelly Hager
Lacey is a Youtube star who's just gotten her dream internship at On Trend magazine. It'll boost her followers and maybe even get her a Glass Cube contract. Better still, she'll have access to so much makeup (her channel is beauty vlogs). And then she meets the celeb guest editor: Tyler Lance. He was in...I guess you'd call them a Hanson-esque boy band? But he's now a solo act with a bad rep. And he's (a) super cute and (b) seemingly into Lacey.

This book is adorable. I seriously dare you to
Suzanne
Aug 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was super fun! I knew nothing about what was involved in being a YouTuber before I started this book, and now I have a clue. It also made me want to make more of an effort with my makeup. But most of all, I loved the swoony romance between Lacey and Tyler. More from Beth Ellyn Summer, please!
Leah
May 04, 2017 rated it liked it
This was a cute story. I liked Lacey and Tyler, and I liked the romance between them. I thought that it would be a bigger part of the story though. I didn't like his family, but I did like hers. I liked reading about Lacey's career, and the changes she made involving her career path.
Jessica Fether
Jul 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars - Cute ... and I liked the glimpse into the world of YouTube.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Wesley James Ruined My Life
  • If I Fix You
  • Almost Impossible
  • Things I Should Have Known
I write contemporary YA stories that always seem to involve fame, makeup, and television.

I used to intern for Conan O'Brien and Jimmy Fallon where I learned the fine art of comedy, and also the answer to the age old question: just how many interns does it take to refill the water coolers?

I possess an uncanny ability to tie any life situation back to High School Musical.

AT FIRST BLUSH is my debut